Any news on Sam Shields?

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy doesn't provide an update on Shields during his press conference today, mentioning the cornerback is still in the concussion protocol.

H

HardRightEdge

McCarthy doesn't provide an update on Shields during his press conference today, mentioning the cornerback is still in the concussion protocol.
If he has to sit, at least this is the week to do it given the Vikings options at QB.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If he has to sit, at least this is the week to do it given the Vikings options at QB.
I agree with this view. Next week vs the Lions, though, the kids will be on display. 3 2nd year DBs, a gimpy UDFA maybe and 2 out of place safeties? Tall order for anyone. Maybe the Robertson Daniel guy from camp gets brought back if he's healthy.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They haven't put out the injury report yet, but it sounds like MM is going to match Zimmer's plan and not saying anything definitive about Shields until Saturday afternoon. If Shields is in the protocol, then no matter how mild, I would think that they would hold him back for a few weeks since this would be Concussion #5.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to believe they don't want him banging heads with Peterson in Sunday. Our defense is different with him on the field, but I think they're going to let him sit this one out.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I would love to see Sam back sooner, I'd be fine with seeing the Packers letting him heal up and come back after the bye week for the Giants game. My concern with him is more long term and his career. The drafting of both Randall and Rollins last year seems fortuitous.

D

Deleted member 6794

They haven't put out the injury report yet, but it sounds like MM is going to match Zimmer's plan and not saying anything definitive about Shields until Saturday afternoon. If Shields is in the protocol, then no matter how mild, I would think that they would hold him back for a few weeks since this would be Concussion #5.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind Shields won't play against the Vikings on Sunday.

H

HardRightEdge

I would not be overly shocked if Shields retired.
To borrow a phrase from another thread, Sheilds strikes me as "all ball" without a whole lot of other options or interests. A guy who tatoos the Super Bowl ring on his neck identifies pretty strongly with playing the game.

I'd be quite surprised if he left the game voluntarily.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields may be the big surprise departure next year. I know it doesn't seem likely but neither did Sitton leaving? With all the players retiring so early due to head injuries and the number Shields has gotten in only a few years thats not good sign.

He might also retire.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's racking up concussions on a pretty consistent basis. I'm at the point where I don't think he'll be playing much longer.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't really see a replay, but on this last one I though the majority of the contact was to the body. It was Guion I think, so a hell of an impact, but if it was a body blow that caused the brain to bounce that much in a guy with his history, it does have me worried more than normal. Like I said, never saw a replay really so I could be remembering wrong

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listed as Doubtful
This is MM BS. Shields should be listed as out. NO WAY he plays Sunday.

I agree with those that are concerned about Shields' health. Concussions are a very serious problem.

Too bad, Shields is our best CB.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
From today's press-gazette http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...s-could-threaten-sam-shields-career/90493634/
Shields wasn’t “blown up” in a high-speed, open-field collision Sunday. His helmet didn’t slam against the field. There was no blindside hit. No unexpected whiplash.
The fifth documented concussion of Shields’ football career came on a hard but routine tackle. His head collided against Jacksonville running back T.J. Yeldon’s shoulder, a softer blow than his helmet.
This is the part that should concern him.
“If we see a pattern where each concussion takes longer to get better,” Williams said, “the symptoms are more severe, or if we see a pattern where a person is more and more easily concussed. Like, if the first time it takes a big blow, an 80-G impact, a kickoff return where a person gets blown up and everybody in the stadium notices it. And then before long, there’s just kind of a routine hit, or a routine fall to the ground, and the person is concussed.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is MM BS. Shields should be listed as out. NO WAY he plays Sunday.

I agree with those that are concerned about Shields' health. Concussions are a very serious problem.

Too bad, Shields is our best CB.
Concussions are just a state of mind.

DS

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My last comment was not in the best taste. I am not making light of anyone that suffers a concussion as they are very, very serious. My prayers are with Sam!

DS

D

Deleted member 6794

Per MM, Shields worked out today. This is a step in the right direction. Will see if he practices
this week.

It's for sure a step in the right direction but no reason to get overly optimistic about his chances to return this week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i just hope he can stay back. He's a difference maker in our defense, it all works better with him in there. But, he's missed a lot more games than he's played recently because of concussion with the last one coming on a hard, but fairly normal football play in which his head snapped because of a blow to his body. That worries me, a lot.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should put a the old doggy lampshade over his helmet, so he knows not to hit his head anymore...either that or a foam helmet exterior painted with the Packers logo.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!