Biggest mistake of the offseason

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
imagine lynch in a packers uniform? why didn't we bait him with skittles? damn.

D

Deleted member 6794

imagine lynch in a packers uniform? why didn't we bait him with skittles? damn.

The Packers don't need a 31-year old running back that has taken only six rushing attempts since November of 2015. In addition he made it pretty clear that he only wants to play for the Raiders.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't need a 31-year old running back that has taken only six rushing attempts since November of 2015. In addition he made it pretty clear that he only wants to play for the Raiders.

hey, i'd rather him than peterson. at least it will be amusing to see him carrying the ball while popping skittles into his mouth.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
considering the biggest and most important event in the offseason is coming up in about week, with months more of the offseason to come after that, I find these articles akin to being done before you even get your pants down. Completely unproductive, very embarrassing and pretty much useless.

Shouldn't you be prepping for your next great draft pick Ted? Now is no time to be distracted by a message board.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Shouldn't you be prepping for your next great draft pick Ted? Now is no time to be distracted by a message board.

Can you believe the nerve of that guy? Suggesting that we wait until after the offseason to assess the offseason...

Some people, am I right? Just a TT shill.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I think he's soft for not breaking Suh's leg in half after standing RIGHT there and watching Suh step on Rodger's foot purposely I have to say letting Lang go. Yes a huge cap number I get it, but right now we have 0 guards with more than 20 starts on the roster. Yes we picked up Jahri Evans today, but he's 33 and I'm concerned how much mileage we get out of him.

D

Deleted member 6794

As much as I think he's soft for not breaking Suh's leg in half after standing RIGHT there and watching Suh step on Rodger's foot purposely I have to say letting Lang go. Yes a huge cap number I get it, but right now we have 0 guards with more than 20 starts on the roster. Yes we picked up Jahri Evans today, but he's 33 and I'm concerned how much mileage we get out of him.

Well, Evans has started a total of 169 games in the NFL, quite sure that qualifies as having a guard on the roster with more than 20 starts. In addition he still excelled in pass protection.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, Evans has started a total of 169 games in the NFL, quite sure that qualifies as having a guard on the roster with more than 20 starts. In addition he still excelled in pass protection.
DANG!! That's almost more starts than the rest of the starting OL combined.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT will still need to draft a guard in the third round. Even with Evans, there is zero depth at guard and center. Any injuries to the guard or center position and the season could unravel in a hurry. Sorry but Barclay doesn't count. You can count on him killing five drives a game with sacks, missed blocks and hurries if he has to play. While TT didn't land a corner that can cover a first or second WR, the lack of depth at guard and center has the looming potential to derail the season when injuries eventually hit.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly can't say he doesn't have experience :) If he has anything left, it's a really good signing. That's a lot of years, but that's a lot of history of being productive too. I'm sure they'll pick OL later mid rounds again for competition. I'm sure the 4 plus Jari will compete for that position too. One of them will emerge capable, i feel fairly confident of that.

D

Deleted member 6794

TT will still need to draft a guard in the third round.

Once again, history suggests otherwise. I expect Thompson to use a day three pick to add depth on the interior of the offensive line but there's no reason to believe he will address it earlier.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, history suggests otherwise. I expect Thompson to use a day three pick to add depth on the interior of the offensive line but there's no reason to believe he will address it earlier.
We all know that TT usually leaves nasty holes in the roster so what he will do and what he should do are two different things. It would not surprise me if TT doesn't address the interior line and merely throws a few free agents or low draft picks into the mix. Knowing that injuries will almost certainly hit the o line, it would make sense to draft somebody in the third or fourth round with some talent to work with.

D

Deleted member 6794

We all know that TT usually leaves nasty holes in the roster so what he will do and what he should do are two different things. It would not surprise me if TT doesn't address the interior line and merely throws a few free agents or low draft picks into the mix. Knowing that injuries will almost certainly hit the o line, it would make sense to draft somebody in the third or fourth round with some talent to work with.

Unfortunately cornerback, edge rusher and running back are more glaring needs and have to be addressed first.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I read some disturbing numbers this morning in the WSJ. They confirmed something that has been in the back of my mind, but I never saw fully in print until today, a day, when it appears that yet again, we may see a draft for the Packers that goes heavy on defense.

The past 5 drafts have seen the Packers use every 1st round pick on a defensive player and 10 of their first 15 picks over that 5 year span have also been used on defense. No other team has spent that much draft capital on defense in the same time frame. The Patriots are the closest, having used 3 first and 2 second rounders on defense. The disturbing part of all this to me, is not just the amount of draft resources being pumped into the defense, but more importantly, the results, or lack of, that it has produced on the field.

I think these numbers show the hidden frustration that many of us have that TT keeps thinking he can fix the defense via the draft and not go out and sign better FA's than just House and Francois. Let's hope that tonight's draft as well as the development of all the guys we have drafted (that are still on the team) in the past 5 years, somehow produces a defense that reflects the draft resources that TT has been pumping into it.

Also, one has to think about the "side effects" that this is bound to have on the offense. If it wasn't for Aaron Rodgers, I would view our offense as one that could be on the verge of becoming very thin, at least TT has decided that he can fill the TE position with FA's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The past 5 drafts have seen the Packers use every 1st round pick on a defensive player and 10 of their first 15 picks over that 5 year span have also been used on defense. No other team has spent that much draft capital on defense in the same time frame.

And still suffers from lack of depth/talent in that area.

Fingers crossed for this draft.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the OPPOSITE of biggest mistake, and IMHO the BEST thing TT did this offseason: NOT trading away Hundley on Friday.
http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...rst-in-draft-but-did-they-do-enough-to-fix-it

If they can get Hundley on the field more this preseason and even run-up some leads to get him 4th Qtr. playing time on occasion he'd get A LOT more in trade than a 2nd or 3rd rounder. The Packers got a steal when they grabbed him with a 5th round pick, showcase the kid & let him start next year (somewhere other than GB, as AR needs to stay happy/healthy for another 4-5 yrs.).

D

Deleted member 6794

If they can get Hundley on the field more this preseason and even run-up some leads to get him 4th Qtr. playing time on occasion he'd get A LOT more in trade than a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Packers fans have to stop acting as if Hundley has done anything special aside of excelling against second and third stringers in preseason two years ago. In addition when was the last time a backup quarterback that hasn't even started a single game yielded much more than a second round pick in return???

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Missed the point, WIMM. My premise is to showcase Hundley this pre and regular season to maximize his trade value, even though he is still AR's back-up. I also believe he is considerably better than Tolzien 2 yrs. ago as a backup, ready to step in and give GB a good chance to win in AR's absence.

I don't believe it to be a stretch to say that with his talent and coaching the last 2 years that he couldn't, today, be the starting QB (a better one) on at least 5 teams: SF, Houston, Jets, Cleveland, Buffalo, & quite possibly KC, Chicago & AZ. Those teams are hoping/praying that one of "their guys" or a recent draft pick will step-up and be adequate, or an aging guy will stay healthy.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I read that the Packers were shopping Hundley during the draft and didn't find anyone who wanted to give them what they wanted in exchange.

Packers are in a Catch-22 with Hundley, they want to get him meaningful snaps during the regular season to increase his value in a trade, but in order to do that either AR has to get hurt or get caught deflating (inflating) some balls. I don't think a series or two during "mop up duty" at the end of a regular season game means much more than a preseason game. We saw Hundley in that role 4 times in 2016 and he was 2 out of 10 for 17 yards and 1 TD, nothing special to hang your hat on. Probably the best thing that could happen with Hundley, short of AR going down and Hundley shines in his absence, is that he plays really well in this pre-season and possibly the next and the Packers find someone willing to give them more then they would receive in a compensatory pick by letting him walk at the end of the 2018 season. But all of that also hinges on the Packers having someone at QB that can be a #2 if they purge Hundley. I know Hundley probably will want to find a job as a starter, but for now, I am fine with having a capable #2 QB for the next 2 seasons and not worry about what he is worth in a trade and evidently it's not a whole lot at present.

Sky King

Reaction score
...Probably the best thing that could happen with Hundley, short of AR going down and Hundley shines in his absence, is that he plays really well in this pre-season and possibly the next and the Packers find someone willing to give them more then they would receive in a compensatory pick by letting him walk at the end of the 2018 season...

It worked for Matt Hassellbeck. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It worked for Matt Hassellbeck. ;)

I digress....back to football!

Yes, Hasselbeck had 13 regular season completions for the Packers in 2 years playing behind Brett Favre. Yet the Packers traded him to the Seahawks for the Seahawks' first-round selection, the 10th pick overall, and their third-round selection, the 72nd pick. Seattle also received the Packers' first-round choice, which is No. 17 overall.

Members online

Latest posts