1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Anthony Hargrove

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by NelsonsLongCatch, Mar 24, 2012.

1. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    Anybody know the Packers brought him in for a visit? Maybe TT isn't too excited about the defensive linemen in this year's draft.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth

Defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove's visit this week to the Green Bay Packers, as first reported by Jason La Canfora of NFL.com, tells us the team is serious about using free agency to improve a vexing hole in its defense.

The Packers' conservative approach to the open market in recent years has been well-documented, and historically they don't bring in players for visits if they don't have significant interest. Hargrove is the second veteran free agent to visit Lambeau Field this month. The first, center Jeff Saturday, signed a two-year contract worth $7.75 million, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Hargrove, 28, is an aggressive pass-rusher who also plays the run well. He projects as an end in the Packers' 3-4 scheme and can also play tackle when they use their nickel. He's listed at 272 pounds but played close to 300 pounds as recently as the 2010 season, when he was with the New Orleans Saints.

For a player who has never signed with an NFC North team, we've crossed paths often with Hargrove here on the blog.

We spent some time with him prior to Super Bowl XILV, allowing him to tell his story of addiction and recovery in his own words. In 2010, Hargrove visited the Detroit Lions and earlier this month, he released an extensive statement denying that he received a bounty for an illegal hit in the Saints' victory over the Minnesota Vikings in the 2009 NFC Championship Game.

According to the Green Bay Press-Gazette, the Packers have also been in contact with two other pass-rushers who might project as outside linebackers: Manny Lawson and Dave Tollefson. But to my knowledge, neither player has visited Lambeau Field. I don't know if that means Hargrove is necessarily the Packers' top priority among pass-rushers, but their recent history makes every visit noteworthy. Stay tuned.

2. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Probably stocking up on prospects so he can have a competition. There is a possibility that roster limits will increase after this weekend's owners meeting, so most of these guys are getting signed for the sake of having more competition at the position.

RE: Hargrove himself, I'm kind of scratching my head a bit. He hasn't been what I would call "Packer People," with quite a few off-field transgressions on his record. Maybe the guy's turned a new leaf or whatever, but the interest definitely has me curious.

3. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    Maybe he aced the interview?

4. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I think the whole "Packer People" thing is much more an added bonus than it is a prerequisite.

• Like Like x 1
  5. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    Yeah, it's been well documented that he has done a 180 in his personal life. To say that the man had a rough childhood would be a huge understatement. The housing he lived in burned, leaving him and his family to live in homeless shelters for a number of years. His mother died a few years after that. His story is pretty inspiring actually.

As far as attitude goes, I would take him in a heartbeat.

6. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    Got to love guys who play the mean and with intensity.

7. Aaron rodgers is god

Aaron rodgers is god Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +154
    I think TT bringing him in is more for depth. Our D-line depth is absolutely terrible. We have 1 guy on our D-line that can start and be effective all 3 downs. That is BJ Raji. Pickett is an ineffective pass rusher but a good runs stuffer. Our other DE spot is useless.

8. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    I think TT is realizing that aside from your 1st round freaks of nature most o-line and d-lineman need a few years of the NFL strength and conditioning to get up to size to actually compete on this level. They need mature bodies in the rotation.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,851
    ?????

I think your saying that we shouldn't give up on wynn and cj as they are both now physically maturing. Which I agree with you.

10. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    I don't think anybody is saying to give up on Wynn and Wilson... Maybe just accept the fact they are just "guys". A little competition never hurt anyone.

11. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    We didnt give up on Cullen Jenkins. I think that worked out ok.

12. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +105
    Unrelated to this topic, where are the Saints finding all this money to sign free
    agents? They just signed Curtis Lofton, former Falcons LB, and a few days ago
    they signed Broderick Bunkley, former Broncos DT/DE. Both are quality
    players and I was hoping the Packers would give them a look.

I understand the Saints don't have either a first or second round pick this year,
    but I still wasn't expecting them to be a huge player in free agency since they
    still have to sign Drew Brees.

13. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    We still have money left over from the bounty program.

• Like Like x 2
  14. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +875
    LOL.

15. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +105
    I hope you have $100 million still available in the checking account as that is what it will probably take to sign
    Brees given Manning's deal with the Broncos. I don't see him playing for the one year franchise tender. :)

16. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    As a guy that could use a positive influence, the Packers already have someone that would be fantastic for him and had a very similar upbringing, Donald Driver.

17. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    @PackersInsider
    #twitter

I've been told that the Packers and Anthony Hargrove have agreed to a deal. Announcement is expected tomorrow or Tuesday

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +484
    What is going on with TT???

19. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
  20. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91

We're gonna have to pay the man, but I am not worried or even concerned. I could be wrong, but I think the parties are a lot closer than what people think. It would not surprise me in the least to learn that Loomis is just buying some time while he works out other contracts.

From reports that I have heard Drew is actively playing the role of team leader among the players while all the bounty crap is going down.

21. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    he needs to upgrade several positions, and FA is a good place to do so with a team that was 3 games from perfection and just didn't have the ooph to do it at the end. He knows the Defense took a step back and they need to create competition at spots to push the young guys.

this also allows him some flexibility in the draft

• Like Like x 1
  22. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91

Good luck to Hargrove, I think you guys are going to like his intensity and motor. Don't forget to tip!

23. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
  24. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +484

I am being sarcastic about TT. Very happy to see him come out and sign a few FA's.

25. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I suspect both Capers and Greene let TT know that they're beyond fed up with being given stiffs and street bums to work with.

They need someone at DE and OLB who know how to play the game in the NFL. These guys aren't star-potential (Jerry Hughes still is, potentially), but they are UPgrades over the generic crap we all watched bumble & stumble last year.

This frees up TT in the draft, also gives him more flexibility to go out and get me some Huuuuughes.