Abbrederis & Jannis are better than Jones & Adams.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You know the saying. Relax. Let everything happen before the season and let's see who improves, who matures and who develops and then let's see what shakes out. I am looking forward to next season.
Okay that's it then. GUYS, I'm telling @robdog to shut 'er down until the preseason games start. Nothing to discuss until then. Enjoy your summer. [/sarcasm]

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm wondering what this claim is based on. And didn't he have a great camp last year?

I think he's a poor fit in this system. He can't catch balls in the middle of the field on the run, he can't make the over-the-shoulder catch, and has 0 improvisational skills. He's scared to get hit. In college, I saw him making the same drops. He's running ahead and fears a collision, and loses focus.

. I could see him working out in a West Coast ****-and-dunk offense like he was at in college, but he'll need a good supporting cast in order to succeed anywhere.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's possible but that report is solely based on Silverstein's opinion.

I am certain it is because Bowe was THE number one receiver on KC both years. Look at the bums they had. You won't even recognize the other receivers not playing TE. Our youngsters we are talking about haven't been the top gun, at least until injuries took out every one else.

And let's not forget, losing Jordy pushed every receiver up at lest one spot on the pecking order. Not all were prepared for the change. Cobb benefits from having Jordy on the field. Jones, Adams, Abby, Janis all would benefit from Jordy being on the field. So any having a slump could very well be because now they get a defender better than they would have to go against so Nelson playing.

There's no doubt having Nelson on the field makes the job of every other receiver way easier. It was disappointing that none of them stepped up their game last season after Jordy went down though.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers may pull the plug on Adams if he doesn't have a good camp.

The leash that TT gives his draft picks would circle the early approximately 2 1/2 times. He would have to be brutal for the Packers to cut loose with him.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The leash that TT gives his draft picks would circle the early approximately 2 1/2 times. He would have to be brutal for the Packers to cut loose with him.

In some cases this is true but others have been given the axe quickly. Khyri Thornton was a 3rd round pick cut after just a year (and probably wouldn't have even made it that far if he hadn't wound up on IR the first year), as was Bradford as a 4th. Brian Brohm in 2008 was a 2nd rounder who lasted just one season.

People assume Adams is safe but I don't know why. He was brutal last year. I'd give him the upper hand over Davis and Abbrederis right now but I wouldn't think he's any safer than Janis. He needs a good camp.

Every WR on our roster was a TT draft pick and we have 7 so someone is going to have to go. Maybe 2.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In some cases this is true but others have been given the axe quickly. Khyri Thornton was a 3rd round pick cut after just a year (and probably wouldn't have even made it that far if he hadn't wound up on IR the first year), as was Bradford as a 4th. Brian Brohm in 2008 was a 2nd rounder who lasted just one season.

People assume Adams is safe but I don't know why. He was brutal last year. I'd give him the upper hand over Davis and Abbrederis right now but I wouldn't think he's any safer than Janis. He needs a good camp.

Every WR on our roster was a TT draft pick and we have 7 so someone is going to have to go. Maybe 2.

It's really tough to say right now who's got what in our WR core. I'd say as of right now, only 2 people have guaranteed spots, and that's Nelson and Cobb. I think the battle for No. 3 is wide open atm and is going to be so all the way till the end of preseason.

My guess is that no. 3 will be a battle between Janis and Adams, and Adams is going to have to show he can get back to catching the ball to win it. But having said that, assuming Adams does reclaim his spot, I think there will and should be plenty of opportunities for Janis to be a go-to guy in the offense considering the progress he made last year with each opportunity. Abbrederis on the other hand, I don't have as high a feeling on atm. Thought he showed some good potential in his first appearances last year, but seemed as time went on he too exhibited the dropsies and seemed to disappear off the scene.

I think there'll be an interesting decision to be made on Ty Montgomery and Trevor Davis, and that is which of those 2 is more likely to be used on special teams, or do they both field kickoffs, or does one of them do kicks, the other punts, or does one of them do all of both. Obviously Montgomery needs to be back to full speed after his injury and show he won't be an injury liability. I'd suspect if he did though, he might be playing a little bit bigger of a regular offensive role in a 4 or 5 WR set package in the slot, or something like that. Davis I'd see as more likely to be more of a special teams guy, but that's just my guess.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's really tough to say right now who's got what in our WR core. I'd say as of right now, only 2 people have guaranteed spots, and that's Nelson and Cobb. I think the battle for No. 3 is wide open atm and is going to be so all the way till the end of preseason.

My guess is that no. 3 will be a battle between Janis and Adams, and Adams is going to have to show he can get back to catching the ball to win it. But having said that, assuming Adams does reclaim his spot, I think there will and should be plenty of opportunities for Janis to be a go-to guy in the offense considering the progress he made last year with each opportunity. Abbrederis on the other hand, I don't have as high a feeling on atm. Thought he showed some good potential in his first appearances last year, but seemed as time went on he too exhibited the dropsies and seemed to disappear off the scene.

I think there'll be an interesting decision to be made on Ty Montgomery and Trevor Davis, and that is which of those 2 is more likely to be used on special teams, or do they both field kickoffs, or does one of them do kicks, the other punts, or does one of them do all of both. Obviously Montgomery needs to be back to full speed after his injury and show he won't be an injury liability. I'd suspect if he did though, he might be playing a little bit bigger of a regular offensive role in a 4 or 5 WR set package in the slot, or something like that. Davis I'd see as more likely to be more of a special teams guy, but that's just my guess.

Despite Adams struggling mightily last season I see him as the front runner to start on the outside opposite of Nelson.

I fully expect the coaching staff to use Montgomery's unique abilities wither in the slot or out of the backfield to benefit the offense.

I wonder if drafting Davis is an indication for the team not being confident in Janis being able to take the next step.

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think training camp will tell if Nelspn makes Adams better, but based on the season performance of just last year I would take Abby and Janis any day over Adams. He needs to really prove himself in camp this year IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think training camp will tell if Nelspn makes Adams better, but based on the season performance of just last year I would take Abby and Janis any day over Adams. He needs to really prove himself in camp this year IMO.

Especially Janis and to a lesser extent Abbrederis showed a lot of promise in the playoff game at Arizona but you have to realize that those two have a combined 13 career regular season receptions. In my opinion you´re getting way ahead of yourself ranking both of them ahead of Adams.

H

HardRightEdge

Was his rookie year actually promising, or was I deluding myself? I refreshed my memory, so I'll refresh yours:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

For those saying he cannot run in the middle, this tape debunks that. In fact, he's a possession receiver, on the rookie tape and in the stats. Of his 38 catches, 61% went for first downs.

It's an insult to the intelligence when these reporters put him on the bubble for even a #6 spot while not even mentioning he played injured or that he was miscast as the #1 in his second year with slow-as-molasses complements at WR, TE and RB who opened up nothing, and a slot who looked to be struggling himself.

Whether Adams can be more than a #2 complement/possession guy, who can say, but putting him on the bubble is extremely premature.

As a reminder, consider Nelson:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11270/jordy-nelson

He did not break out until his 4th. season, and as I recall McCarthy said he was adding to his route tree going into the 5th. season.

Out of one side their mouths fans (and reporters) laud the draft-and-develop philosophy and then out of the other side they expect veteran performance from an injured second year player.

The idea that he would not make the roster borders on ludicrous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wonder if drafting Davis is an indication for the team not being confident in Janis being able to take the next step.

I think it reflects their confidence level not only in Janis, but Adams and Abby as well. I really don't see the Packers carrying 7 WR's. If Davis shows some real potential, can't be stashed on the PS and all of the WR's stay healthy, Davis takes one of those 3's spot on the roster.

In that situation, my guess is Abby will be the odd man out, unless Janis shows no improvement as a WR and they find an adequate gunner to replace him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it reflects their confidence level not only in Janis, but Adams and Abby as well. I really don't see the Packers carrying 7 WR's. If Davis shows some real potential, can't be stashed on the PS and all of the WR's stay healthy, Davis takes one of those 3's spot on the roster.

The reason I´m wondering about the coaching staff´s confidence level in Janis is the fact that Davis offers exactly the same skill set.

H

HardRightEdge

Despite Adams struggling mightily last season I see him as the front runner to start on the outside opposite of Nelson.
If he's healthy, that's a very solid bet.

Many take the drafting of Davis as some kind of handwriting on the wall for Adams. I don't think that's the thinking at all. It's another attempt to add a low cost speed element, which has been in place since before Adams ever took a snap.

Last season's receiving corps, including Lacy who was quite involved in 2014, was arguably the slowest in the league.

Speed may not necessarily always kill, but the absence of it does.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The reason I´m wondering about the coaching staff´s confidence level in Janis is the fact that Davis offers exactly the same skill set.

Accept maybe the gunner part, but I agree, the coaching staff has been pretty up front and transparent with their decisions surrounding him about their confidence in Janis's skills at WR. Let's face it......Janis would be standing on a 1" teeter totter right now for a roster spot, if it wasn't for his play at the gunner position. I know some saw something different out of him in the AZ game, I didn't. Nor did I see enough through the entire season to automatically elevate him too high at the position.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If he's healthy, that's a very solid bet.

I totally agree with your stance on Adams. Guessing he is the odds on favorite to be the starter opposite Jordy. To keep that position all he will have to do is stay healthy and keep playing like he did while healthy (2014). But I also think some of his play last year, when healthy, warrants some doubt from coaches as well as fans. He just needs to quiet those doubts. The same could be said about Cobb given his season last year, but few are saying it due to his longer track record of showing just how good he can be.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Accept maybe the gunner part, but I agree, the coaching staff has been pretty up front and transparent with their decisions surrounding him about their confidence in Janis's skills at WR. Let's face it......Janis would be standing on a 1" teeter totter right now for a roster spot, if it wasn't for his play at the gunner position. I know some saw something different out of him in the AZ game, I didn't. Nor did I see enough through the entire season to automatically elevate him too high at the position.

Tough to show much through the entire season on offense without getting any opportunities to do so.

D

Deleted member 6794

Tough to show much through the entire season on offense without getting any opportunities to do so.

While that´s true Janis lack of knowledge of the Packers playbook as well as his poor route running contributed to him not getting on the field.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think you are referring to Janis? You are right, but......given the comments made from coaches and AR concerning Janis, he wasn't earning these opportunities mainly due to his classroom and practice performance. You can say "this guy or that guy will be a star", but they have to earn that playing time before they can prove it. I still contend that even with the few opportunities that Janis was given, he didn't show much.

H

HardRightEdge

I know some saw something different out of him in the AZ game, I didn't.
Some Janis advocates might point to the Hail Mary, even if it was a borderline catch. Lack of control could have gone either way. Clearly there was full extension on this play, something we have not seen from Janis, but it was a lob.

You still saw him arms-bent on nearly every other catch last season. You don't see him making back shoulders or adjusting to a ball that isn't put right on him, or getting full arm extension on a ball with some mustard on it. It goes to the McCarthy references to "catch radius". What does anybody think that's about with a guy this big who can jump? It's about extending and adjusting to the ball. You can't look at just the throws he gets; you have to think about the balls not thrown to his weaknesses.

His best trait to recommend him for even semi-regular play is that he's tough as nails in the middle and breaks tackles for YAC.

We've seen the thinly veiled comments from the QB about a lack of work ethic. That could be poor study habits. But it can also be that Janis isn't wired to take what he sees in the playbook or on the grease board directly to the field. Some players have to learn by doing, but the NFL doesn't coddle and they don't put interns on the field in money games unless somebody gets hurt. There's little room for on-the-field repetition learning if the study aspect doesn't complement raw ability. Or maybe his mind is just swimming from having graduated from a glorified high school offense to the NFL.

I wouldn't write him off, but you have to wonder whether his development can stay ahead of the NFL's (and Rodgers' in particular) patience level.

That said, there was one catch in the AZ game that made me sit up a bit, and not the one anybody might think. It's not in his season highlight tape on youtube, as one would expect. It was a quick slant for a short gain late in the game. He was quick out of the break, got low with extension on a ball with mustard and made the catch. It think it was the first extended hands catch I've seen him make on something other than a lob. It may be a matter of some time, but he might get where he needs to be...again, if the patience doesn't wear thin.

But he is a playmaking gunner and a productive KO returner. Consider how thin the Packers are at safety going into this camp because they value Banjo for special teams. Or consider Bush, a dime S/CB buried in the depth chart, whose sole utility the last couple years was as the lead gunner and a captain-like guy, but at no small expense.

McCarthy talks about low picks/UDFAs/bubble players having to contribute on special teams. The reason is simple. Nobody, including McCarthy, know whether a guy will develop or how long it might take. A developmental player buys the time to develop with special teams play. I think Janis' special teams play and raw athletic ability has earned him the right.

I believe Abbrederis, who has no special teams utility, will have to do something remarkable in preseason or Davis will have to fall flat going to practice squad, to bump Janis off the roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

If Davis shows some real potential, can't be stashed on the PS and all of the WR's stay healthy, Davis takes one of those 3's spot on the roster.
Without the KR potential, Davis would not have gone in the low 5th. round. So, if he does not show well in that role in preseason, his value sinks and PS becomes a possibility unless he wows as a receiver.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Without the KR potential, Davis would not have gone in the low 5th. round. So, if he does not show well in that role in preseason, his value sinks and PS becomes a possibility unless he wows as a receiver.

Agreed. Does it strike anyone else as odd, that when we are talking about at least 1/2 of our WR's, we are using the terms "potential, underperformed and practice squad"? :coffee:

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. Does it strike anyone else as odd, that when we are talking about at least 1/2 of our WR's, we are using the terms "potential, underperformed and practice squad"? :coffee:

Well, that's because receivers being fourth or fifth on a team's depth chart are mostly guys on the bubble everywhere in the league.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, that's because receivers being fourth or fifth on a team's depth chart are mostly guys on the bubble everywhere in the league.
True for some teams, but not all. I also see those terms being used with our #3 on down and even to some extent with Cobb. Talk of him being over paid and underperforming. Which I agree with, if all you look at was last year. Which I hope is the case with the rest of the group. Definitely hard to project what some of the WR's will do this year if its solely based on last year or the little history of that particular player. So optimism can be high, but so can reasons to worry.

Staff online

Latest posts