Anyone have any idea about the Cook contract

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious to know how this isn't done yet..

Should be a fairly easy signing as it benefits both parties and Rodgers wants him back too

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm new, I come in peace. Cook not resigning is a real shame IMO. OJ Howard will be gone before we pick in this draft making a free agent TE a real need. Martellus won't come cheap, better to pay Cook now.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm new, I come in peace. Cook not resigning is a real shame IMO. OJ Howard will be gone before we pick in this draft making a free agent TE a real need. Martellus won't come cheap, better to pay Cook now.

Let's be clear here, Cook has not officially signed elsewhere. Until I hear otherwise, I'm holding out hope he's back. Everything I've read is outside of Perry, he was their biggest priority

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Several thread have references to the Pack and Cook breaking off negotiations.

I read that too......I think that is the media's way of adding some drama to their writing. I read it as "Cook and the Packers have talked and now Cook is out seeing what other teams are offering."

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read that too......I think that is the media's way of adding some drama to their writing. I read it as "Cook and the Packers have talked and now Cook is out seeing what other teams are offering."

I hope that's the case. Detroit and Buffalo are interested. Would be a real shame if he improves Detroit.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's also be clear on the fact that Jared Cook wasn't THAT good last year. I want him back no question about it but let's not act like we're losing Gronk if we don't.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's also be clear on the fact that Jared Cook wasn't THAT good last year. I want him back no question about it but let's not act like we're losing Gronk if we don't.

Let's be clear then what our backup plan is... Richard Rodgers?

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be clear then what our backup plan is... Richard Rodgers?

I get it, and again I want him back just as much as the next guy. But if he's not is the season over before it starts? No. Do you really want Jared Cook back if it's going to cost the Packers $7-8M per year? That's my point, I'm sure we have put a # on him and he's going to see what else is out there. If he can get that then good for him, if not he'll have to decide what playing with Aaron Rodgers is worth to him. IMO this is 100% on Cook at this point, Im sure there's some wiggle room on our end but ultimately Cook needs to decide what's more important to him. $ or a chance at real success.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get it, and again I want him back just as much as the next guy. But if he's not is the season over before it starts? No. Do you really want Jared Cook back if it's going to cost the Packers $7-8M per year? That's my point, I'm sure we have put a # on him and he's going to see what else is out there. If he can get that then good for him, if not he'll have to decide what playing with Aaron Rodgers is worth to him. IMO this is 100% on Cook at this point, Im sure there's some wiggle room on our end but ultimately Cook needs to decide what's more important to him. $ or a chance at real success.

Hopefully they can reach a compromise - Rodgers and Cook had real chemistry towards the end of the season.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Everything's relative. Cook was to the Pack as Gronk was to the Pats. Nowhere near a production/capability comparison, but the impact, if he's gone, would be significant.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything's relative. Cook was to the Pack as Gronk was to the Pats. Nowhere near a production/capability comparison, but the impact, if he's gone, would be significant.

I think this is quite a stretch but I see your point.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You can argue about how good he was or wasn't. Bottom line is, what was the Packers record with Jared Cook on the field? I'll give you a hint: it was pretty damn good.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At no point have I ever said I don't want Cook back. Let's hope it gets done and it's good for all parties involved. Does that work?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
At no point have I ever said I don't want Cook back. Let's hope it gets done and it's good for all parties involved. Does that work?
Absolutely.

All anyone is really saying is that if we let Cook go, what is a viable alternative to him that are reasonably priced/available? Rodgers wants him back, he made that clear.

Not many guys at that position possess the same size, athleticism, versatility, etc as Cook does. And if Thompson doesn't get him re-signed, I highly doubt that the replacement will be any better.

The thought of going back to the Richard Rodgers led TE group makes me wanna drink bleach.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Detroit seems like an odd fit as he would clearly be behind Ebron there in the pecking order. Can't see the Lions paying 7-8M a year for a #2 TE.

Cook clearly isn't going to be as successful in living up to his next contract if he doesn't end up in the right situation.

With that said he's almost 30 and this will probably be his last chance for a big multi year deal with a signing bonus.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone had any "idea" of the "range" he was looking for???

I"m just curious

3 years 12-15 million (tops) seems like it's VERY doable... and this is stretching it IMHO. I don't believe TT is THAT "cheap" to where he can't offer something close to that

What the hell did he want???

Is he looking for like 5 years 30 million or something ridiculous?? and at 29 years old???

I agree to the earlier post he is like Gronk to the Packers.

I can understand TT's thinking in that he is an injury concern, but he is just as athletic/matchup nightmare as Finley was... without all the STUPID THINGS Finley would say.

So I don't get how this isn't done

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Detroit seems like an odd fit as he would clearly be behind Ebron there in the pecking order. Can't see the Lions paying 7-8M a year for a #2 TE.

Cook clearly isn't going to be as successful in living up to his next contract if he doesn't end up in the right situation.

With that said he's almost 30 and this will probably be his last chance for a big multi year deal with a signing bonus.
I wouldn't blame Cook for bolting to get the money. Get it while you can.

I also wouldn't blame Rodgers if he wanted to bolt from the Packers because of their laughable complacency in just being a 10-12 win team that doesn't play February football.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok per ESPN sources he's asking for $7 million + range... probably closer to $8 million

I can see why this hasn't been done now

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok per ESPN sources he's asking for $7 million + range... probably closer to $8 million

I can see why this hasn't been done now

Much as I want to see Cook back, he didn't do enough last year to justify tripling his salary.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts