Any news on Sam Shields?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Maybe switch the whole team to these?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rotoworld calls him "questionable" at best for NY. And it does not look good for Cook either,

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
According to McCarthy every player aside of Cook and Shields will at least participate in a limited fashion in today's practice.
That's good news. I'm not expecting to see Cook play for a while. Hopefully we get him back at full strength for the second half of the season.

Reaction score
<=12 fingers counted= 1st concussion (out 1 game)
<=15 fingers counted= 2nd (out 2 games)
Missing fingers in count=3rd concussion(out 3 games)
Claim you can't feel your own fingers and becoming depressed= 4th concussion (out 4 games)

FINAL PROTOCOL

Claim you can't feel other peoples' fingers and panicking = time to retire

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While Sam Shields may eventually get back in the line-up, I think this recent concussion should raise a few questions within the Packer organization. First, can Sam Shields future availability be relied upon, even once he returns? Second, do we currently have a guy who can adequately take his place this season and going forward? Third, even if Shields comes back and manages to finish the season without another concussion, do you keep him and his $12 M + contract or just take the $3.125M Cap hit?

I have high hopes for both Randall and Rollins, but these last few games have me a bit concerned, that without Shields, other teams will be more then happy to keep giving R and R plenty of work to improve their skills.

Not many options at this point in the way of finding outside talent, unless the Packers could trade for a guy they think is better then Randall or Rollins. I guess you just hope that Shields comes back, stays healthy and our 2 young guys continue to improve.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

While Sam Shields may eventually get back in the line-up, I think this recent concussion should raise a few questions within the Packer organization. First, can Sam Shields future availability be relied upon, even once he returns? Second, do we currently have a guy who can adequately take his place this season and going forward? Third, even if Shields comes back and manages to finish the season without another concussion, do you keep him and his $12 M + contract or just take the $3.125M Cap hit?

I have high hopes for both Randall and Rollins, but these last few games have me a bit concerned, that without Shields, other teams will be more then happy to keep giving R and R plenty of work to improve their skills.

Not many options at this point in the way of finding outside talent, unless the Packers could trade for a guy they think is better then Randall or Rollins. I guess you just hope that Shields comes back, stays healthy and our 2 young guys continue to improve.

It's close to impossble to evaluate Shields' future without having detailled information about his current health. I expect the Packers front office to take a long look at his situation before making a decision on bringing him back for the 2017 season.

Hopefully both Randall and Rollins will improve over the course of the season as the secondary has to significantly improve for the team to be a Super Bowl contender.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't hear about guys having 6th and 7th concussions these days, unless they hid previous ones. Once teams and media start counting them, I fear that the highest people ever want it to go is around 5. The Packers need to concentrate on a replacement for Shields. His career is likely going to end soon if it hasn't already.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's close to impossble to evaluate Shields' future without having detailled information about his current health. I expect the Packers front office to take a long look at his situation before making a decision on bringing him back for the 2017 season.

Hopefully both Randall and Rollins will improve over the course of the season as the secondary has to significantly improve for the team to be a Super Bowl contender.

While I agree that Shields long term future is impossible to predict for anyone that doesn't have all the information to evaluate it, his immediate future is more of a concern for me. Just the mere fact that he lost a month last year after his 4th known concussion and then a month (or more) this year after his 5th, on what is being termed a "hard but routine tackle", should be cause for a lot of concern. Even if/when he does play again, how effective is he going to be? How effective can anyone be in that situation, knowing that a routine tackle or fall may just be the final play of their career? This isn't one of those injuries that you repair, rehab and test until its basically 100% healed and you play again. This appears to be a ticking time bomb that is now ticking very fast for Sam and eventually will derail his career but hopefully not his after football life, like it already has with numerous players.

Reaction score
Where is Charles Woodson when you need him :tdown:
Seriously though, with the lack of experience behind Shields and his current situation I'd be looking for a fix much like we did with Charles Woodson years ago.
IMO we are 1 healthy probowl level CB away from making a run and we can't assume this type of injury won't resonate into the post season

D

Deleted member 6794

Browns suck. I say they make a play for joe Hayden.

I don't think Haden is a player the Packers would consider trading for as he's set to earn more than $10 million for each of the next three seasons.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Haden is a player the Packers would consider trading for as he's set to earn more than $10 million for each of the next three seasons.
He'd be worth it if he was a shutdown corner one on one.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Would probably result in not being able to re-sign Perry.

While I don't think TT even has Haden on his radar due to the current roster, what the Packers would have to trade away to obtain Haden, as well as his contract, there would be other ways to free up money. The most logical (for part of the $) would be the release of Sam Shields at the end of the year. That would be if his concussions and or level of play are a concern for the Packers. I think TT and the Packers are still high on both Randall and Rollins (despite recent games) and wouldn't be viewing this as a needed move at this time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My take on the secondary without Shields and even with Shields at times......they are young and more prone to costly coverage mistakes. Even HaHa is still learning. Hopefully, we have seen the worse, but the Packers still need to have a contingency plan if the young guys don't improve, especially if Shields availability is continually in question.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I love having a D that shuts-down the run as well as they have this year I think Capers needs to sacrifice a LB for improved coverage help. I'm hoping there's more dime D and minimize the damage that OBJ, Shepard & Cruz will do by having rolling safety help for both Rollins & Randall. We may see Perkins bust a long one (or 2? :( ) but don't want to see OBJ or Shepard ring-up 200+ yds on us.

Think Shields is done... even if he comes back this season is at risk of more AND his long-term health is in jeopardy. The Packers shut-down numerous players in the past with neck-injury-risk, don't think they want to see a 40 yr. old Shields with severe-dementia down the road.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was going to post that the Packers should maybe look at Antonio Cromartie and then I read more about him, so will take a pass on him. But I do believe if there is a vet CB out there available to the Packers right now (even via a mid to late round trade), it wouldn't be a bad move to bring him in. If for nothing else depth and to help the young guys. But he would have to be a team kind of guy.

Obviously, that decision may not even be on the table, or needed until after they see what the secondary does in the Giants game.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going to post that the Packers should maybe look at Antonio Cromartie and then I read more about him, so will take a pass on him. But I do believe if there is a vet CB out there available to the Packers right now (even via a mid to late round trade), it wouldn't be a bad move to bring him in. If for nothing else depth and to help the young guys. But he would have to be a team kind of guy.

Obviously, that decision may not even be on the table, or needed until after they see what the secondary does in the Giants game.

They won't do anything, irregardless of the situation or who may be available.