1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Anthony Hargrove

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by NelsonsLongCatch, Mar 24, 2012.

1. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
  2. Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +133
    Looking like this might not be happening...pretty weird. The stories I keep reading say that Twitter feed might not actually be Hargrove.

Oh well...

3. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +831
    I thought there was some Packer insider who said this was a done deal and that they were just working out the details before announcing it.

4. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +384
    The worldwide leader's NFC North blogger reports that a deal is in place... [LINK]

5. Rodgers_Forever

Rodgers_Forever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    "Packers agreed to terms with DL Anthony Hargrove, formerly of the Saints.

Hargrove, 28, has been primarily an interior pass rusher in recent seasons, but the Packers will likely give him a look as a right end in the role once filled by Cullen Jenkins. The Packers can't count on Mike Neal after a four-game PEDs suspension, and C.J. Wilson and Jarius Wynn are "just guys." Hargrove can get after the quarterback when his head is on straight."
    -From Rotoworld

6. The Real Pack Attack

The Real Pack Attack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    Packers make it official with Hargrove
    By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel
    Green Bay -- Some help is on the way for the Green Bay Packers' sluggish pass rush. Free agent defensive end Anthony Hargrove has signed with the team his agent confirmed Thursday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
    Hargrove, 28, should upgrade a unit that sorely missed Cullen Jenkins in 2012.
    Considering Mike Neal is suspended for the first four games this season for violating the league's policy on performance enhancing drugs and neither Jarius Wynn or C.J. Wilson has been more than a rotational player, Green Bay needed to add somone.The Packers also signed Daniel Muir last week.
    Hargrove has endured a tumultuous career to date. He missed the entire 2008 season for violating the league's substance abuse policy and returned in 2009 to be a major force on the New Orleans Saints' Super Bowl team. He had 42 tackles, five sacks and three fumble recoveries that season. Last year, Hargrove had 18 tackles and three sacks last year for the Seattle Seahawks.
    Of course, Hargrove was one player in the thick of the Saints' bounty scandal. Whether or not he'll be suspended for involvement is unknown at this point.
    The 28-year-old Hargrove should improve a defense that finished last overall and 27th in sacks.

7. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    This is good. :tup:

8. Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +133
    I like it...obviously I worry about a possible "bountygate" suspension but we will have to wait and see on that.

Getting a D lineman the caliber of Hargrove is something I did not see coming before this FA period. This not only infuses a talented player along that D line, but gives Teddy some flexibility in the upcoming draft to go after the BPA. A pass rusher will still be needed for sure, but when it makes sense.

We now have CM3, Raji and Hargrove as pass rushers...getting a "pass rush guy" in the draft to go along with these guys I would think puts us in much better shape than we were last year. And who knows...maybe something will come of Neal, SoOto or Lattimore to compliment those guys.

Feeling a little better about the D now than a few weeks ago...now only if we were to hear that Collins is coming back...

9. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    another thread on Hargrove but I agree this is good. We are thin at the position and he adds to the mix.

10. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +481
    Great news!

11. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +615
    Rotoworld has to stop quoting me.

12. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +858
    Good job, Ted. Very productive FA season this year.

13. weebles

weebles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    .. not so sure this is a good pickup. 19.5 sacks in 8 years, and too underweight to hold up against the run. A starter type DE still needs to be addressed in the draft with Pickett entering his last years.

14. Mozhino

Mozhino Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I think he will work out well for the Packers. But his story is blew me away, quite an incredible person to still be playing the game. And he is really embracing the Packer nation, follow him on Twitter @A94Hargrove , he is trying to get up to 3000 followers by the end of the day.

15. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
  16. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Unless we signed Mario Williams I wasn't looking for our defense to take a big step forward via free agency . What I was looking for was some guys that could come in, compete, provide depth and some help in certain situational packages. Hargrove and Tollefson if we sign him will do that. There's no question the real help we need will come from the draft. But don't minimize the importance of picking up a Hargrove. These signing(s) will give Capers some much needed pieces to move around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    I'm not trying to minimize the signing. He seems like an upgrade on paper, but whether that translates into success in our system or not remains to be seen. Ultimately though, I believe most of the defensive free agent signings are more to bring a guy to camp in an attempt to create more competition for the position. Hopefully things pan out for Hargrove and he provides a much needed boost for our defense, but I'm not looking at any of these signings as being "The answer."

18. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    good pick up, agreed he's not "instant improvement" but is an upgrade on the "guys" we had there last year.

19. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +615
    Glass half-empty guy, huh?

I don't think any one player could be an "answer", but it is a definite upgrade over Jarius Wynn and CJ Wilson. Hargrove is an instant improvement over both guys. As of right now, he would have to the favorite to be the opening day starter at defensive end. Plus, the line needs depth. The rotation last year was horrible.

• Like Like x 2
  20. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +831
    The line does need depth. Having a rotation is key. When they are all fresh they play a ton better.

21. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,160
    Good grief, I think mostly any one of us, including Kitten would be an upgrade over Wynn and Wilson.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +615
    Kitten had a great shuttle at the combine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Yeah, I heard she was cat quick.

24. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,160
    Ahh, I had to paws and wonder if that was a tail....

25. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38

Cullen Jenkins recorded 1/2 sacks in the last 11 games last year. Not exactly lights out numbers. However, if he did what he did for us and raised hell in there with the QB then who cares?

This guy does what the others did not do last year nearly often enough and that's come thru the middle and get the QB off his game so I think that being concerned about the sack stats put up here aren't nearly as important as the number of times he put pressure on. It's asking a lot for these big Down linemen to bring down athletic QB's. All I want is that they don't let the opposing qb set up and get the ball out all day like it's practice.

People in the league say this guy is good at this so I am VERY happy we have somebody like this vs. guys stuck on the LOS hoping to bat a ball down because they can't get to the QB. The defense showed what the could do in 2010 when they made the qb have happy feet on fairly regular basis and they didn't do that this last year. So if this guy does this without recording a sack we will be better.