Biggest "good" surprise of the Preseason?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With one preseason game to go, we will see a lot of the guys on the bubble tomorrow.

Who is the player that surprise you the most this preseason and where do you see his future with the Packers?

Personally, I didn't really say "Wow" to any of the starters from last year. Martellus Bennett looks like a great FA pickup, but I expected the little I saw out of him. Was disappointed not to see anything from House, but have to hope he can improve the CB play from last year.

My 2 favorite players so far are WR's Michael Clark and Max McCaffrey.

Clark: This guy has been talked about all preseason, especially what he does in practice. The DB's say he is pretty easy to cover on his routes, but nobody can outjump him on a well thrown ball. Ummm....#12 can deliver just THAT ball. The problem is, he is probably still too unpolished to carry on the 53, but is some team out there going to snag him away from us before we can put him on the PS? Or from the PS once he is on there. Tough decision for TT and MM with this guy. Personally, I think he has all the tangibles to be a really good WR in a year and hope we find a way to keep him.

McCaffrey: Somewhat the same story as Clark. Nothing but glowing reviews out of camp and he has shown it during preseason games. I would put this guy on the 53 over all but Jordy, Cobb, Adams and Allison. But Davis and Janis offer up other things. I hope we get to see what Max can do running routes, catching the ball and returning punts tomorrow and just maybe, he will earn that #5 or 6 spot. I don't think he makes it to our PS if he gets cut.

Marwin Evans, Josh Hawkins and Kentrell Brice would be my next picks for pleasant surprises.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Clark : wasn't a surprise to me, I'm hoping Clark hangs on as the 7th wr on the 53. I think it ends up being Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Janis, Davis, yancey, and Clark to start the season then when Allison comes back yancey gets cut and ends up on ps with dupre and mccaffery.
2. Taysom Hill : didnt expect anything at all from him turns out he looks like next year he'll be able to step in as the number 2 after hundley is traded. Because if hill continues to progress over the year TT should defiantly trade hundley. Hill looks like he could get the packers a pick in 2 years learning from McCarthy and rodgers

D

Deleted member 6794

I was surprised by the performance of Josh Hawkins during the preseason. Entering camp I didn't expect him to make the roster but right now believe there's a possibility of him earning significant playing time during the regular season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
McCaffrey is better than I expected. I think he's ready to play and contribute right now. Also believe he has more long term value than Allison.

D

Deleted member 6794

McCaffrey is better than I expected. I think he's ready to play and contribute right now. Also believe he has more long term value than Allison.

While McCaffrey has definitely impressed during training camp I believe it's a stretch to believe he will have more value than Allison moving forward with Rodgers seemingly being impressed by Geronimo.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While McCaffrey has definitely impressed during training camp I believe it's a stretch to believe he will have more value than Allison moving forward with Rodgers seemingly being impressed by Geronimo.
I agree that Allison is in favor, and I like him too. I don't think his top end potential is as good as McCaffrey in the long run.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geronimo has a lot of talent, but hasn't put it on display so far this year. He still warrants a roster spot and I suspect that he will play well under the lights. However, McCaffrey won't clear waivers and make it to our PS. Teams such as the Vikings and others would snatch him up in a heartbeat. I think he will beat one of our draft picks onto the 53. He's shown punt return prowess, which to me means that he makes someone like Janis expendable - despite Jeff having his best camp.

Brice and Hawkins have looked incredible too. The Packers have an embarrassment of riches at WR and S. It would be fantastic if old Teddy could crank up his rotary phone and make a trade with a team lacking WR or S depth, picking up either an OL, OLB, or CB. To me, this is exactly what trades are meant for in the NFL. Find a trading partner with opposite needs and opposite surpluses. They are out there somewhere if you look hard enough.

D

Deleted member 6794

Geronimo has a lot of talent, but hasn't put it on display so far this year. He still warrants a roster spot and I suspect that he will play well under the lights. However, McCaffrey won't clear waivers and make it to our PS. Teams such as the Vikings and others would snatch him up in a heartbeat. I think he will beat one of our draft picks onto the 53. He's shown punt return prowess, which to me means that he makes someone like Janis expendable - despite Jeff having his best camp.

Brice and Hawkins have looked incredible too. The Packers have an embarrassment of riches at WR and S. It would be fantastic if old Teddy could crank up his rotary phone and make a trade with a team lacking WR or S depth, picking up either an OL, OLB, or CB. To me, this is exactly what trades are meant for in the NFL. Find a trading partner with opposite needs and opposite surpluses. They are out there somewhere if you look hard enough.

Allison has been decent in limited action during the preseason and he will definitely be activated to the active roster after his one game suspension. In addition I fully expect Janis to make the 53 as well. While the Packers seem to have a lot of talent at wide receiver and safety the team lacks experience behind the starters, therefore Thompson should be extremely hesitant to trade one of the veterans.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there have been many surprises for me this year. I did miss a game, and I don't watch practices or take much stock in others writing about it if I haven't seen it. But most of the things i've liked, I expected. Brice looks good back there. Hawkins maybe qualifies as a surprise, but he was better, but not outstanding in my eyes. Maybe I just caught the right plays, but Jahri Evans surprised me with how physical some of his blocks were :) But he was a probowler in the past, so is it a surprise that he can beat some people?

I was really hoping this was the season all of our WR "talent" would finally just jump out and say, "PICK ME!" but i gotta say, I didn't see it. sure some were ok, just like i've seen in guys every year in the past 10 years. that clark made one catch before I knew who he was. Nothing spectacular or anything in that first game, but something about the way he snatched that ball made me take notice. Then I watched and didn't see anything really special. I like the kid, if he works hard and learns the position who knows. Our other Clark on the Dline,I expected him to make a jump and it looks like he is poised to.

I really liked Davis' focus and he had a couple really nice returns. Good vision, commitment, and of course speed. He also showed he doesn't always catch the ball cleanly, same thing I thought about him last year. I could go on, but this is supposed to be about good surprises and I don't want to ruin the party anymore than I already have :)

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm going to call it! MC is our next driver and nelson. Nelson will take him under his wing and it will be a Nelson and MC duo just like it was with with Nelson and Driver! also, Nelson will finish his career as a packer. Just like Driver. Will Nelson net two rings?

other than that not much "surprise" this preseason beside Hill. My guy Jamaal busted. I still think it's the O line. He will soon fly like an eagle! Byu is going to face LSU this Saturday. I'm sure he, Hill, and Dupre will be watching!

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Perry.

Looks like he'll be having a career year.

If we do sign Ahmad Brooks, it'll give the D a much needed boost.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCaffrey. I really hope he makes the team. For some reason I am not crazy about Davis. Just think he is too unpredictable. McCaffrey looks confident and seems to make plays when he gets the chance.

Surprise in general. All the FAs TT has picked up including recently acquired Brooks.

eman6854

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The receiver thing is what bugs me about Rodgers. Consistency and being on the same page are important, but he turns on the young guys so quick. If you're watching a game and one of the not top 3 receivers has a drop or a mistake, the other team could practically stop covering that guy. Rodgers is very reluctant to throw to them again.

Week 1 I'd like to see
Jordy
Adams
Davis
Janis
McCaffrey
Dupre
Clark

Cobb gone only if you can move him via trade. Allison wouldn't be guaranteed a spot after his suspension.

D

Deleted member 6794

The receiver thing is what bugs me about Rodgers. Consistency and being on the same page are important, but he turns on the young guys so quick. If you're watching a game and one of the not top 3 receivers has a drop or a mistake, the other team could practically stop covering that guy. Rodgers is very reluctant to throw to them again.

Week 1 I'd like to see
Jordy
Adams
Davis
Janis
McCaffrey
Dupre
Clark

Cobb gone only if you can move him via trade. Allison wouldn't be guaranteed a spot after his suspension.

I'm absolutely fine with Rodgers only targeting receivers he has full confidence in as that results in him throwing a small number of interceptions every single season. It takes time for young players to gain that trust.

There's no reason to believe it might be smart for the Packers to replace Cobb and Allison with any combination of the five WRs you listed.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Week 1 I'd like to see
Jordy
Adams
Davis
Janis
McCaffrey
Dupre
Clark

While I understand what you are saying and I could be on board with it, if Rodgers was an average QB and only made his WR's look average. But Rodgers, however he goes about his business, like it or not, has been VERY successful, not only in his own game but in helping the Packers develop some pretty decent talent at WR.

Also, you may or may not have noticed, but AR isn't afraid to get into the ear hole of his top receivers too, they just don't require it as much as the young guys. He is a leader and he shows it on the field. I'll take that over a Jay Cutler who just has hissy fits on the sideline.

Cobb will be on the roster and with his current contract, not traded.

eman6854

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always look back to the Jordy injury year. Cobb is not a 1 or 2 we have other guys that could play slot, if his contract was different I don't think he would still be here. I'm not doubting AR but, when some of his "guys" go out the passing game struggles. I don't think it is merely the drop-off in receiver talent.

Sky King

Reaction score
To me, since the beginning of camp until now, the stock has risen the most for these younger, non-rookie players:
Allison
K. Clark
Davis
Price
Brice
M. Evans
McCaffrey
Hawkins
Randall
Tripp
(it's worth noting that only a scant few were drafted by the Packers)

Somewhat less improved are the following non-rookie players, although they most definitely have been trending upwards:
Rollins
Janis
Ringo
Murphy
Gilbert
Whitehead

I'm guessing that the over/under total for those listed above to make the 53 (once Allison has been reinstated) would be about nine players.

D

Deleted member 6794

I always look back to the Jordy injury year. Cobb is not a 1 or 2 we have other guys that could play slot, if his contract was different I don't think he would still be here. I'm not doubting AR but, when some of his "guys" go out the passing game struggles. I don't think it is merely the drop-off in receiver talent.

Actually Cobb's contract might be the only reason justifying to either trade or release him. Aside of Nelson and Adams the Packers don't have another receiver even being close to matching his talent level.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Actually Cobb's contract might be the only reason justifying to either trade or release him. Aside of Nelson and Adams the Packers don't have another receiver even being close to matching his talent level.

I know we have beat this to death in another thread, but with a $6.5M dead cap hit if they release Cobb this year, he isn't going anywhere soon. As you said, I think his talent as a slot far exceeds any of the current players to choose from. Now if he doesn't have a productive 2017, that dead cap drops to $3.25 M......something might happen then.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know we have beat this to death in another thread, but with a $6.5M dead cap hit if they release Cobb this year, he isn't going anywhere soon.

The Packers would still save more than $6 million in cap space by either trading or releasing Cobb before the start of this season. You're well aware that I'm not in favor of getting rid of him though.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb played that entire year with an injured shoulder. In hindsight, he would have been better off just not playing based on all of the criticism he has received.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Mcaffrey. Excited about his future.
2. Daniels. I listed him as having plateaued as a player. I think I was wrong. I watched him a few plays and I think he is stronger and better with his hands. OTs

Others: Kenny Clark, Rollins, Brice, Kendricks, Allison, and Mays.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts