Abbrederis & Jannis are better than Jones & Adams.

D

Deleted member 6794

True for some teams, but not all. I also see those terms being used with our #3 on down and even to some extent with Cobb. Talk of him being over paid and underperforming.

There aren't a look of receivers in the league fourth or fifth on a team's depth chart being a lock to make a team.

I agree the Packers have a question mark on who will be their #3 WR which is kind of concerning. Cobb, while being overpaid based on last year's performance, will for sure continue to get the majority of the snap as the team's slot receiver though.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some Janis advocates might point to the Hail Mary, even if it was a borderline catch. Lack of control could have gone either way.

I'm going to debate this point simply because I disagree. I never saw a single angle that even showed the ball hitting the ground. There was nothing they had on tape even with the late tap to overturn that call.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still worried about our WR situation on the whole. If Jordy comes back and doesn't miss a beat, it'll help tons. And hopefully Cook's presence opens the middle of the field for Cobb and Ty.

And Adams needs to step up. This is his make or break season, for a fact. If he stinks it up in preseason, his roster spot on this team is not guaranteed. In fact, I wont be shocked if he gets outright cut if he comes back in lollygagging on his routes like he did last year.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an entire thread consisting of people overthinking a situation. Jordy, Cobb, Montgomery and Adams are ALL LOCKS. Adams is not getting cut. It's not even worth discussing. It just isnt.

Assuming nobody goes down in the preseason the final 2 spots will be fought over by Janis, Abby and Davis. This is where the discussion starts. Janis might have the inside track for one of the spots due to his work as a gunner but that'll disappear REALLY QUICKLY if he hasn't made any progress as a receiver and both Abby and Davis look better than him in practice. Alot also depends whether they think they'll be able to stash Davis on the PS also.

But the discussion is between those 3 guys. Anyone who thinks Adams stands a real chance of being cut needs to just stop and take a step back.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree, mostly, but if Adams picks up where he was a lot of last season, he could be on his way out. That said, I don't believe that was the real Adams we saw. I think the Adams we are going to get going forward is a guy that will be above all 3 of those guys mentioned on any depth chart.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But the discussion is between those 3 guys. Anyone who thinks Adams stands a real chance of being cut needs to just stop and take a step back.

I get people being worried about Adams based on most of last years body of work. But if that worries you, you may as well worry about every other receiver playing last year, some O-lineman and....gulp.....AR himself LOL. Montgomery is more of a lock, based on what he showed, his injury and this being only his second year. I wouldn't say Adams is a lock, but it would take a pretty disastrous, uninspired camp and preseason from him, for the coaches to throw in the towel. The job is his to lose. For the others (Abby, Janis, Davis, UDFA's), the job is for them to win.

D

Deleted member 6794

I get people being worried about Adams based on most of last years body of work. But if that worries you, you may as well worry about every other receiver playing last year, some O-lineman and....gulp.....AR himself LOL. Montgomery is more of a lock, based on what he showed, his injury and this being only his second year. I wouldn't say Adams is a lock, but it would take a pretty disastrous, uninspired camp and preseason from him, for the coaches to throw in the towel. The job is his to lose. For the others (Abby, Janis, Davis, UDFA's), the job is for them to win.

After Rodgers and McCarthy praised Adams multiple times for his work ethic and performance during last year's offseason I have a hard time believing he will have an uninspired camp.

I fully expect him to be a lock to make the team but with that being said if he continues to struggle during the regular season the Packers could go in a different direction in 2017.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After Rodgers and McCarthy praised Adams multiple times for his work ethic and performance during last year's offseason I have a hard time believing he will have an uninspired camp.

I fully expect him to be a lock to make the team but with that being said if he continues to struggle during the regular season the Packers could go in a different direction in 2017.

Well, you wouldn't have thought he'd be as awful as he was last year after being offseason MVP, but he was.

I agree with you and Ryder on most but I totally disagree on this, and several Packer writers have expressed the same sentiment.

Davante Adams is NOT a lock. He could easily be passed by 5 on the depth chart and be out, and it would not be that big of a surprise. I say he's got the inside track for the #3, but it's not a lock. To say otherwise understates how dreadfully awful he was last year despite receiving a ridiculous amount of targets.

People seem to see Adams as a special kind of talent that we can't just give up on after 2 years. I don't really see it. He's not fast. He doesn't separate well. He has tiny hands.

All that said, I hope he turns a corner and has a great year, but there's too much young WR quality on this roster right now to call his spot a foregone conclusion.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With 6 receiver spots? He's at least that kind of talent. It shouldn't even need to be said.

#1, who says we're keeping 6?

#2, plenty of talented players have been final cuts before. There are times talent doesn't translate to production, whether it be for mental reasons or whatever else.

I'd argue Janis is just as talented, just far less polished.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm going to debate this point simply because I disagree. I never saw a single angle that even showed the ball hitting the ground.
See the replay at 7:06 in this tape. You may not have seen it hitting the ground, but you don't know that it didn't. And if it did, I would not judge this control to the ground.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

#1, who says we're keeping 6?
Make it 5 then. It makes no difference to me. Your default position at this juncture is it will be 6 and they will keep both Adams and Janis. It will be up to the rookie to beat out Abbrederis.

Injuries, as always, can change that equation. Hey, Montogomery had a foot injury and he's not much of a deep threat...his ball tracking going back to the college tape is poor. If he's limping around he could be questionable if anybody wants to play it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

[QUOTE="adambr2, post: 664617, member: 7277] There are times talent doesn't translate to production.[/QUOTE]
That's an odd definition of "talent".

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See the replay at 7:06 in this tape. You may not have seen it hitting the ground, but you don't know that it didn't. And if it did, I would not judge this control to the ground.

But I don't need to know that it didn't hit the ground. Since the ruling was a catch we need to know that it did hit the ground to overturn it, which no replay actually shows.

I'll concede that if it has been ruled the other way there may not have been enough there to overturn it and give it to him, but there was nothing from the official's vantage point that he could have conclusively seen to know that it hit the ground and rule it incomplete - and he didn't.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But I don't need to know that it didn't hit the ground. Since the ruling was a catch we need to know that it did hit the ground to overturn it, which no replay actually shows.

I'll concede that if it has been ruled the other way there may not have been enough there to overturn it and give it to him, but there was nothing from the official's vantage point that he could have conclusively seen to know that it hit the ground and rule it incomplete - and he didn't.

H

HardRightEdge

Here's what I said: "Lack of control could have gone either way." So what are you debating?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what I said: "Lack of control could have gone either way." So what are you debating?

I thought I said in my original response, that I disagreed that it could have gone either way.

It doesn't matter how many bobbles, juggles, and punch outs happen during the course of the play. If the ball never hit the ground from the time it left Rodgers' hand to when the official signaled touchdown, it's not incomplete.

If you watch the replay you posted again, the back judge was in good position to have a good look at the play. If he would have seen the ball hit the ground, he would have called it incomplete.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess in general I just don't understand downplaying the catch just because it's Janis.

The guy went up on a desperation play, timed his jump perfectly, and stole the ball between two defenders, one being one of the best corners in football. It was correctly called a catch and correctly upheld on review.

Janis made a hell of a play. I really don't understand downplaying it and saying, 'Well, it was borderline. ' He actually did well to protect the football and not (at least not apparently) let the ball hit the ground throughout the process DESPITE the punch out.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an entire thread consisting of people overthinking a situation. Jordy, Cobb, Montgomery and Adams are ALL LOCKS. Adams is not getting cut. It's not even worth discussing. It just isnt.

Assuming nobody goes down in the preseason the final 2 spots will be fought over by Janis, Abby and Davis. This is where the discussion starts. Janis might have the inside track for one of the spots due to his work as a gunner

I agree with this. Janis isn't going anywhere if for no other reason than for special teams. They kept Brett Swain for special teams and he wasn't ever as good of a WR as Janis is already. I don't see Abby beating out Davis unless Davis really looks bad in camp. His downsides are that he's slim and weak, and those are Abby's weaknesses too. Abby can run really good routes while Davis supposedly can't, but it might be that Davis has better hands and can really, really run. If Davis can play outside at all I think Abby is gone.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Nelson
2. Cobb
3. Montgomery - Loved what he brought to the table before injury
4. Adam's - Not sold on him yet but ankle injuries are awful for wrs so I think he bounces back some
5. Janis (due to special teams) I will believe in him more when he starts catching passes on more than broken plays.
6. Davis - Has the speed we lack and can play outside
7. Abby - really like the guy but we have a couple other guys better suited for thebslot

I think they keep the top 6. The issue is the 2nd guy to an outside. Montgomery showed more in his limited time last year but many say he can't play outside well. If that is true it is between Adams, Janis, and Davis. Not the most inspiring group but I think Adam's wins because Davis is a rookie and Janis simply hasn't shown a grasp of route running. If Janis does that they he will over take Adams. Still not sure I have ever seen a player more overrated by this fan base than Janis.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, you wouldn't have thought he'd be as awful as he was last year after being offseason MVP, but he was.

I agree with you and Ryder on most but I totally disagree on this, and several Packer writers have expressed the same sentiment.

Davante Adams is NOT a lock. He could easily be passed by 5 on the depth chart and be out, and it would not be that big of a surprise. I say he's got the inside track for the #3, but it's not a lock. To say otherwise understates how dreadfully awful he was last year despite receiving a ridiculous amount of targets.

People seem to see Adams as a special kind of talent that we can't just give up on after 2 years. I don't really see it. He's not fast. He doesn't separate well. He has tiny hands.

All that said, I hope he turns a corner and has a great year, but there's too much young WR quality on this roster right now to call his spot a foregone conclusion.

Don't get me wrong, I was extremely disappointed by Adams performance last season as well.

McCarthy and Rodgers praising him all offseason long with the quarterback still throwing his way a lot even with him struggling tells me the leaders of the offense have a lot of faith in Adams.

That results in me believing talent and focus isn't an issue with him but there was something else wrong last season, most likely injury related.

If Davis can play outside at all I think Abby is gone.

Davis will most likely only serve as a deep threat early in his career but don't wxpect him to be a crisp route runner on the perimeter.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I was extremely disappointed by Adams performance last season as well.

McCarthy and Rodgers praising him all offseason long with the quarterback still throwing his way a lot even with him struggling tells me the leaders of the offense have a lot of faith in Adams.

That results in me believing talent and focus isn't an issue with him but there was something else wrong last season, most likely injury related.

Davis will most likely only serve as a deep threat early in his career but don't wxpect him to be a crisp route runner on the perimeter.

I'm probably just splitting hairs on the definition of what a real chance is that Adams gets cut, since I too think his odds are at least as good as anyone else not named Nelson or Cobb.

There were times I became so frustrated with Adams last year that I wouldn't have cared if he never wore a Packer uniform again. But Nelson probably has 2 years left as a #1 receiver, so it's important now to be patient with our young WRs who could eventually move up into a bigger role.

Hopefully he can stay healthy and resemble the guy we started to see in Washington a few months ago.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm probably just splitting hairs on the definition of what a real chance is that Adams gets cut, since I too think his odds are at least as good as anyone else not named Nelson or Cobb.

I'm convinced that Adams and Montgomery have a way better chance to make the roster as anyone not named Nelson or Cobb.

Members online

Latest posts