An outrageous idea whose time might be here

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait a second, are we actually discussing trading Rodgers at the age of 32? How is this even a thread.

D

Deleted member 6794

Good God, where did I say or imply trade Rodgers or replace him with Hundley?

Well, if the Packers consider trading Rodgers your suggestion not to wait too long would actually result in Hundley replacing #12.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if the Packers consider trading Rodgers your suggestion not to wait too long would actually result in Hundley replacing #12.

That might be what they'd do in such a scenario. It is not what I suggested or advocated.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's only 32, which isn't old for a qb. But he also sat his first few seasons, so he's quite a "young 32" by mileage standards. I wouldn't be surprised, actually I expect him to play at an elite level well into his late 30s. I think we've got about a 5-7 year window of him being a top 3 qb in the game. That's still quite a long window in pro sports.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's some more, with some overlap regarding Rodgers' HOF creditials: This table on jsonline compares Rodgers in his first 132 starts to the same number of starts for Favre, Peyton, Brady, Brees, Romo, and Montana.
Rodgers has the most passing yards by 422 vs. second place Romo. Rodgers has the most TDs, by 28 over Peyton. Rodgers has the fewest INTs by 28 vs. Brady. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/119635674.html

Rodgers reached 250 passing TDs faster than any QB in NFL history, beating Marino’s record by seven games. Rodgers reached 30,000 passing yards (in fewest attempts) 43 fewer attempts than Johnny Unitas.

This is from packers.com, I believe it's current through the 2014 season, but indicate about where he stands regarding the following:

He’s one of 8 players in league history to be named the AP’s MVP for multiple seasons.
Ranks #1 in career passer rating at 106.0.
Ranks #1 in career INT percentage (1.64%) and TD/INT ratio, #3 in completion percentage, and #3 in yards/attempt.
Ranks #1 in NFL history with 16 TD passes of 70-plus yards.
I guess that pretty much cements it then.
I feel better now, thanks.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm completely OK with trading Rodgers for the right price, but I would much rather we send McCarthy packing if it came down to either he or Rodgers leaving.

Let's say....the Packers trade Rodgers and receive 4 1-st round picks and 2 2nd-round picks in return. If Hundley lives up to the hype (just remember that Rodgers was an unproven QB too), just imagine how good this team could be in a few years if we "hit" on those draft picks. Not saying I'm in favor of trading Rodgers or that this team would be better without him, but I'm just saying the Packers have a CHANCE to be a much better team than they currently are.

NOBODY thought Favre would ever be traded and I am very surprised that so many people on this forum think that there is a 0% chance that Rodgers could be traded at any time. Guess what? It could happen.

Sky King

Reaction score
A lot would depend upon how salvageable the alleged rifts really are, and whom those having genuine power and influence within the organization will hold the most accountable for it. Something was not quite right inside 1265 and we saw symptoms of that recurring all throughout the past season. The GM, President and Board of Directors saw it too. McCarthy is far more vulnerable than Rodgers IMHO, especially if there actually is some bad blood between them.

MM should be given a fair opportunity to make improvements. I hope his coaching staff and key players respond positively to how MM handles the situation. McCarthy would be more vulnerable than Rodgers IMHO, especially if there actually is some (continuing) bad blood between them.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. He's 32, not 25. But QB is a position that is 60% mental and 40% physical. Most QBs reach their mental peak in their mid to late 30s as long as their bodies play along. Sounds like the knee surgery AR had was pretty minor, probably just a scope. His "down" year was augmented by the most time lost I've ever heard of for a receiving corp: more than 50 games between Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Abbrederis and Quarless.

Maybe trade him at 35 when he's in the last year of his contract but not a moment sooner and only if the offer is right. You do NOT trade the best player in football when you're a top 5 team. NO WAY. I don't care how good Hundley might be in the future.

Just don't trade him. Ever. It's that simple, Honestly.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is a franchise QB, no way will GB let him go. On the other end of the spectrum we have Hundley that is a double threat with arm and feet. I believe that there is a possible Favre/Rodgers thing working here. Rodgers will take this team as far as he can possibly go, but when the league turns to QBs that are more of a double threat type we have the backup that fits that mold. I say Hundley stays in Rodgers hip pocket, learns all that he can, develops his arm, feet, body, etc..., and when the time comes to pass the torch we are already ahead of the game. The thought of a 6'3 225 lb QB is intriguing and I would like to see what he could do with a better build, better developed skills and quick feet.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is a franchise QB, no way will GB let him go. On the other end of the spectrum we have Hundley that is a double threat with arm and feet. I believe that there is a possible Favre/Rodgers thing working here. Rodgers will take this team as far as he can possibly go, but when the league turns to QBs that are more of a double threat type we have the backup that fits that mold. I say Hundley stays in Rodgers hip pocket, learns all that he can, develops his arm, feet, body, etc..., and when the time comes to pass the torch we are already ahead of the game. The thought of a 6'3 225 lb QB is intriguing and I would like to see what he could do with a better build, better developed skills and quick feet.

He ain't just a Franchise QB. He's the best in the world. That's how Aaron Rodgers rolls.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And as far as Rodgers/MM being at odds, AR is used to excellence. I don't believe this season lived up to his expectations, however MM as a head coach has to see the glass half full. It's frustrating when the injury list keeps getting longer and longer and you can't get a rhythm with your rotational group of receivers so AR had a different look than MM did when he has to be the one to find the fix for his offense. Winning rights all wrongs and I believe with a healthy squad next year these 2 will be back to seeing eye to eye.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
s
And as far as Rodgers/MM being at odds, AR is used to excellence. I don't believe this season lived up to his expectations, however MM as a head coach has to see the glass half full. It's frustrating when the injury list keeps getting longer and longer and you can't get a rhythm with your rotational group of receivers so AR had a different look than MM did when he has to be the one to find the fix for his offense. Winning rights all wrongs and I believe with a healthy squad next year these 2 will be back to seeing eye to eye.

I didn't know that. Gonna need to be on the same page. Seriously. It HAS to be that way. No exceptions there.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Hundley lives up to the hype (just remember that Rodgers was an unproven QB too), just imagine how good this team could be in a few years if we "hit" on those draft picks. Not saying I'm in favor of trading Rodgers or that this team would be better without him, but I'm just saying the Packers have a CHANCE to be a much better team than they currently are.

NOBODY thought Favre would ever be traded and I am very surprised that so many people on this forum think that there is a 0% chance that Rodgers could be traded at any time. Guess what? It could happen.

Rodgers had at least appeared in some games during the regular season, nearly leading the Packers to a comeback win over the Cowboys which convinced the team's front office that he's capable of becoming a legitimate starter in the NFL. Yet Thompson spend two draft picks in 2008 on QBs, even using a second-rounder on Brian Brohm. It's far too early to truly evaluate Hundley because of some preseason action against second- and third-stringers.

It's possible the Packers trade Rodgers at some point but as I've said before it'd take another Favre saga for that to happen. Another thing to consider is that the Rams would immediately turn into a contender with #12 at QB, diminishing the value of the picks the Packers would receive in return.

Rodgers will be 35 years old at the time Hundley's rookie contract expires. As long as #12 doesn't pull a Favre at any point over the next three years I don't see the Packers wanting to move on from him nor Hundley re-signing with the team to sit on the bench for some more seasons.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say Hundley stays in Rodgers hip pocket, learns all that he can, develops his arm, feet, body, etc..., and when the time comes to pass the torch we are already ahead of the game.

Hundley will be long gone by the time Rodgers is no longer a Packer. Our next QB is probably still in high school right now.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have long thought about when the Packers will "Favre" Rodgers

Favre "Favred" himself. The Packers refused to go along with his "retirement" plans that included playing for the Vikings; so they traded him. It wasn't pretty, but it was all on Favre.

I would get rid of Mccarth way before I get rid of Rodgers.
Amen.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
surprised this idea didnt get more support. After all, according to some, TT only intends to waste ARs career anyway.

Or . . .

Those who love the Seahawk model should support the idea if we have a dirt cheap QB to free up money for FAs.

Seriously, I like Hundley also, but I would like to see a few more games over 2 more seasons before I determine how good he may become.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another outrageous idea would be to trade lacy for a 2nd rounder, or 3rd. And sign Lamar Miller lol

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers had at least appeared in some games during the regular season, nearly leading the Packers to a comeback win over the Cowboys which convinced the team's front office that he's capable of becoming a legitimate starter in the NFL. Yet Thompson spend two draft picks in 2008 on QBs, even using a second-rounder on Brian Brohm. It's far too early to truly evaluate Hundley because of some preseason action against second- and third-stringers.

It's possible the Packers trade Rodgers at some point but as I've said before it'd take another Favre saga for that to happen. Another thing to consider is that the Rams would immediately turn into a contender with #12 at QB, diminishing the value of the picks the Packers would receive in return.

Rodgers will be 35 years old at the time Hundley's rookie contract expires. As long as #12 doesn't pull a Favre at any point over the next three years I don't see the Packers wanting to move on from him nor Hundley re-signing with the team to sit on the bench for some more seasons.

TT did that because it is the SMART thing to do. QBs are worth the most. Every team should be doing this.