49ers roster

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NOMOFO: I don't quite agree about Kaepernick. Yes he made some mistakes which does expose his inability at this stage to read defenses and find the open receivers but Kaepernick also ran for 130 yards and made some big plays. He has time to improve. The athleticism is there, the skills are there. He needs to become a smarter quarterback. Will he ever be a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady for reading defenses? Not bloody likely, but a little improvement would make him a near-top QB.

On the other hand, I saw some things about Russell Wilson that reminded me too much of AR, namely, Wilson was too often afraid to pull the trigger and throw the damn ball. Instead of throwing into a risky situation, he held onto it just like AR does and tried to scramble all over the field and he didn't make half the plays that Kaepernick did. SFs pass rush was wicked yesterday, and Wilson needed to get rid of the ball quick and he wouldn't do it, and the excuse was probably the same that many people here use about Rodgers: receivers weren't open. Well sometimes you need to take a chance or two.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NOMOFO: I don't quite agree about Kaepernick. Yes he made some mistakes which does expose his inability at this stage to read defenses and find the open receivers but Kaepernick also ran for 130 yards and made some big plays. He has time to improve. The athleticism is there, the skills are there. He needs to become a smarter quarterback. Will he ever be a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady for reading defenses? Not bloody likely, but a little improvement would make him a near-top QB.

On the other hand, I saw some things about Russell Wilson that reminded me too much of AR, namely, Wilson was too often afraid to pull the trigger and throw the damn ball. Instead of throwing into a risky situation, he held onto it just like AR does and tried to scramble all over the field and he didn't make half the plays that Kaepernick did. SFs pass rush was wicked yesterday, and Wilson needed to get rid of the ball quick and he wouldn't do it, and the excuse was probably the same that many people here use about Rodgers: receivers weren't open. Well sometimes you need to take a chance or two.

ahhhhhhhhhhh... expat... with all due respect...again the irony strikes me and I find your comments jaw dropping... which QB had two interceptions that killed his team?

This is the exact same Rodgers-Brent debate all over again. Let's not go there. Regarding this entire debate over "taking chances" verses "playing reckless"... let's just say that's differing opinions and leave it at that. :)

Congrats to Russel Wilson and his team for advancing! lol

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahhhhhhhhhhh... expat... with all due respect...again the irony strikes me and I find your comments jaw dropping... which QB had two interceptions that killed his team?

This is the exact same Rodgers-Brent debate all over again. Let's not go there. Regarding this entire debate over "taking chances" verses "playing reckless"... let's just say that's differing opinions and leave it at that. :)

Congrats to Russel Wilson and his team for advancing! lol

But I will go there. Kaepernick's 2 INTs were not the result of panic throws, they were the result of him being locked in on his intended receiver and ignoring every one else. Russell Wilson did very little in the game except for that one throw on the off-sides for a TD.

It was Russell who was under pressure, and he did not respond to it well. He tried to hang on to the ball and scramble away, which resulted in nada and an intentional grounding penalty.

here's the difference: Manning and Brady solve this issue by going to the short pass. They use the short passing game to set up the longer passing game. Rodgers rarely uses the short pass. Instead he's always looking for the bigger play downfield and if he doesn't have it, he hangs on to the ball in the hopes of making something out of it. I'm not saying Rodgers should turn into a gunslinger, but his choice to hang on to the ball rather than get rid of it is a limitation to his game. of course you don't throw it into double coverage, but that's not the only choice.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On that last Kaepernick Int, throwing to Crabtree on the All-Pro Sherman, with a LB trailing them (he the one who made the actual Int), Kaepernick had 2 guys short/left being covered by 1 Seattle defender.
THAT was the area a smart QB with vision would have targeted.
They could have completed a simple pass and gotten 5-15 yards there.

But he, like Favre so many times before him, HAD THE PRE-CONCEIVED IDEA he WAS going to throw it to his guy to "make a play" no matter what.
That was a bad mental decision, and like Favre, in the big playoff games, THOSE MISTAKES CREATE BAD LEGACIES that last forever.

There was still a lot of time left, with 2 timeouts left. Kaepernick for sure should have targeted #11 Quinton Patton who was all alone right away at the 19-yard line, left sideline.... could have gotten an easy 5-10 yards and out of bounds, or broken tackles for more, and then called TO.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-...6/NFC-Championship-Can-t-Miss-Play-Ball-Hawks

But like Farve so many times, HE MADE UP HIS MIND in the huddle he was going to his guy Crabtree no matter what.
= Fatal.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

1. Where is everyone that wanted us to be like SF?
2. Their fans are freaking out on their forums saying their window is closing (is this a trend of teams that lose in the post season two or more season in a row?)
3. They are who we thought they were.

You telling me they have their OWN forum ?? :eek:

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I will go there. Kaepernick's 2 INTs were not the result of panic throws, they were the result of him being locked in on his intended receiver and ignoring every one else. Russell Wilson did very little in the game except for that one throw on the off-sides for a TD.

It was Russell who was under pressure, and he did not respond to it well. He tried to hang on to the ball and scramble away, which resulted in nada and an intentional grounding penalty.

here's the difference: Manning and Brady solve this issue by going to the short pass. They use the short passing game to set up the longer passing game. Rodgers rarely uses the short pass. Instead he's always looking for the bigger play downfield and if he doesn't have it, he hangs on to the ball in the hopes of making something out of it. I'm not saying Rodgers should turn into a gunslinger, but his choice to hang on to the ball rather than get rid of it is a limitation to his game. of course you don't throw it into double coverage, but that's not the only choice.

"Rodgers rarely uses the short pass." I just don't even know how somebody that watches the Packers all year can even begin to believe that. I'm not sure anyone in the NFL does a better job using the short passing game. In fact, the Packers often use their short passing game like and/or instead of a running game.

This is exactly like the debate over rostering and TT. You aren't happy that Rodgers shatters all time passing records with every passing year... you want more out of him, yet you have no perception of what you are requesting as it relates to his success.

I'm not gonna keep re-visiting this. I'll keep letting Rodgers get talked about as the best QB in the NFL by his peers and keep watching him win games.

Again...can he hold the ball too long at times? YEP! Separate issue... and he doesn't do it enough that it's a problem.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Rodgers rarely uses the short pass." I just don't even know how somebody that watches the Packers all year can even begin to believe that. I'm not sure anyone in the NFL does a better job using the short passing game. In fact, the Packers often use their short passing game like and/or instead of a running game.

I think maybe it's you that needs to watch some film. Better than Manning or Brady? You've got to be kidding me.

When I say "short pass" I mean very quick passes. Brady and Manning were throwing them all day. And as far as your last comment, you know that this year that wasn't true. The Packers ran the ball a whole lot more and didn't use short passing as a substitute. As a matter of fact, it was run and drop-back passing. Very few screens, very few quick sideline passes, a few short (not mid) crossing routes over the middle and a few dumps to the RB, but they were almost an afterthought to the game plan. The quick passing game was virtually non-existent from what I remember. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, point out where.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might surprise some but Seattle has repeatedly struck out on WR and for years over paid players. Sidney rice is brought up. Now they have to pay their guys, wonder how much this will cost them.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might surprise some but Seattle has repeatedly struck out on WR and for years over paid players. Sidney rice is brought up. Now they have to pay their guys, wonder how much this will cost them.

Don't forget trading their first round pick last year and this year, plus two other mid-round picks, for the right to pay Percy Harvin A LOT of money for a total production of 1.25 games. And the Vikes used their first round pick to grab Cordarelle Patterson. Imagine him on that team!

Kind of like the Julius Jones trade hampering the Falcons ability to fill out the rest of their roster with those crucial mid-round selections, this trade could result in that as well. Especially when they start paying their players.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget trading their first round pick last year and this year, plus two other mid-round picks, for the right to pay Percy Harvin A LOT of money for a total production of 1.25 games. And the Vikes used their first round pick to grab Cordarelle Patterson. Imagine him on that team!

Kind of like the Julius Jones trade hampering the Falcons ability to fill out the rest of their roster with those crucial mid-round selections, this trade could result in that as well. Especially when they start paying their players.

A productive harvin is the most dynamic player on the field. Last season before he got hurt he was having a better season than AP.

It's the issue of trading for an injured player. He's been nothing but a distraction and I saw a report he doesn't work that hard either. Some serious concerns with a guy they gave up a ton for and paid big $.

I wonder if Sherman will hold out

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes sir. The NFL is littered with "also-ran" franchises that are where they are for that very reason, but some fans will STILL beg Ted to play those games. It really is amazing.

I remember the same exact debate ragging when the Vikes traded for Jared Allen and gave up a first and two thirds. The draft picks were only a portion of the story. Allen's contract was a year from up so they then had to get him signed right away...and ended up paying him the highest contract ever on that side of the ball. The Vikes got pretty lucky with him, given that there was never any major career impacting injuries with him and I STILL would not consider it a "great" signing. It certainly set them back in other ways. What if they had those three picks and all of that money? Would they still be 580 years and waiting on a Super Bowl win? lol

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes sir. The NFL is littered with "also-ran" franchises that are where they are for that very reason, but some fans will STILL beg Ted to play those games. It really is amazing.

I remember the same exact debate ragging when the Vikes traded for Jared Allen and gave up a first and two thirds. The draft picks were only a portion of the story. Allen's contract was a year from up so they then had to get him signed right away...and ended up paying him the highest contract ever on that side of the ball. The Vikes got pretty lucky with him, given that there was never any major career impacting injuries with him and I STILL would not consider it a "great" signing. It certainly set them back in other ways. What if they had those three picks and all of that money? Would they still be 580 years and waiting on a Super Bowl win? lol

I could go either way on that signing but he deserves credit for being one hell of a player. They got lucky his drinking problem ended

There was a stretch where no defensive player terrorized us more than Allen. He has Arods number for awhile there.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could go either way on that signing but he deserves credit for being one hell of a player. They got lucky his drinking problem ended

There was a stretch where no defensive player terrorized us more than Allen. He has Arods number for awhile there.
agreed as far as him being a player. ..and like I mentioned in another thread...I actually respect him at this point.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No. I'm well aware we are going to have to pay Kap. Again, we already have our corner stones locked up. Kap's extension won't be as crippling as it is for other teams. Plus, I expect Kap to get closer to Cutler money than Flacco

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ick-six-year-extension-san-francisco/9971863/

NFL Network reported the deal is worth up to $126 million with $61 million in guarantees, which would surpass Drew Brees' $60.5 million

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/A-comprehensive-look-at-Joe-Flaccos-contract.html

Joe Flacco’s six-year, $120.6 million contract makes him the NFL’s highest paid player. .

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/10231142/jay-cutler-chicago-bears-signs-7-year-contract

Cutler's deal is expected to eclipse the $17.6 million average the Detroit Lions gave Matthew Stafford in July. It also includes at least $50 million in guaranteed money, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

This still not crippling? Or real crippling?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Niner fan said the contract would be more like Cutler and not Flacco

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/6/...t-extension-includes-12-million-signing-bonus

During his press conference, Kap said that the deal was structured so the team could re-sign some key players.

Given that he is potentially only looking at a $2.4 million increase, that would seem to leave the 49ers with a little under $6 million in cap space in 2014.

They'll save some of that for injury necessity, but there is still some money for potential contract extensions.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Niners have a lot of big names entering free agency within the
Next two years and this contract will hurt them some in trying to
Resign everyone.

Crabtree
A. Smith
Iupati
Gore
V. Davis
A. Boone
R. McDonald
G. Dorsey

D

Deleted member 6794

This still not crippling? Or real crippling?

You have to realize the total numbers that are released don´t mean as much as it would in other leagues as a lot of it isn´t fully guaranteed.

Let´s take a closer look at the details:

The only money fully guaranteed in this deal amounts to a little bit more than $13 million. While the base salary ascends every single season the Niners can release Kaepernick after each season without huge ramifications for their salary cap situation.

Here´s a look at his cap numbers over the length of the contract (not sure I´m 100% right about them though):

2014 - Cap hit: $3,767,561 - Dead Money: $12,884,961
2015 - Cap hit: $17,265,600 - Dead Money: $9,862,400
2016 - Cap hit: $18,765,600 - Dead Money: $7,396,800
2017 - Cap hit: $21,365,600 - Dead Money: $4,931,200
2018 - Cap hit: $21,865,600 - Dead Money: $2,465,600
2019 - Cap hit: $23,665,600
2020 - Cap hit: $25,865,600

Releasing Kaepernick in 2019 or 2020 won´t result in any dead money counting against the cap for the Niners. The entire base salary for 2015-17 and a portion of the 2018 salary is only guaranteed in case of injury and doesn´t get fully guaranteed until April 1 every year, so the Niners could look for a replacement for him in free agency before having to decide on his future. In addition the contract includes a $2 million roster bonus for every season starting in 2005, so Kaepernick not being active for a game because of injury would result in him losing $125,000.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I was amazed that they actually paid him that much. His only decent games were against us, other than that he struggled to even throw for 200 yds per game. He is the MOST overpaid and OVERRATED player now.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was amazed that they actually paid him that much. His only decent games were against us, other than that he struggled to even throw for 200 yds per game. He is the MOST overpaid and OVERRATED player now.

Once again, only $13 million of the deal are fully guaranteed, don´t just take a look at the total numbers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You have to realize the total numbers that are released don´t mean as much as it would in other leagues as a lot of it isn´t fully guaranteed.

Let´s take a closer look at the details:

The only money fully guaranteed in this deal amounts to a little bit more than $13 million. While the base salary ascends every single season the Niners can release Kaepernick after each season without huge ramifications for their salary cap situation.

Here´s a look at his cap numbers over the length of the contract (not sure I´m 100% right about them though):

2014 - Cap hit: $3,767,561 - Dead Money: $12,884,961
2015 - Cap hit: $17,265,600 - Dead Money: $9,862,400
2016 - Cap hit: $18,765,600 - Dead Money: $7,396,800
2017 - Cap hit: $21,365,600 - Dead Money: $4,931,200
2018 - Cap hit: $21,865,600 - Dead Money: $2,465,600
2019 - Cap hit: $23,665,600
2020 - Cap hit: $25,865,600

Releasing Kaepernick in 2019 or 2020 won´t result in any dead money counting against the cap for the Niners. The entire base salary for 2015-17 and a portion of the 2018 salary is only guaranteed in case of injury and doesn´t get fully guaranteed until April 1 every year, so the Niners could look for a replacement for him in free agency before having to decide on his future. In addition the contract includes a $2 million roster bonus for every season starting in 2005, so Kaepernick not being active for a game because of injury would result in him losing $125,000.

I was asking the Niners fan that posted...That is why I quoted him

TBH, I really dont care what it means to the Niners cap, just what that Niner fan thought of the contract that wasnt going to be Flacco money

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Once again, only $13 million of the deal are fully guaranteed, don´t just take a look at the total numbers.

Sure, I see that but the entire package is just dumbfounding me. That much in total numbers is not worth what he did last season, or before.
Played ALL 16 games
2013: 58% completions
3100 passing yards (less than 200 per game average)
21 TD passes 8 INT's

LOL.... Aaron Rodgers almost matched that and he only played half the damn season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts