Al Harris... "It's been an awesome ride."

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris: 'It's Been An Awesome Ride' - Green Bay Packers News Story - WISC Madison

Not sure what to make of this article.... Make's me feel that seeing Harris out there roaming the secondary isn't such a sure thing anymore...

Apparently McCarthy said that the roster spot left by DE Montgomery will NOT be filled by a PUP player.

And Harris said that he's got coaches and players pulling for him, like there are thought's of cutting ties?

I sure hope not.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whoa.

I guess based on his salary you would want to cut him after this season but I say play the year out. We need the depth

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why the heck wouldn't they at least have him activated for emergency purposes, we lost PAT LEE for a week, he could even be on SPECIAL TEAMS, what is their present purpose and reason for not activating him? Doctors? Coaches? TT has other plans?? Doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.......
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
98Redbird

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting how when Harris was listing those pulling for him he left off his CB's coach...

I'll be really bummed if I don't see Harris on the field again in Green and Gold... I was really pulling for him ever since his injury.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think GB just tends to take every precautionary measure necessary when players get hurt.

Then again, the Derrick Martin injury wouldn't suggest that, so who knows

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Not the first thing I wanted to see this evening! ... I still have hopes!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris isn't a starter in this team, he's maybe the nickel CB.

But it's BS if they don't activate him. It's BS. Sure, he doesn't play ST. But there's no way he can't help this team, at least in the short term.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure the hope they don't cut him!!! We need him for the 2nd half of the season!!! Bring back Harris!!! Bring back Harris!!! Bring back Harris!!! :happy0005:

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Yeah, he's not a starter anymore. Tramon has far surpassed him, and I don't think he can play at Woodson's level just coming off such serious surgery.

It would be sad to see him go, I'd hope he could stick around and back our guys up.

PackerChef

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what to make of this article.... Make's me feel that seeing Harris out there roaming the secondary isn't such a sure thing anymore...

Apparently McCarthy said that the roster spot left by DE Montgomery will NOT be filled by a PUP player.

And Harris said that he's got coaches and players pulling for him, like there are thought's of cutting ties?

I sure hope not.

First I just want to say Hi... I've been lurking on these forums for a long time and decided i should just start talking to you guys

Now to the article... I sure hope that harris isn't cut too but I think that you're taking the article quote about the roster spot not being taken by a PUP player... the article says he won't fill it with a PUP player until Saturday... he probably just wants to see who has the best chance of helping us... The quote from the article goes like this: "Even though the Packers have an open roster spot after releasing defensive end Mike Montgomery earlier in the week, coach Mike McCarthy made it clear that he wouldn’t fill the spot with any of the three PUP players – Harris, safety Atari Bigby or rookie running back James Starks – before Saturday."

Just sayin that the article does not have "he's getting cut" feel to me...

Once again hello and GO PACK GO!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First I just want to say Hi... I've been lurking on these forums for a long time and decided i should just start talking to you guys

Now to the article... I sure hope that harris isn't cut too but I think that you're taking the article quote about the roster spot not being taken by a PUP player... the article says he won't fill it with a PUP player until Saturday... he probably just wants to see who has the best chance of helping us... The quote from the article goes like this: "Even though the Packers have an open roster spot after releasing defensive end Mike Montgomery earlier in the week, coach Mike McCarthy made it clear that he wouldn’t fill the spot with any of the three PUP players – Harris, safety Atari Bigby or rookie running back James Starks – before Saturday."

Just sayin that the article does not have "he's getting cut" feel to me...

Once again hello and GO PACK GO!
Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, that changes completely the tone of the thing. Great point.

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be SO FREAKIN PISSED if Harris goes anywhere else. Before his injury last year, he was out there making fools out of other teams and one of the most exciting players to watch in the NFL.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah packerRS i think is right i think MM is going to activate one of them, I think he will activate AL the way al sound in his interview, he sound ready. I would be extreamly upset if they dont activate him, this guy has put it work to get back im sure he can be a starter on alot of teams he damn sure can atleast play in the nickel packages wich i think dallas will run alot of 3 wide and so forth. Al is a good tackler also just incase they tried to run on our nickel,he deserves the chance. Like i said i would be pissed if they didnt activate al. Al has amazing awarness he gets picks and take them to the house. Outside of woodson i dont see any other DB taking picks to the house. Tramon hands down has stepped up and earned the starting spot, but al needs to be on the field.

OP
OP
98Redbird

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just going to play devils advocate here, but maybe he's not the same? Maybe the coaches are seeing this and that's why he's not been activated. Maybe he can't compete at this level anymore...

I hope like all hell that I'm wrong as I am a HUGE Al Harris fan, but I mean, the coaches see him every day, we don't.

Schmitty327

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they do activate him I think he will start off in the dime package and work his way up to the nickle. But I still feel that Bigby is gonna get that roster spot before AL.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
He is just acknowledging that he is an older player and the injury he received is a career ending injury in most sports. It isn't just like a little arthroscopic surgery. This was major reconstruction of most of the attachments around and in the knee. He knows it will be a long shot to be able to run at the speed he once ran. I think Starks will be dumped before either Harris or Bigby. Why else would they have brought in Nance?

If Harris hasn't lost too much speed he'll be a role player in certain situations. Then he may decide to retire at the end of the season if he realizes he's been slowed too much by the reconstruction. Football is a dirty business, but I think the Pack would have let him go sooner if they had those intentions.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also think of how much some of these younger guys can learn from a guy like Harris. Having him on might just be better for everyone. I always imagined Harris retiring as a Packer anyway....

L

Lunchboxer

Why would the Pack cut him. Or Trade him.

We probably need him.

Hope he comes back after the Bye.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cant trade him...

From what I heard in practice a few coaches said he looks better then before?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cant trade him...

From what I heard in practice a few coaches said he looks better then before?

Yeah, trade deadline has passed. They could put him in waivers but I highly doubt they would do that.

I hope you are right about him looking better than before!!! That would just make my whole day!!! :happy0005:

Members online

Latest posts