Any news on Sam Shields?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I want the team to be as patient as possible in bringing him back.

I'll sacrifice a little now to have him in January.

Sadly, that might mean bringing him back in January. I think its safe to say that Sam's career is being considered very carefully at this point. I want him back, but not if it means he faces a life of what so many ex players have had to endure.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields to IR. I think he may be done for in Green Bay and maybe in the league sooner rather than later.

Reaction score
It's obvious this was a serious injury.
I'm not sure what the contingency plan is here at CB but I'd like to see us get proactive unlike we did at RB until we were depleted.
We don't have enough experience behind shields to ignore this dilemma. Even with Sam I think we were leaning inexperienced. We risked cutting a perfectly fine QB we need something to compensate for that move

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
saw this one coming at the moment he dinged his head. Wasn't even a hard hit. Sucks as he's our best cover guy. Frees up 10 mil and makes drafting a cover corner a top priority. One who's capable of playing man to man or zone please.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's obvious this was a serious injury.
I'm not sure what the contingency plan is here at CB but I'd like to see us get proactive unlike we did at RB until we were depleted.
We don't have enough experience behind shields to ignore this dilemma. Even with Sam I think we were leaning inexperienced. We risked cutting a perfectly fine QB we need something to compensate for that move

We could really use that Hayward guy that everyone hated last year who is lighting it up in San Diego now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sam would be eligible to return in week 15. Too bad the Packers didn't know the severity of his concussion ahead of time, would have saved a roster spot for the last 6 weeks and made Sam Eligible to return by week 9.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This doesn't surprise me at all. Him ever suiting up for the Packers again, will.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
In the rule changes for IR return, was back dating the IR designation added? As in can he have 4-5 weeks credit for the amount of games he has already missed? Baseball does the 45-day disabled list retroactive to some day last week, for example.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This doesn't surprise me at all. Him ever suiting up for the Packers again, will.
I'm sure it's what you meant.....but not just the Packers, this is most likely and probably should be career ending for the guy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
saw this one coming at the moment he dinged his head. Wasn't even a hard hit. Sucks as he's our best cover guy. Frees up 10 mil and makes drafting a cover corner a top priority. One who's capable of playing man to man or zone please.
According to overthecap it's $9Mil cap savings and $3.125Mil dead money. I'm also guessing that with Hyde a '17 FA that TT may be drafting 2 CB's in the top 5 rounds.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
According to overthecap it's $9Mil cap savings and $3.125Mil dead money. I'm also guessing that with Hyde a '17 FA that TT may be drafting 2 CB's in the top 5 rounds.
I doubt it right now. I'd be looking to see whose contracts are expiring in '18 to get an idea of the positions being drafted in 17.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are almost guaranteed to have to re-sign Micah Hyde now. im willing to bet Shields is cut at years end. That money should be used for Hyde and retaining Cook. Definitely need to take a corner in rd 1 or 2 for sure.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why is re-signing cook even a discussion right now? until he gets on the field and actually does the things everyone says he can, he's on a 1 year prove it contract. so far, nothing has been proven.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley, Collins, Murphy, Franklin, and possibly Shields.

I don't know about the rest of the league, but I bet we lead the league in career ending injuries. Just unlucky for us.

The team would be much better with Collins, Shields, Franklin, and Finley still around.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why is re-signing cook even a discussion right now? until he gets on the field and actually does the things everyone says he can, he's on a 1 year prove it contract. so far, nothing has been proven.

Watching Richard Rogers try to uncover, and get open is the reason this is a discussion. You don't need to see much from Cook to see he's a way better threat in the passing game than Rogers. Next question.

Members online

Latest posts