A Note About the Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, then. With that line of thinking you would then put yourself in that category as well.

What I was "trying to say" was obvious...so I won't bother elaborating.

Ya know... I wasn't even trying to be an idiot or argumentative and you come with this?

As others have said, there was nothing "obvious" about what you wrote. You sounded like Al Sharpton on crack with a box of pop rocks in his mouth.

....and I'll go on record...so we have it in January... I think you're whacked to suggest Buffalo is anything even worth mentioning...not as "the" team....not as "A" team... not as "el teamo"... nothing.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
;)
I'd expect no less.

OK, it was a discussion about buzz-worthy teams (like the Bills) and the habit of the media to cast them as the team to beat. They often turn out to be the flavor of the month and revert back to their pedigree.

There are no such teams, no the team to beat, except when the season is on the line, or when playing a defending champion still at the top of their game and one you have not been able to beat.

There are other teams that should be thought of as tough wins and the kind needed to build a playoff-contending record. Those are a team to beat.

Does that help?

Now that makes sense. Thanks for putting down the bottle of Jack for minute and actually attempting to write a coherent post. Next time don't shoot the readers for not understanding your mumdled garblings. Yes, I'm just giving you crap...it's all good. I'll throw in one of these... ;).

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get that, but Crosby's leg is much stronger than Carpenter's leg. Look at that last FG Carpenter made. It was not "made with ease". It took everything Carpenter had to get that through. How many kickers have come inches short of making a 69 yarder in the cold against the wind? I agree that kickers are getting better and better from distance, but Crosby's leg is much stronger than Carpenter's leg.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/v...he-Lions/df1d540e-f719-49d0-bb55-52a1aa377933

Watch it again. It hits the net. I don't agree that it just eeked over.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Here's a 60 yarder, and the announcers make the point that it is at sea level with no elevation, which makes a tremendous difference.

I'm not arguing that missing the crossbar by a yard or so isn't an impressive feat on a 69 yarder in the Lambeau weather. But I have really no idea how that weather affects the ball compared to a low elevation. Also keep in mind that kick was 6 years ago, and a free kick can be struck differently than a traditional FG -- you can approach it with the trajectory that you need for that kind of distance without needing to worry about a kick rush.

Again, not saying that means it's not impressive, just saying that it makes it difficult to compare to other long successful or attempted FG's. Not that this is a Carpenter vs. Crosby issue anyway -- I'm not even saying Carpenter has a stronger leg than Crosby Just that Crosby doesn't have "special" leg power in this day and age of kickers.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Ya know... I wasn't even trying to be an idiot or argumentative and you come with this?

As others have said, there was nothing "obvious" about what you wrote. You sounded like Al Sharpton on crack with a box of pop rocks in his mouth.

....and I'll go on record...so we have it in January... I think you're whacked to suggest Buffalo is anything even worth mentioning...not as "the" team....not as "A" team... not as "el teamo"... nothing.
Like you said, why would your opinion mean any more to anyone than the next tom, **** or harry on a topic like this? And by your standards, that is not argumentative.

And I don't think you want to cite that other guy as an authority on what's obvious and what's not...he can't differentiate what's written from what's swimming in his head.

The Packers - Bills game is in December, not January.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I would like to note a 69 yard free kick has little resemblance to a 69 yard field goal attempt. On a free kick, the kicker can take as long a running start as he wants. He does not have to concern himself with the timing or placement of the snap. There's no defensive rush. He can take a running start, haul off, and hope for the best. It resembles more a kickoff than a field goal...the advantages far outweigh the disadvantage of not having a tee.

Last edited by a moderator:

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like you said, why would your opinion mean any more to anyone than the next tom, **** or harry on a topic like this? And by your standards, that is not argumentative.

And I don't think you want to cite that other guy as an authority on what's obvious and what's not...he can't differentiate what's written from what's swimming in his head.

The Packers - Bills game is in December, not January.

I was referring to the end of the season when we look back on results (January). lol....you are CLASSIC.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I was referring to the end of the season when we look back on results (January). lol....you are CLASSIC.
I know that's what you were talking about. It's not what I'm talking about. The December game is where this discussion started and the reason it has relevance to the Packers. Another guy stuck in his own head....

Last edited by a moderator:

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that's what you were talking about. It's not what I'm talking about...and that's where this discussion started and the reason it has relevance to the Packers. Another guy who's stuck in his own head....

OK, but, are you sure they are "the" team and not "a" team or are they "a team" that's "the a" team the team that's an "a" team's "a"?

D

Deleted member 6794

I think my point is getting misconstrued into being that I don't like Carpenter, which is not my point. I think Crosby has a stronger leg, though. Does anybody actually disagree with that? With the 60 yarder against Miami, that was an impressive kick, but the one against Detroit, it was decent. Obviously it's good to make a 60 yarder any time, but I don't think it really put him on the map for leg strength. A kicker should be able to make a 60 yard kick in a dome. So unless someone disagrees with my point that Crosby has a stronger leg than Carpenter, I'm going to quit splitting hairs on this.

And nevertheless Crosby has never made a kick longer than 58 yards in the NFL although he has played 24 games in a dome during his career. His only 60 yarder happened when he was playing for the Colorado Buffaloes at mile-high Folsom Field in Boulder.

In addition accuracy is way more important than having superior leg strength as it doesn´t make any sense being able to kick a ball 70 yards but not being able to kick it through the uprights.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somebody's still confused....

ya...right...it's everyone else that's confused.

You, "the" guy are "a guy" that's really great at being "a" guy "the a" and "the" guy "a", "the", "a" "the a" who writes really well!

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

ya...right...it's everyone else that's confused.

You, "the" guy are "a guy" that's really great at being "a" guy "the a" and "the" guy "a", "the", "a" "the a" who writes really well!
Unresolved frustrations...still.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unresolved frustrations...still.

Nope, we understand you perfectly now. We have it figured out.

"A" team to beat and "the" or is "a" THE "A" in a Mason Crosby a the "a" the a long kicks team to beat "the" kicker "the" field goals!

GOT IT! We're all good!

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Nope, we understand you perfectly now. We have it figured out.

"A" team to beat and "the" or is "a" THE "A" in a Mason Crosby a the "a" the a long kicks team to beat "the" kicker "the" field goals!

GOT IT! We're all good!
I'm so proud of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.