Barnett Deal DONE

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The agent for Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett is in town. Sources say the Packers are close to signing Barnett to a long-term deal.

Barnett is in the final year of his rookie contract. He's set to make $1.95 million this year.

The middle linebacker has led the team in tackles three of his four seasons.

Barnett has been taking part in the off-season workout program. He has never threatened to hold out -- unlike Javon Walker -- if a deal wasn't done, but he hoped to have a new contract by the weekend of the NFL Draft.

Reaction score
Barnett Deal Close

This certainly is a surprise (buy pleasant) development.

I've thought Barnett getting a 4 year around 22-24 million dollar with 10 million guaranteed would be really fair value...

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Re: Barnett Deal Close

Say it ain't so, that 007 Ted let some news leak out of Packers HQ... Somebody is going to pay inside of 1265 Lombardi for letting some news slip out to us the fans. :whippin: *EDIT* I am just joking about.. not ripping on anyone.

In seriousness, this is great news for the Packers and the long term growth of this team. I really hope some day a prototypical strong point of attack MLB rises up (hmmm HODGE :thumbsup:) so that Nick can be moved to the Wil where his speed can be that much more of a impact. But emotional player such as Nick are the lifeblood of any strong defense. I am glad that this is getting done.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Barnett Deal Close

okay with rookies bout 3 to 4 million, and Nick's deal we are looking at around 6 million in cap room left..

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew TT wasn't gonna let Barnett go. They just wanted a fair deal for both sides. I'm glad to see him locked up for a long time!

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
great news! 6 year extension

Barnett agrees to six-year extensionBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Standout middle linebacker Nick Barnett, the Green Bay Packers' leading tackler in three of his four seasons with the club, on Tuesday agreed to a six-year contract extension, a deal that will keep him off the free agent market next spring.

Nick Barnett
Linebacker
Green Bay Packers

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
Tot Solo Ast FF Sack Int
105 62 43 0 2 2

Financial details of the extension were not yet available, but it is likely the guarantees in the new deal total at least $10 million. The extension culminates months of discussions between the two sides, with the negotiations having been ratcheted up in recent days.

Without the extension, Barnett, the team's first-round choice in the 2003 draft, would have been set to enter the final year of his rookie contract, with a scheduled base salary of $1.95 million. Had he played out the original contract, Barnett, 25, would have been eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring, and would have been one of the most coveted players in the market.

Barnett acknowledged earlier in the offseason that he wrestled with the notion of just playing under his current contract, and testing free agency, but conceded his priority was to remain with the Packers organization.

The former Oregon State standout has been a starter since the day he was drafted, and has appeared in all but two games in four seasons, all 62 of them as the Green Bay starting middle linebacker. There are some personnel people in the league who feel Barnett is actually better suited to the weakside linebacker position, but there is no denying that he has prospered in the middle, where the Packers probably will keep him.

He is valuable to a Green Bay defense that returns all 11 starters in 2007, not just because of his physical skills-set, but because of his knowledge of the overall scheme. As evidenced by his well-rounded statistics, Barnett is a three-down defender who, unlike most middle linebackers, does not have to leave the field in passing situations.

Barnett has 631 career tackles and led the team in that category each of his first three seasons before finishing second to then-rookie A.J. Hawk in 2006. Barnett also has eight sacks, seven interceptions, 29 passes defensed, one forced fumble and six recoveries.

Reaction score
Re: Barnett Deal Close

okay with rookies bout 3 to 4 million, and Nick's deal we are looking at around 6 million in cap room left..

I think that is a great estimate... just for those seeking more of a breakdown (and because I find the cap stuff fascinating and it's either this or going back to studying):

The Packers were using around 93.78 million dollars of cap space including Frank Walker's 1.24 million cap charge AND Cullen Jenkins average per year 4 million dollar cap charge

SOURCE FOR CAP INFO. (Cap space before start of Free Agency)

Let's say Barnett's average will be 6 million (so we have an estimate on the heavier end of the spectrum), so the total cap charge will be 99.78 million out of 109 million.

Now Packers are currently picking 16th in each round, and have 8 total picks. The closest team I could find to those stats from 06 (just for the sake of giving us a ballpark figure) was Philly, who picked #14 in each round and had 8 picks. Plus, the difference in draft spots will account for this years inflation in contracts to some degree, so that was also another advantage. Source.

Philly was alloted $4,256,970 for their cap pool. Now factoring in that TT may make trades to add a pick or two / undrafted Free Agents, inflation of contracts, and because it just gives us a much more round figure to play with, let's say that the Packers will use $4,500,000 on signing rookies and undrafted free agents.

99.78 + 4.5 = 104.28 million dollars of cap space being used AFTER the draft (IF the entire allocated rookie pool is used - many times it isn't).

109 - 104.28 = 4.72 million MINIMUM left over to play with (I've tried to get a figure on the "possible maximum amount used" end of the spectrum)

This is all very much rough work, but I do enjoy the cap side of the NFL and this is just me trying to take an educated (as much as possible) stab in the dark at the money the Packers will have left over. :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
one thing he said at 1st was he was kept out of the loop..His agent and ANDREW were working it out

Reaction score
RECAP OF WHAT WAS SAID ON BARNETT PRESS CONFERENCE

On the difference of approach between him and Javon:
Nick: I'm not that type of person... I wasn't gonna take that route.

OTHER PARAPHRASED POINTS ON WHAT BARNETT SAID:
- The stuff with his club would have had no bearing on his decision to stay with the Packers, Nick says that it was stuff not related to football.

- Free Agency next year was an option, but being a Packer was important, and he talks about how most players don't play with the same team their entire career, and he gets to play with AJ and Brady.

- He was optimistic, and he knew that Andrew and his agent were talking a lot, and he said he believed something would eventually get done sometime during the season if not sooner.

- Likes the city, talks about how there will be one person that usually is an annoyance, but generally he has enjoyed his time in GB. Club is for sale, and won't look to reopen it.

- He was focused on football and not the other stuff, because he only has so many years to enjoy the game.

- Coach Sherman was "always on me [Barnett]" to not get involved with his club.

- Happy with the same DC for two years and same scheme/same players. Says it's first year thats happened for him, and says he thinks the goal of FO is to keep the core players.

- Says he keeps working hard and continue to improve and make it to Pro-bowl. Says Barnett "Whats next? Superbowl... we need to do what we haven't done yet".

- Money doesn't motivate him.

- Has a lot of good relationships in that lockerroom, but doesn't know if he is a "leader". Says they have great leaders, and says he feels as if this is his D, and he has a great relationship with the players and he goes out there and works hard.

ARE FREE AGENTS RELUCTANT TO COME TO GB?
- Don't see a problem being here, and if you love to play football, no better place than GB. Great fans/atmosphere/coaches/place to be for a family. If you love playing football, you'd love to be here.

- If you are into the big city stuff, then they need to get their focus right because they are there to play football, and they can do the other stuff later on.

- Barnett says he is here to get a ring.

- Says GMs spend too much money on players they don't know, and it doesn't work out. TT is focused on people in the lockerroom and they know the heart of the players.

- Great that Brett is back.

- Coach McCarthy is more easier to relate to/have conversations with/and a much lighter (joking) guy... easy to adjust to him.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this was inevitable. Anyone who read the paper or listened to the radio new that this deal was eventually going to get done baring Barnett doing a complete 180 on us. Harris and Barnett received extensions this off season and Jenkins was resigned. I’d say the Packers did a pretty good job of keeping their "key" guys happy. At least for now.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett said:" Likes the city, talks about how there will be one person that usually is an annoyance, "
Uh oh...........maybe i need to stop bothering him during practice......... :rotflmao:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Barnett said:" Likes the city, talks about how there will be one person that usually is an annoyance, "
Uh oh...........maybe i need to stop bothering him during practice......... :rotflmao:

Dang it Cheesy, leave the poor (okay, rich) man alone, lol.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

and stop peeking in his windows at 3 in the morning

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The agent for Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett is in town. Sources say the Packers are close to signing Barnett to a long-term deal.

Barnett is in the final year of his rookie contract. He's set to make $1.95 million this year.

The middle linebacker has led the team in tackles three of his four seasons.

Barnett has been taking part in the off-season workout program. He has never threatened to hold out -- unlike Javon Walker -- if a deal wasn't done, but he hoped to have a new contract by the weekend of the NFL Draft.

This is great news. Barnett's one of mine and my wife's fav players.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

and stop peeking in his windows at 3 in the morning
Well......i wasn't tired, and there wasn't anything on TV...............

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Well I don't think he minds you bothering him as much as he (probably) does you running around the field without a shirt on.... :p
Hey......my "man boobs" are alot better (and firmer) then alot of the women that hang around the Packer's practice field!!! :thumbsup: :rotflmao:

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading between the lines

The Packers announced it. Barnett's agent is not crowing about how he screwed the Packers on the deal like a Rossenhaus would.

It would cost more to replace him than it would to keep him.

Barnett has proven he is worth keeping.

With the Kampmann, Wells, Driver, Jenkins, Barnett deals we can see that players will get long term deals from the Packers and what type of players the Packers want to retain.

The 2003 draft class is done and Williams is next from the 2004 draft class.
Looking to next year:
A decision after next season will be made on Cole.
Poppinga and Montgomery decisions will have to be made though they are signed through 2008.
Then the length of a Tauscher decision will have to be made. He too is signed through 2008.

Members online