Biggest mistake of the offseason

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I will forever remember Matt for his after the overtime coin flip comment he made in the 2003 NFC Wild Card Game with the Seahawks and what transpired shortly after.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

Missed the point, WIMM. My premise is to showcase Hundley this pre and regular season to maximize his trade value, even though he is still AR's back-up.

I don't believe it to be a stretch to say that with his talent and coaching the last 2 years that he couldn't, today, be the starting QB (a better one) on at least 5 teams: SF, Houston, Jets, Cleveland, Buffalo, & quite possibly KC, Chicago & AZ. Those teams are hoping/praying that one of "their guys" or a recent draft pick will step-up and be adequate, or an aging guy will stay healthy.

I don't believe teams will overpay for a quarterback solely based on his performance in preseason games. Hopefully there's no reason to showcase him in the regular season as that would mean Rodgers isn't able to play. In addition there wasn't a single team ready to spend a pick earlier than the fifth round on him in the draft only two years ago therefore I have a hard time believing another club would be willed to give up significantly more than a second round pick now.

Another thing to consider is that Hundley looked terrible in limited snaps in the regular season in 2016.

We saw Hundley in that role 4 times in 2016 and he was 2 out of 10 for 17 yards and 1 TD, nothing special to hang your hat on.

FWIW Hundley threw an interception but not a touchdown last season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which, if true, should set off alarm bells, as #3 CB's are in reality very much starters in today's NFL.
I actually see it as the reverse. My opinion is that Hyde was a decent player... but not quite good enough for that all important 3rd starting role. Combine that with the money he got, and he needed to go.

D

Deleted member 6794

I actually see it as the reverse. My opinion is that Hyde was a decent player... but not quite good enough for that all important 3rd starting role. Combine that with the money he got, and he needed to go.

While I agree that it was the right move to let Hyde walk away in free agency there's no doubt it would be alarming if Thompson doesn't value the nickel cornerback enough.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree that it was the right move to let Hyde walk away in free agency there's no doubt it would be alarming if Thompson doesn't value the nickel cornerback enough.
which was exactly my point... I think he does... and that Hyde was too slow despite his hard work and good hands to adequately play that all important position.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers fans have to stop acting as if Hundley has done anything special aside of excelling against second and third stringers in preseason two years ago. In addition when was the last time a backup quarterback that hasn't even started a single game yielded much more than a second round pick in return???
I am in no way comparing Hundley to Brett Favre... ( and I agree with your premise)... but Favre was traded to Green Bay for a 1st. Not sure if he ever started a game for Atlanta, but I doubt it since I believe he was 3rd on their depth chart.

D

Deleted member 6794

which was exactly my point... I think he does... and that Hyde was too slow despite his hard work and good hands to adequately play that all important position.

Well, Hyde was the best cornerback on the Packers last season though.

I am in no way comparing Hundley to Brett Favre... ( and I agree with your premise)... but Favre was traded to Green Bay for a 1st. Not sure if he ever started a game for Atlanta, but I doubt it since I believe he was 3rd on their depth chart.

You're right above Favre never having started a game for the Falcons, throwing two interceptions on only four pass attempts. That trade happened 25 years ago though.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Favre was a high second round choice for the Falcons and if you believe the stories the guy who gave up a first for him as the Packers GM a year later was all set to draft him with the very next pick as the GM for the Jets. There really is no comparison. Wolf really wanted Favre from the start and that's a huge difference right there between Favre and Hundley. I'm guessing if Wolf would have thought the Falcons were going to take him he would have tried to trade up to get ahead of them.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I've been wondering if the plan is to place Randall in that Hyde role. He seems suited for it.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre was a high second round choice for the Falcons and if you believe the stories the guy who gave up a first for him as the Packers GM a year later was all set to draft him with the very next pick as the GM for the Jets. There really is no comparison. Wolf really wanted Favre from the start and that's a huge difference right there between Favre and Hundley. I'm guessing if Wolf would have thought the Falcons were going to take him he would have tried to trade up to get ahead of them.
Which is why I stated in the original post that I was not comparing them. My response was to Cap alone simply pointing out that the Favre trade fit the parameters of his question. I even stated that I agreed with his premise in my original post...

H

HardRightEdge

I believe Randall is best suited to line up at free safety.
Agreed, of course, since I've been saying this since the day he was drafted. My only pause in this assessment was when teams didn't throw at him in his first 4 or so games his rookie season. Then they did.

That said, I don't expect that change of position to occur in a Packer uniform.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is why I stated in the original post that I was not comparing them. My response was to Cap alone simply pointing out that the Favre trade fit the parameters of his question. I even stated that I agreed with his premise in my original post...

I know you were not comparing the two talent wise just the not starting a game wise or was it the first round trade value but the fact that Favre had not started a game for the Falcons is nothing at all like Hundley not starting a game for the Packers and he was a border line first round pick to begin with.

If I understood your post correctly your contention was that it is not inconceivable that someone would trade for Hundley without him starting a game because Wolf traded for Favre and Favre had never started a game. In that one minor detail you are right but Wolf wanted Favre no matter what and the fact that he hadn't started a game was inconsequential to him. He didn't need to start any games because Wlf knew what he was getting and he was going to get him regardless of him not starting. I don't think Hundley is going to get much, if any interest from other teams unless he starts and/or at least shows something in a few games more meaningful than the preseason and he certainly is not going to garner any first round trade value consideration if that doesn't happen.

I agree with you that if Hundley starts several games (like half the season or more) and wins most of them and looks great doing it it is conceivable that he draws first round consideration. It's going to take a lot more than a good preseason showing or a few good mop up performances or a spot start here or there for that to happen though.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Randall is best suited to line up at free safety.
I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised this year when Randall returns healthy and hungry. In drafting him, he had all the measurables that other shutdown corners in the league have. I expect him to develop as part of a talented secondary. I remember it was only 2 years ago people talking about us having one of the deepest secondaries in the league. King for Shields and Jones for Hyde. With House and talented guys like Brice and Hawkins coming along, we are stacked.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised this year when Randall returns healthy and hungry. In drafting him, he had all the measurables that other shutdown corners in the league have. I expect him to develop as part of a talented secondary. I remember it was only 2 years ago people talking about us having one of the deepest secondaries in the league. King for Shields and Jones for Hyde. With House and talented guys like Brice and Hawkins coming along, we are stacked.
I'm just not sure if he's got the attitude. I think he's solid athletically and has ball skills, but needs to be a lot more physical and learn to press the WRs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Randall might have all the physical tools necessary to turn into a decent cornerback in the NFL but so far he hasn't been able to perform at a decent level on the field. While it's true the Packers cornerbacks were considered to be a talented position group two years ago the unit has since lost Shields, Hayward and Hyde while only adding House and King.

There's no reason to believe the unit is stacked by any means after the team's pass defense was one of the worst in the league last season and only a mediocre veteran and a rookie were added to the depth chart.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Depending on if you mean 2014 or 2015, Sam was a 5-6 year veteran. Subbing him our for a rookie doesn't seem like a valid comparison.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

We have some reason for optimism with a few new faces in the secondary but it's premature to call the secondary "stacked" at this point IMO. I wanna see these guys actually perform against NFL competition before I get too excited.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you were not comparing the two talent wise just the not starting a game wise or was it the first round trade value but the fact that Favre had not started a game for the Falcons is nothing at all like Hundley not starting a game for the Packers and he was a border line first round pick to begin with.

If I understood your post correctly your contention was that it is not inconceivable that someone would trade for Hundley without him starting a game because Wolf traded for Favre and Favre had never started a game. In that one minor detail you are right but Wolf wanted Favre no matter what and the fact that he hadn't started a game was inconsequential to him. He didn't need to start any games because Wlf knew what he was getting and he was going to get him regardless of him not starting. I don't think Hundley is going to get much, if any interest from other teams unless he starts and/or at least shows something in a few games more meaningful than the preseason and he certainly is not going to garner any first round trade value consideration if that doesn't happen.

I agree with you that if Hundley starts several games (like half the season or more) and wins most of them and looks great doing it it is conceivable that he draws first round consideration. It's going to take a lot more than a good preseason showing or a few good mop up performances or a spot start here or there for that to happen though.
Lol you sure want an excuse to expound on your ideas. I agree with them btw, but no you did not understand my post at all. You are reading way to much into my words. Despite my assertion that I was not comparing Favre to Hundley IN ANY WAY you insist on trying to find a way to assume I was lol. Again I was simply replying to Cap's question "when was the last time a backup quarterback that hasn't even started a single game yielded much more than a secon round pick" I was merely stating that on its face.... the Favre trade fit those specific criteria. Now I think we all agree that that was a very different situation. I really thought that was obvious and needed no further discussion. It was a simple statement made simply to give Cap a friendly ribbing nothing more.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol you sure want an excuse to expound on your ideas. I agree with them btw, but no you did not understand my post at all. You are reading way to much into my words. Despite my assertion that I was not comparing Favre to Hundley IN ANY WAY you insist on trying to find a way to assume I was lol. Again I was simply replying to Cap's question "when was the last time a backup quarterback that hasn't even started a single game yielded much more than a secon round pick" I was merely stating that on its face.... the Favre trade fit those specific criteria. Now I think we all agree that that was a very different situation. I really thought that was obvious and needed no further discussion. It was a simple statement made simply to give Cap a friendly ribbing nothing more.
I'm not too clear on the details...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Is it time to fire this thread back up again? :coffee:

I skimmed it a bit and I do have to say, that for all people who are now saying it was a mistake to let Hyde walk, go back and skim this thread. It reminds me a bit of the decision to let Casey Hayward walk, seemed logical at the time to most, but using hindsight as a measuring stick, some want to call TT an idiot for allowing it to happen.

What will happen this year with the Packers pending free agents?

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it time to fire this thread back up again? :coffee:

I skimmed it a bit and I do have to say, that for all people who are now saying it was a mistake to let Hyde walk, go back and skim this thread. It reminds me a bit of the decision to let Casey Hayward walk, seemed logical at the time to most, but using hindsight as a measuring stick, everyone wants to call TT an idiot for allowing it to happen.

What will happen this year with the Packers pending free agents?

The real mistake was sending Julius peppers on his way without so much as even asking him if he was interested in continuing his career in GB. Had the front office done their due diligence they would have landed a huge bargain. 3.5 million for 10 sacks and I think it's fair to say those sacks would have been good for at least one more win while Rodgers was out. Likely 2 wins and even just one extra win would have changed everything

Members online

Latest posts