2022 Draft Players To Watch Discussion Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Here's an interesting take on the Packers draft. Two WRs in round 1. Olave & Burks.

Two WRs for Packers in 1st round
I've run a lot of mock drafts with the same results. Looking at this mock, it's more along the lines of what I think will play out. QB needy teams will be grabbing the 3 or possibly 4 top QB's and that will help drop some more good players to the Packers at #22 and 28. I also think the Packers need to grab their favoriteavailable WR at 22. There are too many teams in between our 2 picks that need a WR.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have a better handle on college guys. If I did that, I would be lying to myself that I knew more than the people who do it professionally, I don't.

I enjoy doing a bunch of simulators, I began to see where guys might fall. Between now and the draft, guys will be moving up and down boards. Always seems to be a new flavor of the day.

lol nah it’s all part of the fun, and like many of the professionals say, the best prospects to the wrong team will make anyone look like a fool.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an interesting take on the Packers draft. Two WRs in round 1. Olave & Burks.

Two WRs for Packers in 1st round
Yeah I saw that mock... I would absolutely hate that draft. Especially since Pickens and Williams were both still on the board.

I'd rather have both Pickens and Williams over Olave and Burks.

Also, in that mock Devonte Wyatt went 15th to the Eagles. Wyatt is my hope at 22, but I'm pretty sure he'll be gone.

If Wyatt is gone, I'm wanting Pickens or Williams at 22 and Logan Hall at 28.

I'd take Hall over Mafe because there are some good edge guys that will be available in the 2nd round, and IDL drops off.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted eslewhere but fits here too...

Some mid-round to end of 3rd guys I have graded for Safety options not mentioned (I believe) since we're discussing are:

Tycen Anderson out of Toledo is a guy to circle. This dude is a stud IMO and I would not be shocked to see him come off in the top 125 or so. So if he is there in the 4th I'd spring for him. He is just shy of 6'2' weighing 209lbs and yet flies! 4.36 forty time at the combine and elite measures at each split he exhibits explosive short range ability and long. His hands are massive at 10+inches and has above average arm length 33'. Lacks the strength you would expect from appearance but is not fearful of putting his cap to the ball - he is however more of a sideline to sideline and ball player than a sledgehammer out of the backend.

Dane Belton out of Iowa is another guy to circle for that late 3rd into the first round or two of Day 3. Younger guy coming out after his Junior year (plus category feature) his RAS is excellent too being over 9 as well. He is slightly shorter at just over 6 foot, but weighs in at 205 and has a more solid constructed frame. Despite his agility measurables he wasn't asked to cover in the slot a ton and many project him as a run defense weapon with the upside of being a ball hawk (5 INTs in 2021)...his coverage gets refined I see zero reason why he couldn't be an all around Safety at the next level for any team. He ran a 4.43 and his 10 yards split was sub 1.5 - so while he wasn't asked to do it, it would seem his pursuit and field coverage abilities is for sure there.

Final guy is Sterling Weatherford out of Miami of Ohio. This guy is built different! 6'4' and 224lbs he has incredible strength in his frame (21 bench reps) yet ran a 4.6 (not amazing but given his role isn't bad). IF he can cover in the slot, this "subpackage" beast could find an immediate role for a defense looking for a guy to be able to be a "light LB" and cover TEs adequately. RAS was 8.83 for those wondering.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This might be good news for the Packers....Saint moving up to try and grab a QB?

TRADE: Eagles sending picks No. 16, No. 19 and No. 194 in the sixth round to the Saints in exchange for pick No. 18, No. 101 in the third round, No. 237 in the 7th round AND a 2023 first-round pick and 2024 second-round pick, per sources.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might be good news for the Packers....Saint moving up to try and grab a QB?

TRADE: Eagles sending picks No. 16, No. 19 and No. 194 in the sixth round to the Saints in exchange for pick No. 18, No. 101 in the third round, No. 237 in the 7th round AND a 2023 first-round pick and 2024 second-round pick, per sources.

So this is very strange to move up in this fashion....they basically are swapping a bunch of picks including a future first and a future 2nd....

This tells me a few things are possible....the first is that the Saints view this overall class as one which is strong, and they feel positioning themselves at 16 for whatever reason AND an additional pick at 19 strengthens their likelihood of nabbing a couple good players.

The only way I feel this is a move for a QB, is if they have an additional deal with a team in the very top SHOULD THEY BE able to offer "insert draft equity" and this move now gives them that. I struggle to believe that though because this is so far prior to the draft there is no telling what teams are going to do...now there is a chance that perhaps it is they have two QBs they love and they know they only have to get inside of what the 6th pick and they're most likely guaranteed to achieve one or the other...

I just fail to understand this other than it is a play towards their perceived depth of the draft class as a whole and they feel they are best suited pushing in on two first rounder this year than one this year and one next.....OR this is a shuffle they needed to do in order to then make an additional deal for a different higher up pick....

Let's say it is for an additional move to go get Willis or Pickett or a QB1 on their board...it will assuredly cost both those first rounders they now have at 16 and 19...and most likely will cost them another higher up pick as well....

That mean drafting "player x" cost them at minimum three first rounders, a 2024 second rounder, a high third rounder this year probably if not more....

The Eagles are rebuilding like KINGS if they just hit. They essentially shifted their three firsts this year into two this year of nearly identical value PLUS they have two next year, PLUS they have 101 (third this year), PLUS 2024 second rounder to work with. IF the Eagles management just hits on half of their four firsts over the next two years and throws in one or two more true hits in their drafts...that team SHOULD be in control of that division or close to it for a while.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if for Philly it's more or less taking one more year to look at Hurts and put some good pieces around him and if they decide he's not the guy then they perhaps have the assets to get a CJ Stroud or Bryce Young next year...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Saints are definitely in the need of their future QB. With the 3-4 QB's that all have had pretty good combines or pro days, being talked up in the first round, I think they are positioning themselves to be able to either grab one they like with that first pick or move up even further if they feel the need.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great move by both teams, IMHO. Saints need a QB & WR and can now get both in round 1. Saints have Winston for '22 & can keep or trade him in '23 should new QB show that he's ready to start in '23. Eagles are stockpiling future picks while maintaining draft capital.

Saints will be taking a WR off the board that may have been there at 22. :(. May drop a D player into Gute's lap, though.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So this is very strange to move up in this fashion....they basically are swapping a bunch of picks including a future first and a future 2nd....

This tells me a few things are possible....the first is that the Saints view this overall class as one which is strong, and they feel positioning themselves at 16 for whatever reason AND an additional pick at 19 strengthens their likelihood of nabbing a couple good players.

The only way I feel this is a move for a QB, is if they have an additional deal with a team in the very top SHOULD THEY BE able to offer "insert draft equity" and this move now gives them that. I struggle to believe that though because this is so far prior to the draft there is no telling what teams are going to do...now there is a chance that perhaps it is they have two QBs they love and they know they only have to get inside of what the 6th pick and they're most likely guaranteed to achieve one or the other...

I just fail to understand this other than it is a play towards their perceived depth of the draft class as a whole and they feel they are best suited pushing in on two first rounder this year than one this year and one next.....OR this is a shuffle they needed to do in order to then make an additional deal for a different higher up pick....

Let's say it is for an additional move to go get Willis or Pickett or a QB1 on their board...it will assuredly cost both those first rounders they now have at 16 and 19...and most likely will cost them another higher up pick as well....

That mean drafting "player x" cost them at minimum three first rounders, a 2024 second rounder, a high third rounder this year probably if not more....

The Eagles are rebuilding like KINGS if they just hit. They essentially shifted their three firsts this year into two this year of nearly identical value PLUS they have two next year, PLUS they have 101 (third this year), PLUS 2024 second rounder to work with. IF the Eagles management just hits on half of their four firsts over the next two years and throws in one or two more true hits in their drafts...that team SHOULD be in control of that division or close to it for a while.
My first thought at seeing this rather odd looking trade is that Philadelphia must be convinced that New Orleans is going to blow chunks bigtime in 22 and is banking on a top 5 pick in 23.
I think it's a risky proposition myself in that New Orleans has two other teams in their division that are very possibly chunkblowers.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first thought at seeing this rather odd looking trade is that Philadelphia must be convinced that New Orleans is going to blow chunks bigtime in 22 and is banking on a top 5 pick in 23.
I think it's a risky proposition myself in that New Orleans has two other teams in their division that are very possibly chunkblowers.
Falcons & Panthers (twice each), Seahawks, Steelers are possible Saints wins. 6-11 at best unless they mysteriously knock off a decent team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lol.

My recently divorced friend told me that he was giving up drinking. I asked him why. He said he went out and drank so much the other night, that he came home and blew chunks. I said " oh come on man, all of us are guilty of over indulging and throwing up." He said "No, you don't get it, Chunks is the name of my dog."

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about it the less I understand it from the Saints perspective. It seems like most are of the opinion that on the whole the 2022 draft class is not particularly strong. And at the same time many would tell you that they expect the 2023 class to be a lot stronger on the whole. I think New Orleans are a very low-ceiling team this year (I see them in the 4-6 wins range) and so there's a good chance that Philly may well have moved out of a mid-1st round pick this year into a potential top-5 pick next year, along with a couple extra picks to boot... And in addition to people talking like this class is weak overall, more specifically it really seems like the consensus is that it's a particularly weak QB class - I see a lot of guys talking like there are really no "First-round graded" QBs in the whole class, even though some might get drafted that high...then on the other hand (again) most are fairly high on next year's top QB options. Saints of course really need a QB, so I really don't understand why they would be making moves to load up more in this draft class when they'd (IMO) likely be better off to stockpile picks next year, instead. Is gaining the ability to draft a Malik Willis or Kenny Pickett or whoever this year really better than potentially getting a CJ Stroud or Bryce Young next year?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is gaining the ability to draft a Malik Willis or Kenny Pickett or whoever this year really better than potentially getting a CJ Stroud or Bryce Young next year?
The Saints may think so, that they have 2 years to get the new QB ready for action and they believe they have the ability to coach-him-up. They get 2 swings this year in the 1st, a developmental QB & a top-end WR.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The more I think about it the less I understand it from the Saints perspective.
I think it will become more clear before or eventually, on draft day, why the Saints did it. The Saints obviously like a player(s) in this draft. Whether it is a QB or another position, remains to be seen. They may just be positioning themselves to move up even further to grab the guy(s) they want.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it will become more clear before or eventually, on draft day, why the Saints did it. The Saints obviously like a player(s) in this draft. Whether it is a QB or another position, remains to be seen. They may just be positioning themselves to move up even further to grab the guy(s) they want.

Problem is you have zero knowledge of this trade barely forward gives you a QB….it just makes no sense unless they have some pre discussed packages with top 10 teams to move

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the Saints don't intend worrying about a QB this year. Maybe their intent is to beef up other areas, then take advantage of a poor season to get a real high pick next year. Unless we knew what they're game plan was, we're just guessing.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Problem is you have zero knowledge of this trade barely forward gives you a QB….it just makes no sense unless they have some pre discussed packages with top 10 teams to move
I think Pkrjones hit the nail on the head. This gives the Saints 2 shots at a QB and maybe a WR. Or, as I said, enough fire power to move up to grab a QB that they really want.

As far as talks with other teams, I am pretty sure that all 32 teams are feeling their way around the first round already.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the Saints don't intend worrying about a QB this year. Maybe their intent is to beef up other areas, then take advantage of a poor season to get a real high pick next year. Unless we knew what they're game plan was, we're just guessing.
If they don't intend to make a move for a QB this year and instead want to "take advantage of a poor season to get a real high pick next year" doesn't it make even less sense to trade?

Unless I've missed something major they only had one 2023 1st round pick, no? And that's being sent to Philly now. So they won't even have a high draft pick next year without moving some more things around...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If they don't intend to make a move for a QB this year and instead want to "take advantage of a poor season to get a real high pick next year" doesn't it make even less sense to trade?

Unless I've missed something major they only had one 2023 1st round pick, no? And that's being sent to Philly now. So they won't even have a high draft pick next year without moving some more things around...
Agreed. No doubt, in my mind at least, the Saints will be going after a QB in the draft. Unless, they make a trade for one between now and the draft. The Eagles might be thinking about next year and Bryce Young or CJ Stroud if Jalen Hurts flounders this season. I think the Eagles made a good trade. The Saints could end up struggling this season and if so, the Eagles could have themselves a nice 2023 first rounder.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With no 1st rounder next year, and no QB, they will be a doormat, and in two years, get a chance at the pick of the litter in QBs coming out. Sometimes you need to quit trying to put patches on a bad situation and admit you need to start from scratch. I can't say that's what they're doing, or not. It just seems so odd to me that they put themselves deeper in a hole unless that's the case.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With no 1st rounder next year, and no QB, they will be a doormat, and in two years, get a chance at the pick of the litter in QBs coming out. Sometimes you need to quit trying to put patches on a bad situation and admit you need to start from scratch. I can't say that's what they're doing, or not. It just seems so odd to me that they put themselves deeper in a hole unless that's the case.
So you think they have their eyes on Caleb Williams, Quinn Ewers or Jaxson Dart? Who are those guys you might ask? Predicted top QB's in the 2024 draft. I have to ask, why would they wait 2 years to try and grab a top QB, that is probably on nobody's radar right now? Who knows what the 2024 draft will bring, heck the 2023 is still a big question mark and the 2022 is just starting to take shape.

I have to believe that the Saints will grab a QB in the first round this draft and bring him along this year. Even if they finish 0-17, they won't have a first rounder next year.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess one other consideration in all this for the Saints...
Sean Payton is still under contract until 2024 IIRC.
Of course there has been heavily speculation linking him to the Cowboys (and others) for years now.
Maybe they are thinking that he'll want to come back and they'll be able to regain some assets in moving Payton? If that's the case then it makes a little more sense. Get some more picks now, and then gain some back next year by moving him. Of course that's a big bet to take, but it'd probably pay out decently if that's how it shakes out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts