A primer on Brett Favre for all Packers' fans.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Again I will ask: What good do OTAs do for #4???????

What more proof does a team need that #4 will give them 110% all the time, every time???????

So MM thinks VOLUNTARY team events should be mandatory. Big deal. They're NOT.

Was MM creating an atmosphere in which he knew it would cause a rift between a HOF QB & the younger guys who need OTAs a whole lot more than the proven leader? I think so. Why? Only MM can answer that one for certain & my speculation isn't worth a darn but here it is:

#4 was not conducive to the growth of the suddenly youngest team in the league.

He had his private locker. Why? 'Cause he's a prima donna? No. Because the media couldn't stay away from him. Ever watch Packers.com's video interviews of players on their website? It's a free-for-all. Imagine what the scene was at #4's locker if he had one next to Mason Crosby. Make sense now?

He had a weekly press conference to satisfy the news hounds every Wed. for about an hour in the main media room.

MM didn't think that whole private locker thing was sending the right message to the younger guys that TT was filling the roster with so he did what he thought was best for the entire team. Right or wrong it caused tension between a player whom many believed deserved better & the rest of the team.

MM winked his way through "these are voluntary activities" announcements all the while knowing it was a pain in the keester for the father of two who'd missed a lot of his daughters' growing up to play football for the Green Bay Packers. And now after 16 seasons they're wanting more off-season time than ever from #4 just to set a better example for the youngest team in the league?

How many of you would have a much different outlook on your own employer in a similar situation? And please leave the $$$ out of this because it's beside the point. No amount of $$$ can make up for lost time with your children.

The otas for what ever reason was something MM wanted...I agree that Brett didn't have to prove anything by attending them...But MM was trying to create a TEAM concept and wanted everyone there..That includes Chuck and others that missed time..

Brett CHOOSE to be a NFL player and ALL that comes with it..Missing kids growing up, their school functions and etc...So if he was missing his kids than maybe he should have just retired for that reason alone.

He said if he could just play Sundays he would have NEVER retired..I am sure ALL players feel that way...But trouble is it takes lot of time and practice...

2007 I think he dedicated so much time to football, hiring a personal trainier, studying film after practice and at home and he admitted he done more of that than ever...Look what happened, one of his best yars ever..

We all know why he had a private locker, I didn't see anyone here saying he was a prima donna why is it that people tend to over exaggerate or put words into others mouths?

Wednesdays media news hounds were a requirement from the NFL..

And wanting more? Research the fact that MM was going to lighten the load on Brett during the week so it wouldn't be so ******* him

I am not sure if Mike demanded Brett to be there at otas, it was just me guessing that could have been part of a team concept he was trying to bring..Maybe that was their way of forcing him out,I don't know..but when told they needed answers Brett should have said,let me wait till May instead of changing his mind all the time

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are paid to to a job. His job was to be QB of the Packers. Part of that job is to be part of a team. Teams work together and practice together. It's nonsensical, IMO, to try to conduct team activities without your starting QB and team leader.

If you're not willing to participate in offseason activities then you're not committing to the team on a full-time basis. I really can't even fathom how a person could argue that with a straight face.

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again I will ask: What good do OTAs do for #4???????

Last year, I coached a team of 11 year olds. There were several good players on the team but one guy was exceptional.....I called him OJ. Super-fast and elusive with good football instincts.

But I couldn't get him to come to practice. His Dad worked odd hours and they lived kind of far away from our practice site. His Dad even said "He knows the plays...why does he need to come to practice?"

Because the QB needed to practice pitching the ball to HIM. Because the blockers needed to learn how to block for HIM. Because we needed HIM when we did pass plays to get our timing down.

Practice isn't for the benefit of the individual...it's for the benefit of the team and not participating because it "won't do any good for you" is the ultimate in selfishness and the exact opposite of being a team player.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year, I coached a team of 11 year olds. There were several good players on the team but one guy was exceptional.....I called him OJ. Super-fast and elusive with good football instincts.

But I couldn't get him to come to practice. His Dad worked odd hours and they lived kind of far away from our practice site. His Dad even said "He knows the plays...why does he need to come to practice?"

Because the QB needed to practice pitching the ball to HIM. Because the blockers needed to learn how to block for HIM. Because we needed HIM when we did pass plays to get our timing down.

Practice isn't for the benefit of the individual...it's for the benefit of the team and not participating because it "won't do any good for you" is the ultimate in selfishness and the exact opposite of being a team player.

Question is why go all out for your employer and kill yourself when its obvious that the team was being built for the post Favre era when it wasn't necessary? If the team is going to demand 110% out of its franchise player, then it owes that player the chance to win while that player has a few good years left. The team was not managed well since wolf and holmgren left and that has to be frustrating for any player that wants to win. Think about all the years of his career that were flushed due to poor coaching and personel decisions.

If any of you feel that you are being shafted by your employer after years of dedicated service, are you still going to give it your all and do whats best for the co?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If any of you feel that you are being shafted by your employer after years of dedicated service, are you still going to give it your all and do whats best for the co?
So Favre felt like he didn't had to work his *** off, if he thought the coaches and GMs weren't doing what HE thought it was the best for the team, even if it's not his job to evaluate their decision, and even if he has no preparation to evaluate such decisions? Well, then it was OK, I guess...

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Favre felt like he didn't had to work his *** off, if he thought the coaches and GMs weren't doing what HE thought it was the best for the team, even if it's not his job to evaluate their decision, and even if he has no preparation to evaluate such decisions? Well, then it was OK, I guess...

Lets be honost here. TT style is to build throught the draft. If this system works, it is going to take time for the team to become elite again. If you are Favre knowning that the window is closing and you see the gm building a team that wont be ready until after you are gone, wouldn't you be at odds and a little less cooperative? I think its human nature to react a certain way when you feel wronged. I don't think any athlete in Favre's position would be happy in that circumstance. Everyone of these guys would like to go out on a high note.

All I ask is to look at it from a different point of view and ask yourself how you(not you in particular) would feel and react at your place of employment if felt you were getting screwed over.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets be honost here. TT style is to build throught the draft. If this system works, it is going to take time for the team to become elite again. If you are Favre knowning that the window is closing and you see the gm building a team that wont be ready until after you are gone, wouldn't you be at odds and a little less cooperative? I think its human nature to react a certain way when you feel wronged. I don't think any athlete in Favre's position would be happy in that circumstance. Everyone of these guys would like to go out on a high note.

All I ask is to look at it from a different point of view and ask yourself how you(not you in particular) would feel and react at your place of employment if felt you were getting screwed over.
But I'm saying that, human nature or not, when you act like this you're putting yourself above the team.

I can't say precisely how I would act, because I haven't been told that I was a god for 16 years, and I haven't been given permission to act however I pleased (Sherman years).

However, being as I am now, the Green Bay Packers is my team, and Pro Football is not my way of living, I would absolutely question their decisions if I thought they were wrong, and would try my best to present the situation to them, but I would NEVER do anything that I thought could hurt the team. I would work my *** off, I would attend every OTA and Minicamp and try, as a veterna, to teach the young guys so they could help as soon as possible this team to win, because I love the Packers.

So, I've said it before, but to me there are 2 points.

1) Favre acted exactly like you said, and is not a traitor by any means, because it is his job, and nothing more. But the expectations some of us had of him, that he would ultimately put the team's needs above his were shattered, because he was never a real fan of the packers. He just had a liking for the team he played all this years, but no real sense of loyalty towards the franchise.

2) He ended up being a fan at heart, but when he thought the people that were running the organization weren't doing what he thought was the best for the team, he turned his back on the team, instead of trying to help it, thus betraying his team.

It comes down to a clash of generations and personalitis. Bedard made a very nice piece, interviewing past players to question how they thought about this whole deal. Most of the older guys (Lombardi era) said Favre was wrong, and that they would never join the Vikings. Most of the recent guys (Holmgren era) said it was a business, and that if that was his opportunity, Favre should play for them. It can't be worse - JSOnline

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd be angry and I'd probably say and do some things that I'd regret later.

Now I'm going to ask you to look at it from a different point of view.

You're an employer, and you have an employee who has worked for the company for a long time and done a lot of good things for it. But for the last several years he's dropped some pretty strong hints at retiring so you've been grooming his replacement and you've invested a lot of time and money in it.

Additionally, this valued employee has done a pretty poor job on some really big projects recently and after he kind of botched it up on his last project, he actually retired. And you put his replacement in the office and he's been doing a real good job and you feel very confident in his abilities.

Then he said he wanted to come back and you told him that he couldn't have his old job back.

Have you, the boss, really screwed anybody over? Have you been looking at the best interests of the business, or should you have put the needs of this former employee's ego ahead of what you think is best for the business?

So then, he tried to sign on with your competition but you invoked the no compete clause in his contract so he couldn't so instead he went out and bad-mouthed you to everyone who would listen and actively tried to sabotage you.

How would you, as a boss, feel about that? I answered your question honestly and I hope you do the same.

Bottomline: Favre may have felt he'd been screwed over, but in truth, he got what he'd been asking for with his years of vacillation and reluctance to committ.

JeffQuery

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

You're an employer, and you have an employee who has worked for the company for a long time and done a lot of good things for it. But for the last several years he's dropped some pretty strong hints at retiring so you've been grooming his replacement and you've invested a lot of time and money in it.

Additionally, this valued employee has done a pretty poor job on some really big projects recently and after he kind of botched it up on his last project, he actually retired. And you put his replacement in the office and he's been doing a real good job and you feel very confident in his abilities.

Then he said he wanted to come back and you told him that he couldn't have his old job back.

Have you, the boss, really screwed anybody over? Have you been looking at the best interests of the business, or should you have put the needs of this former employee's ego ahead of what you think is best for the business?

So then, he tried to sign on with your competition but you invoked the no compete clause in his contract so he couldn't so instead he went out and bad-mouthed you to everyone who would listen and actively tried to sabotage you.

How would you, as a boss, feel about that? I answered your question honestly and I hope you do the same.

Bottomline: Favre may have felt he'd been screwed over, but in truth, he got what he'd been asking for with his years of vacillation and reluctance to committ.

Yeah?

And Thompson is going to get what he asked for on Monday Night in front of the whole damn country...

Or are you one of those guys that likes his Capitalism rigged, like the prior administration in the WH, and don't really believe in open, competitive, and true competition...is that how you feel, Capt. America, eh?

The reason Teddy boy wanted to get rid of Favre was because of ego, plain and simple.

Now he is going to pay the piper.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The reason Teddy boy wanted to get rid of Favre was because of ego, plain and simple.

Now he is going to pay the piper.

Jeff I asked once this week..But you either dodged it cuz you dont know or cant prove it, or you missed it.. so I am asking again and I am going to pm this to you

GIVE THE REASON FOR THE EGO

Now have you listed to the interview from Wilde on Steve the homer True stating as FACT that Mm wanted Brett gone but Ted wanted him back?

So again I BEG you give me the reasons for Teds "ego" with plain hard facts..

not rumors,not your theory, stuff that can stick to the wall

PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As a former business owner I have been on both sides of the equation. To be perfectly honost I would have the guy in there that would make the business the most money.

If these projects that were screwed up were soley on the one person that might change things a little. But if they involved a group of employees that would weigh heavily on the decision.

But the problem with this analogy is that it assumes no fault on the employers part.

Now anyone can tell that I want TT gone, and no its not just because of Favre. I don't like his philosophy and don't believe that he can get us to the promised land. Favre just tipped the scales for me.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
As a former business owner I have been on both sides of the equation. To be perfectly honost I would have the guy in there that would make the business the most money.

If these projects that were screwed up were soley on the one person that might change things a little. But if they involved a group of employees that would weigh heavily on the decision.

But the problem with this analogy is that it assumes no fault on the employers part.

Now anyone can tell that I want TT gone, and no its not just because of Favre. I don't like his philosophy and don't believe that he can get us to the promised land. Favre just tipped the scales for me.

The guy that makes the most money was Brett no DOUBT

But it also needs to win

And from things being leaked out or said MM didnt feel Brett gave them the best chance

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about "simple" aspects such as which Packers QB makes Green Bay much more enjoyable to watch and cheer for?

To me, it's a no-brainer - Favre hands down. Rodgers is ok and maybe it is that his personality lacks a certain "something", but I find him terribly boring to watch at times. Also, there are instances where his accuracy is so off, I question where is mind is at.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff, still waiting for your insight onto why Ted has an ego..

I even sent you a pm about it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
"Dwindled down the stretch..?"

I love how you guys leave out the fact that the guy was playing with a torn rotater cuff and torn bicep (Jets).

That myth that he can't last a season will never become reality.

Favre went to 2 new teams and went 8-3 before the injury became really bad, and now 3-0 with Minnesota.

Looks like either this reporter trolls around here or I am not the only one that thinks Brett has had hard times at end of the last few seasons...

Will Vikings QB Brett Favre fade again late in the season? | greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press-Gazette

Each of the past five years, Favre’s numbers have taken a late-season nosedive of varying degrees. As a whole, the drop-off is staggering.

In the first 11 games of the 2004 through 2008 seasons (55 games total), Favre completed 64.8 percent of his passes with 97 touchdown throws, 61 interceptions and an 89.1 passer rating.

In the last five games of those seasons plus three playoff contests (28 total), he completed only 57.9 percent of his passes with 27 touchdowns, 46 interceptions and a meager passer rating of 66.3.

He had a particularly awful outing in his only sub-freezing start with the Jets, throwing two interceptions and a 48.7 passer rating in a 13-3 loss against struggling Seattle.

**and yes reporter does mention his bad arm as a major reason**

During his MVP-caliber 2007 season with the Packers, Favre had two terrible showings in his final four games, throwing two interceptions on a blustery day at Chicago and two more in the frigid NFC championship loss to the New York Giants at Lambeau Field.

But it’s worth noting Favre’s “magic” hasn’t translated into consecutive playoff wins since 1997.

“As the weather starts to deteriorate, he’s going to be playing indoors, and that’s going to allow him to throw the ball in premier conditions,” Gruden said. “But he is playing within himself. He realizes he’s got arguably the best back in all of football in Peterson, a great defense.”

It might not be clear until January whether Favre has enough miracles left to avoid another late-season letdown — for himself and his new adopted home.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lemme guess D. Levens wont respond to these stats since yaknow they're 100 percent factual.

FanOfTheGame

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m neither a Favre lover nor a Favre hater, but all this talk about Favre missing OTAs and his expectations of having things his way just seem to be unfounded. The example of the 11 year old missing practice is misleading. Of course every player, even the best, must attend practice but Favre was not expecting to miss practices. He was missing OTAs (organized team activities) and a few days of mini camp. Favre was not expecting to miss training camp. It’s not uncommon for veterans to miss OTAs and mini camp. In 2006 not only did Favre miss the 2nd mini camp of the off season so did veterans Al Harris, Charles Woodson, William Henderson, KGB, Ahman Green and Chad Clifton. Charles Woodson still does not attend OTAs. I don’t think I ever heard of a player missing or attending OTAs until the media started questioning Favre’s attendance. Criticize Favre for putting the team in a difficult situation. Criticize Favre for comments he probably should not have made. Criticize Favre for how he handled the situation. But don’t criticize Favre for missing OTAs and mini camp when it is the norm for veterans in the league.

JeffQuery

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fanofthegame,

Right on. Great post.

But this is "Evil Favre" we're talking about, upon which ALL BLAME shall be placed, hallaleujah.

Sherman is a crap GM and Coach, yet Evil Favre should be a miracle worker and win 3 SB's with said crap talent.

Saint Ted Thompson guts the the team in 2005, but that's no excuse, Evil Favre should be able to take sh*t and make it into Filet Mignon...yes indeedy. Nobody else is to blame but the Evil Favre. He's held to a different standard by the Bumpkin fans of the Green Bay Packers. And even Journalists are spreading the myths of Evil Favre.

He missed OTA's....horror of horrors..he is Son of Beezlebub, and we must salt the hallowed ground of Lambeau where his evil footsteps trod....

He is so EVIL, that when his hallowed Packer team and coach laid down like dogs in the NFC Championship game against the Giants, evil Favre should have risen and made tackles, and caught his own passes, and blocked for his RB's, and covered Plaxico Burress, etc. etc. etc...but the evil one went through with his plan to sink the Holy Packers so that he could traded to the Jets, and ultimately to the Vikings, to finally fulfill his evil pact that he made with the Devil himself.

Hallelujah..hallelujah...hallelujah...
'

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Fanofthegame,

Right on. Great post.

But this is "Evil Favre" we're talking about, upon which ALL BLAME shall be placed, hallaleujah.

Sherman is a crap GM and Coach, yet Evil Favre should be a miracle worker and win 3 SB's with said crap talent.

Saint Ted Thompson guts the the team in 2005, but that's no excuse, Evil Favre should be able to take sh*t and make it into Filet Mignon...yes indeedy. Nobody else is to blame but the Evil Favre. He's held to a different standard by the Bumpkin fans of the Green Bay Packers. And even Journalists are spreading the myths of Evil Favre.

He missed OTA's....horror of horrors..he is Son of Beezlebub, and we must salt the hallowed ground of Lambeau where his evil footsteps trod....

He is so EVIL, that when his hallowed Packer team and coach laid down like dogs in the NFC Championship game against the Giants, evil Favre should have risen and made tackles, and caught his own passes, and blocked for his RB's, and covered Plaxico Burress, etc. etc. etc...but the evil one went through with his plan to sink the Holy Packers so that he could traded to the Jets, and ultimately to the Vikings, to finally fulfill his evil pact that he made with the Devil himself.

'

No one is saying he is evil..No one is saying he doesnt have the right, in fact I am okay with him missin all he wanted..

Hell I problem would want to skip too..

I love how you guys are so over the top on this...

Every player has to or should have to attend those otas..but its even more magnified because gosh...Brett is the supposed leader of the team and in charge of the offense the one that makes it go....

I love the he should have made the tackles and the coach laid down argument for the loss in the Giants game...

Face it..Brett tossed an int that led to the Giants winning..He is at fault just as much as Harris is ( fyi I blame Harris and the D coaches for that loss more than anyone) Grant sucked worse in that game than he does this year in that game..Although he did force that fumble from Bretts int...So w/o Grant in that game the Packers might not even have scored that FG...

(14:18) 4-B.Favre pass deep left intended for 81-K.Robinson INTERCEPTED by 25-R.McQuarters at NYG 8. 25-R.McQuarters to NYG 19 for 11 yards (25-R.Grant). FUMBLES (25-R.Grant), RECOVERED by GB-65-M.Tauscher at NYG 19. 65-M.Tauscher to NYG 19 for no gain (37-Ja.Butler).

But your such a noodle butt, that you can't even fathom Brett having any blame at all..Yet 1st to blame Rodgers for all that is wrong with every loss..

Tell me Jeff why wont you answer the Ted ego thing?

I bet your buddies from Bretts forum don't have an answer either cuz now that word is getting out Mm wanted Brett gone and not Ted, lot of your biased thoughts about Ted are proving to be wrong

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Fanofthegame,

Right on. Great post.

'

If you want to debate this all lets do it..It can be done with intelligent and healthy words..

but stop with the stupid as sarcasm crap

I am sure your pals on Bretts board love posts like this, but in the "real world" of forums, this crap doesnt sit to well with the majority of people..

I am surprised your not using library to post again..

Are you slipping?

Members online

Latest posts