A Draft that shores up WR, LB, and RB

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is currently on the Green Bay Packers roster...

Stop, he is not under contract for the 2020 season, which is what all the discussion is centered around and you know it. I hope he will be, but cannot state he is.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Valid point and I hope they are able to resign Williams, he was a great addition as the slot CB and someone who notoriously has stayed very healthy and on the field. However, even if they can't resign him, I think there are better options with current players (Sullivan/Hollman) or free agents, than to use another high pick and expect that rookie to play better any of the other options. More importantly, as I have said previously, I think those high picks need to be allocated for other positions.

What has Hollman shown you to think he's a better option?

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop, he is not under contract for the 2020 season, which is what all the discussion is centered around and you know it. I hope he will be, but cannot state he is.

In that case your argument is much weaker because we don't have a starting caliber ILB at all under contract, Bulaga needs to be under contract, we are losing 3 WRs that had significant playing time last year, we are losing our number 2 TE. Not to mention are best and only starting DL is on the last year of his rookie contract. If you consider Tramon as not being on the roster because he isn't under contract, than you severely lose on your position that CB is a major position of need in Green Bay.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In that case your argument is much weaker because we don't have a starting caliber ILB at all under contract, Bulaga needs to be under contract, we are losing 3 WRs that had significant playing time last year, we are losing our number 2 TE. Not to mention are best and only starting DL is on the last year of his rookie contract. If you consider Tramon as not being on the roster because he isn't under contract, than you severely lose on your position that CB is a major position of need in Green Bay.

Dean Lowry is a starter. We just don't okay DL very much.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would not be surprised at all to see a DB in the first 3 rounds

Oh no doubt, I expect a few DB's in the first round, just not selected by the Packers. ;)

I have mocked us going Love from Notre Dame in the 4th a few times. I suspect a DB will be picked between 3rd-5th.

Given that CB's are one of the higher paid positions, it wouldn't shock me to see the Packers spend a 3rd or 4th round pick on one, to prepare for the future. I think what they can do in Free Agency, with all positions including possibly CB, will effect that too.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i guess .500 is good when you're a batter, really good, but sometimes the misses can make it really funny LOL

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh no doubt, I expect a few DB's in the first round, just not selected by the Packers. ;)

Given that CB's are one of the higher paid positions, it wouldn't shock me to see the Packers spend a 3rd or 4th round pick on one, to prepare for the future. I think what they can do in Free Agency, with all positions including possibly CB, will effect that too.
someone is back on their funny pills I see :)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Um...read back I never made an argument. I was merely pointing out someone had said we only had 2 proven CBs that can start...you said 3. When it truly is just 2 going into 2020.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geronimo Allison was projected as a starter too in 2019. Having a bad starter, doesn't get you to the Super Bowl. Our biggest weakness in the NFC championship game was run defense, and our Quarter Back.

Lowry isn't a projected starter, he is one. He's also not a bad one. He's just average.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lowry isn't a projected starter, he is one. He's also not a bad one. He's just average.

Geronimo Allison was also a starter at one point. He wasn't a bad one, just average and injured. Should we ignore WR needs and ILB needs because we had warm bodies to fill them whether they were effective or not? With that thinking we should never fill a position as long as there is a starter there.

someone is back on their funny pills I see :)

You have me convinced Doctor Mondio. Such a great argument.

Um...read back I never made an argument. I was merely pointing out someone had said we only had 2 proven CBs that can start...you said 3. When it truly is just 2 going into 2020.

We have Josh as well and he can start. He isn't better than Williams. And once again Tramon Williams is a Green Bay Packer as of today. He is on our roster. Until he isn't, you don't have an argument that stands, full stop, end of sentence.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geronimo Allison was also a starter at one point. He wasn't a bad one, just average and injured. Should we ignore WR needs and ILB needs because we had warm bodies to fill them whether they were effective or not? With that thinking we should never fill a position as long as there is a starter there.

Geronimo was never average.

Saying Lowry is just a warm body is pretty ridiculous. I'm not even saying to ignore DL! Don't you people read?!

Btw, Tramon might be on the online roster, but his contract does not run through the 2020 season. He's an UFA. There is nobody that considers him a part of the current roster. Until he is re-signed, you can't just act like he's a part of the future.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geronimo was never average.

Saying Lowry is just a warm body is pretty ridiculous. I'm not even saying to ignore DL! Don't you people read?!

Btw, Tramon might be on the online roster, but his contract does not run through the 2020 season. He's an UFA. There is nobody that considers him a part of the current roster. Until he is re-signed, you can't just act like he's a part of the future.

If he isn't then we are losing 3 WRs, a TE, and various other positions. If you don't consider Tramon a part of the Packers, then it is safe to say that the CB position is much more solidified than almost every other postiiton on the defense. What part of that do you not understand? Are you say Geonimo was elite, above average or what? Last year the opinons were that Geronimo had a chance to be a solid WR 2 or 3. He is still on the roster too btw.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Geronimo is not part of the Packers this next season as of right now. If they resign him when his contract is set to expire include him and Tramon and any others. Only Crosby of those that are UFAs is set to be resigned.

Just in case you didn't know, the following are the UFAs we have that are NOT part of the 2020 roster (exception the known deal which will occur on Crosby):

Bulaga
Martinez
Tramon
Geronimo
Crosby*
Marcedes Lewis
Fackrell
Redmond
B.J. Goodson
Danny Vitale
Veldheer
Ervin
Ryan Grant
Jason Spriggs

NONE of these guys are officially part of the 2020 Green Bay Packers.

Reaction score
Gute has traded a first round pick 3 times in 2 years. It's a small sample size, but I think a trade is likely.

Unless one of the top WRs or a top ILB, I think we should trade back.
While I’m not necessarily proposing it’s absolutely necessary, I would also be prepared to move around.
I see several talented positions that should push well into day 2.
With a slight trade back of our 5th year option player (e.g, 3-10 spots) we could pick up the necessary draft assets to avoid dealing future selections.

As an example I’d be content with a start like this.#36(Indi):#57(Houston)#77(Denver who already has 2-3rd round selections)
#112 (f/Indi)

This is just one example of some minor but feasible trades using our #30,#62,94,138 and a late rounder.

I think this could get us a better shot at 4 players of a solid WR, OT, DT, LB, TE or RB that could have a solid chance of contributing somewhere this season, depending on our FA moves coming up.

I’d also be totally good with getting a solid 2nd tier WR at #57 overall and that would allow us to focus on OT, DT, LB at that slips some to that early second day pick #36 range.

I’ve always liked the idea of picking up resources and still having a night to sleep on the day 1 leftovers and contemplate the best 3-5 remaining players (although TT struck out on Biegel with this concept pick #1/day 3). IMO, the trick here is... draft players that are already married, not ready to get married... and don’t have broken feet :tup::whistling:

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he isn't then we are losing 3 WRs, a TE, and various other positions. If you don't consider Tramon a part of the Packers, then it is safe to say that the CB position is much more solidified than almost every other postiiton on the defense. What part of that do you not understand? Are you say Geonimo was elite, above average or what? Last year the opinons were that Geronimo had a chance to be a solid WR 2 or 3. He is still on the roster too btw.

I'm not quite sure why this is so confusing.

Right now, Tramon is not a GB Packer. Neither is Bulaga. Neither is Geronimo. So on and so forth. They all need to be either re-signed or replaced.

People thought Geronimo had the potential to be average if he improved. He did not improve. He has never been a good WR. Is that clear enough?

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure why this is so confusing.

Right now, Tramon is not a GB Packer. Neither is Bulaga. Neither is Geronimo. So on and so forth. They all need to be either re-signed or replaced.

People thought Geronimo had the potential to be average if he improved. He did not improve. He has never been a good WR. Is that clear enough?

That isn't confusing if you take that position. The confusing part is saying that one of our biggest needs accordign to posts prior is corner back where we have 4 good starters, and that we should commit early draft or fa resources position to the secondary as has been suggested earlier. The secondary and the running game is as strong as our defensive end rushing game. So that is what confuses me when you take off all people not under contract right now. Follow the conversation and you will see what I am saying. And it is easy to resign a 3rd CB that has produced for the last 2 years, and is completely on our roster right now.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That isn't confusing if you take that position. The confusing part is saying that one of our biggest needs accordign to posts prior is corner back where we have 4 good starters, and that we should commit early draft or fa resources position to the secondary as has been suggested earlier. The secondary and the running game is as strong as our defensive end rushing game. So that is what confuses me when you take off all people not under contract right now. Follow the conversation and you will see what I am saying. And it is easy to resign a 3rd CB that has produced for the last 2 years, and is completely on our roster right now.

We have 4 good starters at CB?! Who??

And if you have to re-sign a player to retain him, by default, he is not on your roster. I'll put it this way...Tramon Williams was signed for the 2018 and 2019 season. The 2019 season is over. He's an UFA. Starting March 16, he can sign with any team that he chooses. He is not on the roster.

Furthermore, signing a soon to be 37 year old to play CB is pretty risky.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I would recommend that you get a grasp of how free agency works in the NFL before you come with the takes about what the Packers need or don't need.

That probably sounds like I'm just making fun of you, but I mean that literally. Until you understand why we wouldn't be considering Tramon Williams and other unsigned 2020 free agents as part of the team, I don't see why anyone should consider your opinions.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would recommend that you get a grasp of how free agency works in the NFL before you come with the takes about what the Packers need or don't need.

That probably sounds like I'm just making fun of you, but I mean that literally. Until you understand why we wouldn't be considering Tramon Williams and other unsigned 2020 free agents as part of the team, I don't see why anyone should consider your opinions.

The official start of the 2020 NFL year is March 18 when free agency kicks off.

https://www.packers.com/team/players-roster/

For 15 more days those guys are still on our roster. I am technically correct. Free agency starts March 18th, they aren't free to deal with other teams until then.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Technically i'm sure everybody knows they are still technically on the roster, just like we all know it means nothing as there isn't a single practice, OTA, team get together, paintballing, bowling activity or game scheduled in that time and there is absolutely zero that will be done in that time and their contributions to this team will be zero unless they sign a new contract for when things start to matter again.

When people start basing arguments on things like this, they have lost most of their credibility because it's ****ing pointless. No **** he's under contract. Let me know his pass defenses under this contract for the next game will ya? Thanks bud.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Technically i'm sure everybody knows they are still technically on the roster, just like we all know it means nothing as there isn't a single practice, OTA, team get together, paintballing, bowling activity or game scheduled in that time and there is absolutely zero that will be done in that time and their contributions to this team will be zero unless they sign a new contract for when things start to matter again.

When people start basing arguments on things like this, they have lost most of their credibility because it's ******* pointless. No **** he's under contract. Let me know his pass defenses under this contract for the next game will ya? Thanks bud.

Technically, it appears that some people were not aware that I was correct. They were telling me that I need to learn how free agency works before my opinions should even be considered. Well technically they were wrong, and they need to learn how it works, and maybe their opinion shouldn't be considered. Before everyone jumped in on the technicalities, my point in the argument was me saying that Corner Back is not remotely our biggest need for this offseason. Corner back is not even remotely close to being a need on the roster. Im not your buddy, guy...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well those were some fun reads.....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts