Anyone have any idea about the Cook contract

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much as I want to see Cook back, he didn't do enough last year to justify tripling his salary.

yea I agree, i see why it isn't done now..

I could see $5million/year being good

UNLESS it was like $14mil/2 years... so a shorter contract

NO WAY is he worth $7-8 million/year he absolutely hasn't proven to be that good/consistent

I'd say Cook is on par with Tyler Eifert, with Eifert being more consistent... and he isn't making close to that

I can't blame him for following hte money though... let someone else overpay

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea I don't know what he's smoking to ask for that much... He's an older, slightly more athletic(but a little shorter) version of Tyler Eifert

Which Eifert's contract is a bargain if you look at it lol

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok per ESPN sources he's asking for $7 million + range... probably closer to $8 million. I can see why this hasn't been done now
Seriously!?!?!? Cleveland is the only team with a stupid amount of cap space and might consider this realistic. smh The guy turns 30 next month and won't sniff nearly that amount. I'd offer him a 3yr/$16Mil deal with the last year being a salary of $7Mil ... cut him if production falls off.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talks 'breaking off' might be him stating those demands and us saying, 'Ok, well, we're not paying you that much, but feel free to go out and look for that, you're welcome to give us a call if it doesn't work out.'

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he'd have put in a full 16 game season for us and been consistently productive, I'd be happy to have him for 7 million a year for 2 or 3 years. But he didn't. He missed like 5 or 6 games and was flashy, though not consistently productive in the regular season.

I agree with others that "breaking off talks" doesn't mean he's a goner though and could just mean the Packers are fine with letting him figure out his true market value before making any final decisions.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he'd have put in a full 16 game season for us and been consistently productive, I'd be happy to have him for 7 million a year for 2 or 3 years. But he didn't. He missed like 5 or 6 games and was flashy, though not consistently productive in the regular season.

I agree with others that "breaking off talks" doesn't mean he's a goner though and could just mean the Packers are fine with letting him figure out his true market value before making any final decisions.

16 games or not it's also CONSISTENT "production" too man

For 7 million a year, I would want near Kelce type of production... especially considering Cook is going to turn 30... THIRTY!!

$7 million/annually should be 55-60 catches 650-700 yards 6-8 touchdowns... which Cook hasn't proven he can do yet

It's an asinine demand on his part actually

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want nothing to do with him at that price. if someone does, good for him. I'd like him back, but I'd rather take my chances.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think about Daniels during FA last year...I think it was last year. He told his agent that he wanted to stay in GB. Git er done. That's all Cook has to say.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just for perspective...

FA tightends that have been signed so far have made:

- Dion Sims: who the heck is this guy? i don't know, but he's making 6 million a year now.
- Rhett Ellison: coming off his monster season with 57 yards receiving, he's making 4.5 million a year now.
- Levine Toilolo: again, i don't know who this scrubmuffin is, but he was offered 4 million per year.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious now if they would do something similar to the contract Peppers had

Whic was basically 2 years around 7 million with the third year option

I could see $14million for 2 years and then a third year option as more "reasonable"

H

HardRightEdge

It's like everybody else among the departing FA's. Thompson has a number in mind that he's willing to match.

If it's a high number (Perry), then back he comes. If it is not, evidently with Cook, then say bye bye if the offers are strong enough. I'm sure some GMs are saying, "why not better numbers with Rodgers?", "why no breakout season?", "soon-to-be 30 years old?"

Cook may be overpricing himself and come back to the fold. We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm sure some GMs are saying, "why not better numbers with Rodgers?", "why no breakout season?", "soon-to-be 30 years old?"

Cook may be overpricing himself. We'll see.

Two stats that stand out in Cooks favor with the Packers:

1. In the 3 games (Wash, ATL, Dallas) he was targeted 10 or more times, he averaged 95 yards and 1 TD.
2. His 12.6 yds/catch. While not top 5 (#8) in the league, best the Packers have seen in a long time at TE. Finley averaged 12.5 in his career.

I keep coming back to Cook and the chemistry he and AR seemed to be establishing the more they played together. While I am not in favor of breaking the bank on the guy, his value to the Packers is pretty high.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have no problem paying Clay and Cobb ridiculous money though
Both extremely valuable, on-the-rise when they signed their monster deals. Now with age/injury/history the picture is more clear, but... they both do whatever is necessary and both play (quite severely) injured for the good of the team.

That being said I've been advocating for CM3 to be cut, as his production is nowhere near $15Mil cap #. Too much dead money to cut Cobb this year so he plays for GB in '17.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol all I can do is laugh. This regime is a joke. Soon enough it'll be the 80's Packers all over again haha. Your franchise QB has been asking for a threat at Tightend for years, and then you can't even get Cook a contract? Yea What a effin joke.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's funny how quickly perspectives change. Before Cook signed with the Packers, he was a perennial under achiever who nobody was particularly interested in. Lo and behold, he looked a lot better with Rodgers and now by some's standards he's indispensable.

I did and do want him back, but not for way more than he's worth. It would be nice to have that skill set on the roster while one of these talented prospects are drafted and developed, but not at the cost of overpaying for a 30 year old, overhyped player. If he signs somewhere like Buffalo or Detroit, he will go back to being the same guy he's always been and whoever pays him will likely regret it.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6mil with short contract like 2 years is the very most for Cook in ny eyes, if he wants more let him walk and use that money to resign Lang.... Don't tell me Lang is looking for 10million now cause I will flip!!

Members online

Latest posts