An outrageous idea whose time might be here

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been a Packers fan since 1961, so this isn't the hallucinations of a Vikings fan gone adrift.
A friend of a friend who works inside the Packers organization had some interesting news the other day. Apparently the relationship between #12 and his head coach isn't so good. How bad, who knows, but lets say it's been tough communication.
I have long thought about when the Packers will "Favre" Rodgers, that is, move him away for the next QB? I read reports this weekend that the team is very high on Hundley. Tolzien is likely to move on and the Packers won't make an offer to him. They think with MM's QB school and off season, he might be ready. The report said Hundley was a first-round pick that slipped by some wrong assumptions about him. He's still a first round pick.

The Rams are moving to LA this year and need a QB. In the old days, the Rams QB when they were based in LA was an instant movie star. Often the QB was in movies and later TV. It's the star power of the position in the star-making center of the world.
I think you see where this is heading.
Every Packer fan stands and says, "Are you nuts? Trade Aaron Rodgers?"

That is exactly what I'm saying. He's 32, not 25. He's had an off year, possibly enhanced by a bad knee. The Packers will eventually need to turn the page, so why not now?
The Rams are looking for a QB. Foles is ok, probably an above-average backup. Do you think they would welcome a former MVP and national celebrity to LA?

"But the Packers couldn't possibly get anything back in return to compensate for this?
This could be the equivalent of the Hershel Walker trade to the Packers in terms of the future. A minimum of two number ones and a two number two's. You could throw Foles in as well. Unless there's an infusion of talent, we're likely to see the Packers continue to slide until an eventual day when the viable starters are all old together and a change needs to be made. The Rams management sees the ticket-selling value of this trade straight out. This would be a marketing bonanza for them.

"But Aaron says he loves the Packers".
Yup, Favre did too. But Aaron is already heavily invested in the LA scene. His womanfriend, Olivia Munn, is a rising star in LA. Think she wants to spend much time in Green Bay? So given the crossroads in his relationship with McCarthy and strong ties to LA, I don't think he would mind. The Rams have talent on offense.
A second possibility is to trade Rodgers to the Chargers for Philip Rivers. Rivers is even older, but could be a place holder until he retires in a year or two. They might see the same value.

On the surface, the entire idea is outrageous. But so was the idea that humans could fly, or you could carry a device with you that would allow you to communicate around the world.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's no secret that there has been some tension between McCarthy and Rodgers at several points over their careers and that it seemed to get worse during last season.

But I can't envision any scenario in which Thompson would agree to trade Rodgers because of it and rely on a QB who hasn't taken a single regular season snap.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's no secret that there has been some tension between McCarthy and Rodgers at several points over their careers and that it seemed to get worse during last season.

But I can't envision any scenario in which Thompson would agree to trade Rodgers because of it and rely on a QB who hasn't taken a single regular season snap.

At this time, no. But in the near future? The idea of players who are 'untradeable' or 'untouchable' ended the day Wayne Gretzky was traded.

D

Deleted member 6794

At this time, no. But in the near future? The idea of players who are 'untradeable' or 'untouchable' ended the day Wayne Gretzky was traded.

Agreed, but that possibility with Rodgers is still years down the road.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, but that possibility with Rodgers is still years down the road.

If it were to happen, you can't wait too long to expect any value in return. Bill Walsh was big on trading guys while they still had some gas in the tank to maximize his return.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or they can just send McCarthy to the Rams for Gurley. I would get rid of Mccarth way before I get rid of Rodgers.

This is a case where the QB has made the coach look much better than he is.

D

Deleted member 6794

If it were to happen, you can't wait too long to expect any value in return. Bill Walsh was big on trading guys while they still had some gas in the tank to maximize his return.

I don't see any reason to do it though as long as Rodgers situation doesn't turn into another Favre saga. It's way tougher to replace a future Hall of Fame quarterback than a head coach.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I admit after Favre threw that ridiculous pick at Philly to end the playoff run after the 2003 season (the offense averaged 160 yards/game rushing at a 5 yard/rush average!) I wondered if he would ever be careful enough with the ball to win another title. But he was only 34 at that point and he was more careful with the ball in the 2007 season under McCarthy's tutelage. Anyway trading Rodgers at some point may make sense but net, can we at least wait until Hundley takes a snap from scrimmage in a regular season game? How about waiting until Rodgers has a "normal" Aaron Rodgers' season? BTW, Hundley is signed through the 2018 season, so there's no hurry!

Seriously, here's a pretty good article on Hundley - it is amazing the progress he made after coming from a program that didn't prepare him at all to play in the NFL. Eliot Wolf calls him a 'football nerd'!
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...eparing-to-step-up-b99659908z1-367006111.html

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Trade Rodgers. It will be years before the Packers find another good QB. Sounds good to me. Hundley? Really, and he has shown exactly what in any NFL game anywhere?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
How much could we fleece them for and what would be the cap hit? Re-sign Tolzien and get Gurley + Foles + 1 + 2 (2016) and 1 or 2 (2017)? Do they have an ILB we could use and/or a decent TE or LT? Don't expect a mega-trade like this to happen but it's a long time to OTAs.

EDIT> $13.3m dead money for a $5,950,000 savings. (pre-June 1st) http://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/
Foles: $1,750,000 + $6,000,000 guaranteed roster bonus 2016. 2017: $10,750,000 + $1.5m roster bonus

Last edited:

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. He's 32, not 25. But QB is a position that is 60% mental and 40% physical. Most QBs reach their mental peak in their mid to late 30s as long as their bodies play along. Sounds like the knee surgery AR had was pretty minor, probably just a scope. His "down" year was augmented by the most time lost I've ever heard of for a receiving corp: more than 50 games between Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Abbrederis and Quarless.

Maybe trade him at 35 when he's in the last year of his contract but not a moment sooner and only if the offer is right. You do NOT trade the best player in football when you're a top 5 team. NO WAY. I don't care how good Hundley might be in the future.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are plenty of examples of QB's playing at a high level in their late 30's, and many- such as Brady and Manning- were never considered for the "Mr. Mobility' award.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any reason to do it though as long as Rodgers situation doesn't turn into another Favre saga. It's way tougher to replace a future Hall of Fame quarterback than a head coach.
What exactly makes Rodgers a surefire hall of fame QB?
I have just accepted over the years that a lot of folks think he is a future hall of famer, but I'm starting to question that theory.
Help me out here.
If anyone can validate that thinking for me, I think you could be that person.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading Rodgers to play Hundley..

I'm pretty confident that the Packers organization currently has the opposite intentions, and understandably so. Both these guys are under contract for at least a couple more years, and if Hundley still seems to be the man being able to learn from Rodgers a couple more years certainly won't hurt.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What exactly makes Rodgers a surefire hall of fame QB?
I have just accepted over the years that a lot of folks think he is a future hall of famer, but I'm starting to question that theory.
Help me out here.
If anyone can validate that thinking for me, I think you could be that person.
He's a surefire Hall of Famer because he's a surefire Hall of Famer.

2x MVP
Super Bowl Champion & MVP
Highest Career Passer Rating of any QB
Best TD-INT ratio all-time
Lowest INT% all-time
The list of accomplishments goes on & on..
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Rodgers

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here's some more, with some overlap regarding Rodgers' HOF creditials: This table on jsonline compares Rodgers in his first 132 starts to the same number of starts for Favre, Peyton, Brady, Brees, Romo, and Montana.
Rodgers has the most passing yards by 422 vs. second place Romo. Rodgers has the most TDs, by 28 over Peyton. Rodgers has the fewest INTs by 28 vs. Brady. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/119635674.html

Rodgers reached 250 passing TDs faster than any QB in NFL history, beating Marino’s record by seven games. Rodgers reached 30,000 passing yards (in fewest attempts) 43 fewer attempts than Johnny Unitas.

This is from packers.com, I believe it's current through the 2014 season, but indicate about where he stands regarding the following:

He’s one of 8 players in league history to be named the AP’s MVP for multiple seasons.
Ranks #1 in career passer rating at 106.0.
Ranks #1 in career INT percentage (1.64%) and TD/INT ratio, #3 in completion percentage, and #3 in yards/attempt.
Ranks #1 in NFL history with 16 TD passes of 70-plus yards.

Staff online

Latest posts