A Note About the Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HardRightEdge

If you like defense and want to see a balls out, gut check performance, watch a replay of the Detroit / Buffalo game if it's available to you.

Buffalo got down 14-0 early on an Orton pick-6 (Manual's been benched), but their D stepped up into shut down mode and Orton settled in as the game manager. If you can close your eyes on Hennery blowing 2 FGs very badly, it's one heck of an old school battle of top defenses.

I would not want to see the Packers play Buffalo right now. The tide of events would indicate that the Dec. 14 game in Buffalo will mean something for both teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

CheesyCowboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see your point but I'm hoping this was the Lions team starting to set the early stages of imploding.
Glass half empty:
We are still 2nd in the division only due to that bizarre game at Ford Field.
Glass half full:
We are the only NFC North Team to win this week and now have a one game lead and tie breaker advantage over our other friends.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and someone thought it was far fetched that Buffalo will be a tough game

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
If you like defense and want to see a balls out, gut check performance, watch a replay of the Detroit / Buffalo game if it's available to you.

Buffalo got down 14-0 early on an Orton pick-6 (Manual's been benched), but their D stepped up into shut down mode and Orton settled in as the game manager. If you can close your eyes on Hennery blowing 2 FGs very badly, it's one heck of an old school battle of top defenses.

I would not want to see the Packers play Buffalo right now. The tide of events would indicate that the Dec. 14 game in Buffalo will mean something for both teams.
3 missed FG's. Gotta feel bad for the guy, he is going to be raw meat this week if he's even with the club next week. But hey that's football.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weird to think that if they had signed Bironas after his tryout instead of this cat he would still be alive and possibly would have won the game for them.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see your point but I'm hoping this was the Lions team starting to set the early stages of imploding.
Glass half empty:
We are still 2nd in the division only due to that bizarre game at Ford Field.
Glass half full:
We are the only NFC North Team to win this week and now have a one game lead and tie breaker advantage over our other friends.

Look for Detroit to lose at Minnesota next week. On the road, outdoors on natural grass, Bridgewater getting back in the Vikings lineup. It'll be Atlanta again for the Vikes and they can help out the Packers with a win over the Lions. For one temporary week let's all be Vikqueens fans.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

lol...it really gets old. There's always this hot team and this hot QB or this amazing defense. My Lord when will we understand that it takes more than a few games to anoint a team? San Fran...Seattle...Denver...those teams scare me and are proven... Buffalo? nah. Maybe 6 weeks from now but not yet. They haven't done shi$ yet.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

lol...it really gets old. There's always this hot team and this hot QB or this amazing defense. My Lord when will we understand that it takes more than a few games to anoint a team? San Fran...Seattle...Denver...those teams scare me and are proven... Buffalo? nah. Maybe 6 weeks from now but not yet. They haven't done shi$ yet.
Suit yourself, but remember this thread come December.

I know what I'm seeing and it's an outstanding defense that plays with heart (something us Packer fans are not particularly familiar with these past few years), along with good players at all of the offensive skill positions. If Orton continues to game manage like he did this afternoon you're looking at a 10 win team.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Weird to think that if they had signed Bironas after his tryout instead of this cat he would still be alive and possibly would have won the game for them.
That's one way of looking at it.

Here's another:

The team that capitalizes on the opponent's mistakes gets the just deserts. The loser is rewarded with the "what ifs".

So, Detroit overlooked the importance of the place kicker in their planning or just made a bad choice. Buffalo signed one of the best in the 2013 off season and he won the game with 58 yarder. In between, the Bills played tough and smart when it would have been easy to let down.

That's how it works.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Detroit better sign Prater...Henery is another bum. Buffalo does not scare me whatsoever....

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Detroit better sign Prater...Henery is another bum. Buffalo does not scare me whatsoever....
Have you seen them play? "Scared" may not be the right word. "Concerned" might be more apt.

Words like "scared" and "panic" should be reserved for those with large monetary wagers they cannot afford to lose.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kickers are a cutthroat business these days. If you're not very well established, one bad game can and often will cost you your job. The Robbie Goulds and Dan Baileys of the world can survive a 2-3 miss game -- rookies often can't.

Some people point to a struggling kicker not being replaceable because he's a top 50, top 100 of all time, etc. accurate kicker. That's silly. They are basically all top 50 all time in accuracy these days. Its an era of perfection for kickers now. You had better be pretty much automatic inside 40 and be able to hit 50+ with decent success these days. 80% isn't good enough anymore when there are 82% guys on the street ready to take your job.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Suit yourself, but remember this thread come December.

I know what I'm seeing and it's an outstanding defense that plays with heart (something us Packer fans are not particularly familiar with these past few years), along with good players at all of the offensive skill positions. If Orton continues to game manage like he did this afternoon you're looking at a 10 win team.

Fair enough... my main point is, so often NFL fans jump from one extreme to the other. He##, some Packer fans actually started questioning Aaron Rodgers skills after 2 games just because he had a slow start.

Look at the Falcons, every single year we talk about this amazing team and THIS YEAR is "the" year for them. Same this year...NOT!

People will start talking about Dallas again now that they ran off a few. One word. Romo -NOT! (Although the division sucks so they might well win that)

Chicago has tons of weapons for Jay Cutler, just watch...THIS is their year! - NOT!

Detroit....Detroit is the team to beat in our division. (This one is endlessly puked year after year lately) - NOT

As far as Buffalo... I bet a very average Pats team puts them in their place next weekend.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

As far as Buffalo... I bet a very average Pats team puts them in their place next weekend.
You're in luck. NE is favored by 3 points.

NE is not an average team. They're an emotional yo-yo, horrible one week and blowing out CIN the next. This week they happened to have risen to the challenge of the Brady controversy. Next week...emotional let down on the road?

If I were you I'd keep my money in my pocket.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I don't think it's fair to call Henery a bum. His FG %'s were 88.9%, 87.1%, and 82.1% from 2011-2013. Crosby has been in the league 7 years excluding this year and has only broken 80% twice. He was also in the low 60's in 2012.
The Lions cut Henery today.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're in luck. NE is favored by 3 points.

NE is not an average team. They're an emotional yo-yo, horrible one week and blowing out CIN the next. This week they happened to have risen to the challenge of the Brady controversy. Next week...emotional let down on the road?

If I were you I'd keep my money in my pocket.

I don't think they're very special any more. I would call them average. I think. I certainly wouldn't lose sleep if the Pack had to play them. No, I would not expect a let down. Buffalo had their 60 seconds of fans actually remembering they are still in the NFL. Now it's time they get back to what they do best. Lose.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

That didn't take long. I'm glad we didn't get rid of Crosby when he had his bad stretch.
I tried to make the case here for signing Dan Carpenter in the 2013 free agency period. He ended up going to Buffalo from Miami for about $2.5 mil per year for 5 years, a little less cash than we're paying Crosby per year but a little more cap once you figure in Crosby's dead cap if we'd cut him.

Carpenter would have been a good signing. Carpenter's and Crosby's FG% are about on par in 2013-2014. Both get a fair share of long kick opportunities. Carpenter's better in getting touch backs. Crosby has a knack for the on-side kick. Carpenter has had the liability of playing in a dome-less division.

The thing is, keeping Crosby was risky. Carpenter had a 5 year resume of consistently good performance when the Packers had a chance to sign him. Carpenter ranks 12th. all time in FG%, even after being dented a bit by attempting 26 FGs of 40+ yds. in 2010, which might be some kind of record.

I would also note that Crosby's "big leg" seems a bit overstated. I believe that perception is a hangover from his college days at Colorado kicking at altitude. He regularly appears at the bottom of the annual touchback % ranking.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I don't think they're very special any more. I would call them average. I think. I certainly wouldn't lose sleep if the Pack had to play them.
The Packers do play New England...Nov. 30 in Green Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts