2022 Draft Players To Watch Discussion Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I've been having fun running mock drafts, using a variety of simulators. One thing I notice about the first round, it really is going to depend on the QB's and to some extent OL and Edge players, that will decide how many options the Packers have with their 2 picks. I rarely have not seen one of what I consider a top tiered WR fall all the way to #28. What typically happens, at #22 one of what I would consider a top 15 guy is sitting there and might make Gute have to decide "do I grab him and hope a good WR is still there at 28?" There have been some really nice picks at 22 and 28. I also like the idea of getting one of those blue chip defensive players at 22 and grab either London, Burks or even Olave at 28. Then use a 2nd round pick on another WR.

This was one of my fav. mocks that I had. I took advantage of a couple of trade backs offered in the mid rounds to gain some picks.

George Karlaftis
EDGE Purdue

Drake London
WR USC

DeMarvin Leal
DT Texas A&M

Alec Pierce
WR Cincinnati

Skyy Moore
WR Western Michigan

Charlie Kolar
TE Iowa State

Yusuf Corker
S Kentucky

Obinna Eze
OT TCU

Hassan Haskins
RB Michigan

Kellen Diesch
OT Arizona State

Kalon Barnes
CB Baylor

Jack Sanborn
LB Wisconsin

Dylan Parham
OG Memphis

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been having fun running mock drafts, using a variety of simulators. One thing I notice about the first round, it really is going to depend on the QB's and to some extent OL and Edge players, that will decide how many options the Packers have with their 2 picks. I rarely have not seen one of what I consider a top tiered WR fall all the way to #28. What typically happens, at #22 one of what I would consider a top 15 guy is sitting there and might make Gute have to decide "do I grab him and hope a good WR is still there at 28?" There have been some really nice picks at 22 and 28. I also like the idea of getting one of those blue chip defensive players at 22 and grab either London, Burks or even Olave at 28. Then use a 2nd round pick on another WR.

This was one of my fav. mocks that I had. I took advantage of a couple of trade backs offered in the mid rounds to gain some picks.

George Karlaftis
EDGE Purdue

Drake London
WR USC

DeMarvin Leal
DT Texas A&M

Alec Pierce
WR Cincinnati

Skyy Moore
WR Western Michigan

Charlie Kolar
TE Iowa State

Yusuf Corker
S Kentucky

Obinna Eze
OT TCU

Hassan Haskins
RB Michigan

Kellen Diesch
OT Arizona State

Kalon Barnes
CB Baylor

Jack Sanborn
LB Wisconsin

Dylan Parham
OG Memphis

I was reminded of the "more cow bell" skit only this time it was OL and WR....LOL

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Also we have pick #258 that you didn't do.

I'll go ahead and pencil in a WR...say Samori Toure or Eric Ezukanma...you were kinda light at that position group.
I did a few trades along the way. ;)

I know, I only drafted 3 WR's, but I didn't like any of the late round guys and we have enough of those already on the team. :)

Depending on who Gute signs between now and the draft, 3 WR's would not surprise me at all. If Pierce and Skyy Moore are around that late, I would love to see him grab them.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did a few trades along the way. ;)

I know, I only drafted 3 WR's, but I didn't like any of the late round guys and we have enough of those already on the team. :)

Depending on who Gute signs between now and the draft, 3 WR's would not surprise me at all. If Pierce and Skyy Moore are around that late, I would love to see him grab them.

If Skyy makes it to 92, I'll take a picture of me standing in Walmart with a miniskirt on and a sign saying Pokerbrat2000 is King :D

LOL

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DEAL! :roflmao::roflmao: and if he doesn't, I won't stand in Walmart naked, like I usually do.

In all honesty if I felt slot WR was a need (like cutting Cobb would have done) I'd be all over Skyy Moore. His hands and wingspan is abnormally LARGE for a guy of his height and he uses it like he is a six footer. After the catch his shiftiness is something to watch. I really like him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In all honesty if I felt slot WR was a need (like cutting Cobb would have done) I'd be all over Skyy Moore. His hands and wingspan is abnormally LARGE for a guy of his height and he uses it like he is a six footer. After the catch his shiftiness is something to watch. I really like him.
I don't think Cobb would be the reason they don't draft him, more Amari, if they think he is going to be a good future slot guy. I too watched some film on him and really liked what I saw. Burks still really intrigues me in the first round, for some reason he reminds me of Megatron. I love both Olave and Wilson, but am having a hard time wondering if their success fed off of each other, as well as a very strong Buckeye offense, with a phenom Freshman QB. But I said the same thing about McLaurin and he has really turned out nice for the WTF.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Cobb would be the reason they don't draft him, more Amari, if they think he is going to be a good future slot guy. I too watched some film on him and really liked what I saw. Burks still really intrigues me in the first round, for some reason he reminds me of Megatron. I love both Olave and Wilson, but am having a hard time wondering if their success fed off of each other, as well as a very strong Buckeye offense, with a phenom Freshman QB. But I said the same thing about McLaurin and he has really turned out nice for the WTF.

He is a SLOW megatron. Watson aligns more physically with Megatron. I'm a big Burks fan for what he does YAC and what I see route wise out of him.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He is a SLOT megatron. Watson aligns more physically with Megatron. I'm a big Burks fan for what he does YAC and what I see route wise out of him.
Watson is built more like Lazard, tall and lean. 6'5" 205 lbs. Where as Burks is 6' 2" and 225. I like them both, but there is just something about Burks I really like and I think as you pointed out, it might be his YAC. He seems to get open and if not, he can highpoint and out muscle the defender and then off he goes and hard to bring down.

Watson, might end up being the steal of the WR's, if teams are nervous about him coming from a smaller school.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That was supposed to say SLOW
I was wondering how you had him pegged for the slot, but I let it go.
I do like this draft class of WR's and I think the Packers could walk away from the first 2 rounds with 2 decent ones. I wouldn't even be upset if they used both 1st rounders on 2 WR's. That still gives them their 2 picks in the second round to get some decent talent.

ptisme

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interestingly I heard today Skyy played outside on like 68 percent of snaps last year so he doesn't need to play just slot like, say, Cobb

ptisme

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is a ton of talent in the second round... If their guy isn't there they could really improve this team with multiple picks in rounds 2-3 for one of their firsts...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think there is a ton of talent in the second round... If their guy isn't there they could really improve this team with multiple picks in rounds 2-3 for one of their firsts...
We fell into that trap the last time the draft was suppose to be very deep in WR talent and we came out of it with zero WR's. Now here we sit with very little, other than UDFA's and a vet we cast off years ago.

Unless Gute lands a whale or 2 in free agency, the Packers would be nuts not to take at least 1 WR in their first 2 picks.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kyler McMichael folks. Circle him as a Day 3 CB target for GB.

Solid speed (Pro Day unnoficially mid 4.3s) solid frame and length only lacks or appears to lack some of the flexibility and athleticism measurably, but I like a lot of his game film and has a football hustle that is uncoachable and is very good with his eye discipline and run assistance.

To me he will thrive on STs and break a line up on the interior eventually possibly.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We fell into that trap the last time the draft was suppose to be very deep in WR talent and we came out of it with zero WR's. Now here we sit with very little, other than UDFA's and a vet we cast off years ago.

Unless Gute lands a whale or 2 in free agency, the Packers would be nuts not to take at least 1 WR in their first 2 picks.
That's my feeling, too.

I said it elsewhere but IMO there are probably 4-5 teams picking ahead of us who could all conceivably view WR as a "priority" target for them. For me, that's Atlanta, Washington, New Orleans, Philly, and maybe someone like the Jets (and you could probably make a case for the Giants and Texans too, though they might have bigger needs first). I don't know that all 4-5 (or more) will guaranteed go WR, but it seems like at the moment there are about 5ish players who are generally viewed as the consensus top 5 WRs in the draft: Wilson, London, Olave, Burks, and probably Williams (though I don't see him as a first-choice option for us at 22 simply due to availability. Maybe if we wanted to double-dip and he was available at 28 after taking one of the others at 22, I guess). And then I think you have a couple of guys like Dotson or Watson who have been "risers" and are probably viewed as on the fringe of that group, but beyond that point there aren't really many players with first-round value, IMO.

And for me if we don't take WR at 22, there's a few more teams who could certainly stand to take a WR between there and 28: Arizona, Dallas (though to be fair I believe Jerry Jones just said something yesterday to the effect of "We'll take IOL unless a CeeDee Lamb or Micah Parsons are available there), Buffalo, Tennessee, and perhaps Tampa. All that to say that if we don't take a WR at 22 it's not entirely inconceivable that all of the "First-round graded" WRs are off the board by the time we get to 28.

At that point then it probably makes most sense to trade down into a higher second round pick because again there's a lot of WR-needy teams between 28 and 53 (Detroit, Jets, Giants, Houston, Chicago, Indy, Atlanta, Cleveland, Washington, New Orleans, KC, Philly, etc - with a number of them having multiple picks in that span). So if we pass at 22 and the "first round" guys are gone at 28 and we don't trade down into a higher 2nd-rd pick then you run the risk of missing out on a lot of the "tier 2" guys, too.

All that to say that like you said - unless we really make some moves in FA or pull off a big trade I think it would pretty much be suicidal to not take a WR in the first, and for me I'd be much more comfortable with that selection coming at 22 rather than 28. I understand the idea of taking the best player available - and it may be that there is a good DL or OL prospect who falls that far - but at some point I think need has to outweigh that - and for us our need at WR is far, FAR greater (IMO) than at DL or OL or anywhere else. So much so that I'd argue that there's more value for us in taking a WR with a mid-to-late 1st-rd grade at 22 than there would be at taking a DL or OL with a higher mid-1st rd grade in that spot, really.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's my feeling, too.

I said it elsewhere but IMO there are probably 4-5 teams picking ahead of us who could all conceivably view WR as a "priority" target for them. For me, that's Atlanta, Washington, New Orleans, Philly, and maybe someone like the Jets (and you could probably make a case for the Giants and Texans too, though they might have bigger needs first). I don't know that all 4-5 (or more) will guaranteed go WR, but it seems like at the moment there are about 5ish players who are generally viewed as the consensus top 5 WRs in the draft: Wilson, London, Olave, Burks, and probably Williams (though I don't see him as a first-choice option for us at 22 simply due to availability. Maybe if we wanted to double-dip and he was available at 28 after taking one of the others at 22, I guess). And then I think you have a couple of guys like Dotson or Watson who have been "risers" and are probably viewed as on the fringe of that group, but beyond that point there aren't really many players with first-round value, IMO.

And for me if we don't take WR at 22, there's a few more teams who could certainly stand to take a WR between there and 28: Arizona, Dallas (though to be fair I believe Jerry Jones just said something yesterday to the effect of "We'll take IOL unless a CeeDee Lamb or Micah Parsons are available there), Buffalo, Tennessee, and perhaps Tampa. All that to say that if we don't take a WR at 22 it's not entirely inconceivable that all of the "First-round graded" WRs are off the board by the time we get to 28.

At that point then it probably makes most sense to trade down into a higher second round pick because again there's a lot of WR-needy teams between 28 and 53 (Detroit, Jets, Giants, Houston, Chicago, Indy, Atlanta, Cleveland, Washington, New Orleans, KC, Philly, etc - with a number of them having multiple picks in that span). So if we pass at 22 and the "first round" guys are gone at 28 and we don't trade down into a higher 2nd-rd pick then you run the risk of missing out on a lot of the "tier 2" guys, too.

All that to say that like you said - unless we really make some moves in FA or pull off a big trade I think it would pretty much be suicidal to not take a WR in the first, and for me I'd be much more comfortable with that selection coming at 22 rather than 28. I understand the idea of taking the best player available - and it may be that there is a good DL or OL prospect who falls that far - but at some point I think need has to outweigh that - and for us our need at WR is far, FAR greater (IMO) than at DL or OL or anywhere else. So much so that I'd argue that there's more value for us in taking a WR with a mid-to-late 1st-rd grade at 22 than there would be at taking a DL or OL with a higher mid-1st rd grade in that spot, really.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I do think Gute is going to land a decent FA WR before the draft, but that won't really change much, they still need to get one of those first tier guys in the first round. I loved that the top college QB's are having great Pro Days, I think they have all moved up in the draft for the QB needy teams. The more the merrier!

I honestly would love to come out of the first round with 2 top WR's from that group. But as long as we get 1, I think there are others in the second round that have great potential. I am still sticking with we need 2 out of the first 4 picks to go WR.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To counter that though @Magooch for all we know Gute and Co could have only two or even one WR they actually place a first round grade on?

I'm a big fan of trading back out of one of our firsts personally OR two trade ups to get two guys off not just the Top 20 big board we hold, but also guys that at that point should also be true bonafide 1st round graded guys (many GMs say many drafts they don't even have 30 guys with 1st round grades).

But to center the entire thought process of to trade back or not based solely upon the WR position is ignorant IMO to the stance of building the best team possible. If Gute has a top 10 or 15 graded/ranked guy fall to 22 that isn't a WR...I cannot think of a single position I'd ignore honestly. Now if you get a jingle and the trade value is solid and you see a good chance a target guy being there at 28 or even a trade out of 22, to maybe trade back up 23-27 and still double dip in the first making the decision to trade back is still very valid.

Two scenarios I've played out

A Back and Up Scenario - We stay at 22, but trade back off of 28th with Seahawks for their 40th (2nd) & 109th (4th) in exchange for our 28th. However, making a move for a WR happens overnight and we give up some serious change to grab the 33rd pick by giving up our acquired 40th (2nd), 132nd (4th), 258th (7th)
  • 22.George Karlaftis EDGE, Purdue​

• 33.Christian Watson WR, North Dakota State​

• 53.George Pickens WR, Georgia​

• 59.Chad Muma LB, Wyoming​

• 92.Sam Williams EDGE, Ole Miss​

• 109.Jelani Woods TE, Virginia​

• 140.Zach Tom OT, Wake Forest​

• 171.Chase Lucas CB, Arizona State​

• 228.Smoke Monday S, Auburn​

• 249.Nick Zakelj OT, Fordham​

A Up and then Back Scenario - Give up arguably a lot to New Orleans sending our 22nd, 132nd (4th) and 2023 6th rounder for the 18th pick to get our WR.
We then however trade back off of 28, as the Colts want to get in on the first round action without one and we pick up the 42nd (2nd), 122nd (4th) and 216 (6th) for our 28th and 258th (7th)

• 18. Treylon Burks WR, Arkansas​

• 42.Tyler Smith IOL, Tulsa​

• 53.Travis Jones IDL, UConn​

• 59.Drake Jackson EDGE, USC​

• 92.Troy Andersen LB, Montana State​

• 122.Dane Belton S, Iowa​

• 140.Romeo Doubs WR, Nevada​

• 171.Charlie Kolar TE, Iowa State​

• 216.Kyler McMichael CB, North Carolina​

• 228.Austin Deculus OT, LSU​

• 249.Ali Fayad EDGE, Western Michigan​

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To counter that though @Magooch for all we know Gute and Co could have only two or even one WR they actually place a first round grade on?

I'm a big fan of trading back out of one of our firsts personally OR two trade ups to get two guys off not just the Top 20 big board we hold, but also guys that at that point should also be true bonafide 1st round graded guys (many GMs say many drafts they don't even have 30 guys with 1st round grades).

But to center the entire thought process of to trade back or not based solely upon the WR position is ignorant IMO to the stance of building the best team possible. If Gute has a top 10 or 15 graded/ranked guy fall to 22 that isn't a WR...I cannot think of a single position I'd ignore honestly. Now if you get a jingle and the trade value is solid and you see a good chance a target guy being there at 28 or even a trade out of 22, to maybe trade back up 23-27 and still double dip in the first making the decision to trade back is still very valid.

Two scenarios I've played out

A Back and Up Scenario - We stay at 22, but trade back off of 28th with Seahawks for their 40th (2nd) & 109th (4th) in exchange for our 28th. However, making a move for a WR happens overnight and we give up some serious change to grab the 33rd pick by giving up our acquired 40th (2nd), 132nd (4th), 258th (7th)
  • 22.George Karlaftis EDGE, Purdue​

• 33.Christian Watson WR, North Dakota State​

• 53.George Pickens WR, Georgia​

• 59.Chad Muma LB, Wyoming​

• 92.Sam Williams EDGE, Ole Miss​

• 109.Jelani Woods TE, Virginia​

• 140.Zach Tom OT, Wake Forest​

• 171.Chase Lucas CB, Arizona State​

• 228.Smoke Monday S, Auburn​

• 249.Nick Zakelj OT, Fordham​

A Up and then Back Scenario - Give up arguably a lot to New Orleans sending our 22nd, 132nd (4th) and 2023 6th rounder for the 18th pick to get our WR.
We then however trade back off of 28, as the Colts want to get in on the first round action without one and we pick up the 42nd (2nd), 122nd (4th) and 216 (6th) for our 28th and 258th (7th)

• 18. Treylon Burks WR, Arkansas​

• 42.Tyler Smith IOL, Tulsa​

• 53.Travis Jones IDL, UConn​

• 59.Drake Jackson EDGE, USC​

• 92.Troy Andersen LB, Montana State​

• 122.Dane Belton S, Iowa​

• 140.Romeo Doubs WR, Nevada​

• 171.Charlie Kolar TE, Iowa State​

• 216.Kyler McMichael CB, North Carolina​

• 228.Austin Deculus OT, LSU​

• 249.Ali Fayad EDGE, Western Michigan​

I could be on-board with either with the HUGE exception of option #1 & getting NO HELP for Clark on the DL. 59 or 92 (in this situation) MUST be a DE or huge NT (so Clark slides out to DE). If either of the top 3 (Lowry, Clark, Reed) go down the DL becomes a serious weak spot. I had high hopes for Slaton but not sure if he's capable of a big 2nd year jump or not.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be on-board with either with the HUGE exception of option #1 & getting NO HELP for Clark on the DL. 59 or 92 (in this situation) MUST be a DE or huge NT (so Clark slides out to DE). If either of the top 3 (Lowry, Clark, Reed) go down the DL becomes a serious weak spot. I had high hopes for Slaton but not sure if he's capable of a big 2nd year jump or not.

Karlaftis is just as comfortable flexed down as he is out wide and up. He is 266 presently according to combine, but most say he played around 275lbs and his frame holds it perfectly and could even become a stouter down guy if needed.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I kinda see where you're coming from. Although - of course the real GMs surely see it at least somewhat differently - I think most everyone you'd find would be in agreement that there's more than 1-2 "First round grade" WRs in this class. It would be kind of weird IMO if Gute sees that radically differently...

In that case though I think you could probably argue that even IF Gute and co do only see one or two guys as a first round grade then...perhaps that's all the more reason to move *up* and get that guy. I really can't overstate (for me, at least) just how much our need at WR right now outweighs every other position. I don't think it's remotely close. Right now, reinforcing the WR room should be Priority 1A, Priority 1B, and Priority 1C, and then everything else comes second.

Obviously I guess there are limits in both directions - if Hutchinson or Thibodeaux or Walker drop to 22 then you pretty much have to take them, but on the flip side if Gute thinks Malik Willis is a top-5 player and he's available at 22 you're still not gonna take him there, it'd be ridiculous. And so we understand that in some cases need *does* have to outweigh BPA, while in other instances a dramatic example of BPA (like the aforementioned players) causes you to reassess "need," but in most usual scenarios I suspect neither is the case and it's simply a situation where our need is so great that we will have to address it and IMO that's okay.

I guess though the crux of it for me is that I just don't think we are really in a position to play wait-and-see. Even if we don't move up...I don't know that we really have the luxury of being able to say no to a WR at 22 (much less 28) even if a better "value" is available at the moment. When your car needs a new engine and a new set of tires, you don't buy a new set of tires because they're a great deal and then hope that you can address your engine later. And for me that's us right now - our car's engine is shot and while the "tires" (OL, DL, edge) etc are probably needing replaced soon, you can drive around on some bald tires but you're not getting anywhere with a blown motor.

If we still had Davante (and even in that case I think WR would still be a top-priority need for us) then that would afford us a bit more flexibility to perhaps wait and see how the chips fall, but as it stands we've lost literally 2/3rds of our WR production this offseason and I just don't think we can really just take an approach where we hope that someone we like falls to us and we can add good value at other positions.

And IMO this becomes more and more true the less guys we peg first-round grades on. If there are only say 3-4 first round graded WRs on our board then IMO it's all the more imperative to make sure we end up with one of them. I'd much rather perhaps reach a bit on a first-round graded WR than to trade down for "value" and end up with a second- or third-round graded WR or two and hoping for the best, even if we do address the position more in free agency or through trades.*

*The exception to this would be a trade for a star player like Metcalf or something, but barring that happening I think the overall talent level of our current WR room is by far worse than any other position group on the team (and it's not close) and as such is in the greatest need of adding the highest-level talent possible.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd agree to the Packers feeling that one of their two first round picks will be a WR. Which pick? I don't know. The point may well be that they figure they can take the WR at 22, and still get the guy they want at another position at 28.

But, I also see the possibility of them packaging a 2nd round pick with one of the two first rounders, to move up into the top 15, to grab an even better WR who has size, speed, and the tools to hit the ground running when he hits the big time. Hopefully someone who won't require time at the end of the bench, learning how to tie his shoes.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kinda see where you're coming from. Although - of course the real GMs surely see it at least somewhat differently - I think most everyone you'd find would be in agreement that there's more than 1-2 "First round grade" WRs in this class. It would be kind of weird IMO if Gute sees that radically differently...

LOL, it is very possible Gute sees only one or two. I can remember more than a few GMs saying trade backs have happened because they didn't have anyone graded for the spot and took the offer.

Concensus amongst fans, avid draft fans or even Kipers of the world don't matter inside a team's war room.

In that case though I think you could probably argue that even IF Gute and co do only see one or two guys as a first round grade then...perhaps that's all the more reason to move *up* and get that guy. I really can't overstate (for me, at least) just how much our need at WR right now outweighs every other position. I don't think it's remotely close. Right now, reinforcing the WR room should be Priority 1A, Priority 1B, and Priority 1C, and then everything else comes second.

It is the biggest hole presently on the roster - not sure anyone would say otherwise.

However to pretend we need a WR1, WR2 and WR3 is just something I cannot acknowledge as valid.

Don't worry I'm not saying don't go get a WR - I 100% would and expect minimum one, maybe two picked with our first 4 picks and perhaps a trade up scenario for sure is more likely especially IF Gute only has one or two he prefers to not allow to go elsewhere.