Abbrederis & Jannis are better than Jones & Adams.

D

Deleted member 6794

That guy comparing the two receivers gets a "10" for prognostication. He called Adams a slot receiver. Interesting. That may help to explain why he has struggled mightily to produce. It just could be that TT and MM are stubbornly trying to pound a square peg into a round hole by playing Adams outside. He hasn't been a good fit out there. Two or three good games over the past two seasons doesn't cut it, at least it shouldn't.

Adams is for sure not a slot receiver. He doesn't have the speed to consistently run past NFL corners on the outside so he has to sharpen his routes and come down with contested catches.

Sky King

Reaction score
I agree Adams performance in 2015 was disappointing, that doesn't change the fact that he's way better suited to play outside though.
Comparing Adams to himself, perhaps yes. But when the last WR in the pecking order outperforms anything that Adams did all season (in a playoff game no less) #17 does not inspire confidence that he's got game.

Adams loafs through his routes. Maybe the part-time WR coach was too preoccupied with his other assignment. ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comparing Adams to himself, perhaps yes. But when the last WR in the pecking order outperforms anything that Adams did all season (in a playoff game no less) #17 does not inspire confidence that he's got game.

Adams loafs through his routes. Maybe the part-time WR coach was too preoccupied with his other assignment. ;)
not excusing anything, but I was on him and others on running half assed routes all season long. Then I watched iso's of other receivers in the last round of playoff games and most of them were not seemingly loafing, as I would call it, thru parts of their routes too. I don't think it's unique to GB anymore. I saw it on every team. Probably has a lot to do with the route they are to run, others that need to clear a zone, how they're taught to set up a defender, the protections called, etc. The stuff none of us get to know about, we just see a isolation camera shot on a receiver and an announcer saying they just can't get separation.

But these coaches are big on effort. I can't see them having praise for a guy that is clearly struggling, if he's being lazy. I think I was wrong in my assessment of the receivers most of last year.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams is for sure not a slot receiver. He doesn't have the speed to consistently run past NFL corners on the outside so he has to sharpen his routes and come down with contested catches.
So he's not very big, not very physical, not very fast...where was the potential to warrant him a 2nd round pick?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
So he's not very big, not very physical, not very fast...where was the potential to warrant him a 2nd round pick?
If you really want to know, here's some homework:
"DRAFT PROJECTION Round 2"
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/davante-adams?id=2543495

"DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 1-2 (top 50)"
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/davante-adams?id=2543495

"Projected Round: 2"
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=91227&draftyear=2014&genpos=WR

“Adams looks like a solid second-round pick, although some believe he could sneak into the end of the first round.”
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014dadams.php#CjMQxOj0YpCG04l4.99

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you really want to know, here's some homework:
"DRAFT PROJECTION Round 2"
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/davante-adams?id=2543495

"DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 1-2 (top 50)"
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/davante-adams?id=2543495

"Projected Round: 2"
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=91227&draftyear=2014&genpos=WR

“Adams looks like a solid second-round pick, although some believe he could sneak into the end of the first round.”
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014dadams.php#CjMQxOj0YpCG04l4.99
I watched the highlights of his best plays, and he looked like a 6th rounder at best. Allen Robinson looked much better, Bryant looked much better, Moncrief looked much better. His projected status in the draft made no sense given that he was classified as merely a possession receiver, yet was only 6'1 and was in a very weak college classification.

Sure, he was graded as being able to catch the ball consistently (we know better now) and to high point the ball, by why not get a bigger and/or faster receiver to make it easier on the QB? Nobody likes throwing it in tight Windows or up for grabs everyone he tries to get the ball to somebody.

Sky King

Reaction score
Personally, it looks like after a two year audition that several draftniks may have misjudged Adams. He's certainly not lived up to their lofty evaluations. Will MM and company waste another year stubbornly waiting for this guy's light to come on? What if it already has?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, it looks like after a two year audition that several draftniks may have misjudged Adams. He's certainly not lived up to their lofty evaluations. Will MM and company waste another year stubbornly waiting for this guy's light to come on? What if it already has?
I think we've seen all there is to see. He'll have a couple of good games, as any WR will have with Rodgers and Nelson in the lineup, but then he'll fall off the face of the earth or just be average for the remainder of the year. Could be worse, but certainly could have been much better given the talent available in that draft.

Maybe he'll live up to the endorsement given by Rodgers and company. I don't think they were completely embellishing, but I think they were expecting him to play at a much higher level than he did in either his first or second season.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this thread shows is just how quick some people are to either cast a player aside or anoint them to greatness

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this thread shows is just how quick some people are to either cast a player aside or anoint them to greatness

Agree completely. Adams had a huge game in the playoffs against Dallas last year and he was anointed to greatness. Janis has a huge game in the playoffs this year and he is anointed to greatness and Adams is treated like a guy that should be cut.

I loved what Janis did that last drive in the playoff game but people do realize that before that last drive Janis had 5 catches for 41 yards right? Those are almost identical numbers to what Adams had the week before! Someone posted in this thread that Janis seems better on broken plays and I completely agree and I think the film from the Cardinals game shows that. The knock on him was route running and that he would free lance. On broken plays that is more acceptable and where he seems best. He still has time to fix that and hopefully this off-season is that time. I am just going to try to not let one desperation drive make me think Janis has figured it out

Adams needs some work that is for sure but i just dont understand why people would be ready to cut him. In the Washington playoff game he had a very nice first two quarters before suffering that knee injury. He actually looked like what I think most were hoping he would before the season started. He is just two years out just like Janis. He has obviously shown more in practice than Janis and he has also had a couple big games. Why are we in a rush to cast guys aside especially when they battled injuries throughout the year?

In different threads I have seen calls to cut Cobb, Adams, and people insinuating Montgomery shouldnt be safe. It just seems like a lot of knee jerk reactions to me. I might be the only one but I am excited about a wide receiving group of Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis, and Abby especially if we can add a TE who can stretch the field.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Do you say the same for Janis? Except outside the one drive against the Cardinals scouts may actually have been right about Janis after two years. I am willing to give Janis another year to see if the light comes on and that the last drive against the cardinals was more than two fluke broken plays. I am also definitely willing to give Adams another year because his games against Dallas and the Patriots last year were enough to make me think he can be a solid wr in the league.

Sky King

Reaction score
Do you say the same for Janis? Except outside the one drive against the Cardinals scouts may actually have been right about Janis after two years. I am willing to give Janis another year to see if the light comes on and that the last drive against the cardinals was more than two fluke broken plays. I am also definitely willing to give Adams another year because his games against Dallas and the Patriots last year were enough to make me think he can be a solid wr in the league.
And they may have been wrong, too. It's been known to happen. Coaching and experience can help a player to reach his potential, especially when he's bigger, faster and more powerful to begin with.

IMHO, Adams has not played up to his draft status and Janis has exceeded his, even if his (Janis) limited receiving success did not count which, of course, it should. Adams had two good receiving games in 2014 and one in 2015 with both Jordy and Cobb drawing a fair amount of attention away from him in 2014 (edit). He doesn't even play STs.

Janis has had two good receiving games in 2015. Plus, he's been an impactful player on STs as both a gunner and a returner. Did scouts even weigh-in on his STs abilities before the draft? Not that I'm aware. Yet his athleticism has to be the key to his success. It sure wasn't experience, although he's gaining that now. That return on investment can't be ignored.

Considering the disparate sample sizes for both players as WRs, I have no doubts who has made the most of his opportunities, so far, and who has not.

Consider this excerpt from a series by the GBPG:

Jeff Janis

After redshirting his rookie season, Janis emerged as a standout on special teams. His straight-line speed and aggressiveness weighed heavily in the Packers leading the NFL in punt coverage (4.2 yards per return), according to the Dallas Morning News’ special-teams rankings.

He finished with the second-most coverage tackles (15) on the team, but also was overzealous and undisciplined at times in finishing with five penalties between special teams and offense. Every opportunity the 6-foot-3, 219-pound receiver was given to touch the football was due to injury.

He picked up where Montgomery left off on kickoff returns. His 29 yards per return were fourth-most among returners with at least 10 attempts. Along with Montgomery, Janis helped elevate Green Bay from 30th in the category to 11th (24.5 yards per return).

Offensively, he was entrenched as the No. 5 receiver after being usurped by both Montgomery and Abbrederis on the depth chart. Coaches say his limited playing time (129 offensive snaps in 16 regular-season games) was due to his difficulty in adjusting to the Packers’ offense, but he capitalized on both instances when he received extended playing time.

Janis had two catches for 79 yards against San Diego and seven catches for 145 yards and two touchdowns in the divisional playoff game against Arizona, including his 41-yard Hail Mary grab at the end of regulation. Whatever his limitations, it’s inexcusable how an offense crying out for a big-bodied playmaker failed to get Janis a few touches here and there.

The poster child for the Packers’ need for a full-time receivers coach.

Grade: C-plus.

Read the whole article and series here:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...26/packers-receivers-open-criticism/79354152/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

And they may have been wrong, too. It's been known to happen. Coaching and experience can help a player to reach his potential, especially when he's bigger, faster and more powerful to begin with.

IMHO, Adams has not played up to his draft status and Janis has exceeded his, even if his (Janis) limited receiving success did not count which, of course, it should. Adams had two good receiving games in 2014 and one in 2015 with both Jordy and Cobb drawing a fair amount of attention away from him. He doesn't even play STs.

Janis has had two good receiving games in 2015. Plus, he's been an impactful player on STs as both a gunner and a returner. Did scouts even weigh-in on his STs abilities before the draft? Not that I'm aware. Yet his athleticism has to be the key to his success. It sure wasn't experience, although he's gaining that now. That return on investment can't be ignored.

Considering the disparate sample sizes for both players as WRs, I have no doubts who has made the most of his opportunities, so far, and who has not.

Consider this excerpt from a series by the GBPG:

Jeff Janis

After redshirting his rookie season, Janis emerged as a standout on special teams. His straight-line speed and aggressiveness weighed heavily in the Packers leading the NFL in punt coverage (4.2 yards per return), according to the Dallas Morning News’ special-teams rankings.

He finished with the second-most coverage tackles (15) on the team, but also was overzealous and undisciplined at times in finishing with five penalties between special teams and offense. Every opportunity the 6-foot-3, 219-pound receiver was given to touch the football was due to injury.

He picked up where Montgomery left off on kickoff returns. His 29 yards per return were fourth-most among returners with at least 10 attempts. Along with Montgomery, Janis helped elevate Green Bay from 30th in the category to 11th (24.5 yards per return).

Offensively, he was entrenched as the No. 5 receiver after being usurped by both Montgomery and Abbrederis on the depth chart. Coaches say his limited playing time (129 offensive snaps in 16 regular-season games) was due to his difficulty in adjusting to the Packers’ offense, but he capitalized on both instances when he received extended playing time.

Janis had two catches for 79 yards against San Diego and seven catches for 145 yards and two touchdowns in the divisional playoff game against Arizona, including his 41-yard Hail Mary grab at the end of regulation. Whatever his limitations, it’s inexcusable how an offense crying out for a big-bodied playmaker failed to get Janis a few touches here and there.

The poster child for the Packers’ need for a full-time receivers coach.

Grade: C-plus.

Read the whole article and series here:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...26/packers-receivers-open-criticism/79354152/

There's no doubt Adams hasn't lived up to his draft status so far but I'm still hopeful he turns into a solid receiver for the Packers when healthy.

Janis has all the physical attributes teams want in an outside receiver but there are several reasons (ones that have been mentioned on this forum numerous times, so I won't repeat them) he played college football at Saginaw Valley State and so far has only seen limited action with the Packers.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt Adams hasn't lived up to his draft status so far but I'm still hopeful he turns into a solid receiver for the Packers when healthy.

Janis has all the physical attributes teams want in an outside receiver but there are several reasons (ones that have been mentioned on this forum numerous times, so I won't repeat them) he played college football at Saginaw Valley State and so far has only seen limited action with the Packers.

He could even be more than that. At the level of measurables he's very comparable to Dwayne Bowe both in height speed size and body control. We'll have to see how he bounces back from an off year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I watched the highlights of his best plays, and he looked like a 6th rounder at best.
Aint hindsight great? IMO the 6th round comment is ridiculous, but I look forward to this kind of "insight" before the upcoming draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

He could even be more than that. At the level of measurables he's very comparable to Dwayne Bowe both in height speed size and body control. We'll have to see how he bounces back from an off year.

I don't care that much about measureables. Bowe was way more effective during his first two years in the league though having 156 receptions for 2,017 yards and 12 TDs with Brady Croyle, Damon Huard and Tyler Thigpen throwing him the ball.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care that much about measureables. Bowe was way more effective during his first two years in the league though having 156 receptions for 2,017 yards and 12 TDs with Brady Croyle, Damon Huard and Tyler Thigpen throwing him the ball.

But is that a physical matter, or mental issue? Hence the remark about the bounce back.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But is that a physical matter, or mental issue? Hence the remark about the bounce back.

A very sobering comparison, especially the QB part.

I don't know about the reasons behind it but maybe he simply lacks the talent as well.

I am certain it is because Bowe was THE number one receiver on KC both years. Look at the bums they had. You won't even recognize the other receivers not playing TE. Our youngsters we are talking about haven't been the top gun, at least until injuries took out every one else.

I am an old dude, and before high school aged players started having 7-7 offensive camps and all, it was very unusual for a receiver or quarterback to get much playing time before his third year. That has changed. Now more WR's and qb's are prepared to play and make an impact almost immediately. But not all are ready to do so. Many still have a huge adjustment going from college to the pros. So maybe we should let the young guys get through another training camp and preseason before we decide which are bums and which are future HOF'ers.

And let's not forget, losing Jordy pushed every receiver up at lest one spot on the pecking order. Not all were prepared for the change. Cobb benefits from having Jordy on the field. Jones, Adams, Abby, Janis all would benefit from Jordy being on the field. So any having a slump could very well be because now they get a defender better than they would have to go against so Nelson playing.

You know the saying. Relax. Let everything happen before the season and let's see who improves, who matures and who develops and then let's see what shakes out. I am looking forward to next season.

Staff online

Latest posts