Another Packer issue that needs fixin

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Red zone woes. Our red zone offense is hard to watch nowadays when just lst yr and yrs prior to we were always in the top of the league when we got down there. Now we are like in the bottom of the league. I know some of you will say but Rodgers has been hurt and so on and so forth but even before he went down we couldn't score touchdowns in the redzone. If we score TD's in the Vikings game we wouldn't have tied and be in this mess... or had to chew our fingernails off last week against Atlanta and barely escape by 1 pt.

This makes my argument for having a bigger wr even stronger..one who has a nice verticle leap to match. I hate.. absolutely hate MM's play calling in the red zone. I think that if he gives the ball to Lacey against Minnesota all three times we win that game insead he calls a pass play from like the 1 yd line. Is he afraid to call a screen in the red zone? it's hard enough as it is because of the small space to score so why not get creative? Why not use Franklin more there? Why not use more full house or three tight end sets? i just don't get it. The line is shakey but lets run a playaction pass or try a bootleg?? My goodness MM. Kubiak is looking for a job i heard and ran the same scheme..the same scheme that got Elway two rings in his mid 30's. IJS

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Red zone woes. Our red zone offense is hard to watch nowadays when just lst yr and yrs prior to we were always in the top of the league when we got down there. Now we are like in the bottom of the league. I know some of you will say but Rodgers has been hurt and so on and so forth but even before he went down we couldn't score touchdowns in the redzone. If we score TD's in the Vikings game we wouldn't have tied and be in this mess... or had to chew our fingernails off last week against Atlanta and barely escape by 1 pt.

This makes my argument for having a bigger wr even stronger..one who has a nice verticle leap to match. I hate.. absolutely hate MM's play calling in the red zone. I think that if he gives the ball to Lacey against Minnesota all three times we win that game insead he calls a pass play from like the 1 yd line. Is he afraid to call a screen in the red zone? it's hard enough as it is because of the small space to score so why not get creative? Why not use Franklin more there? Why not use more full house or three tight end sets? i just don't get it. The line is shakey but lets run a playaction pass or try a bootleg?? My goodness MM. Kubiak is looking for a job i hear and ran the same scheme..the same scheme that got Elway two rings in his mid 30's. IJS

Lacy was stuffed two plays in a row on the goal line at Minnesota. I wouldn't have tried it again. Franklin is on IR

Bostick was open in the end zone last game and Flynn missed him. That's not on the play call either.

Lakedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This makes my argument for having a bigger wr even stronger..one who has a nice verticle leap to match. I hate.. absolutely hate MM's play calling in the red zone. I think that if he gives the ball to Lacey against Minnesota all three times we win that game insead he calls a pass play from like the 1 yd line. Is he afraid to call a screen in the red zone? it's hard enough as it is because of the small space to score so why not get creative? Why not use Franklin more there? Why not use more full house or three tight end sets? i just don't get it. The line is shakey but lets run a playaction pass or try a bootleg?? My goodness MM. Kubiak is looking for a job i hear and ran the same scheme..the same scheme that got Elway two rings in his mid 30's. IJS

Great topic. You're spot on. We use to run a roll- right, TE release, play action pass that worked every time. Flare passes to Jordy should work... but I can't remember the last time we tried it. Inside handoff to in-motion TE. Crossing routes to the flag. And please, please- no huddle w a preset, audible flex, set of plays.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great topic. You're spot on. We use to run a roll- right, TE release, play action pass that worked every time. Flare passes to Jordy should work... but I can't remember the last time we tried it. Inside handoff to in-motion TE. Crossing routes to the flag. And please, please- no huddle w a preset, audible flex, set of plays.

West coast offense at it's finest right there! i have no clue sometimes what kinda offense MM runs...doesn't look like West Coast that's for sure.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy was stuffed two plays in a row on the goal line at Minnesota. I wouldn't have tried it again. Franklin is on IR

Bostick was open in the end zone last game and Flynn missed him. That's not on the play call either.

I know Franklin is hurt..i didn't mean that game in particular i meant period. MM seems to stuck in his ways to think outside the box. Why not go full house on the goaline sometimes? it gives you an extra blocker if need be or the threat of releasing another guy out the backfield for a simple dump off pass? if you decide to go playaction... am i making this to difficult? Is it really that hard to call plays in the NFL? i don't think it is...i may be alone on this one tho right?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Franklin is hurt..i didn't mean that game in particular i meant period. MM seems to stuck in his ways to think outside the box. Why not go full house on the goaline sometimes? it gives you an extra blocker if need be or the threat of releasing another guy out the backfield for a simple dump off pass? if you decide to go playaction... am i making this to difficult? Is it really that hard to call plays in the NFL? i don't think it is...i may be alone on this one tho right?

Okay. Just wanted to point out it's not all on the play calling.

Is it all the play calling at all? I really have no idea. I don't know enough about play calling to determine that. All I know is that play calls look good when they work and look bad when they don't.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Is it really that hard to call plays in the NFL? i don't think it is...i may be alone on this one tho right?
No it's not and yes you are. You believe you're a better play caller than MM? Dooooooood!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we score TD's in the Vikings game we wouldn't have tied and be in this mess... or had to chew our fingernails off last week against Atlanta and barely escape by 1 pt.
To remind you and anyone else who needs it:
It also turned out that calling for a 2 point conversion attempt which failed was also a big, big, big mistake.
Go for the 1 and we would have won.

LT had a link to an article showing that sometimes Air-Run doesn't go with what the play is called into his helmet when he gets to the line and changes it based on what he sees. So I'm willing to give MM a break on that.
However, I have no idea what Wallace, Tolzien, or Flynn does. If they just go with what is said to them or if they are flexible, smart, observant and courageous enough to change it.
Until I know, I'm frustrated with MM's play calling to.
Go for a quick pass to get first downs on the last seconds in the Falcons game.
Don't hand it off which means that they will get it back on downs and have a really good chance to get into FG range.
That lucky INT by Bush may have saved our season.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To remind you and anyone else who needs it:
It also turned out that calling for a 2 point conversion attempt which failed was also a big, big, big mistake.
Go for the 1 and we would have won.

LT had a link to an article showing that sometimes Air-Run doesn't go with what the play is called into his helmet when he gets to the line and changes it based on what he sees. So I'm willing to give MM a break on that.
However, I have no idea what Wallace, Tolzien, or Flynn does. If they just go with what is said to them or if they are flexible, smart, observant and courageous enough to change it.
Until I know, I'm frustrated with MM's play calling to.
Go for a quick pass to get first downs on the last seconds in the Falcons game.
Don't hand it off which means that they will get it back on downs and have a really good chance to get into FG range.
That lucky INT by Bush may have saved our season.

In a game where our offense was not good until the end comeback, going for two was the right decision.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a game where our offense was not good until the end comeback, going for two was the right decision.
We have the time and luxury to have hindsight.
I have a feeling that the coaches don't dwell on things as much as we do because we are the fans and they are the workers. I'm sure they look at each team and game differently from week to week and move on.
I mean, if Mike had regretted going for two vs Minny then he probably wouldn't have attempted two against Atlanta. (Which they failed to score on, again which fits in with the Red Zone Blues.)
I dunno man. No coach is ever perfect 100% of the time. They are only human and make mistakes and when they fail, we have things to discuss.
We want them to be Gods of the gridiron. We want them to be perfect and when they aren't we get frustrated.

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On MM's play calling, I think that MM is a coach who bases his schemes and play calling on what he feels are favorable match-ups. When a play is called and doesn't succeed people get frustrated with that play and think another play would have been a better choice. The truth is the play wasn't successful because it wasnt executed properly. Would a different play have been executed any better ? Players have to get the job done. If they dont its on them.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On MM's play calling, I think that MM is a coach who bases his schemes and play calling on what he feels are favorable match-ups. When a play is called and doesn't succeed people get frustrated with that play and think another play would have been a better choice. The truth is the play wasn't successful because it wasnt executed properly. Would a different play have been executed any better ? Players have to get the job done. If they dont its on them.
Good insights.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Rodgers no Cobb no Finley. No bulaga. Several single or two game misses by others on the offense. I'm not worried, the offense I know is the one that played the redskins in the 1st half. When you lose 4 pro bowl level players it's going to cause issues.

Members online

Latest posts