Biggest mistake of the offseason

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
My guess would be TT had a top dollar value for Lang, he offered it or close too and Lang decided to look elsewhere and found out that the Lions wanted to pay a lot more. Lang's agent may have inquired if the Packers would match it, they obviously didn't.

How much is "being loyal" worth to a player? I am sure it varies from player to player and situation to situation, but at the end of the day, I think fans place a higher perceived value on it more than players themselves do.

Well probably never know the full details but I don't think TT handled it correctly. If he wanted to keep Lang at a reasonable price he should of been extended much earlier.

I think a lot of fans let it go with the idea of Lang leaving because we got tricked into Thompson might actually get aggressive in free agency. Now we're sitting here with no Lang and no no.1 corner and a bunch of cap space. Makes absolutely no sense.

On top of all that we have the most overpaid player in the league currently on our roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well probably never know the full details but I don't think TT handled it correctly. If he wanted to keep Lang at a reasonable price he should of been extended much earlier.

I think a lot of fans let it go with the idea of Lang leaving because we got tricked into Thompson might actually get aggressive in free agency. Now we're sitting here with no Lang and no no.1 corner and a bunch of cap space. Makes absolutely no sense.

I was absolutely fine with Thompson letting Lang leave in free agency. There's no reason to spend $9.5 million per season on a soon-to-be 30-year old guard.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I was absolutely fine with Thompson letting Lang leave in free agency. There's no reason to spend $9.5 million per season on a soon-to-be 30-year old guard.

That's fine but at this point would you rather have Lang and a 9.5 mill Cap hit or 20 plus million in cap space that wonthe get used this year?

Plus if Lang was extended earlier it might be closer to 7-8 without so much money guaranteed on back of contract. Well never probably know the real numbers but I'm focusing on the 2017 season and not 2019 like Thompson is.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's fine but at this point would you rather have Lang and a 9.5 mill Cap hit or 20 plus million in cap space that wonthe get used this year?

I would prefer to currently have a #1 cornerback on the roster instead of having more than $20 million of cap space to spend.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't know why people are freaking out about the amount we have in cap space......yes, we need players and I "hope" (word of the day) that TT isn't done signing a FA or two. But call a spade a spade......"You aren't happy with Ted's decisions thus far", not "I am pissed off we have so much cap space."

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I would prefer to currently have a #1 cornerback on the roster instead of having more than $20 million of cap space to spend.

I understand that and so would I but with that not happening I'm just saying I would rather have Lang to stabilize the OL this season instead of that available cap space.

Yes, Corner should be the number 1 area of prioroty where money is being spent but it's not working out that way for some apparent reason.

Wait, I do know the reason. It's called "Hope". ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

I understand that and so would I but with that not happening I'm just saying I would rather have Lang to stabilize the OL this season instead of that available cap space.

Even with the Packers having sufficient cap space I don't think it would have been smart to match the Lions' offer for Lang.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Even with the Packers having sufficient cap space I don't think it would have been smart to match the Lions' offer for Lang.

Not me either. My point was if Lang was to be kept he should of been extended earlier at around 7-8 per with less guaranteed money on the back end of his contract. I believe at the time he would of went for it but once it got so close to free agency he was all but gone.

I was not shocked to see Lang go but a little shocked to see both Tretter and Lang go.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not me either. My point was if Lang was to be kept he should of been extended earlier at around 7-8 per with less guaranteed money on the back end of his contract. I believe at the time he would of went for it but once it got so close to free agency he was all but gone.

Once again, I'm not convinced Lang would have signed for less with the Packers than what the Lions offered.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you give me an example then of a plan that wouldn't be based on some hope?

Hundreds from my time in the USMC alone. You figure out the situation, make a decision, plan and execute. Want to sit on your *** and 'hope' things will turn out ok and take care of themselves? Good luck with that.
As for a football plan, check out BB and the Pats off season. Not just the moves they made, but how they've backed themselves up with options and fallback positions. They're set up to do more; they're not done yet.
Meanwhile, we 'hope' the kids can turn it around this year, and 'hope' there will be someone good available when we pick in the draft.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hundreds from my time in the USMC alone. You figure out the situation, make a decision, plan and execute. Want to sit on your *** and 'hope' things will turn out ok and take care of themselves? Good luck with that.
As for a football plan, check out BB and the Pats off season. Not just the moves they made, but how they've backed themselves up with options and fallback positions. They're set up to do more; they're not done yet.
Meanwhile, we 'hope' the kids can turn it around this year, and 'hope' there will be someone good available when we pick in the draft.

So in your opinion, the Packers' plans is to sit in their ***** and hope?

Thank you for your service.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So in your opinion, the Packers' plans is to sit in their ***** and hope?

Thank you for your service.

No , not my opinion. They are , however , more reactive than proactive. Too risk averse. Ted seems incapable of stringing together moves or thoughts.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No , not my opinion. They are , however , more reactive than proactive. Too risk averse. Ted seems incapable of stringing together moves or thoughts.

I don't think I'm all the way there with you, but that makes sense.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you give me an example then of a plan that wouldn't be based on some hope?

Student preparing for exam and a bachelor trying to score in a bar have hope. NFL coaches prepare. The saying goes "Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst". It's not really a plan if you are just hoping to stumble to SB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you figure? Aaron Rodgers drafted when you already have a HOF'er that went on to play another 6 years and appeared in 2 more NFCCG's. He was hardly done. Being able to release sitton and not miss a beat. other than 1 year where it was a bit stumbly, always having a core of play makers, especially at WR to run this offense. We're talking a decade and not just 1 or 2 guys.

The draft to make the switch to a 3-4 from a 4-3

True he doesn't take all the risks everyone wants, but when he does it's usually pretty good for us. He's not perfect. I can understand not liking his plan, or his approach, but I don't understand how people come away with thinking he doesn't have a plan or is capable of stringing together a thought.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Student preparing for exam and a bachelor trying to score in a bar have hope. NFL coaches prepare. The saying goes "Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst". It's not really a plan if you are just hoping to stumble to SB.

As far as I can tell, this is all a fancy way of rephrasing the same criticism that TT didn't use free agency enough. I get it. But I think this is a little dramatic.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You can conveniently come up with any reason to not do something and that's what I see a lot of posters do here in regards to Thompson. Pretty soon you don't do anything and are left where we're at. So now you got a lot of people including myself tapering there expectations which is just unfortunate with a talent such as Aaron Rodgers. How Packer Nation got to this point is baffling to me.

I thought it was called "titletown" and it was all about "winning" yet I see very little urgency like everything is just fine. Why all the concern about 2019? In order to win at a high level you gotta be willing to take some calculated risks. Just sitting there with all this cap space "hoping" is lame. As it looks now were gonna go try and win a Super Bowl with well over 20 mill left in cap space. I'm sorry folks but we're just not that much better then everyone else that we don't need to use that $ to field a better roster right now. I don't know if it's ignorance or arrogance but it's not working. Maybe this whole show needs a couple years in the toilet to put things back into perspective correctly cause playoff failure alone doesn't seem to be registering.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which, if true, should set off alarm bells, as #3 CB's are in reality very much starters in today's NFL.
In reality... everyone in the secondary makes a lot of money...

So reverse engineering what's happening, into the mind of tt. I think the decision to pay Burnett and haha have already been made... and that will take up the lions share of the budget for the secondary. Imo...

I also think Ted is switching up the prototype of what he has been drafting for cb.
Hyde- great tackler, great hands, little slow. Randall-was a fs when drafted. A good tackler, great hands, and a tad slow...Rollins/gunter-- let me guess, good tackler/ hands but slow? Yep...even Hayward. Back 5 years ago...

Shields, the one fast guy goes down, and we have an implosion....
Tedster gonna go get some fast CBs...

Latest posts