AR's new contract and The Last Dance

Will this be the last dance?

• Total voters

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it depends, if we win the superbowl then I doubt the band gets split up. Things get really interesting in terms of cap management, but I doubt we send out either if we come away with the lombardi this year.
As always, I'm hopeful for another SB win. This is a solid team with a few holes (and every team has those). It would be crazy to split up the band, but a nightmare to pull if off financially.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a 25 percent rule for individual players

25 percent increase rule: Unless a player's base salary is set at the minimum every year, no team can sign a player to a contract that would give him a raise of more than 25 percent annually. So, the second year of the contract can't provide a salary more than 25 percent of the first year, and after that, each subsequent year can't offer an increase of more than 25 percent of his previous year's salary.
I don't see how that can be right. Adams had a salary of 2.75 million in 2019 and 12 million in 2020. Za'Darius Smith had a salary of 1 million in 2019 and 2 million in 2020. His salary this year is less than 1 million but is slated to be over 14 million next year. Aaron Jones is making 1 million this year then 1.1 million next year but his salary is sloted at over 8 million in 2023.

I think what you may be thinking of is back when they were going into an uncapped year they put that rule in to keep Jerry Jones and Dan Schneider and anyone else of course ;) from giving a player 50 million in the uncapped year with a lot less in future years.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's any chance the Packers keep Cobb while paying him a base salary of $7.875 million with him counting $9.6 million towards the cap in 2022.
I agree so what does that say about the Rodgers situation. A big part of Rodgers' press conference was how the Packers treat veteran players poorly not making them offers and such. So Rodgers agrees to come back and we agree to trade for Cobb. This was 100% a concession to Rodgers. There is no way we trade for Cobb if Rodgers is not coming back. So after Rodgers makes a big deal out of the Packers treating veterans poorly how is it going to look when we unceremoniously cut Cobb next season or ask him to take a major pay cut. Do we offer him vet minimum? Apparently Rodgers thought that was an insult to Jordy how would he look if he didn't raise a fuss over the same thing happening to Cob. Do we offer him 3-4 million? Maybe but do we want to? It depends on how this season goes I guess. The two are tied now. If Rodgers is going to stay Cobb will be back, I don't know how either side would justify it otherwise. Best case scenario would probably be Cobb playing this year then retiring. This would let everyone off the hook and its not out of the question. Could be he really wants to retire as a Packer and not just the one day symbolic contract thing.

However it plays out you are right, there is no way Cobb stays with a 9.6 million dollar cap hit next season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sounds like Rodgers was nice enough to keep Love in the loop...

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Sounds like Rodgers was nice enough to keep Love in the loop...
Impossible given the character assassination that's gone on the past 3 months on this forum.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Right from NFL
From what I read that applies to rookie contracts. Its under the rookie contract section and in the three or four other articles I read they all talked about rookie contracts. I've looked at several rookie contracts (K.Murray, D. Savage, J. Alexander, J. Love) and the first year to second year increase is pretty much exactly 25 percent and the 2nd to third year is pretty close. Edit:. I just checked few more from the 2021 draft (Lawrence,Wilson, Lance, Pitts). For Lawrence and Pitts both the salary and cap hit followed the rule but for Wilson and Lance only the cap hit followed the rule which, according to one article I read, is still considered following the rule.

I've also looked at the recent extensions of Bakhtiari, Jones and Clark and some of the increases per year are well over 25 percent. If the 25 percent rule applied to all players how do you explain all the huge contract increases during free agency.

Its possible that certain types of compensation are not included in what is considered salary but I've tried the math several different ways including different combinations of compensation and there are always plenty that would violate the rule.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Rodger slobber
Rodger hater
There can never ever be one poster that can slob and hate at same time
It must be tough for some to distinguish between Rodgers slobber and Rodgers truth teller. ;)

I'm good with you characterizing that way. But at the end of the day, I'm almost always on the winning end with my position on him. Time always tells the story.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It must be tough for some to distinguish between Rodgers slobber and Rodgers truth teller. ;)

I'm good with you characterizing that way. But at the end of the day, I'm almost always on the winning end with my position on him. Time always tells the story.
Congrats on the trophy you just awarded yourself. ;) Two sides to every coin, enjoy having the shinier side in your own mind. Any chance that we can get back onto the topic of AR's contract?

Attachments

• TrophyMeme.png
    TrophyMeme.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 141

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Congrats on the trophy you just awarded yourself. ;) Two sides to every coin, enjoy having the shinier side in your own mind. Any chance that we can get back onto the topic of AR's contract?
Why can’t we keep talking about my trophy?!:whistling:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it depends, if we win the superbowl then I doubt the band gets split up.
I don't know, a lot of times a championship is the catalyst that splits teams up. Less successful teams like to pick the bones of championship teams trying to get some of that mojo. We lost Desmond Howard after his Super Bowl MVP. Let Andre Rison go after XXXI too.

My guess is if we win the Super Bowl, we're more likely to lose Adams, who will get tempted with big offers. That's the way I feel about it today anyway, I might think the opposite tomorrow.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Rodgers still seems to have it.....from 40 yds out....dead on!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know, a lot of times a championship is the catalyst that splits teams up. Less successful teams like to pick the bones of championship teams trying to get some of that mojo. We lost Desmond Howard after his Super Bowl MVP. Let Andre Rison go after XXXI too.

My guess is if we win the Super Bowl, we're more likely to lose Adams, who will get tempted with big offers. That's the way I feel about it today anyway, I might think the opposite tomorrow.
I think even if GB doesn't win the SB, Adams will get some big offers. I really like Adams. We all stuck with him through his first two years when he complained to the officials after every play (OK, a little exaggeration there) and dropped easy passes. But he worked hard, studying tape, perfecting his footwork and release and catching ability. If he's not the best WR in the NFL, I don't know who it would be other than Hopkins.

Is that worth $27 mil/year. Not in my opinion. My guess is he'll come to his senses and get something in the $23, 24/mil range. That's still not worth it for one WR. I can't think of a single WR who left in the Rodgers' era who have done better when they left. Rodgers made Greg Jennings look like a HOF lock, until he left GB and had a QB other than Rodgers.

The next year or two will involve big change and likely some steps back for GB. I think Adams leaves. Rodgers probably gets traded whether he wants to or not. That's a lot of offense out the door.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Must be nice to believe everything a athlete says ;)

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers and Rodgers reportedly agreeing on a trade after this season, I can see Rodgers having his best season in order to "stick it" to the FO by ensuring they have the worst possible picks in the draft.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers and Rodgers reportedly agreeing on a trade after this season, I can see Rodgers having his best season in order to "stick it" to the FO by ensuring they have the worst possible picks in the draft.

I can only hope that is true. The worst possible picks would #32 in every round and I hope Rodgers is able to get that for us.

Latest posts