9-7 good enough?

D

Deleted member 6794

Do you reallly think management hasn't been watching the games the entire season? Do you think Thompson is going to say, we're in perfect shape, no need to draft 8 guys this year or worry about re-signing anyone or doing anything at all? I'm going to take a 6 month vacation. :rolleyes:

Thompson most likely won´t go on a six month vacation but we all know he will take a short one in mid March.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you reallly think management hasn't been watching the games the entire season? Do you think Thompson is going to say, we're in perfect shape, no need to draft 8 guys this year or worry about re-signing anyone or doing anything at all? I'm going to take a 6 month vacation. :rolleyes:
Sadly I could see him saying this, except for the 6 month vacation part. He will use the injury excuse to tedsplain how they slumped earlier in the year when in reality there is not nearly enough talent to be a serious Super Bowl contender.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Matthews can't do anything then sit him down and let Elliot play. I mean is it that hard to use the more effective people on the roster? When the heck does Fackrell come back? Mix it up...let Ryan or Martinez play some olb and use Burnett in the middle some. If I was the opponent and I saw #52 in the field I'd run right at him. You can tell he's hurt.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another point for the coaching deficiencies argument? X% of (really good player when healthy) is better than Y% of his replacement - at what point is the substitution made?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another point for the coaching deficiencies argument? X% of (really good player when healthy) is better than Y% of his replacement - at what point is the substitution made?

When you don't hear his name called the entire game ...other than hearing his injuries being mentioned.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly I could see him saying this, except for the 6 month vacation part. He will use the injury excuse to tedsplain how they slumped earlier in the year when in reality there is not nearly enough talent to be a serious Super Bowl contender.

This. Even fully healthy, this isn't a SB team. Need significant upgrades defensively. Need to look into a new TE, WR next to Jordie, established RB, restructure Matthews contract where he gets paid by only playing a certain amount of games, get rid of Capers, find an established O.C. like Bevell or Mike Martz.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This. Even fully healthy, this isn't a SB team. Need significant upgrades defensively. Need to look into a new TE, WR next to Jordie, established RB, restructure Matthews contract where he gets paid by only playing a certain amount of games, get rid of Capers, find an established O.C. like Bevell or Mike Martz.

So what you are saying is "we are really close". :coffee:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Disagree totally. At full health, I definitely think this team is a top candidate to win the super bowl. We haven't seen a fully healthy team since August. It's been a team in varying degrees of disrepair all season.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's face it. Even if the Packers run the table and sneek into the playoffs, do they have a champion defense? Obviously not! This season is looking a lot like 2009 where the Packers made it into the Playoffs with a late run but we're thrashed by the Cardinals offense.
I still would like to see them in the playoff's, why wouldn't we?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
9-7 could potentially be enough, but I would much rather win the last 2 and seal it.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, not what I would call the best title. Considering many of us were hoping for a 13-3 season, it's tough to say it's "Good Enough." But, it could be if a little bit of help were given.

If Carolina can win tonight and then the NYG or someone else also beat the Redskins next week, we could get in over them once they hit 7 losses. If we end up tied with Tampa Bay, we'd potentially hold the tie breakers against them too. BUT ... that would mean we'd have to beat Minny this Saturday, but might still get in if we don't win in Ford Field.

But honestly, the best way to do it is to do it by winning out.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well, not what I would call the best title. Considering many of us were hoping for a 13-3 season, it's tough to say it's "Good Enough." But, it could be if a little bit of help were given.

If Carolina can win tonight and then the NYG or someone else also beat the Redskins next week, we could get in over them once they hit 7 losses. If we end up tied with Tampa Bay, we'd potentially hold the tie breakers against them too. BUT ... that would mean we'd have to beat Minny this Saturday, but might still get in if we don't win in Ford Field.

But honestly, the best way to do it is to do it by winning out.
Just getting there would be great, considering where we were after week 11, but yes. Winning out would certainly be the preferred method.

I would be a bit disappointed to not have a home game in the wild card round at the very least. But at the same time, what I would hate is to draw the Giants in the 1st round. I want no part of that team right now.

All that being said, let's just get there and then worry about the rest. I know most if not all will forget all about not finishing 13-3 if we were to make a SB run. 9 or 10 wins and a SB beats the hell out of 13-3 and division round exit.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers clinching scenarios:

Clinch division with win vs. Minnesota and win @ Detroit
OR
Win @ Detroit and Detroit loss at Dallas

If we lose vs. Minnesota but beat Detroit, and Dallas does not beat Detroit, we need 1 Redskin loss (@ Bears and vs. Giants), 1 loss minimum from Tampa Bay depending on how strength of victory ends (@ Saints and vs. Panthers) and a Viking loss vs. Bears to win a wild card.

If we beat Minnesota and lose at Detroit, we need all of the all of the above to win a Wild Card except a Viking loss to the Bears.

Reaction score
Packers clinching scenarios:

Clinch division with win vs. Minnesota and win @ Detroit
OR
Win @ Detroit and Detroit loss at Dallas

If we lose vs. Minnesota but beat Detroit, and Dallas does not beat Detroit, we need 1 Redskin loss (@ Bears and vs. Giants), 1 loss minimum from Tampa Bay depending on how strength of victory ends (@ Saints and vs. Panthers) and a Viking loss vs. Bears to win a wild card.

If we beat Minnesota and lose at Detroit, we need all of the all of the above to win a Wild Card except a Viking loss to the Bears.
I'm not sure it was mentioned but this was the perfect week for us.
GB won of course, then in the NFC
Detroit, Minnesota, Tampa and Washington all lost. That's an anomaly

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question will be if our offense can run score for score with the opponent. Jordy is looking faster and faster every week. I think the offense have enough weapons to run score for score with any team.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure it was mentioned but this was the perfect week for us.
GB won of course, then in the NFC
Detroit, Minnesota, Tampa and Washington all lost. That's an anomaly
Thats basicly how we got into the playoffs with a 9-7 record, the year we won the superbowl.. Right? I thought we needed like 4 teams to lose to make playoffs... Then we beat the top 3 seeds on the road to get to the superbowl.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team dug a hole, and is in the midst of digging out of it. My opinion? There should've never been a hole to dig out off. Colts, Redskins, Titans games were unacceptable on many levels. Those are teams we should beat.

I guess what I'm saying is even if this team makes the playoffs, they still under achieved. Goodness they almost blew it against the Bears today. I truly hope this "run" doesn't trick management into thinking all is well.

Im normally an optimist. However, the greatness of Rodgers shouldn't shield TT or MM of blame. I have zero doubt MM will be back. I'm fine with that. Capers still has to go, the D needs fixing too.

Unfortunately l still don't think this is a SB team. That D was atrocious today.

The defense has also been good for 15 of the last 16 quarters.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Matthews can't do anything then sit him down and let Elliot play.

Elliot suffered a hand injury early in the game vs. the Bears.

Need to look into a new TE, WR next to Jordie, established RB, restructure Matthews contract where he gets paid by only playing a certain amount of games, get rid of Capers, find an established O.C. like Bevell or Mike Martz.

The Packers don't need to bring in another offensive coordinator but have to either get rid of Clements or Bennett as it seems to me that there's no need for two guys basically having the same responsibilities.

Disagree totally. At full health, I definitely think this team is a top candidate to win the super bowl. We haven't seen a fully healthy team since August. It's been a team in varying degrees of disrepair all season.

There aren't any teams playing at full health at this time of the season. The Packers have only looked like a Super Bowl contender once in 2016 while dismantling the Seahawks. They have to perform on that level consistently though to win another title.

If we end up tied with Tampa Bay, we'd potentially hold the tie breakers against them too.

That's extremely unpredictable as a lot of games still to be played affect the strength of victory and schedule tie breaker. Currently the Packers ared tied with the Bucs in SOV percentage with Green Bay having a marginal edge in SOS percentage (.510 to .505).

I would be a bit disappointed to not have a home game in the wild card round at the very least. But at the same time, what I would hate is to draw the Giants in the 1st round. I want no part of that team right now.

Washington's loss all but guaranteed the Giants will end up as the fifth seed in the NFC, meaning the Packers would most likely face them in the wild card round.

Thats basicly how we got into the playoffs with a 9-7 record, the year we won the superbowl.. Right? I thought we needed like 4 teams to lose to make playoffs... Then we beat the top 3 seeds on the road to get to the superbowl.

The Packers made the playoffs with a 10-6 record in 2010. Interestingly just like right now the Packers controlled their own destiny with two games left six years ago after the Bucs lost to the Lions in week 15.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
is too easy.
Even fully healthy, this isn't a SB team.
You can't know this.
Need significant upgrades defensively.
Don't know until they are all healthy
Need to look into a new TE
Not feeling the love for Cook?
WR next to Jordie
Maybe an eventual replacement but what they got is good enough
established RB
Why?
restructure Matthews contract where he gets paid by only playing a certain amount of games,
If you were Matthews would you agree to that?
get rid of Capers
We have a thread advocating this for about the past 5 years. I've stated my case there.
find an established O.C. like Bevell or Mike Martz.
McCarthy is his own OC. Doesn't matter if these guys, Holmgren, Walsh, Moe, Larry, or Curly are there. BTW, doesn't bevel already have the same job elsewhere? He ain't going to get permission to leave there to come here.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

is too easy.
You can't know this.
Don't know until they are all healthy
Not feeling the love for Cook?
Maybe an eventual replacement but what they got is good enough
Why?
We have a thread advocating this for about the past 5 years. I've stated my case there.
McCarthy is his own OC. Doesn't matter if these guys, Holmgren, Walsh, Moe, Larry, or Curly are there. BTW, doesn't bevel already have the same job elsewhere? He ain't going to get permission to leave there to come here.

Poppa, were you ever a politician ?? I love the way you just reeled off those answers.....lol :tup:

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, the Packers better make Matthews agree to renegotiate his contract as his performance doesn´t even close to justify him counting $15.2 million against the cap next season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the Packers better make Matthews agree to renegotiate his contract as his performance doesn´t even close to justify him counting $15.2 million against the cap next season.
I agree.... but I'm afraid he holds a lot of the cards.... he may be too expensive to trade..... and I can't see them cutting him outright... but who knows