All Capers Threads merged

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much like his father and brother, Rex is a good defensive coordinator. Like his father, his personality and ego keep propelling him to the head coaching position but his brother has figured out that they make outstanding coordinators but marginal HCs. I wouldn't mind him as DC but I'm not sure that MM is strong enough to corral Rex's ego. Look at how hard it was for Ditka.

There are many guys - such as a Norv Turner - that don't have the skillsets to be effective head coaches but are great coordinators.

Last edited:

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have gone back and forth with Capers performance as a Defensive coordinator but I think this season has put the nail in the coffin on my opinion of Capers. This Defense is too talented to be playing this poorly. The secondary is loaded with talent, the linebacking core has been injury prone so I will give him some benefit of the doubt and the defensive line is as close to as talented as we have seen it under capers regime but this defense continues to struggle and give up big plays. Capers should be gone at the end of the season imo. I hope Greene stays on though, that would be great.

I would also take Rex in a heart beat, media attention and all. I would hope the media frenzy around him would calm a bit seeing as he is in Green Bay not NYC and you would hope he would at least somewhat adopt the Green Bay philosophy. You would think with the talent this D has he would love to come here and do what it takes to stay and show just how good his defense can be.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It had better lead to something meaningful, because if it's just a "oh I'm mad now" kind of thing that gets swept under the rug come next week, then MM's qualities as a head coach should be put into question.

It might take the Giants' offense abusing the Packers next week to provoke some real action.

Oh, and I've had enough of Capers. It is time for MM to be decisive. This just keeps going on and on and on.
You can't just dump your DC mid season unless you already have a viable replacement in-house or if you're giving up. The only way I would do it now is if I thought Kevin Greene was ready for the job and I'm not so sure on that yet. No one else impresses me enough to put in that role right now. JMMHO

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I say that, it's not like Capers is asking the guys to do heroic stuff like Hawk cover Forte in the flat. We're talking about Williams & Burnett making a play on the ball instead of fumbliing it around to Desean Jackson.

The did make a play on the ball. It was just a freak play where they just happened to get there the same time. It happens. Individually, they both had good position on it.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The did make a play on the ball. It was just a freak play where they just happened to get there the same time. It happens. Individually, they both had good position on it.
That is a tough one to place any blame on.
The fickle finger of fate just keeps flipping us the bird for some reason.
The football gods have taken the number 13 (13 championships) and used it against us.
ARRGh

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers needs to go now. He should've been fired 2 years ago he keeps allowing sub par performances. I hate that we are allowing him to get away with it. I hate the question who do we replace him with? I'm sure any of the other coaches will do a much better job than we have so far this year. Can't get any worse. First player I cut immediately is Tramon Williams. That guy is useless. He is always 2 steps behind the receivers. Can't intercept anything. They should also bench Mathews until the club comes off. He had no impact on the last game. Lattimore should've came in. I think if we fire Capers it will give this defense a different look. Something they haven't had in years.

H

HardRightEdge

Capers in on the clock.

We haven't seen the defense carry the team through a poor offensive performance or shut the door in dramatic fashion in second halves in quite some time. The pass rush has been weak for 2 years running even when Matthews was healthy. Forget the stats...we're #3 in the league in blitz frequency which pumps up the pass rush stats. 3 and 4 man rushes have been ineffective for several years running and it doesn't seem to matter whether the front line guys are injured or not.

The D-backfield has regressed...turnovers have become rare and the red zone D has been absolutely dreadful this season.

I've never come down on the "fire Capers" side of the argument with any particular conviction...until now. If things don't turn around dramatically over the balance of this year it will be time for a change.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get the argument that its squarely on the players. If that were the case they why would any coach ever get fired? You get to put 11 guys out on the field and they need to do the job. I don't want to hear about injuries because they happen to everyone. You have to scheme to get the most out of the 11 that you have out there each play. The bend/don't break crap only works when Rodgers is scoring at a rate higher than the other team. Every time they go into that mode its just carving time for the opposing offense.

...and the tackling. I don't care if you aren't the one on the field. You are the coach of the defense and the defense can't tackle. These are elite athletes. You should be able to teach them how to tackle and hold them accountable for the times they don't. ...and how hard is it to teach basic fundamental safety play!!!

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
This is what I've seen this year:
Run defense has been awesome. Pass defense early in games has been good. Packers without their top two OLB in Matthews and Perry has to account for something doesn't it?
Let's be honest: McCoy leads the NFL in rushing - dude is a monster if given room. He had all of his production going outside. If Perry and Matthews are healthy that wouldn't have happened. They have contain. I saw him run right past Clay because Clay couldn't get off the block with that club thing.
I know it's difficult for many to watch these games and get upset but I see a defense that would be a world of different without injuries.
Those ugly long plays mostly don't happen on a regular basis. It just seems like the football gods have it in for the Packers this year. Seriously lucky big plays for the Eagles and only one for the Packers (Boykin catch).
Hey, Packers lost important players on the Oline and they put the game on Tolzien and I'm really, really happy with this performance for a 3rd stringer.
Firing Capers at this point of the season is akin to tanking. This was a formidable defense two games ago. Give it another game or two folks. Defenders were in position to win matchups this game, those turnovers will come. It wasn't even remotely on Capers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So is Ted just drafting players that are too dumb and/or reticent to perform their assignments?

No, the players are where they're supposed to be, so that would imply that they know their assignments. I won't go and blame TT for it but I will say that maybe MM needs to re-evaluate how many full contact practices the Packers have prior to the season (pretty sure the CBA allows many more padded practices during training camp).

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well,after reading an interview with Capers about the "recurring issues" in the 4th quarter,I think he may be a little arrogant,aloof,or blind to the problem. He was saying that pretty much that is how the ball bounces for lack of a better term,and that he has seen it happen before and that things WILL change for us in the other direction and that it will swing in our favor. :sleep:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get the argument that its squarely on the players. If that were the case they why would any coach ever get fired? You get to put 11 guys out on the field and they need to do the job. I don't want to hear about injuries because they happen to everyone. You have to scheme to get the most out of the 11 that you have out there each play. The bend/don't break crap only works when Rodgers is scoring at a rate higher than the other team. Every time they go into that mode its just carving time for the opposing offense.

...and the tackling. I don't care if you aren't the one on the field. You are the coach of the defense and the defense can't tackle. These are elite athletes. You should be able to teach them how to tackle and hold them accountable for the times they don't. ...and how hard is it to teach basic fundamental safety play!!!

The coach would get fired if his defense is constantly not in position to make plays and continually looked confused. This defense has guys in the right spot, they just aren't making the play.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers in on the clock.

We haven't seen the defense carry the team through a poor offensive performance or shut the door in dramatic fashion in second halves in quite some time. The pass rush has been weak for 2 years running even when Matthews was healthy. Forget the stats...we're #3 in the league in blitz frequency which pumps up the pass rush stats. 3 and 4 man rushes have been ineffective for several years running and it doesn't seem to matter whether the front line guys are injured or not.

The D-backfield has regressed...turnovers have become rare and the red zone D has been absolutely dreadful this season.

I've never come down on the "fire Capers" side of the argument with any particular conviction...until now. If things don't turn around dramatically over the balance of this year it will be time for a change.

Our defense hasn't carried the team? Let's go back and see where the bulk of this team's salaries are paid. It's not the defense. Now let's also remember that the highest paid/best player on defense hasn't played in a few weeks and looked awful because he was playing with one arm. Exactly what would lead someone to believe that our defense would ever have the capability to "carry" the team? This team is not built around the defense.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much like his father and brother, Rex is a good defensive coordinator. Like his father, his personality and ego keep propelling him to the head coaching position but his brother has figured out that they make outstanding coordinators but marginal HCs. I wouldn't mind him as DC but I'm not sure that MM is strong enough to corral Rex's ego. Look at how hard it was for Ditka.

There are many guys - such as a Norv Turner - that don't have the skillsets to be effective head coaches but are great coordinators.

thats on offense tho..we need a guy for defense really bad. Capers does suck

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coach would get fired if his defense is constantly not in position to make plays and continually looked confused. This defense has guys in the right spot, they just aren't making the play.

I have seen defensive back confusion and guys in the wrong place. When Burnett is not out there the safeties are lost. When Collins was hurt years ago it took forever for the next man up to figure out where to be on the field. There have been multiple occasions this year when the free safety has not been the deepest man on the field.

I heard Butler speak yesterday on some of the terrible technique shown by the safeties this year. They are flat footed at times, reading the qb while the wr runs right by, cheating up for a shot at a pick and getting beat deep.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's getting tricky for me. One thing that has started to push me towards the fire capers side is the utter and complete lack of turnover and aggressiveness when needed. For example, in the Bears game, McCown was picking us apart. They had the ball at their 1- or 2-yard line or something in the second half. We blitz on first down and they do nothing. Second down, zone coverage, easy completion and they go on a huge drive.

On the other hand, when we were a healthy team - i.e. had our OLBs - we were a pretty good defense for a while. I thought we played great at SF in a hard-nosed game. Boldin picked us apart, but I think that had a lot to do with Burnett being out. Our run defense - until recently when our OLBs have been out - has been better than it has in years.

Still, I come back to the secondary play. This is an extremely talented secondary with five guys that could start on a lot of teams. We should not be allowing McCown and Foles to pick us apart.

I'm conflicted.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well,after reading an interview with Capers about the "recurring issues" in the 4th quarter,I think he may be a little arrogant,aloof,or blind to the problem. He was saying that pretty much that is how the ball bounces for lack of a better term,and that he has seen it happen before and that things WILL change for us in the other direction and that it will swing in our favor. :sleep:

He's just as stubborn as MM. Time for him to check into a nursing home and let a much younger guy take over the defense.

H

HardRightEdge

Our defense hasn't carried the team? Let's go back and see where the bulk of this team's salaries are paid. It's not the defense. Now let's also remember that the highest paid/best player on defense hasn't played in a few weeks and looked awful because he was playing with one arm. Exactly what would lead someone to believe that our defense would ever have the capability to "carry" the team? This team is not built around the defense.
4 of the top 5 cap figures on this team are defensive players. We had an all-defense draft in 2012. Our last two first rounders were defensive players along with two second rounders in the last two years.

I'm not talking about one game or one year or one injury. A lot of money and attention has been applied to the defense the last two seasons with, on balance, no appreciable improvement.

While it is true this team's hallmark is outscoring opponents, one would expect the defense to step up once in a while and close out a game. Going soft in the 4th. quarter has been a troublesome pattern that reaches back 3 years. A horrible red zone performance this season, while enjoying a string of QBs with unimpressive resumes is troubling. The lack of turnovers is equally troubling.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 of the top 5 cap figures on this team are defensive players. We had an all-defense draft in 2012. Our last two first rounders were defensive players along with two second rounders in the last two years.

I'm not talking about one game or one year or one injury. A lot of money and attention has been applied to the defense the last two seasons with, on balance, no appreciable improvement.

While it is true this team's hallmark is outscoring opponents, one would expect the defense to step up once in a while and close out a game. Going soft in the 4th. quarter has been a troublesome pattern that reaches back 3 years. A horrible red zone performance this season, while enjoying a string of QBs with unimpressive resumes is troubling. The lack of turnovers is equally troubling.

Nailed it! So to everyone who is trying to defend the pathetic defense that has been a primary focus stop please. They tease us from time to time, but in reality? i don't see this defense EVER being close to the one we had in 2010. These guy's stink in the redzone and they don't take the ball away either..that's not a good combo.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts