Any news on Sam Shields?

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're bit exaggerating as Drew Brees currently is the only quarterback to have thrown for 400 yards this week.

I said total offense ;) Which is true. Its hard to hold down offenses these days. Even that vaunted Cards defense looked vulnerable against a GronkLess Pats team with a backup QB.

H

HardRightEdge

In the NFL, these days, since its a pass first league, you're lucky if you can hold elite QB's and WR's under 400 yards total offense.
400 x 16 = 6,400
300 x 16 = 4,800

You overstated the case.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Shields is in the concussion protocol then he has one and will likely be out. My guess is he comes back after the bye. What's scary is that he barely got hit in the head. It looked like more of a blow to the neck than the head. His concussion frequency looks to be career threatening. The good news is that there are better players on the bench and the Packers get stronger when they lose key players.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The good news is that there are better players on the bench and the Packers get stronger when they lose key players.
I hope you weren't implying that the players currently on the bench are better then Sam, because I don't think that is the case. We do have some depth at CB, but losing Shields would be a blow to our experience and skill level at that position IMO.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Shields is in the concussion protocol then he has one and will likely be out. My guess is he comes back after the bye. What's scary is that he barely got hit in the head. It looked like more of a blow to the neck than the head. His concussion frequency looks to be career threatening. The good news is that there are better players on the bench and the Packers get stronger when they lose key players.

Well, if you watch that movie "Concussion," it's amazing there aren't more concussions. When he throws out the number of G forces it takes to get a concussion, compared with the average number in a typical collision, it's absolutely astonishing.

Good news is it will put rollins and randall in the spotlight. They're the future of our defense.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Capers is to blame, or if never having a quick MLB that can play in space is to blame. I don't care what defense you call, someone the likes of Bobby Wagner wouldn't let you hurt them with those.
I agree, if we had the opportunity to draft Shazier a few years back those plays wouldn't happen as often.

H

HardRightEdge

You can't talk like that after a game when you gave up 320 yards passing. Hold him to 270, ok, praise your gameplan.
Bortles averaged 277 yds. per game last season. Even 270 yds. surrendered makes you average against Jacksonville.

270 x 16 = 4320 yds. on the season; that's a good season for a QB.

Over his 9 years + 1 game as a starter, Aaron Rodger has averaged 269 yds. per game.

The Packers surrendered 4,796 yds. passing in 2011, the NFL worst all-time, or 300 per game. You certainly don't want a repeat of that.

The average teams last season (Tampa at 16th., New England at 17th.) together averaged 240 yds. surrendered per game.

But that's not the point. This defense is built to stop opponents in the red zone. For the other 80 yards of the field, it's about disguises and confusion (theirs more than ours as often as is manageable) to force mistakes and turnovers, while minimizing the big play. I would think Packer fans have been conditioned to "bend don't break". Of course, when the "don't break" breaks down, it leads to playoff heartbreak. Too many "break"s in this paragraph? Give me a break.

Bending, of course, doesn't help much in the way of field position.

Like it or not, dance with the ones who brung you. I wouldn't say this about the league in general, but in this case forget the yards and watch the points, though they do tend to be correlated.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bortles averaged 277 yds. per game last season. Even 270 yds. surrendered makes you average against Jacksonville.

270 x 16 = 4320 yds. on the season; that's a good season for a QB.

Over his 9 years + 1 game as a starter, Aaron Rodger has averaged 269 yds. per game.

The Packers surrendered 4,796 yds. passing in 2011, the NFL worst all-time, or 300 per game. You certainly don't want a repeat of that.

The average teams last season (Tampa at 16th., New England at 17th.) together averaged 240 yds. surrendered per game.

But that's not the point. This defense is built to stop opponents in the red zone. For the other 80 yards of the field, it's about disguises and confusion (theirs more than ours as often as is manageable) to force mistakes and turnovers, while minimizing the big play. I would think Packer fans have been conditioned to "bend don't break". Of course, when the "don't break" breaks down, it leads to playoff heartbreak. Too many "break"s in this paragraph? Give me a break.

Bending, of course, doesn't help much in the way of field position.

Like it or not, dance with the ones who brung you. I wouldn't say this about the league in general, but in this case forget the yards and watch the points, though they do tend to be correlated.

I understand all that, but it was a fluke yesterday. This d is predicated on sacks and turnovers. We had a minimal of both, and will not continue with that point total with those numbers. Also, with how this offense started out, averaging 23 points or more allowed won't net very many wins at all.

H

HardRightEdge

I understand all that, but it was a fluke yesterday. This d is predicated on sacks and turnovers. We had a minimal of both, and will not continue with that point total with those numbers. Also, with how this offense started out, averaging 23 points or more allowed won't net very many wins at all.
If you're looking for a defense that can dominate a game you've come to the wrong place, as has been in evidence the past 5 years.

I was pleasantly surprised with many aspects of the defensive play, particularly in the second half. There were a couple of plays in succession in one series in the second half where everybody in the front 7 (or 6 or 8 or whatever it was) were moving around at the snap unclear on the call. Lots of energy, aggressive, good team speed, solid tackling, plays being made. There were a few plays you'd like to excise, but it was week 1 after all.

That second half was a good ballgame between two good teams. The Packers have the habit of winning, as Lombardi would say, whereas Jacksonville does not, and that is often the difference, especially on the road.

I had not seen Bortles play last season and was quite impressed. It's too soon to anoint him one of the "elite", but he's pretty darn good. He reminds me of a young Carson Palmer.

All in all, I think this defense will be an improvement over last season's and is good enough to get to the playoffs. Some growth is possible. Is it a championship defense? Probably not, but we should remain open to surprise. The right playoff match ups and the defense not falling down and going boom in the 4th. quarter or OT might just do it.

That said, as illustrated, averaging 300 yds. passing surrendered per game in the regular season would tie the NFL record for futility and would likely be symptomatic of eventual playoff defeat.

It's still early, the record is 1-0. Shaun Hill is next; you can expect the pass yard average to drop if that's meaningful to anybody. He's been around this league a long time; he may have figured out how to limit interceptions, as evidenced against the Titans. That single accomplishment should not be a deciding factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree, if we had the opportunity to draft Shazier a few years back those plays wouldn't happen as often.

Shazier is extremely fast but hasn't been impressive over his first two seasons in the league.

Also, with how this offense started out, averaging 23 points or more allowed won't net very many wins at all.

The Jaguars are most likely one of the best offenses the Packers will face all season. Therefore I expect the defense to allow less than 23 points per game this season.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're looking for a defense that can dominate a game you've come to the wrong place

There aren't many defenses around the NFL that can dominate and win games by themselves anymore. Seahawks still have a good (but not great) defense. Rams once promising looking D looks to have taken a step back. Bronco's defense is predicated around a pass rush and disrupting the backfield. If you can block their rush, yards are to be had. What I'm saying is, you're not going to find an old Ravens, Bucs or Steel Curtain defense in the NFL these days that just shuts down every facet of an offense. I think every single defense in the NFL right now is vulnerable in spots (some more than others)

robertk328

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why a lot of players are retiring early. I'm not saying Shields will, but I bet its going to run across his mind if this does turn out to be a high grade concussion.
He said last year after the bad one that it opened his eyes to long term health implications of the head injuries.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields may be the big surprise departure next year. I know it doesn't seem likely but neither did Sitton leaving? With all the players retiring so early due to head injuries and the number Shields has gotten in only a few years thats not good sign.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields may be the big surprise departure next year. I know it doesn't seem likely but neither did Sitton leaving? With all the players retiring so early due to head injuries and the number Shields has gotten in only a few years thats not good sign.
I would hate to see it, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see him leave this year...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

His 2017 salary (and final year of his contract) is pegged at $12,125,000 and $3,125,000 of that is dead cap. So in a sense, keeping him costs the Packers $9 M. I'm guessing if both Rollins and Randall as well Hunter and any other young CB continues to progress, it may be a move we could see. If he misses significant time with this concussion or any other injury this season, it will be a good test to see how the Packers do without his services.

Packers might be smart to pick up a PS eligible CB and get him into the system, sooner then later.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

There aren't many defenses around the NFL that can dominate and win games by themselves anymore.
That's right, and this is not one of them. They're capable of dominating a half if the turnovers come their way. You never know...that dominating half could come in the second half of a playoff game at the most opportune time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts