Biggest "good" surprise of the Preseason?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geronimo has a lot of talent, but hasn't put it on display so far this year. He still warrants a roster spot and I suspect that he will play well under the lights. However, McCaffrey won't clear waivers and make it to our PS. Teams such as the Vikings and others would snatch him up in a heartbeat. I think he will beat one of our draft picks onto the 53. He's shown punt return prowess, which to me means that he makes someone like Janis expendable - despite Jeff having his best camp.

If special teams is the deciding factor between them, they will go with Janis. On special teams, coverage teams are top priority because it determines how hard your defense has to work. We have plenty of capable returners. We don't have anyone who guns as good as Janis and McCaffery is not big enough or strong enough to do it. McCaffery would have to have Desmond Howard return ability in order to beat Janis based on special teams, and he doesn't have that.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Any particular reason why?
I think McCaffrey has more natural athletic ability and has more versatility to play different Receiver positions and roles. I also think he has great intangibles.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think McCaffrey has more natural athletic ability and has more versatility to play different Receiver positions and roles. I also think he has great intangibles.
LOL... funny you say that because that's exactly why I think Allison is the better player.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's going to be cut. I don't see any of these new receivers taking anybody's position from last year. Maybe one stays for a week till Geronimo comes back

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jamaal, find the wind beneath your wings! you will be a hero! fly fly high!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's going to be cut. I don't see any of these new receivers taking anybody's position from last year. Maybe one stays for a week till Geronimo comes back
If the final game against the Rams has any bearing on this... I think Allison has shown that he deserves to stay.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
McCaffrey is better than I expected. I think he's ready to play and contribute right now. Also believe he has more long term value than Allison.

Still feel that way about Allison? Allison looks bigger and better this year. I think he showed tonight what he can and will do as the #4 this year and if Adams isn't signed, the #3 next year. I like McCaffery and I would take him over Janis. Sounds like Davis has been anointed as the new PR, if you believe Kevin Harlan, so it may come down to McCaffery or Janis, if only 6 WR's are kept.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Janis makes it. Max isn't better than any of the WR's, better routes than Janis probably, but he'll still be buried on the chart. He can return punts, but So can Davis and it sounds like that job is his and so can Randall. I love the way Janis plays gunner. everytime he was in, it seemed he was everywhere making the play. Now that we have a punter, put him and jones on there? we can suddenly be flipping fields when we need to.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure we can get Mccaffrey on the PS. I think he has more longterm upside than Janis as a wr. I go with Mccaffrey, and cut Janis.

I have:
Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Geronimo!, Davis, and Mccaffrey.

I grab Dupree, clark, and Yancey for Practice Squad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure we can get Mccaffrey on the PS. I think he has more longterm upside than Janis as a wr. I go with Mccaffrey, and cut Janis.

I have:
Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Geronimo!, Davis, and Mccaffrey.

I grab Dupree, clark, and Yancey for Practice Squad.

Agree with your assessment. McCaffrey will probably get scooped up immediately if we cut him.

I was high on Dupre when they signed him way back when, but I haven't seen too much or heard a whole lot of praise about him since, it will be interesting to see if he even makes the PS.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a WR, I agree. But I think special teams are going to take precedence for a receiver that will be that far down the depth chart. While I think he catches that ball well and has skills as a returner, they seem to have Davis as the return man. Though I don't think he catches it as cleanly. And Cobb. And Janis is still our best gunner.

I don't know if he can make it to the practice squad either but to me it just looks like we have his skill set covered by guys ahead of him. Besides a glimpse of Jones, I don't see anybody that covers Janis' skill set on coverage teams.

I guess maybe we could keep both? I haven't really tried to cut down to 53 to see where all the tough choices need to be made, but this would appear to be one of them.

I don't think any of the other receivers did anything to even have a shot at making the 53

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
McCaffrey's being on the 53 will probably come down to how many WR's the Packers keep.

I think these 5 are now locks: Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Allison, Davis.

Unless TT surprises us and trades one of those 5, the 6th spot is probably going to Janis. Davis is the only guy of the 5 that I would be OK with trading and he probably isn't worth much. I doubt they expose McCaffery to the waiver wire in week 2, by holding him for week 1 due to Allison's suspension and then trying to get him on the PS in week 2. If they aren't keeping 7 WR's and McCaffery isn't the #6, I would prefer seeing him cut in the next 24 hrs. in the hopes with 1000+ other FA's, he is barely noticed and can be resigned to the PS.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they aren't keeping 7 WR's and McCaffery isn't the #6, I would prefer seeing him cut in the next 24 hrs. in the hopes with 1000+ other FA's, he is barely noticed and can be resigned to the PS.
I really, really like McCaffrey but agree with this... except I'd keep him as #6 for a week while Allison is on suspension. Vested vet WR's may be more desirable after week 1 (year's salary isn't guaranteed) so teams would need to decide on an older, more proven vet or McCaffrey to add in week 2.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I really, really like McCaffrey but agree with this... except I'd keep him as #6 for a week while Allison is on suspension. Vested vet WR's may be more desirable after week 1 (year's salary isn't guaranteed) so teams would need to decide on an older, more proven vet or McCaffrey to add in week 2.

Good point, never thought of that. All I can think of is seeing him cut to make room for Allison and 31 teams taking notice due to very few waiver moves that day.

Also, if you have an IR type injury in between, Allison can take that players roster spot.

Bottom line for me, somehow I want to see McCaffrey still on this team. I think he has way more upside at WR than Janis and probably even Davis.

Belichick will probably offer TT a 7th rounder for McCaffery and turn him into a Pro Bowler.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Still feel that way about Allison? Allison looks bigger and better this year. I think he showed tonight what he can and will do as the #4 this year and if Adams isn't signed, the #3 next year. I like McCaffery and I would take him over Janis. Sounds like Davis has been anointed as the new PR, if you believe Kevin Harlan, so it may come down to McCaffery or Janis, if only 6 WR's are kept.
Long term yes. I still like Allison though. I think Janis could be odd man out.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Long term yes. I still like Allison though. I think Janis could be odd man out.

I know a lot of people like Janis, but him not making the team wouldn't surprise me. Although, besides McCaffrey, none of the younger receivers really did enough to leap over him. As long as the Packers feel like they can get 2 of Yancey, Clark or Dupre to the PS, both Janis and McCaffrey may both be on the 53 tomorrow.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they cut McCaffrey I don't think it really matters when. Do it when everyone else is, any team that has their eye on him, will know. If they're just window shopping, they didn't really want him that much anyway and if they aren't looking to replace someone on their roster, he's a PS candidate for them as well in which case he can go to whatever squad he wants to that also wants him. I have to believe GB would be one of those teams. Or if he's a week 1 cut to bring Allison back, teams have had an extra week to decide someone isn't worthy of their roster or maybe there is an injury on their roster. Or they've gone another week into the season and figure the reps and time to get up to speed for someone new just aren't worth it and stick with what they have. Either way, if someone wants him, they're going to know when he's cut. and I think the only way he stays is if we're keeping 7 WR's

D

Deleted member 6794

I truly believe that a lot of Packers fans put way too much emphasis on the sixth or seventh receiver on the depth chart either making the roster or being put on the practice squad. Taking a realistic approach at it none of the rookies will receive significant if even any playing time at all, especially with the team featuring one of the best tight end groups in the league.

Cobb played that entire year with an injured shoulder. In hindsight, he would have been better off just not playing based on all of the criticism he has received.

A lot of posters seem to completely forget that Cobb had 79 receptions in 2015.

If special teams is the deciding factor between them, they will go with Janis. On special teams, coverage teams are top priority because it determines how hard your defense has to work. We have plenty of capable returners. We don't have anyone who guns as good as Janis and McCaffery is not big enough or strong enough to do it. McCaffery would have to have Desmond Howard return ability in order to beat Janis based on special teams, and he doesn't have that.

I don't consider the Packers to be especially loaded with returners entering this season.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't consider the Packers to be especially loaded with returners entering this season.

Regardless, the Packers clearly valued Janis' ST contributions over McCaffery's. He'll probably end up on the PS and when a WR gets hurt I'm sure he'll be the first one they activate.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Regardless, the Packers clearly valued Janis' ST contributions over McCaffery's. He'll probably end up on the PS and when a WR gets hurt I'm sure he'll be the first one they activate.
And most likely leapfrog Jeff on the WR depth chart ;)

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know a lot of people like Janis, but him not making the team wouldn't surprise me.

Well, he did make the team and I'm not surprised at all. The Packers never said anything about him being on the bubble. The only ones who ever said that was a sports writer or two and a handful of fans. The only thing the Packers had to say about him was that he has made some good progress this year.

Athough, besides McCaffrey, none of the younger receivers really did enough to leap over him.

Um... McCaffery didn't do enough either.

Staff online

Latest posts