Any news on Sam Shields?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
funny how a few weeks ago, we had the lock down corners of the future on the team and now people want to get new DB's.

Reaction score
I was going to post that the Packers should maybe look at Antonio Cromartie and then I read more about him, so will take a pass on him. But I do believe if there is a vet CB out there available to the Packers right now (even via a mid to late round trade), it wouldn't be a bad move to bring him in. If for nothing else depth and to help the young guys. But he would have to be a team kind of guy.

Obviously, that decision may not even be on the table, or needed until after they see what the secondary does in the Giants game.
I agree with you Poker except on the time frame. I think we are 2-3 games away from making any big changes and that would be extended even longer if we are winning games. So reasonably by mid season.
Of course we all hope the ship gets "righted" before it hits a larger iceburg but as long as we're not taking on more water I think it's easier to practice prudence

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
funny how a few weeks ago, we had the lock down corners of the future on the team and now people want to get new DB's.

Well when your #1 goes down with what could eventually be a career ending situation and your young #2 and #3 aren't playing so well, I would hope that you start thinking about contingency plans. Doesn't mean you have to invoke them. I for one am not hitting the panic button and saying get new DB's (plural), but I also don't think its wise to stick your head in the sand and say "all is well". Contingency plans are a good thing, not something I consider panicking. No different then why the Packers brought a couple of TE's (Housler and Holtz) this week to look at.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take on the secondary without Shields and even with Shields at times......they are young and more prone to costly coverage mistakes. Even HaHa is still learning. Hopefully, we have seen the worse, but the Packers still need to have a contingency plan if the young guys don't improve, especially if Shields availability is continually in question.

I agree, but a secondary with costly coverage mistakes has been the status quo in GB for years now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say all is well, I said it was funny how we had lock down corners of the future on our team, and now we want to put them on the bench. Personally, i think they're talented and all the potential they need is right there. They just have to put it together. i do not think a person of the scrap heap is going to come in and play any better in this scheme than they can.

I just think its funny how reactionary fans are in general, but it shouldn't surprise me, there were people making what they felt were legitimate arguments to get rid of a once in a lifetime type QB in the prime of his career after week 2, so why would it surprise me that 2 2nd year players wouldnt' cause the same angst.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree with you Poker except on the time frame. I think we are 2-3 games away from making any big changes and that would be extended even longer if we are winning games. So reasonably by mid season.
Of course we all hope the ship gets "righted" before it hits a larger iceburg but as long as we're not taking on more water I think it's easier to practice prudence

While i agree the "need" to actually have another guy playing CB, who is not currently a Packer, is weeks away, I think having a plan in place for such a need should be now though. A plan that basically depends on 3 players; Shields, Randall and Rollins. I have my doubts on any of the other guys being starters this year; Gunter, Hawkins, Goodson or Waters.

No matter when Shields comes back, I really don't think the Packers can say...."ok, barring a normal injury, we have Sam back for the remainder of the year." Sam's playing time has to be viewed as unknown at this point. With that, you have to view R and R as your starters. In the next few games we will see if they have what it takes and can overcome some pretty poor outings. If not, since this is not a rebuilding year, it almost begs the need to bring in a vet and at that point, quickly.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, it's not about replacing Rollins or Randall; it's about supplementing them with veteran depth.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree, but a secondary with costly coverage mistakes has been the status quo in GB for years now.

Agreed and we have seen the results of such.

Hey, I still want Randall and Rollins to be our CB's of the future, but when you are a team playing to be in a SB and have watched your corners get burned a few too many times, you start to worry after what we saw in MN and the second half of the Detroit game. If Shields wasn't such a big question mark, I wouldn't be too concerned. But if 2 second year guys, that are still obviously learning the position, need more time to learn, then I would rather not have them both learning while both are being forced to be starters.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather have proven vets too, but they aren't really out there. I for one think Shields is done. Even if he comes back, I don't see him finishing the year. If he does, i'm happy, but am not counting on him. At this point R&R have to get it done. They are the future, the future is now. We'll all have to accept the bumps along the way and see if they can put it together. if they can't get it together over the next couple weeks, we're in trouble anyway. There isn't a vet just sitting out there waiting to be a lock down corner for the GB packers. Maybe a role guy, someone to put on the field in case of injury, but not someone that is going to make the unit appreciably better. None that I can see anyway.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd rather have proven vets too, but they aren't really out there. I for one think Shields is done. Even if he comes back, I don't see him finishing the year. If he does, i'm happy, but am not counting on him. At this point R&R have to get it done. They are the future, the future is now. We'll all have to accept the bumps along the way and see if they can put it together. if they can't get it together over the next couple weeks, we're in trouble anyway. There isn't a vet just sitting out there waiting to be a lock down corner for the GB packers. Maybe a role guy, someone to put on the field in case of injury, but not someone that is going to make the unit appreciably better. None that I can see anyway.

That I agree with more ;) LOL

There are always vets available through a trade, but we all know the chances of TT doing that are slim. Not that I want this to happen, but it would be interesting to see just what move, if any, TT would be willing to make if R&R continue to play poorly.

Tough group of wide receivers, along with a decent QB that the Packers secondary will be facing on Sunday, but I guess this as good of a test as these guys will have seen all year. That is, unless someone can get OBJ on full tilt right away. :whistling:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that trading for role players is a wise decision. You pick them up in FA and off waivers, and with the investment in R&R, unless they've decided that one of them will NOT be the DB of the future, they're not giving up anything to bring another guy they think will be.

Now if they have decided one of those guys isn't what they thought he was, i guess maybe they would. But I would disagree with that assessment. I think they have both shown they can play, now they have to be consistent and put it together play in and play out. I hope they will, maybe they won't, but as far as i'm concerned, they have 1 more game till they're done with preseason, and getting ready for the regular season.

I think heading into November, the 2ndary is going to look a lot different and for the better. The only caveat being injury. We need to get guys back, and i'm not counting on Shields, but we can't lose more.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
but we can't lose more.
you HAD to say that didn't you! :eek:

I still hope and think it can be the strong group we all thought was there to start the season. The only difference is the uncertainty now surrounding Shields and some rocky outings by R & R. But you are right, another injury and things get interesting.

D

Deleted member 6794

If he wouldn't sign Hayward this year why would one think he may sign an expensive free-agent like Haden next year? It would be so not TT.

Haden is under contract with the Browns through the 2019 season, therefore the Packers would have to trade for him. If the front office believes Shields is done the team could use the cap savings by releasing him to acquire Haden.

Goodson will soon be eligible for return. We're about to learn how much he's valued as a veteran DB in lieu of some guy off some other team's scrap heap.

Goodson has struggled as a cornerback for his entire career, I highly doubt he's an upgrade over any of the other players at the position on the roster.

i do not think a person of the scrap heap is going to come in and play any better in this scheme than they can.

I'm quite sure a veteran defensive back would be able to play man cover against opposing receivers immediately.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Kind of odd/scary, that this was the first meeting since his concussion that he has attended. Maybe not attending them is part of protocol?

D

Deleted member 6794

Kind of odd/scary, that this was the first meeting since his concussion that he has attended. Maybe not attending them is part of protocol?

It depends on which stage in the protocol a player is in. Shields not being able to attend meetings for more than four weeks is alarming.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields didn't practice again today. Probably going to miss this game as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts