49ers roster

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some are using San Fran as a great model for how to roster a long term winning NFL team. I beg to differ. Some perspective is needed here.

The Niners are 6 million under the 2014 CAP. Free agent Anquan Boldin—as one player—made as much in 2013 as the 49ers have in TOTAL cap spending for all of 2014 ($6 million). They have 12 players becoming free agents in 2014. They ALSO have All-Pro left guard Mike Iupati, Michael Crabtree, Aldon Smith and Kaeper****face all become free agents in 2015.

To say that the Niners are going to be challenged to keep this roster is an understatement. They're one of the most cash poor teams in the NFL going into next year and they have tons of guys to get signed yet!

About that debate over signing free agents. Hmmmmmmmmmm... Carlos Rogers will make a team-high $8.09 million in 2014. No. 1 corner or not, Rogers earned the 71st overall rating (out of 110 CBs) by Pro Football Focus. Can we really consider this NOT over-paying for a player? I wonder if the Niners, as we sit here today, are happy they have him or would they rather have that $8 million?

You know what this Niners situation feels like to me with all this chest thumping over these great free agent signings and this amazing roster? Can you say DALLAS COWBOYS? Thanks to equally poor and reckless roster management, Dallas enters the 2014 season $23.19 million OVER the cap.

Say what you want Packer fans. This season we lost on a last second field goal to this "amazing" San Fran team with half of our players on I.R.. Going into 2014, unlike the Niners, we have money to wrap up some players and sign some FA if TT goes there... but no matter how you look at it, I don't know how anyone can't think the Pack is in MUCH better shape to roster a better team than San Fran for the next several years.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree. I've seen a lot of people marveling at how the 9ers have put together such a talented roster. And it is a very talented roster on both sides of the ball. But they are going to have to pay out the backend very soon for a lot of these players and are going to lose at least half of them. Kaep is gonna need a new contract. Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, Navrro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Mike Iupati, Joe Staley... none of those guys is making anywhere near what they are worth right now, and they will be asking for it.
http://www.ninersnation.com/pages/49ers-salary-cap-2013
http://www.ninersnation.com/pages/49ers-salary-cap-2013

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, no team will be able to keep all of their guys with the salary cap in place. But right now I'd rather have the Niners roster with only $6 million cap space compared to the Packers roster with $26 million cap space. And don't forget we have 20 free agents of our own.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're going to start discussing another team here in the Packers part of the forum, then let's start topics on Arena Football and the Lingerie League as well.
The floor is open!

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, no team will be able to keep all of their guys with the salary cap in place. But right now I'd rather have the Niners roster with only $6 million cap space compared to the Packers roster with $26 million cap space. And don't forget we have 20 free agents of our own.

What do you mean by "right now"? Right this second, or once both teams have their free agents hit the market? Did you see that list of guys they have due? For God's sake, almost all of their top players are either FA this year or are going to be in their last year.

The question is, would you rather have our cap space and the players we have wrapped up/under contract for next year or the niner's cap space and the players they have wrapped up/under contract for next year? I would rather have the Pack's situation and it's not even close. Compound that by the fact it is Kapernutbag's last year. Here you have a guy that's about the 20th rated passer in the NFL. This is a guy that's looked worse than Randy Wright at times this season and if you stop his legs, he's not very good at all. Yet, his hype will drive his value through the roof. As far as a value rating, Kapertwatfart will be way over-priced.

I will admit I hate the guy but I can honestly say that's a classic case of being strapped with a bad situation in an NFL QB. Not much you can do. Gotta sign him cuz he's your guy but they know damn well there will be better QBs making much less in the NFL!

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're going to start discussing another team here in the Packers part of the forum, then let's start topics on Arena Football and the Lingerie League as well.
The floor is open!

I was making the point about the Packers verses niners rostering.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NOMOFO is dead right, and it's all due to perspective. The 49ers are making the big run now and have a bleak future. We at least will continue to have our core nucleus together and will be a contender for years to come. Especially in the player acquisition philosophy that the Packers currently employ, we are one good draft class away from a title run.

D

Deleted member 6794

What do you mean by "right now"? Right this second, or once both teams have their free agents hit the market? Did you see that list of guys they have due? For God's sake, almost all of their top players are either FA this year or are going to be in their last year.

The question is, would you rather have our cap space and the players we have wrapped up/under contract for next year or the niner's cap space and the players they have wrapped up/under contract for next year? I would rather have the Pack's situation and it's not even close. Compound that by the fact it is Kapernutbag's last year. Here you have a guy that's about the 20th rated passer in the NFL. This is a guy that's looked worse than Randy Wright at times this season and if you stop his legs, he's not very good at all. Yet, his hype will drive his value through the roof. As far as a value rating, Kapertwatfart will be way over-priced.

I will admit I hate the guy but I can honestly say that's a classic case of being strapped with a bad situation in an NFL QB. Not much you can do. Gotta sign him cuz he's your guy but they know damn well there will be better QBs making much less in the NFL!

I don't think the Packers are in a great cap situation either. Let's say we re-sign Shields and Raji would have accepted the offer earlier this season we would have less than $10 million of cap space without having enough big bodies for a base 3-4 defense and still no one capable of playing safety. And Nelson and Cobb will become free agents after next season.

I agree Kaepernick will get overpaid and that he's overrated, but the Packers defense hasn't been able to contain him in three games so far.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers are in a great cap situation either. Let's say we re-sign Shields and Raji would have accepted the offer earlier this season we would have less than $10 million of cap space without having enough big bodies for a base 3-4 defense and still no one capable of playing safety. And Nelson and Cobb will become free agents after next season.

I agree Kaepernick will get overpaid and that he's overrated, but the Packers defense hasn't been able to contain him in three games so far.

I am surprised so many people buy into that offer that was floated by one side to the media. Ill let you figure out which side would be most likely to "leak" a crazy high number.

So lets not play what if, lets play with reality.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am surprised so many people buy into that offer that was floated by one side to the media. Ill let you figure out which side would be most likely to "leak" a crazy high number.

So lets not play what if, lets play with reality.

Fine with that. It seems like the Packers have a ton of cap space, but you have to realize that five of the Packers defensive starters for most of last season are free agents and some ILB and S help is much needed.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fine with that. It seems like the Packers have a ton of cap space, but you have to realize that five of the Packers defensive starters for most of last season are free agents and some ILB and S help is much needed.

Of course I realize that. I also look past tomorrow into the next two seasons, this team has to make smart commitments in order to make others down the road.

D

Deleted member 6794

I also look past tomorrow into the next two seasons, this team has to make smart commitments in order to make others down the road.

Agreed. But I think signing some veteran free agents to reasonable contracts wouldn't hurt the team's long term future.

Signing Brad Jones and Morgan Burnett to their current contracts last offseason is a different story though.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. But I think signing some veteran free agents to reasonable contracts wouldn't hurt the team's long term future.

Signing Brad Jones and Morgan Burnett to their current contracts last offseason is a different story though.

Sure, who should we sign?

D

Deleted member 6794

Sure, who should we sign?

I would love to get a veteran safety. While I don't think Jarius Byrd would be a good choice because he'll ask for way too much money I wonder if we could get T.J. Ward or Donte Whitner for a reasonable price. Chris Clemons might be a cheaper option.

ILB is another position where we could need some help. Before he blew out his knee Brandon Spikes would have been a good option. Maybe Akeem Jordan or Arthur Moats.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Now that its the offseason for the Pack, can say getting high draft picks would of helped us out too. Though we also didn't have the melt down that the 49ers had in a while. Sure adjusting to Rodgers was pretty easy and our defensive woes are still there, yet we still lead our division for 3 years.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we want to build the Packers using the 49er model, we should do this:

1. Cut Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews
2. Suck big time
3. Get lots of very talented players at the top of the draft
4. Wait for a QB to emerge into a star under his rookie contract
5. Spend some money on great FAs
6. Hope you win a SB before your team collapses (about 3 years)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to get a veteran safety. While I don't think Jarius Byrd would be a good choice because he'll ask for way too much money I wonder if we could get T.J. Ward or Donte Whitner for a reasonable price. Chris Clemons might be a cheaper option.

ILB is another position where we could need some help. Before he blew out his knee Brandon Spikes would have been a good option. Maybe Akeem Jordan or Arthur Moats.

Ward and Whitner (Hitner) are going to command $5 mil per season most likely. Idk if that is something we can swing to be honest. Ward and Hitner are by some experts, considered better FAs than Byrd.

Akeem might be an option, he was pulled from passing downs frequently so that would help keep him affordable. I like Vincent Rey alot.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree. Maybe we can get lucky and find somebody that wants to go to a Superbowl contender and takes a fair offer. Regardless of what some here might think, most of the NFL considers the Pack serious contenders as long as 12 is under center and TT is at the helm.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thomson may not give us the best chance to win any given year, but he'll give us the best chance to win over a number of years.

The Packers were the fifth youngest team in the NFL this year. The 49ers were the twenty-seventh. I can't remember the last time the Packers weren't in the top 10 youngest teams. Not only do the 49ers have to deal with resigning their guys, they have to deal with a ageing roster as well.

The Packers have most of their core guys locked up and have twenty six million in cap space going into this off-season. The 49ers have almost none of their core guys locked up long term, with six million in cap space this off-
season.

Not that I'm criticizing the 49ers for having to maybe make some choices on which guys to keep in the future. That's an opportunity afforded only by good teams-but seeming to bet so many chips so early in Kaepernick's career is odd.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
With out looking at their roster or drafting spots, I think for years they were near the bottom and drafted real high...That is why they are winning now..

greenNyellow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ward and Whitner (Hitner) are going to command $5 mil per season most likely. Idk if that is something we can swing to be honest. Ward and Hitner are by some experts, considered better FAs than Byrd.

Akeem might be an option, he was pulled from passing downs frequently so that would help keep him affordable. I like Vincent Rey alot.

If $5M a year gets us Ward I'd do it in a second. That guy can ball. I feel Raji is gone. Shields has to be signed and I feel Tramon restructures. I feel like he wants to stay here but he's not worth top cb money. However by signing Ward we might have to let James Jones walk if he is seeking a better deal than last time and I'm okay with that. And by picking up Ward that scratches off safety as a priority in draft. We could then focus on LB and DL. As far as the DL goes I just recently have started to feel like we just need big bodies on the line. 6-3+ 300+ bodies that just eat up blockers and space. That's their job in a 3-4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread is pathetic.

Four straight losses to the niners, and we come back with salary cap smack talk? WTF?

Kaepernick will get paid, and yes they will have to retool the roster. But they had what looked like a strong draft class this past year which they basically redshirted, and they have extra picks for next year. They're not going to fall off the face of the world no matter how much you wish it.

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With out looking at their roster or drafting spots, I think for years they were near the bottom and drafted real high...That is why they are winning now..

Believe it or not, we have invested even more draft capital than the Niners and Seahawks in our defense. Here's the proof:

Seattle:

Red Bryant - 4th rounder
Tony McDaniel - UFA
Brandon Mebane - 3rd rounder
Chris Clemons - FA
Bruce Irvin - 15th overall
Bobby Wagner - 2nd rounder
KJ Wright - 4th rounder
Richard Sherman - 5th rounder
Kam Chancellor - 5th rounder
Earl Thomas - 14th overall
Byron Maxwell - 6th rounder

SF

Ray McDonald - 3rd round
Glenn Dorsey - FA
Justin Smith - FA
Ahmad Brooks - claimed off waivers
Navarro Bowman - 3rd round
Patrick Willis - 11th overall
Aldon Smith - 7th overalll
Carlos Rogers - FA
Donte Whitner - FA
Eric Reid - 18th overall
Tarell Brown - 5th round

Packers

Pickett - FA
Raji - 8th overall
Daniels - 4th rounder
Hawk - 5th overall
B. Jones - 7th rounder
Matthews - 26th overall
Perry - 28th overall

MD Jennings - UFA
Burnett - 3rd rounder
Tramon - UFA
Shields - UFA

Edit:

removed Datone from starters..

2nd string Packers defenders:
Datone Jones : 26th overall
Worthy: 2nd rounder
Hayward: 2nd rounder
Neal: 2nd rounder

I just took a look at Seattle's and SF's 2nd string defenders. Collectively, they have zero first and second rounders there as well.

Members online

Latest posts