A primer on Brett Favre for all Packers' fans.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We plucked him from obscurity and made him rich and a superstar.

For 16 years he played for us and we loyally supported and adored him.

Then he quit on us.

Then he disrupted, distracted and divided us.

Now he's betrayed and is against us.

Keep these things in your own mind and teach themto your children.

Fentman

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Then he quit on us.

You sound like he was your former lover. He waffled, for sue, but Thompson should have brought him back. If you didn't want him back, then you can't blame him for playing elsewhere.

Column on Favre here: NFL and Seattle Seahawks - OregonLive.com

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Then he quit on us.

From where I stand, you have absolutely NO idea what you are writing about.

First, "we" is actually Ron Wolf.

Second, Favre didn't "quit" on anybody. He's the antithesis of a quitter. He wanted to play on his terms - he earned the right as a veteran with 17 years of seniority. Ted didn't want Favre to play that way, which is fine. What isn't fine is Ted attempting to Siberia Brett's rear end and black-balling him at every angle - that's chicken crap, ******-like shenanigans. I'm not sure if that comes from Ted's "different" outlook on life or not.

The only people that are disrupted by Favre's departure from Green Bay are those that don't understand the concept of capitalism. I've noticed those that remained in Brett's camp tend to be on the right, whilst those that wanna burn him at the steak for pursuing his dreams float left. It stems from a fundamental refusal to accept how this country has done and does business. Furthermore, why be "loyal" to a sports team whose number one goal is to improve their bottom line? Ted Thompson doesn't care about fans - he cares about winning.

Brett isn't "against" anybody. He chooses to remain gainfully employed. Like 100 percent of employees in America, "who" employs him is of little concern; that he remains employed is the legitimate reason. Why would Brett remain "loyal" to an outfit that was working feverishly behind the scenes to fire him? This makes NO sense. Put yourself in Brett's shoes - not in terms of how much he makes, but in terms of being a highly skilled worker that remains highly productive - what employer in his right mind would want to lose this type of worker??? Also, Brett did retire, but it was only because he felt unwanted by Packers brass. TT could have been more upfront with Favre from the outset and Brett's already admitted he would have had no problem playing for another team. The situation was handled terribly. Let's hope TT learned some people management skills lessons.

The bottom line is that people leave jobs to better their situation every single day. People are also fired every single day. It happens. Get over it. It has nothing to do with loyalty and if you feel it does, you're not thinking reasonably.

paco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Haus. But frankly, as a Packer fan, or a sports fan in general; I've got the right to feel however I want.

Sports gives us a chance to love and hate people for no logical reason whatsoever. Sure I hate Favre now because he's a Viking and I think he should have stayed retired and stayed a god in our eyes. But I see the other side as well, but choose not to argue it. It's my right as a Packer fan. Of course it's anyone else's right to blame TT for everything including global warming, the price of gas, and why Walmart is going to take over the world.

It's all illogical and completely pointless. But that's what makes it fun. Favre can do whatever he wants. I don't give a rats *** about him anymore. He isn't a Packer.

I think too many people get wrapped up in the whole business of football and forget that it is a game and it is for our entertainment. Let Favre, TT and everyone else deal with that. Just have fun watching the sparks fly.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Watch it Paco... you can blame TT for gas prices and global warming, but Wal-Mart is Acting on its own accord!

paco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch it Paco... you can blame TT for gas prices and global warming, but Wal-Mart is Acting on its own accord!

I want proof! Didn't you see TT at practice this morning wearing the Walmart shirt? He's Lucifer I tells ya!

Well..... maybe not Lucifer himself. Didn't you also know that 4 is actually the number of the beast?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want proof! Didn't you see TT at practice this morning wearing the Walmart shirt? He's Lucifer I tells ya!

Well..... maybe not Lucifer himself. Didn't you also know that 4 is actually the number of the beast?
4 is the number of death in chinese. Well, sorta... "4" and "death" sound really alike in mandarin, so anything with the numeral 4 is avoided. It's cheaper to get an apartment in the 4th floor, phone numbers with 4 are cheaper, and so on...

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
coincidentally the same thing might be true in America... After searching for a new GB jersey, all the "4" jerseys were on sale...

But I had to go for my man Harris!

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 is the number of death in chinese. Well, sorta... "4" and "death" sound really alike in mandarin, so anything with the numeral 4 is avoided. It's cheaper to get an apartment in the 4th floor, phone numbers with 4 are cheaper, and so on...

Hmmm good to know as I want to make a little business trip to China next spring.

On a lighter note for several years "4" has been a sign of death for many opposing teams.:)

MARCOPO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't believe the ignorance of these Farve lovers, right or wrong. ALMOST as idiotic as being a Farve hater. "We" is not Wolfe, it is the Packers as an organization owned by the people. Second, anyone who believes TT did the wrong thing has NO experience running a business. Clearly, Farve (the tail) wanted to wag the dog (Packers). No responsible could allow that to happen. The writer said Farve "earned" the right to do it (?) on his terms. El Toro PU PU Maximus. He was given a chance, he refused, and he engineered his exodus to Mn. In so doing he lied, mislead and was petulant in the process. As a football player, he is great. As a hero, he failed.

FanOfTheGame

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Then he quit on us.

If these are the things you are teaching your children, good luck to your children. Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll stick to teaching my children important lessons. And if they should ever ask what happened with Favre I'll give them both sides of the story and let them decide for themselves. I prefer that my children be independent thinkers.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't believe the ignorance of these Farve lovers, right or wrong. ALMOST as idiotic as being a Farve hater. "We" is not Wolfe, it is the Packers as an organization owned by the people. Second, anyone who believes TT did the wrong thing has NO experience running a business. Clearly, Farve (the tail) wanted to wag the dog (Packers). No responsible could allow that to happen. The writer said Farve "earned" the right to do it (?) on his terms. El Toro PU PU Maximus. He was given a chance, he refused, and he engineered his exodus to Mn. In so doing he lied, mislead and was petulant in the process. As a football player, he is great. As a hero, he failed.

It's good to that we have a poster who was a fly on the wall and knew every conversation that went on. Can't imagine why he would be mad at TT for building a team to win after he was gone.

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprisingly, Hauschild, you've actually made some very astute observations here. But I've bolded the points where I think you've erred and corrected them below.
From where I stand, you have absolutely NO idea what you are writing about.

First, "we" is actually Ron Wolf.

Second, Favre didn't "quit" on anybody. He's the antithesis of a quitter. He wanted to play on his terms - he earned the right as a veteran with 17 years of seniority. Ted didn't want Favre to play that way, which is fine. What isn't fine is Ted attempting to Siberia Brett's rear end and black-balling him at every angle - that's chicken crap, ******-like shenanigans. I'm not sure if that comes from Ted's "different" outlook on life or not.

The only people that are disrupted by Favre's departure from Green Bay are those that don't understand the concept of capitalism. I've noticed those that remained in Brett's camp tend to be on the right, whilst those that wanna burn him at the steak for pursuing his dreams float left. It stems from a fundamental refusal to accept how this country has done and does business. Furthermore, why be "loyal" to a sports team whose number one goal is to improve their bottom line? Ted Thompson doesn't care about fans - he cares about winning.

Brett isn't "against" anybody. He chooses to remain gainfully employed. Like 100 percent of employees in America, "who" employs him is of little concern; that he remains employed is the legitimate reason. Why would Brett remain "loyal" to an outfit that was working feverishly behind the scenes to fire him? This makes NO sense. Put yourself in Brett's shoes - not in terms of how much he makes, but in terms of being a highly skilled worker that remains highly productive - what employer in his right mind would want to lose this type of worker??? Also, Brett did retire, but it was only because he felt unwanted by Packers brass. TT could have been more upfront with Favre from the outset and Brett's already admitted he would have had no problem playing for another team. The situation was handled terribly. Let's hope TT learned some people management skills lessons.

The bottom line is that people leave jobs to better their situation every single day. People are also fired every single day. It happens. Get over it. It has nothing to do with loyalty and if you feel it does, you're not thinking reasonably.

OK.

#1. Favre actually did quit. It's called retirement, and it happened on March 4, 2008. What Favre wanted was to skip all the tedious offseason activities....you know, the ones which made 2007 such a successful season....and just show up in time for the exhibition season, like he did with Minnesota this year. You may think he "earned" that by being a vet; IMO, the Packers deserve a full-time QB who can commit to the team and nobody "earns" the right to be a part-time professional QB.

And as far as what Thompson did, he protected the interests of the Packers and that's his job. Why would you trade him to a division rival when you could trade him out of conference? That would just be stupid. And the rhetoric that you employed is shameful and would only be uttered by a guy who wants Favre to beat the Packers because he is a Favre fan masquerading as a Packer fan. And don't deny it or I'll post the link to where you said it.

#2 I understand capitalism pretty well, as my 401K could attest. And politically, I'm a conservative. My disagreement with your statement is that I think it's disingenuous in the extreme to contend that this was "just business." It's not.

#3 Brett Favre has told too many people in too many settings of his desire to "stick it" to the Packers, and he tried unsuccessfully to get his media allies to run defamatory stories about Thompson. Too many of Favre's kin have stepped up to the mike and talked crap about how Favre feels about Thompson. Saying that he isn't "against" anybody is just wishful thinking on your part that ignores FACTS that you don't want to acknowledge.

#4 Brett (and I love how you always use his first name, like he's a personal friend or something) didn't retire because he felt unwanted.....he specifically stated that at his retirement (unless, of course, he was lying through his tears....a distinct possibility, considering how untruthful he's been). He retired because he didn't want to participate in the drudgery of offseason activities. Once the offseason was over, he was ready to play and came to Green Bay waiting to get his job back. If he felt unwanted in March, then why did he suddenly feel wanted in July after he'd been told repeatedly that he couldn't be our starting QB any longer?

I get that you adore and idolize him Hauschild, and you're entitled to your own opinion. But you aren't entitled to your own facts.

Favre wouldn't committ to being a full-time QB for the Packers, the Packers deserved that much, they moved on and Favre began his quest for vengeance. That's the story.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
America #3 in your post he is denying now..Said it in his conference call with WI media today

Also is saying Rodgers lied...He said no one called him?

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre wouldn't committ to being a full-time QB for the Packers, the Packers deserved that much, they moved on and Favre began his quest for vengeance. That's the story.

My definition of committment includes everything #4 did for GB since '92, including restructuring his contract twice.

What more could #4 bring to the table during OTAs or minicamp that would improve the team as a whole? How much better does #4 need to be & how does attending OTAs & minicamp achieve that?

Minicamp is NOT for tenured veterans. OTAs are for implementing the upcoming year's playbook. If MM is completely revamping the playbook from a 13-3 year TT needs to re-think why MM is in GB.

My point is a 16-year vet doesn't need the offseason as much as the younger players do. Send him the playbook in the mail & call him a few times a week.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
My definition of committment includes everything #4 did for GB since '92, including restructuring his contract twice.

What more could #4 bring to the table during OTAs or minicamp that would improve the team as a whole? How much better does #4 need to be & how does attending OTAs & minicamp achieve that?

Minicamp is NOT for tenured veterans. OTAs are for implementing the upcoming year's playbook. If MM is completely revamping the playbook from a 13-3 year TT needs to re-think why MM is in GB.

My point is a 16-year vet doesn't need the offseason as much as the younger players do. Send him the playbook in the mail & call him a few times a week.

You are aware that the 1st year Mm was here, Rodgers had to teach Brett the things he learned at those otas.

I also think as he got older he needed those otas and things to get his body ready for the season..The body can't recover as fast and if you look at his past seasons, he has dwindled down the stretch for a lot of those games...I even ponce said that during the season if a game was out of hand one way or another, he should be pulled out to let his body get rest...

Then you have the team concept..I think MM was trying to to the guys to act a team but hard to do it when the main player was not around..

JeffQuery

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You are aware that the 1st year Mm was here, Rodgers had to teach Brett the things he learned at those otas.

I also think as he got older he needed those otas and things to get his body ready for the season..The body can't recover as fast and if you look at his past seasons, he has dwindled down the stretch for a lot of those games...I even ponce said that during the season if a game was out of hand one way or another, he should be pulled out to let his body get rest...

Then you have the team concept..I think MM was trying to to the guys to act a team but hard to do it when the main player was not around..

"Dwindled down the stretch..?"

I love how you guys leave out the fact that the guy was playing with a torn rotater cuff and torn bicep (Jets).

That myth that he can't last a season will never become reality.

Favre went to 2 new teams and went 8-3 before the injury became really bad, and now 3-0 with Minnesota.

Team chemistry excuse is alot of crap too. Get your offensive line and rest of the team (defense) to have chemistry. But MM failed at doing even that.

Placing the blame on Favre for lack of team chemistry is lame. He came back in time and had plenty of chemistry with the WR's once the season started.

This is what I mean by some people just wanting to PUT ALL THE BLAME, on Brett Favre, and overlook the problems with MM and TT.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
"Dwindled down the stretch..?"

I love how you guys leave out the fact that the guy was playing with a torn rotater cuff and torn bicep (Jets).

That myth that he can't last a season will never become reality.

Favre went to 2 new teams and went 8-3 before the injury became really bad, and now 3-0 with Minnesota.

Team chemistry excuse is alot of crap too. Get your offensive line and rest of the team (defense) to have chemistry. But MM failed at doing even that.

Placing the blame on Favre for lack of team chemistry is lame. He came back in time and had plenty of chemistry with the WR's once the season started.

This is what I mean by some people just wanting to PUT ALL THE BLAME, on Brett Favre, and overlook the problems with MM and TT.

Stop with the Favre goggles crap for a minute and read my post.

I never once said he was a problem with chemistry..

I said maybe MM wanted a team concept through out the whole offseason..and since he wasnt there it went against what Mm wanted

Then when your done with that, show me where in the hell I said anything about last year...I didnt....... so STOP putting words in my mouth...that crap flies on Bretts slobbering forum but not here

His play has dwindled for a LOT of those games is what I said

last 4 years, look at last 3 ratings for each season

last year..yes he was hurt...so that is an explanation..but rest of the years??

Like I said he has dwindled in LOT of those games down the stretch

Take away last year cuz we REALLY can't say for sure what he would have done w/o injury
so we are left with 9 games

143 and a 80 were the highest and that was in 07 vs the Lions and the Rams

rest of the 7 games ALL UNDER a 76

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll stick by my assertions until somebody can convince me otherwise, which isn't happening now.

The fact of the matter is that as a 17 year veteran of Favre's stature HAS earned the right to play on "his" terms. Whether it's right or wrong is immaterial to the discussion because it leads people astray from that which is important.

Favre is like Bill Gates was. Anybody really believe Bill Gates was treated like "every other employee" at Microsoft??? Of course not. To believe otherwise is naive. In Brett's case, fans' over-loyalty forces them to think irrationally. Everybody realizes football is a team game and many want to believe every player gets along like choir boys and nobody disagrees and the "boss is always right"....yada yada yada. But the fact is, some players ARE treated differently - be it right or wrong. If you fight that obvious truth, you will make life painful for your organization and fans, as we all can vouch for now.

What I'd really love to know is how much, exactly, Brett Favre means to the Vikings and the NFL in terms of revenue generation. Minny pays Brett 12.5 million in 2009. A day after he signed with Minny, he sold 5 million-worth of jerseys and season and single-game tickets. I have no idea what the total is at this point. Then, one wonders about the revenue Brett's responsible for generating thru TV contracts, endorsements, etc. How many additional people will tune in Monday nite because of that unbelievable 32 yard TD pass last weekend??? I'd venture to guess he generates over 100 million annually.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll stick by my assertions until somebody can convince me otherwise, which isn't happening now.

The fact of the matter is that as a 17 year veteran of Favre's stature HAS earned the right to play on "his" terms. Whether it's right or wrong is immaterial to the discussion because it leads people astray from that which is important.

Favre is like Bill Gates was. Anybody really believe Bill Gates was treated like "every other employee" at Microsoft??? Of course not. To believe otherwise is naive. In Brett's case, fans' over-loyalty forces them to think irrationally. Everybody realizes football is a team game and many want to believe every player gets along like choir boys and nobody disagrees and the "boss is always right"....yada yada yada. But the fact is, some players ARE treated differently - be it right or wrong. If you fight that obvious truth, you will make life painful for your organization and fans, as we all can vouch for now.

What I'd really love to know is how much, exactly, Brett Favre means to the Vikings and the NFL in terms of revenue generation. Minny pays Brett 12.5 million in 2009. A day after he signed with Minny, he sold 5 million-worth of jerseys and season and single-game tickets. I have no idea what the total is at this point. Then, one wonders about the revenue Brett's responsible for generating thru TV contracts, endorsements, etc. How many additional people will tune in Monday nite because of that unbelievable 32 yard TD pass last weekend??? I'd venture to guess he generates over 100 million annually.

Through out all of the last 2 years I never once said he can't or shouldn't play...It is his right to go where he wants, he can go play for the Bears next year for all I care...But that also gives me the right to say he did this all backwards and acted like a spoiled child....

Does he get treated differently? Hell yes, is it right??? Not if you ask me...That is what got us to this point now if you ask me...He is and was allowed to dictate what was going to happen and as a boss, you can't or shouldn't allow an employee do that..

There was a little tid bit from MM press conference last year after that 4 hour meeting with Brett that people never point out..MM said he had questions from his TEAMMATES that they wanted Brett to answer..

What were those questions? Last year a few JETS players said they want him back ONLY if he comes to all the otas and such..To me that that says alot to how teamates feel about eachother and what they want..

As far as money brought in, yup that is a known fact...All the hotels that fill up, the bars, restaurants and etc..For that reason alone he is worth every penny a team pays him..

Nothing can change where we are..Good luck to all

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, that was NOT a good comparison. Last time I checked, Bill Gates OWNED Microsoft. Favre, as far as I know, never OWNED the Packers. Nor he was a GM, nor a HC, not even an assistant coach. That was even worse than the Wall-Mart KMart comparison.

And I can't remember the last time a team won the SB with a player being threated differently than the others. Pittsburgh? Nope. Giants? No. Colts? Payton Manning is the first guy to get to practice and the last to leave. I agree that in some teams players are threated differently, but they don't achieve much sucess...

So that doesn't work. Unless our objective was to just have a winning season, and not to win it all...

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again I will ask: What good do OTAs do for #4???????

What more proof does a team need that #4 will give them 110% all the time, every time???????

So MM thinks VOLUNTARY team events should be mandatory. Big deal. They're NOT.

Was MM creating an atmosphere in which he knew it would cause a rift between a HOF QB & the younger guys who need OTAs a whole lot more than the proven leader? I think so. Why? Only MM can answer that one for certain & my speculation isn't worth a darn but here it is:

#4 was not conducive to the growth of the suddenly youngest team in the league.

He had his private locker. Why? 'Cause he's a prima donna? No. Because the media couldn't stay away from him. Ever watch Packers.com's video interviews of players on their website? It's a free-for-all. Imagine what the scene was at #4's locker if he had one next to Mason Crosby. Make sense now?

He had a weekly press conference to satisfy the news hounds every Wed. for about an hour in the main media room.

MM didn't think that whole private locker thing was sending the right message to the younger guys that TT was filling the roster with so he did what he thought was best for the entire team. Right or wrong it caused tension between a player whom many believed deserved better & the rest of the team.

MM winked his way through "these are voluntary activities" announcements all the while knowing it was a pain in the keester for the father of two who'd missed a lot of his daughters' growing up to play football for the Green Bay Packers. And now after 16 seasons they're wanting more off-season time than ever from #4 just to set a better example for the youngest team in the league?

How many of you would have a much different outlook on your own employer in a similar situation? And please leave the $$$ out of this because it's beside the point. No amount of $$$ can make up for lost time with your children.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts