Any news on Sam Shields?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Does he have that specially made helmet like Rodgers does? If he does, then it isnt working

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Does he have that specially made helmet like Rodgers does? If he does, then it isnt working
If he doesn't, he and all players should. I haven't watched the play again, but from what I remember it really didn't look like that severe of contact that his head had with another player or the ground. If what this articles states is true, that is what scares me more then him missing the next game or 2.

http://www.concussiontreatment.com/concussionfacts.html

Research suggests that if someone has already received one concussion, they are 1-2 times more likely to receive a second one. If they've had two concussions, then a third is 2-4 times more likely, and if they've had three concussions, then they are 3-9 times more likely to receive their fourth concussion

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why a lot of players are retiring early. I'm not saying Shields will, but I bet its going to run across his mind if this does turn out to be a high grade concussion.

Thank goodness we have a ton of DB's on our roster and PS.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is concerning if it turns out Shields suffered another head injury. I think he was out multiple games after suffering a concussion last season. For his own sake he needs to consider his long term health.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This is why a lot of players are retiring early. I'm not saying Shields will, but I bet its going to run across his mind if this does turn out to be a high grade concussion.

For his own sake he needs to consider his long term health.
I echo these opinions. For his future he needs to think about life after football, not just the 'football is my life' mindset. Football financially has been good to him. He's already pocketed over half the $39m contract he signed. Though early retirement may cost him some of it. Bank account wise, this season he would lose game day roster bonuses adding up to less than $500k. Next season his dead money is around $3.125m with a $9m cap relief. http://overthecap.com/player/sam-shields/2614/

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect Josh Hawkins will be seeing some play time over the next few games (assuming Shields sits out)

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as the secondary struggled yesterday, I really don' t want to see how that unit is going to look without Shields...

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as the secondary struggled yesterday, I really don' t want to see how that unit is going to look without Shields...

Collectively, the secondary was fine. It was the TE that got us. We held some very explosive WR's down yesterday.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collectively, the secondary was fine. It was the TE that got us. We held some very explosive WR's down yesterday.

If 320yds through the air is "held down," I'd hate to see any less of a performance.

Sky King

Reaction score
That short crossing pass over the middle has bewitched the Capers defense forever it seems. Near as I can tell it may be every opponent's go-to play when they really need that sure-fire positive yardage down. It worked beautifully for the Cards, too.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Capers is to blame, or if never having a quick MLB that can play in space is to blame. I don't care what defense you call, someone the likes of Bobby Wagner wouldn't let you hurt them with those.

D

Deleted member 6794

I suspect Josh Hawkins will be seeing some play time over the next few games (assuming Shields sits out)

Hawkins didn't practice at all last week because of a hamstring inury. There's no guarantee he'll be healthy this week.

It's true the Packers mostly did a great job covering Robinson and Hurns but allowed some big plays to them as well.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's interesting reading the JSO article about the secondary switching, moving guys back and forth between outside and slow through the game. Makes it seem like such a brilliant move, and sounds great in theory, and the players saying things like "they didn't know what to expect."

Except, regardless of whether they expected it or not, they had the answer for it. You can't talk like that after a game when you gave up 320 yards passing. Hold him to 270, ok, praise your gameplan.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If 320yds through the air is "held down," I'd hate to see any less of a performance.

In the NFL, these days, since its a pass first league, you're lucky if you can hold elite QB's and WR's under 400 yards total offense.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawkins didn't practice at all last week because of a hamstring inury. There's no guarantee he'll be healthy this week.

Who do you see getting the play time as 4th CB if Hawkins can't go? Dorleant?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Dorleant went to IR. I'd guess Hyde plays CB with Brice & Evans getting more time at safety / ST. Unless they bring someone in.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, good point. I forgot all about him going to IR.

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
don't forget about gunter as well, but in my opinion did not look overly well either. but keep in mind it was only week 1 and a lot of these guys did not really play much together during the preseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy says during his press conference that Shields is in the concussion protocol.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not good. Guess the good news is the Vikings aren't likely to air it out, but this isn't a week I'd wanna be without any of our top guys.

D

Deleted member 6794

In the NFL, these days, since its a pass first league, you're lucky if you can hold elite QB's and WR's under 400 yards total offense.

You're bit exaggerating as Drew Brees currently is the only quarterback to have thrown for 400 yards this week.

Who do you see getting the play time as 4th CB if Hawkins can't go? Dorleant?

If both Shields and Hawkins can't play against the Vikings expect Hyde to be moved to slot corner.

Members online

Latest posts