A Draft that shores up WR, LB, and RB

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#30 WR LSU Justin Jeffereson
Perfect slot receiver in mlf offense. 6-1 4.43 speed precise route runner. He'll quickly become an Aaron Rodgers favorite.

#62 WR Arizona St Brandon Aiyuk
Exactly what the Packers need outside opposite davantae adams. This dude is 6-0 205 with 4.50 speed and if you don't think that's fast enough watch all the take of him taking short slants to the house.

#94 LB Appalachian St Akeem Davis Gaithers
Sideline to sideline play maker at ilb that the Packers have been lacking forever. He's a 4 down player with coverage and tackling skills to make people forget about Blake Martinez after his first game. 6-2 220 pounds he's a bit light but he makes plays.

#126 RB Memphis Antonio Gibson
Somewhat of a Randall Cobb type player only much bigger and more towards the rb side. He's 6-1 227 with 4.39 speed. A threat to score from anywhere. And he's an excellent receiver for a rb.

#157 LB Utah Francis Bernard
At 6-1 230 he's a bit short but he's a good athlete with the ability to hold up well in coverage as a ilb. He'll compete for the job opposite ADG.

#172 OT Michigan Jon Runyan
Son of longtime nfl lineman. He's a big man at 6-5 321 but he can really move well for that size. Making him a great fit for mlf zone scheme. He started at LT in college but a move to the right side to replace bulaga in a year or 2 would make sense.

#189 RB Memphis Patrick Taylor Jr
Another Memphis rb, it just worked out that he was in the board. And I think he completes the rb group quite nicely. Aaron Jones, Jamal Williams, Gibson, and now Taylor Jr each bring something unique. For Taylor it's size power and speed. At 6-3 227 he's a monster at the position. He's scores over 30 tds in limited touches at Memphis. Oh and he's also an excellent receiver to the point he can be split out as well.

#201 LB Penn St Cameron Brown
Another guy for the competition for the spot next to AKG inside with ty summers and Bernard. He's my favorite to win it as he brings something different, great size. At 6-5 232 he's got great range and coverage ability. He forced a good number of fumbles at Penn St, he's a play maker. How great it would be to have 2 of those at ilb in 2020.

#219 WR Southern Miss Quez Watkins
At 6-1 182 he's I need of some added weight. But with 4.35 speed and solid tape he's got a chance. He looks silky smooth on film so perhaps the Packers could have a gem in the 7th from Brett Favres Alma matter. Maybe he ends up on the ps or maybe he makes gute keep him on the 53 either way a wr room of Adams, Jefferson, Aiyuk, EQ, Lazard, and either Watkins or MVS is a far cry from the 2019 group.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know enough of prospects ever to even guess at these things. I would hope there is 1 guy in the first 3 rounds that can fit the bill at WR and move on.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers are in need of more than one receiver. If you had to pick one you pick Jefferson and move on.

But Aiyuk has a real unique habit of turning slants into touchdowns. The fit seems too good for both of these guys with Rodgers in GB.

As for the third guy that's a 7th rounder it's a flyer

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I"d like to see more DL and OL, less WR

Agreed. I really don't want to see WR turned into what CB turned into several years ago...
"keep throwing lots of picks at it until something sticks". I actually think that is why we are in the mess that we are today at WR, Teddy forgot to try and inject youthful talent into it. I'm fine with using a top 3 pick at WR, its in dire need after all, but so is ILB and to some extent DT. I don't expect to get 3 instant starters from the draft either, but 1 or 2 at those positions would be nice.

Hopefully, Gute finds a way, before the draft, to address most of those positions plus TE via Free Agency. WR isn't in need of a top FA, but a decent middle of the road vet sure might help and put less pressure on a rookie to instantly produce.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I"d like to see more DL and OL, less WR

Ummm... yes to this.

Without some more beef on the DL, all those shiny new LBers will get pushed off the line by free-ranging guards who outweigh them by 80 lbs, and will end up making tackles 7-10 yards deep just like Martinez.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
When you say that it was just the way the board fell, do you mean that you personally mocked the entire draft, or that you were using a draft simulator?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perfect slot receiver in mlf offense. 6-1 4.43 speed precise route runner. He'll quickly become an Aaron Rodgers favorite.

Exactly what the Packers need outside opposite davantae adams. This dude is 6-0 205 with 4.50 speed and if you don't think that's fast enough watch all the take of him taking short slants to the house.

Sideline to sideline play maker at ilb that the Packers have been lacking forever. He's a 4 down player with coverage and tackling skills to make people forget about Blake Martinez after his first game. 6-2 220 pounds he's a bit light but he makes plays.

Somewhat of a Randall Cobb type player only much bigger and more towards the rb side. He's 6-1 227 with 4.39 speed. A threat to score from anywhere. And he's an excellent receiver for a rb.

At 6-1 230 he's a bit short but he's a good athlete with the ability to hold up well in coverage as a ilb. He'll compete for the job opposite ADG.

Son of longtime nfl lineman. He's a big man at 6-5 321 but he can really move well for that size. Making him a great fit for mlf zone scheme. He started at LT in college but a move to the right side to replace bulaga in a year or 2 would make sense.

Another Memphis rb, it just worked out that he was in the board. And I think he completes the rb group quite nicely. Aaron Jones, Jamal Williams, Gibson, and now Taylor Jr each bring something unique. For Taylor it's size power and speed. At 6-3 227 he's a monster at the position. He's scores over 30 tds in limited touches at Memphis. Oh and he's also an excellent receiver to the point he can be split out as well.

Another guy for the competition for the spot next to AKG inside with ty summers and Bernard. He's my favorite to win it as he brings something different, great size. At 6-5 232 he's got great range and coverage ability. He forced a good number of fumbles at Penn St, he's a play maker. How great it would be to have 2 of those at ilb in 2020.

At 6-1 182 he's I need of some added weight. But with 4.35 speed and solid tape he's got a chance. He looks silky smooth on film so perhaps the Packers could have a gem in the 7th from Brett Favres Alma matter. Maybe he ends up on the ps or maybe he makes gute keep him on the 53 either way a wr room of Adams, Jefferson, Aiyuk, EQ, Lazard, and either Watkins or MVS is a far cry from the 2019 group.

Aiyuk is going in the first in a lot of mocks i've seen. We may be able to get Shenault in the 2nd now that he's going for surgery.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aiyuk is going in the first in a lot of mocks i've seen. We may be able to get Shenault in the 2nd now that he's going for surgery.

Shenault really scares me.

He's great with the ball in his hands, but I'm not sure in his routes he shows a lot of speed. And the guy cannot stay healthy. He's a risk that I'm not sure we can take.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We should also bolster up our secondary.
Isn't that what we have been doing for the past......6+ years?

I know everybody wants 5 Pro Bowl players in the secondary, but there comes a point where the front 7 have to be good enough to do their job, because if they don't, I don't care who is covering who, guys get open.

I think we saw how much better the secondary was last year with the Smith Brothers playing, now add an ILB and a decent Defensive lineman and that will improve the defense.

Basically, I am tired of chasing our tail by spending more high picks on the secondary. Time to invest in the offense and the 2 positions on the defense that are really lacking.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I know everybody wants 5 Pro Bowl players in the secondary, but there comes a point where the front 7 have to be good enough to do their job, because if they don't, I don't care who is covering who, guys get open.

I think we saw how much better the secondary was last year with the Smith Brothers playing, now add an ILB and a decent Defensive lineman and that will improve the defense.

Basically, I am tired of chasing our tail by spending more high picks on the secondary. Time to invest in the offense and the 2 positions on the defense that are really lacking.

Exactly, last year a lot of us knew that we would focus on offense in this draft given its depth. I see no reason to stray from that plan. We need an ILB and a DE for sure, but with our first? I don't think so. Unless Gute signs two FA WR's, I still think we should get the best available WR at our pick. Many are projecting Hamler to us.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We have 6 DBs on the field at times. Plan on an injury or two. We will lose a player or 2 as FAs in a year or 2. And it takes a year or 2 for a DB to get to a reliable level.

I think DB is a position we cannot overlook in this or any draft. Sometimes you need one in the first and sometimes in the 3rd or 5th.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think DB is a position we cannot overlook in this or any draft.

I'm fine using a late round pick or 2 at DB, but with as thin as we are at WR, ILB and DL, I just don't see how spending too much more in draft resources or cap space (Free agency) on DB's helps your overall team, if you don't improve those 3 positions first.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine using a late round pick or 2 at DB, but with as thin as we are at WR, ILB and DL, I just don't see how spending too much more in draft resources or cap space (Free agency) on DB's helps your overall team, if you don't improve those 3 positions first.
I agree fully.

But I would never pass on a higher rated CB to take a position of need.

We are okay this draft as there are so many good WRs it makes my head spin. We can get a WR in the 2nd who can contribute meaningfully as a rookie.

Free agency will also play a role in all of this. I hope we dont go after a FA WR as, like I said, we can get a good rookie much cheaper. Course, all teams are thinking that so this crop of FAs are not getting as big of deals as everyone thinks.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No more than what we've been doing in trying to bolster up our pass rushers and linebackers in those same amount of years. Our secondary is a strength and that is VERY rare considering things. I don't necessarily care in trying to create 5 pro bowlers or whatever, but rather we have DEPTH in case of injuries, or possible pieces we can trade for at later points. Plus with expiring contracts around the corner that is something we should take care of so that way the transition will be smoother. But that's just me.

Please don't misunderstand, I do agree we need to draft a receiver, ILB, and a offensive lineman, but secondary should also be looked at as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

We are okay this draft as there are so many good WRs it makes my head spin....I hope we dont go after a FA WR as, like I said, we can get a good rookie much cheaper. Course, all teams are thinking that so this crop of FAs are not getting as big of deals as everyone thinks.

Good thought process and I agree with some of your observations but we differ as to how to use those to approach the situation.

We Agree on:
  • Deep WR Class
  • Shallow FA Class
  • Suppressed FA value due to Draft options
So if teams really are staying away from FA's due to cost and thinking they are going to be able to "just pick up a quality starter in the draft", I am taking that information and saying "now is the time to pick up a FA WR". First, you might get him at a bargain and second, if there is suddenly a run on WR due to that supply being good, but limited, at the #62 pick, you might find yourself still getting a WR, but not a ready made to start one.

Again, I would combine both options. Sign a mid tier FA WR, that due to the draft market, might be a bargain this year. Use one of my first 3 picks on a top WR, before you think the market is about to get emptied.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Can I ask who's board you are drafting from? I'm seeing Runyan as a late 7/UDFA on any list I've ever seen.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thought process and I agree with some of your observations but we differ as to how to use those to approach the situation.

We Agree on:
  • Deep WR Class
  • Shallow FA Class
  • Suppressed FA value due to Draft options
So if teams really are staying away from FA's due to cost and thinking they are going to be able to "just pick up a quality starter in the draft", I am taking that information and saying "now is the time to pick up a FA WR". First, you might get him at a bargain and second, if there is suddenly a run on WR due to that supply being good, but limited, at the #62 pick, you might find yourself still getting a WR, but not a ready made to start one.

Again, I would combine both options. Sign a mid tier FA WR, that due to the draft market, might be a bargain this year. Use one of my first 3 picks on a top WR, before you think the market is about to get emptied.
One of those things that can go either way. I would make some offers to a WR or 2 as lowball offers and see what happens. WR may panic when big money isnt coming. May think the offers may dry up more after the draft.

Definitely worth a shot. Anderson, Cooper, and Sanders would all get offers, or at least talks with the agents. What he is looking for and what we are thinking. Call back if your expectations should lower.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No more than what we've been doing in trying to bolster up our pass rushers and linebackers in those same amount of years. Our secondary is a strength and that is VERY rare considering things. I don't necessarily care in trying to create 5 pro bowlers or whatever, but rather we have DEPTH in case of injuries, or possible pieces we can trade for at later points. Plus with expiring contracts around the corner that is something we should take care of so that way the transition will be smoother. But that's just me.

Please don't misunderstand, I do agree we need to draft a receiver, ILB, and a offensive lineman, but secondary should also be looked at as well.

Our secondary is a strength, right now.

Safeties are shores up for a few years.

Jaire is a stud. King is okay when healthy, but he really struggled against double moves and receivers with quicks. Just can't flip his hips fast enough. Does well against bigger receivers. Obvious issues with health. He's going into a contract year...how much do you wanna pay that guy? It's a risk. Let's say they do bring him back, after that we have...Chandon Sullivan? Josh Jackson? Hollman? Sullivan did well in spot play, but he hasn't done enough to say we can depend on him as a CB3. Jackson hasn't done anything yet. Hollman obviously hasn't either. Now these guys can obviously develop, but we aren't so strong at CB that we can pass up good talent if it's there.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our secondary is a strength, right now.

Safeties are shores up for a few years.

Jaire is a stud. King is okay when healthy, but he really struggled against double moves and receivers with quicks. Just can't flip his hips fast enough. Does well against bigger receivers. Obvious issues with health. He's going into a contract year...how much do you wanna pay that guy? It's a risk. Let's say they do bring him back, after that we have...Chandon Sullivan? Josh Jackson? Hollman? Sullivan did well in spot play, but he hasn't done enough to say we can depend on him as a CB3. Jackson hasn't done anything yet. Hollman obviously hasn't either. Now these guys can obviously develop, but we aren't so strong at CB that we can pass up good talent if it's there.
Which is exactly why I feel we need to stock up in regards to our secondary if we can, at least for depth purposes.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently our DL is weak and the secondary is fairly strong. There are two options here that would help out the secondary.

1. Draft more CB's and Safeties to stock up more talent.
2. Draft DL that can help with run and rush the QB which helps the DB's out.

After so many drafts of picking secondary help and failing to improve multiple areas (WR's, Interior DL, and ILB)... it is time to improve the defense via non-secondary picks unless someone drops that shouldn't be dropping.

Kenneth Murray, a WR that makes it to us in the second, and a strong, agile DL in the third would be nice...

WR, ILB, and DL in the first three rounds currently would be a good strong start... we still don't know as of yet what FA signings we have so these could change even though we could (and should) draft and/or sign 2 of each of those positions.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently our DL is weak and the secondary is fairly strong. There are two options here that would help out the secondary.

1. Draft more CB's and Safeties to stock up more talent.
2. Draft DL that can help with run and rush the QB which helps the DB's out.

After so many drafts of picking secondary help and failing to improve multiple areas (WR's, Interior DL, and ILB)... it is time to improve the defense via non-secondary picks unless someone drops that shouldn't be dropping.

Kenneth Murray, a WR that makes it to us in the second, and a strong, agile DL in the third would be nice...

WR, ILB, and DL in the first three rounds currently would be a good strong start... we still don't know as of yet what FA signings we have so these could change even though we could (and should) draft and/or sign 2 of each of those positions.

In my opinion I think we're better off going with the first option. My reason for saying this is due to the fact that chances are we probably won't strike gold in regards to DL in the first or second round in the draft, so it would be better to stock up and bolster our secondary, and maybe pick up a veteran via FA. Plus as multiple people have said, this draft is deep with WR talent, so chances are we will be drafting a WR in the second round, which leaves the O line, that also needs to be bolstered. From there we have depth in an area that is already a strength, and if things go well we can package a potential trade in regards to one of our weaknesses as we won't be able to keep all these players, but we'll still be in good condition going forward.

Again I know we need to address DL but with the combination of where we are in the draft and the previous luck we've had at handling that position, I feel it's better if we go at it differently.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In my opinion I think we're better off going with the first option. My reason for saying this is due to the fact that chances are we probably won't strike gold in regards to DL in the first or second round in the draft, so it would be better to stock up and bolster our secondary, and maybe pick up a veteran via FA

Have you looked at how the Packers have fared in the last...6 years taking DB's in round 1 or round 2? Sounds like you automatically assume that an early round DB is going to be successful? There are never guarantees when it comes to the draft, but I would rather take our big swings at positions of immediate needs. We aren't in rebuild mode here, we are in improve upon a 13-3 team mode. Using most of our draft amo to "stock up and bolster" an already decent and getting better group? No thanks. Just my opinion, but we don't have the luxury to do that, give the current needs. One could probably say the same thing about the Gary selection last year.