49ers roster

D

Deleted member 6794

he really only exposed us, and a capers scheme that refused to change and adjust. Otherwise it was the 49ers defense that saved their bacon in many games. Kap is a gimmick that has been exposed and people are now countering it......only a matter of time before he gets smoke checked like RGIII did.... then he will be forced to actually try to play QB.

He had 130 rushing yards in the NFC championship game vs. the Seahawks as well.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, he sure did..... and when some LB or nasty DB clips his knee cap loose I will laugh my butt off.

Don't think I'd wish injury on anybody. Thats for Bears fans. Kaep is more than just a gimmick, let's be real--he's got the arm and the legs. He's got a long way to go with on-the-field vision and decisions.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I didn't wish that now did I? I just said I would laugh.....mainly because that running around like forest gump crap will get ya killed sooner or later and the fact that they dumped Alex smith for him.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some are using San Fran as a great model for how to roster a long term winning NFL team. I beg to differ. Some perspective is needed here.

The Niners are 6 million under the 2014 CAP. Free agent Anquan Boldin—as one player—made as much in 2013 as the 49ers have in TOTAL cap spending for all of 2014 ($6 million). They have 12 players becoming free agents in 2014. They ALSO have All-Pro left guard Mike Iupati, Michael Crabtree, Aldon Smith and Kaeper****face all become free agents in 2015.

To say that the Niners are going to be challenged to keep this roster is an understatement. They're one of the most cash poor teams in the NFL going into next year and they have tons of guys to get signed yet!

About that debate over signing free agents. Hmmmmmmmmmm... Carlos Rogers will make a team-high $8.09 million in 2014. No. 1 corner or not, Rogers earned the 71st overall rating (out of 110 CBs) by Pro Football Focus. Can we really consider this NOT over-paying for a player? I wonder if the Niners, as we sit here today, are happy they have him or would they rather have that $8 million?

You know what this Niners situation feels like to me with all this chest thumping over these great free agent signings and this amazing roster? Can you say DALLAS COWBOYS? Thanks to equally poor and reckless roster management, Dallas enters the 2014 season $23.19 million OVER the cap.

Say what you want Packer fans. This season we lost on a last second field goal to this "amazing" San Fran team with half of our players on I.R.. Going into 2014, unlike the Niners, we have money to wrap up some players and sign some FA if TT goes there... but no matter how you look at it, I don't know how anyone can't think the Pack is in MUCH better shape to roster a better team than San Fran for the next several years.

Of the 4 free-agents you mentioned I wouldn't be surprised to find that they let Aldon Smith and maybe even Iupati go.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you mean by "right now"? Right this second, or once both teams have their free agents hit the market? Did you see that list of guys they have due? For God's sake, almost all of their top players are either FA this year or are going to be in their last year.

The question is, would you rather have our cap space and the players we have wrapped up/under contract for next year or the niner's cap space and the players they have wrapped up/under contract for next year? I would rather have the Pack's situation and it's not even close. Compound that by the fact it is Kapernutbag's last year. Here you have a guy that's about the 20th rated passer in the NFL. This is a guy that's looked worse than Randy Wright at times this season and if you stop his legs, he's not very good at all. Yet, his hype will drive his value through the roof. As far as a value rating, Kapertwatfart will be way over-priced.

I will admit I hate the guy but I can honestly say that's a classic case of being strapped with a bad situation in an NFL QB. Not much you can do. Gotta sign him cuz he's your guy but they know damn well there will be better QBs making much less in the NFL!
I don't like K either, and they just way overpaid for him, making it even harder to hang onto many of the FAs in 2015. I'll take our QB, our roster, and our cap situation over the niners, any time. And no amount of money may get Aldon Smith back, and that's a personal tragedy, hate the niners or not.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you mean by "right now"? Right this second, or once both teams have their free agents hit the market? Did you see that list of guys they have due? For God's sake, almost all of their top players are either FA this year or are going to be in their last year.

The question is, would you rather have our cap space and the players we have wrapped up/under contract for next year or the niner's cap space and the players they have wrapped up/under contract for next year? I would rather have the Pack's situation and it's not even close. Compound that by the fact it is Kapernutbag's last year. Here you have a guy that's about the 20th rated passer in the NFL. This is a guy that's looked worse than Randy Wright at times this season and if you stop his legs, he's not very good at all. Yet, his hype will drive his value through the roof. As far as a value rating, Kapertwatfart will be way over-priced.

I will admit I hate the guy but I can honestly say that's a classic case of being strapped with a bad situation in an NFL QB. Not much you can do. Gotta sign him cuz he's your guy but they know damn well there will be better QBs making much less in the NFL!
Oh and love your variations on Krapernick's name! Well done.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't like K either, and they just way overpaid for him, making it even harder to hang onto many of the FAs in 2015. I'll take our QB, our roster, and our cap situation over the niners, any time. And no amount of money may get Aldon Smith back, and that's a personal tragedy, hate the niners or not.

I like our cap situation better than the Niners as well, but aside of Crabtree and Iupati they don´t have a lot of important free agents coming up in 2015. We´ve lost four in a row to them, so as long as we don´t beat them at least once I´ll assume their roster is more talented than the Packers one.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like our cap situation better than the Niners as well, but aside of Crabtree and Iupati they don´t have a lot of important free agents coming up in 2015. We´ve lost four in a row to them, so as long as we don´t beat them at least once I´ll assume their roster is more talented than the Packers one.
Yeah the Niners have owned the Pack for the last three games. The difference, IMO, is the defense. Same thing the year GB was 15 - 1, only to experience one and done against the NYG, again with a better defense. Hopefully things change in GB so we can be more competitive with the Niners. Certainly tired of losing to them!

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah the Niners have owned the Pack for the last three games. The difference, IMO, is the defense. Same thing the year GB was 15 - 1, only to experience one and done against the NYG, again with a better defense. Hopefully things change in GB so we can be more competitive with the Niners. Certainly tired of losing to them!

Yeah, there´s no doubt in my mind that the 2011 Giants and the Niners over the last two years had superior defenses compared to the Packers.

IMO the offense deserves some of the blame for losing to the Giants though, turning the ball over four times and last season´s loss to the Niners when the defense played surprisingly well.

H

HardRightEdge

The Ravens can cut Flacco whenever they want as well, but if they do it after the 2015 season for example the move would result in more than $25 million dead money counting against the cap. So realistically, there´s no way they can release Flacco before the 2018 season.
Bingo.

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprised I didn't stumble upon this topic sooner...haven't been around in while though

In regards to our roster and how we deal with the cap, I think what people overlook about how Baalke handles the roster is that he's proactive, not reactive as a lot of GMs are. It's interesting to see Baalke work the draft to deal with cap issues a year or two ahead of time and keep the team from being forced into many stopgap measures or from having to deal with agents from a position of weakness. He didn't wait for Crabs to hit the market then go trade for Stevie Johnson. He didn't wait for Crabs to tear his Achilles and then trade for Anquan Boldin. If a deal makes sense and it adds talent at a price he sees fit, then a deal will get done.

But most importantly he uses free agency as a tool to supplement the roster. He uses the draft to find the talent with hopes that the coaching staff can mold said talent into viable contributors. Most of our cap is tied up in signing the guys WE drafted, not outsiders who we brought in. And we've already lost some talent. Dashon Goldson, Delaine Walker, and Donte Whitner were guys we couldn't keep because we refuse to let the free agent market dictate how we do business.

Colts gave a back-up like Ricky Jean-Francois starter money. Baalke gave him a offer that wasnt nearly as comparable. Instead he goes out and signs Dorsey, for a fraction of the cost, and he has a very good year for us last year. Whitner came here as a very modest free-agent signing, played at a Pro Bowl level 2 out of the 3 years he was a Niner, and cashed in this year. These guys were not huge free agent splashes but solid, smart supplements to the roster. They worked because Baalke just has very good sense of the personnel landsacpe around the league and what castaways from other teams could thrive in our systems. Nobody wanted Whitner when he left Buffalo. Same with Rogers when he left the Redskins. Dorsey wasn't a guy teams were clamoring for. Baalke has a eye for other team's trash and how they fit. We've had success into turning these under-the-radar signings into key contributors. And at a fraction of what other teams are signing our own guys for.

I think Chris Cook will be another one. I was hoping we would give him a long look in free agency and we ended up signing him for the vet's minimum. I know he looked completely awful at times for the Vikes but he's a guy I beleive in our scheme, could be a nice role player in our sub-package. I think he could be beneficial, lined up, over the slot against some of the athletic TEs we have to face. And so far in OTAs, he's been getting rave reviews with how good he looks and he how gives the secondary added length and athleticism. Baalke may have found another bargain that could play huge rewards in the end. Just hope he can stay healthy, which has always a big question with him going back to his college days.

But back to the topic, if you have to pick and choose which Pro Bowl and All-Pro players you try to extend, chances are your drafting good players. Its a good problem to have and one I hope continues. The key is to keep drafting well and developing talent. Baalke has had success with the draft, as well as hitting on some UDFAs like Boone, Brock, and TJE just to name a few. As long as the personnel guys keep finding them, and the staff keeps developing them, we'll be ok I think.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Surprised I didn't stumble upon this topic sooner...haven't been around in while though

In regards to our roster and how we deal with the cap, I think what people overlook about how Baalke handles the roster is that he's proactive, not reactive as a lot of GMs are. It's interesting to see Baalke work the draft to deal with cap issues a year or two ahead of time and keep the team from being forced into many stopgap measures or from having to deal with agents from a position of weakness. He didn't wait for Crabs to hit the market then go trade for Stevie Johnson. He didn't wait for Crabs to tear his Achilles and then trade for Anquan Boldin. If a deal makes sense and it adds talent at a price he sees fit, then a deal will get done.

But most importantly he uses free agency as a tool to supplement the roster. He uses the draft to find the talent with hopes that the coaching staff can mold said talent into viable contributors. Most of our cap is tied up in signing the guys WE drafted, not outsiders who we brought in. And we've already lost some talent. Dashon Goldson, Delaine Walker, and Donte Whitner were guys we couldn't keep because we refuse to let the free agent market dictate how we do business.

Colts gave a back-up like Ricky Jean-Francois starter money. Baalke gave him a offer that wasnt nearly as comparable. Instead he goes out and signs Dorsey, for a fraction of the cost, and he has a very good year for us last year. Whitner came here as a very modest free-agent signing, played at a Pro Bowl level 2 out of the 3 years he was a Niner, and cashed in this year. These guys were not huge free agent splashes but solid, smart supplements to the roster. They worked because Baalke just has very good sense of the personnel landsacpe around the league and what castaways from other teams could thrive in our systems. Nobody wanted Whitner when he left Buffalo. Same with Rogers when he left the Redskins. Dorsey wasn't a guy teams were clamoring for. Baalke has a eye for other team's trash and how they fit. We've had success into turning these under-the-radar signings into key contributors. And at a fraction of what other teams are signing our own guys for.

I think Chris Cook will be another one. I was hoping we would give him a long look in free agency and we ended up signing him for the vet's minimum. I know he looked completely awful at times for the Vikes but he's a guy I beleive in our scheme, could be a nice role player in our sub-package. I think he could be beneficial, lined up, over the slot against some of the athletic TEs we have to face. And so far in OTAs, he's been getting rave reviews with how good he looks and he how gives the secondary added length and athleticism. Baalke may have found another bargain that could play huge rewards in the end. Just hope he can stay healthy, which has always a big question with him going back to his college days.

But back to the topic, if you have to pick and choose which Pro Bowl and All-Pro players you try to extend, chances are your drafting good players. Its a good problem to have and one I hope continues. The key is to keep drafting well and developing talent. Baalke has had success with the draft, as well as hitting on some UDFAs like Boone, Brock, and TJE just to name a few. As long as the personnel guys keep finding them, and the staff keeps developing them, we'll be ok I think.
Good post. It's clear that current 49's management is doing a very good job in resurrecting the franchise. I hope we don't see more teams follow this blueprint, but I suspect we will as some of the guys that are in these organizations are moving into GM slots around the league.

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post. It's clear that current 49's management is doing a very good job in resurrecting the franchise. I hope we don't see more teams follow this blueprint, but I suspect we will as some of the guys that are in these organizations are moving into GM slots around the league.

Its nothing new or earth-shattering what Baalke is doing. He built the team the way Parcells built his teams....inside/out. Physically stout and hard-nosed in the trenches is where it all starts. And from there you can go in a number of directions, depending on the coaching philosophy.

Here's a pretty good read on our GM. TT even make a guest appearance in the article.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/10/nfl-san-francisco-49ers-general-manager-trent-baalke/

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO too much time spent on the 49ers in the Packers forum. Besides if we're going to spend time on another team shouldn't it be the team we should really worry about - the Seahawks? :D

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok but is it smart to pay your QB an 18m average if you aren't running a pass oriented offense? They may have gotten a team friendly contract out of him but it's not really a great deal for them unless they actually start using him more.

You are making the assumption that all a QB does is pass.

So many people criticize Kap by saying he's only good because he has a good running game, but they ignore the fact that he himself is a large part of that running game. It's not only the yards he picks up with his legs but he threat to run on options, etc that result in more yards on the ground. "Actually start using him more"? That's foolish. They use him plenty...on run plays AND pass plays.

Also you forget how BAD the 49er receivers were early in the year last year. Boldin was great, but teams would double or triple him and nobody else could get open (and Vernon was out or hobbled with a bad hamstring).

Now the 49ers have Crab back, Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Brandon Lloyd (tho not sure he makes the roster), Quinton Patton (was hurt most of last year) and Bruce Ellington. IE, while he had few targets last year, that will NOT be an issue this year. you wanna see what I'm talking about? Go look and see what Kaps numbers looked like before and after Crabtree returned last year.

I'm looking over this thread that appears to be all about how the 49ers have a coming apocalypse coming in the form of the salary cap. That's really comical. Have any of you been watching the draft? Have you noticed the 49ers have selected 22 players in the last 2 years. Have you noticed the number of medical redshirts they've had? Tank Carradine. Marcus Lattimore. Brandon Thomas. Keith Reaser. Trey Millard. All guys with Knee injuries that should have been selected much higher than they were picked and have been put on the shelf until they get healthy.

The 49ers won't pay top dollar for guys they see as over valued (see Goldon, Dashon and Whitner, Donte). They WILL pay guys VERY early when they think they are good and they can get the contract structure they want (Bowman, Anthony Davis, Bruce Miller, Colin Kaepernick). They don't overpay and draft well to replace the guys they lose. Eric Reid is BETTER than Goldson and 1/4 the price.

Age? Gore getting old. That's why they have Carlos Hyde, Marcus Lattimore, Kendall Hunter, and LaMichael James waiting in the wings. Justin Smith long in the tooth? Probably why they took Tank Carradine and several lower picks these past two years that play that position. Boldin getting up there and Crab a FA? Probably why the traded for Stevie Johnson and drafted Patton and Ellington. Iupati might leave? Good thing they took two guards in the 3rd round this year in anticipation of that, bith projected much higher than the 3rd.

I get why many of you want to believe the 49ers are about to fall apart. I would imagine seeing your seasons begin and end with losses to the same team for 2 years would get old.

I hate to break this to you though...the 49ers aren't going anywhere. We have our own fish to fry in the teams in our own division.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me it just comes down to this: the 49ers are solid and will continue to be solid, especially since other teams seem to want to gift them with high draft picks year after year.

The 49ers "matching up against us" is not the big problem, rather it is: a) the sub-par Packers' defense for the last 3 years as many of you have pointed out, and b) I haven't seen a dominant performance by the Packers' offense in the playoffs since the SB.

The highly rated offense didn't do it in the playoffs. They were ok, decent even in some games, but in others they were disappointing. And the defense? It could have been SF, could have been Seattle, could have been Denver, hell, even Philadelphia or Carolina--any of those teams would have had success against this defense last year.

Once this defense starts showing that it can play, then I'll worry about match ups with SF. Until then, unless something bad happens over in the Bay area, they'll be better than us.

D

Deleted member 6794

I haven't seen a dominant performance by the Packers' offense in the playoffs since the SB.

The highly rated offense didn't do it in the playoffs. They were ok, decent even in some games, but in others they were disappointing. And the defense? It could have been SF, could have been Seattle, could have been Denver, hell, even Philadelphia or Carolina--any of those teams would have had success against this defense last year.

A lot of people seem to forget about the offense not being great during the last three postseasons.

Last season they gained only 20 points and 281 yards vs. the Niners and weren´t able to pound in the ball from the 9-yard line with the game on the line. While the team put up 31 points in the 2012 loss to the Niners, the defense scored seven of those by Shields pick six and another seven came in the last minute with the game already decided. In 2011, the offense turned the ball over four times and only scored 13 points before a meaningless TD with less than five minutes to play.

While there´s no doubt the defense needs to improve the offense has to play better during the playoffs as well.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of people seem to forget about the offense not being great during the last three postseasons.

Last season they gained only 20 points and 281 yards vs. the Niners and weren´t able to pound in the ball from the 9-yard line with the game on the line. While the team put up 31 points in the 2012 loss to the Niners, the defense scored seven of those by Shields pick six and another seven came in the last minute with the game already decided. In 2011, the offense turned the ball over four times and only scored 13 points before a meaningless TD with less than five minutes to play.

While there´s no doubt the defense needs to improve the offense has to play better during the playoffs as well.

Its been a topic a few of us have tried to point out only to hear how we need to fix the defense as a rebuttle.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the Packer offense will be better if the defense can get us some 3 and outs this year. That would put immense pressure on opponents to try and keep up with us. We have seen very few 3 and outs the last few years, or so it seems.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the Packer offense will be better if the defense can get us some 3 and outs this year. That would put immense pressure on opponents to try and keep up with us. We have seen very few 3 and outs the last few years, or so it seems.

No doubt that would help, but it works vice versa as well and the offense didn´t help out the defense vs. the Niners during last year´s playoffs. They had four 3 and outs and accumulated a total of six yards on three possessions in the first quarter.

Members online

Latest posts