A Draft that shores up WR, LB, and RB

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
An interesting strategy. If we signed all the CB and had 52 on the roster all the other teams would have to put safeties at CB because we got em all. Rodgers would have a field day!

You might be on to something. 51 CB's we are bound to have better WR's as a group than we had last season!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An interesting strategy. If we signed all the CB and had 52 on the roster all the other teams would have to put safeties at CB because we got em all. Rodgers would have a field day!

You mean James Morgan.....Rodgers sucks, we need to cut him.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are going about this wrong. We trade ALL of our picks and move up to get Jeffrey Okudah. We will be set at CB for at least a year!

Getting Okudah instantly makes us a run stopping defense, and because he challenges the WR in practice all of our Wide outs are now all pros. No reason that can't fail.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Anyone look at Antonio Gibson out of Memphis? He intrigues me due to being big (6'1, 220), deceivingly fast for his size (4.39 40) and mulit-faceted. He can play RB, WR and return kicks and all quite well. My biggest question is gauging just how good he is. Not that the ACC is a terrible division and some good NFL players have come out of it, but when I watch his film, most of the tackling seems terrible.

Anyway, he seems to have turned a lot of heads at the combine and might have made a big enough impression to be moving up to a late day 2 or early day 3 pick. I wouldn't want to see the Packers grab him in the 3rd, but maybe 4th or 5th, something to consider.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Anyone look at Antonio Gibson out of Memphis? He intrigues me due to being big (6'1, 220), deceivingly fast for his size (4.39 40) and mulit-faceted. He can play RB, WR and return kicks and all quite well. My biggest question is gauging just how good he is. Not that the ACC is a terrible division and some good NFL players have come out of it, but when I watch his film, most of the tackling seems terrible.

Anyway, he seems to have turned a lot of heads at the combine and might have made a big enough impression to be moving up to a late day 2 or early day 3 pick. I wouldn't want to see the Packers grab him in the 3rd, but maybe 4th or 5th, something to consider.

Yeah, he would be a fun weapon to add to the offense. If they take a more traditional receiver earlier, I'd be happy to see them add Gibson later.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yup, he's been discussed in the draft section on quite a few occassions. I LOVE HIM and have him pegged as a guy I want. The issue with him is I could see someone grabbing him in the 3rd or him slipping to the 6th. It is incredibly tough to predict where realistically I expect him to go...which has kept me from predicting him to us. Personally I'm giving him serious consideration if come the 3rd round he is there...however a ton of that could depend on how the draft is progressing and forecasting.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I mean I'm all for someone saying that Jackson still has time to develop I mean one great consistency here is that posters are always ready to run underperforming players out of town. But uh... damn that was a reach.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just some more food for thought, I wager fans would have sacked Aaron Rodgers, Nelson, Davante Adams and Nick Collins after their second second. Heck I remember fans calling for Collins to be replaced with Aaron Rouse during his third year.

The team hopefully knows what it has and hopefully can determine which players should improve based on film study, coaching assessments and off season workouts. If the team grabs a couple CBs in the middle of the draft we'll know what it means, if not suggests that they think players like Jackson are getting better.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I mean I'm all for someone saying that Jackson still has time to develop I mean one great consistency here is that posters are always ready to run underperforming players out of town. But uh... damn that was a reach.

While I agree that he has time to develop, considering how many snaps he took on defense last year, it doesn't look like the Packers were willing to risk trying to develop him during actual play last season. The good news for Jackson, I don't think the Packers really save much by cutting him this season, so he may get one more year to prove his worth.

If Jackson doesn't pan out, he will go down as a big bust, but I would never call picking him at #45 a reach. Hell, some Mock drafts had Jackson going as early as the 1st round and with the need that the Packers had at CB at the time, I think most thought it was a great value pick at the time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless a team is going to trade something low round or potential based player for player for Jackson for a different scheme type fit, he's not going anywhere this year.

It's funny that 2 years ago almost everyone thought it was a great pick in the 2nd and we nailed a 1st round talent. 2 years later he's a busted reach :)

I still don't think the kid is done but we'll see.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless a team is going to trade something low round or potential based player for player for Jackson for a different scheme type fit, he's not going anywhere this year.

It's funny that 2 years ago almost everyone thought it was a great pick in the 2nd and we nailed a 1st round talent. 2 years later he's a busted reach :)

I still don't think the kid is done but we'll see.

I'd argue someone is being foolish saying he was a reach, if they want to claim he is a bust up to this point...whatever sure...still a story not finished, but he was definitely not a reach.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd argue someone is being foolish saying he was a reach, if they want to claim he is a bust up to this point...whatever sure...still a story not finished, but he was definitely not a reach.

If you ever look up the term "Best Player Available (BPA)", there should be a picture of Josh Jackson and maybe with an asterisk next to it saying "Cautionary Tale".

That pick was being lauded by many as an absolute steal by the Packers. They got someone that many thought was first round talent and even mocked by several as the Packers first pick. All that said and with Alexander ending up being the Packers first pick, I think Jackson wasn't really a need at that point but a clear BPA pick at #45. Could turn out to be a really bad pick.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you ever look up the term "Best Player Available (BPA)", there should be a picture of Josh Jackson and maybe with an asterisk next to it saying "Cautionary Tale".

That pick was being lauded by many as an absolute steal by the Packers. They got someone that many thought was first round talent and even mocked by several as the Packers first pick. All that said and with Alexander ending up being the Packers first pick, I think Jackson wasn't really a need at that point but a clear BPA pick at #45. Could turn out to be a really bad pick.
Don't know how Jackson will turn out but when all the other teams take a pass on him; you need to take that into consideration. Don't care what the pundits say. Try and figure out why teams are passing on a player. Can anyone take a shot at why they were passing on him?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know how Jackson will turn out but when all the other teams take a pass on him; you need to take that into consideration. Don't care what the pundits say. Try and figure out why teams are passing on a player. Can anyone take a shot at why they were passing on him?

Oh my word...after the first round essentially this can be said about literally EVERY player nearly.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Because he was undeveloped in man coverage and needed to play with his face to the LOS.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I get what you are trying to say, but you could have said that about Aaron Rodgers and the 23 or so teams that passed on him. I think the Vikings actually passed twice and to add insult, both of their first rounds were basically flops. Every player, except the #1 pick gets passed on at least once, just the nature of the draft.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get what you are trying to say, but you could have said that about Aaron Rodgers and the 23 or so teams that passed on him. I think the Vikings actually passed twice and to add insult, both of their first rounds were basically flops. Every player, except the #1 pick gets passed on at least once, just the nature of the draft.
Yes, and I was thinking of Rodgers as the prime example of not fitting what I said. Yeah, all the teams can be wrong. What I was trying to say was that you guys were discussing Jackson as being thought of as a great steal because he was still available to us in the 2nd when many of the talking heads had him going in the first. So I pointed out that when so many teams pass a guy; it is usually for a reason. And I sure as hell want to hit on our 2nd round pick.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are over 200 players picked after the first round. They all have grades and potential. I mean, NOBODY passed on Jamis Winston, Tim Couch, Jamarcuss Russell anyone? Teams pass or pick guys all the time. It wasn't just talking heads and fans. Jackson was rated fairly highly, 1st or 2nd rounder by almost all accounts and if you're to believe a journalists connections to scouts, they had this to say about Jackson.

Ridiculous ball skills to get interceptions,” a second scout said. “Some of the best I’ve ever seen. The concern is scheme fit. He probably would be better in a zone-heavy scheme where he can play off and just do the quarterback and can utilize his route awareness. As opposed to him lining up in press and having to deal with some of those burners on the edge

Average run support,” a third scout said. “He’s a low tackler and doesn’t wrap up. I didn’t see a burst. They played a lot of zone and he used a bail technique. If he went to Tampa in the old days the guy would be fantastic. I don’t see a guy playing man.
Kind of what we're seeing, but still a scout that saw a "fantastic" player

What a player,” one scout said. “He didn’t run very good but I’m going to tell you, he can play. He’s got vision, instincts and hands like a wide receiver, which he was at one time. No wasted steps; plants and drives on the ball … if you’re going to line him up like the old Oakland Raiders, he’s not that guy.

So plenty of people that saw a player in Josh Jackson. and he was a talking head, now he's an NFL GM and Mayock had him rated as his 45th best player in the entire draft. Guess where he was picked? SOmetimes guys don't translate to the NFL, but you'd be hard pressed to convince people that he was a "reach"

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly Rodgers was a system quarterback who hadn't even played 2 full seasons of big kid ball, and had only been in a legit program for about 3 years total. Even at 24 he wasn't an obvious selection and yes multiple quarterback needy teams passed on him including the Vikes Bears and Lions.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As expected, the Packers received no compensatory picks....

Members online

Latest posts