A Draft that shores up WR, LB, and RB

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Improving on the DL and ILB will help out the DB's. Making the QB's throw quicker allows the DB's to be a little more aggressive... now if we can get the DB's to actually catch those interceptions. How many INT drops did we have last year? 10? 15?

I'm on the side that says we need to improve the DL to help the DB's rather than keep on stocking up on DB's. The Front 6 or 7 is needed to help stop the run that we suck at.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you looked at how the Packers have fared in the last...6 years taking DB's in round 1 or round 2? Sounds like you automatically assume that an early round DB is going to be successful? There are never guarantees when it comes to the draft, but I would rather take our big swings at positions of immediate needs. We aren't in rebuild mode here, we are in improve upon a 13-3 team mode. Using most of our draft amo to "stock up and bolster" an already decent and getting better group? No thanks. Just my opinion, but we don't have the luxury to do that, give the current needs. One could probably say the same thing about the Gary selection last year.

Didn't work last time, better never try again!

We should also only draft WR's in the 2nd round, never take a Wisconsin RB, and never take a short CB (that's what everybody said before Jaire). Your logic is just faulty.

Now I'm not saying we need to take a CB in the first, but if we took one on Day 2, got no issue with that. It's not our biggest position of need, but it is a position of need.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you looked at how the Packers have fared in the last...6 years taking DB's in round 1 or round 2? Sounds like you automatically assume that an early round DB is going to be successful? There are never guarantees when it comes to the draft, but I would rather take our big swings at positions of immediate needs. We aren't in rebuild mode here, we are in improve upon a 13-3 team mode. Using most of our draft amo to "stock up and bolster" an already decent and getting better group? No thanks. Just my opinion, but we don't have the luxury to do that, give the current needs. One could probably say the same thing about the Gary selection last year.
As I told you before, our success has been pretty much about the same as our attempts at drafting DL. Matter of fact I could make an argument that we had more success drafting DBs than we have at DLs.

Obviously we have glaring needs, and obviously nothing is guaranteed, but I already suggest a viable solution in which we can address said manner rather than just swinging and missing in a draft in which shift our focus on other areas. Us bolstering should help things go smoothly once we have to release certain players that we won't be able to keep, and as I said before we could potentially package them into trades. I'm not saying we ignore DL altogether, do not misunderstand me. But I do see the need in keeping a vast amount of depth at one of our strengths, especially a position where we've been struggling at for several years. We're already seeing what happens at the WR position when we don't have the substantial amount of talent and depth.

Plus like I said before we also need to focus on other glaring areas on the offensive side, so while I do understand and agree that we need to address DL in the draft, I think there are other ways of going about it also, and we should also not take for granted our secondary and take the opportunity to restock as well.

To be clear I am NOT saying we spend a draft pick on one in the first early rounds. I'm saying maybe pick a few up like during a 6th round or something.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Didn't work last time, better never try again!

Actually, it worked the last 2 times we did it in the first round (Savage and Alexander). Prior to that, not so much when it came to 2nd and 1st rounders. My main point is the fact that we have more pressing needs (unless Free Agency changes that), so why repeat and rinse trying to land yet another DB in the first 2 rounds when A. they aren't a necessity right now and B. in the last 6 drafts there have been 4 #1's and 4 #2's spent on DB's (8 of 13 picks), time to focus our draft capital elsewhere.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, it worked the last 2 times we did it in the first round (Savage and Alexander). Prior to that, not so much when it came to 2nd and 1st rounders. My main point is the fact that we have more pressing needs (unless Free Agency changes that), so why repeat and rinse trying to land yet another DB in the first 2 rounds when A. they aren't a necessity right now and B. in the last 6 drafts there have been 4 #1's and 4 #2's spent on DB's (8 of 13 picks), time to focus our draft capital elsewhere.

Right now we have two CB's that have proven they can start, one of whom has injury issues and a contract running out. Outside of that, we have a 2nd round pick who's done nothing in 2 years, an UDFA, and a 6th round pick. How is it not a position of need?

I get that WR and LB are more pressing needs, but value is value. And CB is definitely a need. I don't see how anybody could argue otherwise.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Right now we have two CB's that have proven they can start, one of whom has injury issues and a contract running out. Outside of that, we have a 2nd round pick who's done nothing in 2 years, an UDFA, and a 6th round pick. How is it not a position of need?

Right now we have:
  • 0 ILB's that I would call starting quality
  • 1 DL man that I would call starting quality
  • 1 WR that I would call starting quality
  • 0 TE's that I would call starting quality
  • 1 Offensive Tackle that I would call starting quality
Do we draft a QB high given that Rodgers is 36 and suffered injuries 2 of the last 3 years? Do we get more RB's? Savage and Amos could go downhill, lets draft another Safety. What happens if Mason Crosby or JK Scott go down, lets get backups in now!

I understand that you are worried about not having enough capable CB's and yes it would be awesome to have more. However, you have a limited amount of cap money, a limited amount of Draft capital, if you can't see that there are more pressing needs than we currently have at CB, then that is your view, not mine.

Reaction score
I’d like to see us get at least 2 players in FA (e.g, LB and DT). Then really focusing on the Offense hard in this draft, while supplementing the D depth.
#30WR
#62 TE/RB
#94 OT
#126 RB/TE
#158 LB
#173 WR
#190 CB
#202 OL
#220 QB

Last edited:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d like to see us get at least 2 players in FA (e.g, LB and DT). Then really focusing on the Offense hard in this draft, while supplementing the D depth.
#30WR
#62 TE
#94 OT
#126 CB
#158 LB
#173 RB
#190 WR
#202 DT
#220 QB
I'd switch OT with WR, but I won't object getting a WR in the first round if it's a bonafide stud.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now we have:
  • 0 ILB's that I would call starting quality
  • 1 DL man that I would call starting quality
  • 1 WR that I would call starting quality
  • 0 TE's that I would call starting quality
  • 1 Offensive Tackle that I would call starting quality
Do we draft a QB high given that Rodgers is 36 and suffered injuries 2 of the last 3 years? Do we get more RB's? Savage and Amos could go downhill, lets draft another Safety. What happens if Mason Crosby or JK Scott go down, lets get backups in now!

I understand that you are worried about not having enough capable CB's and yes it would be awesome to have more. However, you have a limited amount of cap money, a limited amount of Draft capital, if you can't see that there are more pressing needs than we currently have at CB, then that is your view, not mine.

Agree on ILB.

Dean Lowry is starting quality, and KeKe looked to have nice potential. A good run stuffer would be nice, and they're usually cheap.

I think Lazard is close to starting quality, but we absolutely need more talent here, and this is the draft for it.

I think Sterny is a capable starter, and Lewis is an okay Y. Terrible draft for TE's, just okay FA options.

If we don't bring Bulaga back, I think we have to spend a high pick on an OT. So much depends what we do at RT in FA.

Getting another QB at a high number with Rodgers salary is asinine.

I have said that we have more pressing needs than CB. Try reading my posts. It's like you just skim the over, and vaguely guess at the topic. Pay attention, please.

What I am trying to say is that right now, we have one starting CB on the books for 2021. It's a passing league. While CB isn't our biggest need, it is without a doubt a need.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What I am trying to say is that right now, we have one starting CB on the books for 2021. It's a passing league. While CB isn't our biggest need, it is without a doubt a need.

Again, I don't disagree with you that it may be a future need, as well as an important need, but for 2020, we have too many other needs, so it would be a luxury that we probably couldn't afford. We have lots of future needs (RB, LT, QB, CB, etc) but you can only plan for so many, while you take care of your current needs. This season, I think Gute would be wise to bring Tramon back or sign another reasonably priced vet FA CB and hope Sullivan, Hollman or any other development player pans out. I see the Packers drafting a CB, but not til the later rounds.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's like you just skim the over, and vaguely guess at the topic. Pay attention, please.

LOL @ "vaguely guess the topic" and "pay attention please"

First of all...how about a big "FU". Your constant condescending BS isn't impressive and rather annoying!

You are one of many posters, sorry that it offends you (in more than just this thread) that I don't pay special attention to you, remember WTF you say or agree with you.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the draft goes as predicted I 100% will be ticked. That many RBs, WRs, and LBs....no thank you. Vastly too many holes left avoided. Yes BPA is something I support, but dear lord if best player available is a WR (but you've taken two) move on to that second best that is a run stuffing DL..or a solid DB....

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the draft goes as predicted I 100% will be ticked. That many RBs, WRs, and LBs....no thank you. Vastly too many holes left avoided. Yes BPA is something I support, but dear lord if best player available is a WR (but you've taken two) move on to that second best that is a run stuffing DL..or a solid DB....
Or trade back. Or trade up when there is one guy sitting there who has great value at a position of need.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or trade back. Or trade up when there is one guy sitting there who has great value at a position of need.

Honestly, the more I think on this coming draft...I truly think the likelihood we don't draft in round 1 but have two round 2 picks is higher and higher. I truly hope a run on WR happens, the QB occurs but stops at 4 until our pick. I truly think that 5th year option is what some years drives teams to want to swing up to the back end of that 1st round and at #30 even if all you do is slide back 6-10 spots plus add a 3rd or maybe a 4th and a 5th it is WORTH IT.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I get that WR and LB are more pressing needs, but value is value. And CB is definitely a need. I don't see how anybody could argue otherwise.

Tramon Williams has proven he can start. We have 3 CBs proven they can start. We have more pressing needs at ILB and DL than CB right now. We have potentially 0 ILBs that are proven starters, and 1 all pro DL but nothing beside him. Hence glaring holes and we couldn't stop the run. Given that we have 3 solid CBs, 2 solid Safetys, pass protection isn't the biggest need. Shoring up the middle of the line at the 1st and 2nd level is the most glaring hole in our defense, as exposed by the 49ers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon Williams has proven he can start. We have 3 CBs proven they can start. We have more pressing needs at ILB and DL than CB right now. We have potentially 0 ILBs that are proven starters, and 1 all pro DL but nothing beside him. Hence glaring holes and we couldn't stop the run. Given that we have 3 solid CBs, 2 solid Safetys, pass protection isn't the biggest need. Shoring up the middle of the line at the 1st and 2nd level is the most glaring hole in our defense, as exposed by the 49ers.

The claim of Tramon, while valid in my opinion doesn't change the statement we presently only have 2 CBs that have proven they can start. He is not under contract at the moment.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL @ "vaguely guess the topic" and "pay attention please"

First of all...how about a big "FU". Your constant condescending BS isn't impressive and rather annoying!

You are one of many posters, sorry that it offends you (in more than just this thread) that I don't pay special attention to you, remember WTF you say or agree with you.

Responding with accuracy doesn't require special attention. Maybe that's the problem for you...

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, I don't disagree with you that it may be a future need, as well as an important need, but for 2020, we have too many other needs, so it would be a luxury that we probably couldn't afford. We have lots of future needs (RB, LT, QB, CB, etc) but you can only plan for so many, while you take care of your current needs. This season, I think Gute would be wise to bring Tramon back or sign another reasonably priced vet FA CB and hope Sullivan, Hollman or any other development player pans out. I see the Packers drafting a CB, but not til the later rounds.

QB really isn't a future need for at least 2 years because of the contract Rodgers has. Just hard for me to justify a high pick or expensive backup right now. Late day 3 picks are probably all for now.

I really don't think CB is a future need, it's an immediate need. We have two CB's on the roster capable of starting on the outside. I'm not sure we have anybody capable of starting as a slot. Maybe Tramon comes back, but that's a little risky too. Again, this is a passing league. If Chandon Sullivan is our CB3, we're in big, big, trouble. Whether it's FA or the draft, CB is an immediate need.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, the more I think on this coming draft...I truly think the likelihood we don't draft in round 1 but have two round 2 picks is higher and higher. I truly hope a run on WR happens, the QB occurs but stops at 4 until our pick. I truly think that 5th year option is what some years drives teams to want to swing up to the back end of that 1st round and at #30 even if all you do is slide back 6-10 spots plus add a 3rd or maybe a 4th and a 5th it is WORTH IT.
Gute has traded a first round pick 3 times in 2 years. It's a small sample size, but I think a trade is likely.

Unless one of the top WRs or a top ILB, I think we should trade back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The claim of Tramon, while valid in my opinion doesn't change the statement we presently only have 2 CBs that have proven they can start. He is not under contract at the moment.

Valid point and I hope they are able to resign Williams, he was a great addition as the slot CB and someone who notoriously has stayed very healthy and on the field. However, even if they can't resign him, I think there are better options with current players (Sullivan/Hollman) or free agents, than to use another high pick and expect that rookie to immediately play better than any of the other options. More importantly, as I have said previously, I think those high picks need to be allocated for other positions.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be surprised at all to see a DB in the first 3 rounds

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Valid point and I hope they are able to resign Williams, he was a great addition as the slot CB and someone who notoriously has stayed very healthy and on the field. However, even if they can't resign him, I think there are better options with current players (Sullivan/Hollman) or free agents, than to use another high pick and expect that rookie to play better any of the other options. More importantly, as I have said previously, I think those high picks need to be allocated for other positions.

I have mocked us going Love from Notre Dame in the 4th a few times. I suspect a DB will be picked between 3rd-5th.