1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A Note About the Competition

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by HardRightEdge, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,748
    If you like defense and want to see a balls out, gut check performance, watch a replay of the Detroit / Buffalo game if it's available to you.

Buffalo got down 14-0 early on an Orton pick-6 (Manual's been benched), but their D stepped up into shut down mode and Orton settled in as the game manager. If you can close your eyes on Hennery blowing 2 FGs very badly, it's one heck of an old school battle of top defenses.

I would not want to see the Packers play Buffalo right now. The tide of events would indicate that the Dec. 14 game in Buffalo will mean something for both teams.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  2. CheesyCowboy

CheesyCowboy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I see your point but I'm hoping this was the Lions team starting to set the early stages of imploding.
    Glass half empty:
    We are still 2nd in the division only due to that bizarre game at Ford Field.
    Glass half full:
    We are the only NFC North Team to win this week and now have a one game lead and tie breaker advantage over our other friends.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    and someone thought it was far fetched that Buffalo will be a tough game

4. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    3 missed FG's. Gotta feel bad for the guy, he is going to be raw meat this week if he's even with the club next week. But hey that's football.

5. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Weird to think that if they had signed Bironas after his tryout instead of this cat he would still be alive and possibly would have won the game for them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Packerlifer

Packerlifer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +519

Look for Detroit to lose at Minnesota next week. On the road, outdoors on natural grass, Bridgewater getting back in the Vikings lineup. It'll be Atlanta again for the Vikes and they can help out the Packers with a win over the Lions. For one temporary week let's all be Vikqueens fans.

7. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    lol...it really gets old. There's always this hot team and this hot QB or this amazing defense. My Lord when will we understand that it takes more than a few games to anoint a team? San Fran...Seattle...Denver...those teams scare me and are proven... Buffalo? nah. Maybe 6 weeks from now but not yet. They haven't done shi$ yet.

8. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,748
    Suit yourself, but remember this thread come December.

I know what I'm seeing and it's an outstanding defense that plays with heart (something us Packer fans are not particularly familiar with these past few years), along with good players at all of the offensive skill positions. If Orton continues to game manage like he did this afternoon you're looking at a 10 win team.

9. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,748
    That's one way of looking at it.

Here's another:

The team that capitalizes on the opponent's mistakes gets the just deserts. The loser is rewarded with the "what ifs".

So, Detroit overlooked the importance of the place kicker in their planning or just made a bad choice. Buffalo signed one of the best in the 2013 off season and he won the game with 58 yarder. In between, the Bills played tough and smart when it would have been easy to let down.

That's how it works.

10. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +206
    Detroit better sign Prater...Henery is another bum. Buffalo does not scare me whatsoever....

11. PackerFanLV

PackerFanLV Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +182
    I felt so bad for him, you know he's fired.

12. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,748
    Have you seen them play? "Scared" may not be the right word. "Concerned" might be more apt.

Words like "scared" and "panic" should be reserved for those with large monetary wagers they cannot afford to lose.

13. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    Kickers are a cutthroat business these days. If you're not very well established, one bad game can and often will cost you your job. The Robbie Goulds and Dan Baileys of the world can survive a 2-3 miss game -- rookies often can't.

Some people point to a struggling kicker not being replaceable because he's a top 50, top 100 of all time, etc. accurate kicker. That's silly. They are basically all top 50 all time in accuracy these days. Its an era of perfection for kickers now. You had better be pretty much automatic inside 40 and be able to hit 50+ with decent success these days. 80% isn't good enough anymore when there are 82% guys on the street ready to take your job.

14. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    Fair enough... my main point is, so often NFL fans jump from one extreme to the other. He##, some Packer fans actually started questioning Aaron Rodgers skills after 2 games just because he had a slow start.

Look at the Falcons, every single year we talk about this amazing team and THIS YEAR is "the" year for them. Same this year...NOT!

People will start talking about Dallas again now that they ran off a few. One word. Romo -NOT! (Although the division sucks so they might well win that)

Chicago has tons of weapons for Jay Cutler, just watch...THIS is their year! - NOT!

Detroit....Detroit is the team to beat in our division. (This one is endlessly puked year after year lately) - NOT

As far as Buffalo... I bet a very average Pats team puts them in their place next weekend.

15. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,748
    You're in luck. NE is favored by 3 points.

NE is not an average team. They're an emotional yo-yo, horrible one week and blowing out CIN the next. This week they happened to have risen to the challenge of the Brady controversy. Next week...emotional let down on the road?

If I were you I'd keep my money in my pocket.

16. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,748
    The Lions cut Henery today.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +460
    That didn't take long. I'm glad we didn't get rid of Crosby when he had his bad stretch.

18. Zeck180

Zeck180 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +173
    That's were you're wrong, Minnesota likes fake things and TCF has field turf, because really the vikings playing on real grass?

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    I don't think they're very special any more. I would call them average. I think. I certainly wouldn't lose sleep if the Pack had to play them. No, I would not expect a let down. Buffalo had their 60 seconds of fans actually remembering they are still in the NFL. Now it's time they get back to what they do best. Lose.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    There you are wrong for I once dated a girl from Minnesota and her "two best assets" were anything but fake. :tup:

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485
    That is why I figured no matter who was the Viks q.b the Pack would win

22. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485

He will be here all week folks!

• Funny Funny x 2
  23. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,054
    Let that be a warning :D

• Informative Informative x 1
  24. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,748
    I tried to make the case here for signing Dan Carpenter in the 2013 free agency period. He ended up going to Buffalo from Miami for about $2.5 mil per year for 5 years, a little less cash than we're paying Crosby per year but a little more cap once you figure in Crosby's dead cap if we'd cut him.

Carpenter would have been a good signing. Carpenter's and Crosby's FG% are about on par in 2013-2014. Both get a fair share of long kick opportunities. Carpenter's better in getting touch backs. Crosby has a knack for the on-side kick. Carpenter has had the liability of playing in a dome-less division.

The thing is, keeping Crosby was risky. Carpenter had a 5 year resume of consistently good performance when the Packers had a chance to sign him. Carpenter ranks 12th. all time in FG%, even after being dented a bit by attempting 26 FGs of 40+ yds. in 2010, which might be some kind of record.

I would also note that Crosby's "big leg" seems a bit overstated. I believe that perception is a hangover from his college days at Colorado kicking at altitude. He regularly appears at the bottom of the annual touchback % ranking.

25. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,748
    The Packers do play New England...Nov. 30 in Green Bay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.