2024 Draft Prospect Discussions

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of how I felt. Especially, with how the night was going and most of the top secondary guys still on the board.

The more I read about Morgan though, the more I understand the pick. He fits the Packer OL profile to a tee. Size, versatility and experience. While I prefer him over Mims or Guyten, I would have been happier with Barton or just seeing Gute trade out of the 1st. Of course, had he traded out, none of us would have known it was do that or select Morgan.

Lots of good players available in round 2, Gute got the OL guy he probably wanted before the draft started.
Good points. Barton was a popular pick, but he projects at G or C, not T. And Morgan is a very versatile guy and has 3 full seasons at LT with Arizona.

I think he might have been there at #41, giving Gluten an opportunity to trade back. I'm thinking he tried that and didn't get any takers. Or, Morgan was his guy all along, and that's fine.

As for the secondary, DeJean has slipped out of round 1. He may yet be a day two pickup for the Packers, or LB Edgerrin Cooper. I expect another OL, a RB or two, and the rest of the picks on defense.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill Bellichik was ecstatic on Morgan. I don’t like BB always and such but imma hold his opinion quite high.

Also I gotta say something…I’ve heard many say that a guy or these guys fell quite a bit…that is a very very over simplistic way of viewing the draft.

Guys don’t drop when you have an insanely atypical amount of QBs go in the top 12…or when you have three absolutely locks at WR to not make it far and a last two decades type TE prospect available.

Team need and runs dictate a lot of the flow and where guys drop.

A more specific example of something I cannot stand personally that I’m hearing….Picking Morgan doesn’t mean they didn’t like Barton…no, it could be they had them very similar but they see more in Morgan either overall or in the specific plan they think fits the best 5 approach.
And Barton and Morgan are different players. Morgan is an experienced, 3 year player at LT. He can also very likely play any T or G position on the line, and that versatility is valued in GB.

Barton projects as a G/C. While the Packers will still take a G or G/C, that wasn't as important as T.

And yeah, when there are 10 plus guys at QB and WR (and one TE) who are gonna go in the top 15, other guys move back. That has more to do with numbers than talent.

One surprise was DeJean not being selected. As always, the GMs know a lot more than the fans. Seems DeJean is not fully recovered from a broken leg. Even so, he might be a good pick up if he's there at #41, although I'd rather see LB Edgerrin Cooper taken is he's there. That said, it won't be either.......

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I get the pick. I just think they could have easily gotten him in the 2nd round. They could have had Wiggins, which is the guy I wanted them to take. What do I know though. Again, I'm just a dude sitting on a lazy boy in Appleton.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Agreed Krabs. Morgan is maybe there at #41. But Gluten had his eyes on him and wasn't going to risk losing him, and there weren';t any better choices IMO. He could have traded back and maybe still been able to get Morgan. But GMs know a lot more about the fine details of these guys than we do.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As for the secondary, DeJean has slipped out of round 1. He may yet be a day two pickup for the Packers, or LB Edgerrin Cooper. I expect another OL, a RB or two, and the rest of the picks on defense.

I loved how round 1 went and how a lot of defensive guys that were predicted to go first round, will still be waiting today to hear their name called. With 4 picks tonight (slated to be in the next 59 picks), Gute should have a decent chance to improve the defense.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved how round 1 went and how a lot of defensive guys that were predicted to go first round, will still be waiting today to hear their name called. With 4 picks tonight (slated to be in the next 59 picks), Gute should have a decent chance to improve the defense.
Agree. Gluten got his guy at T, and while the top corners are off the board, there is plenty of talent left to fill needs and/or build depth. It should be an interesting day two in the draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Imagine the minds blown if Gute drafts DeJean with #25 and then today trades both his 2nd rounders to move up to take Morgan.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Good points. Barton was a popular pick, but he projects at G or C, not T. And Morgan is a very versatile guy and has 3 full seasons at LT with Arizona.

I think he might have been there at #41, giving Gluten an opportunity to trade back. I'm thinking he tried that and didn't get any takers. Or, Morgan was his guy all along, and that's fine.

Or, maybe Tampa orDallas would've picked Morgan, instead of Barton or Guyton.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I did actually just hear that the Cowboys traded down thinking they could get Morgan. It's rumor mill talk, but maybe the Packers know what they are doing. :confused:
It would be interesting to know how much info each team has on the others, when it comes to draft picks. I can say this with 100% certainty, Gute doesn't pick Morgan at #25, if he is 100% sure that he will still be there at #41. I 100% doubt that he had those kinds of sureties, he obviously got a guy he wanted.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Barton and Morgan are different players. Morgan is an experienced, 3 year player at LT. He can also very likely play any T or G position on the line, and that versatility is valued in GB.

Barton projects as a G/C. While the Packers will still take a G or G/C, that wasn't as important as T.

And yeah, when there are 10 plus guys at QB and WR (and one TE) who are gonna go in the top 15, other guys move back. That has more to do with numbers than talent.

One surprise was DeJean not being selected. As always, the GMs know a lot more than the fans. Seems DeJean is not fully recovered from a broken leg. Even so, he might be a good pick up if he's there at #41, although I'd rather see LB Edgerrin Cooper taken is he's there. That said, it won't be either.......
He’s a safety prospect. Safeties don’t go high and rarely first round unless a Hamilton type prospect or a team is in love

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know how much info each team has on the others, when it comes to draft picks. I can say this with 100% certainty, Gute doesn't pick Morgan at #25, if he is 100% sure that he will still be there at #41. I 100% doubt that he had those kinds of sureties, he obviously got a guy he wanted.
He also could've been just flat out the highest rated player on their board. If I remember correctly, the Packers did not use all of their allotted time on the clock before making the pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He also could've been just flat out the highest rated player on their board. If I remember correctly, the Packers did not use all of their allotted time on the clock before making the pick.
I noticed that too. Morgan was the guy they wanted, he was there, they weren't waiting for a trade offer, Gute got it done.

I know I joked about Morgan saying that he "was a 5th round prospect for me", but I think Gute really got the guy he wanted and wasn't going to risk losing him by gambling on him dropping to #41. I am also confident that Gute will probably grab a guy at #41 (if he keeps that pick) that he also covets. With all the offensive players that went in the 1st round, it wouldn't surprise me if Gute gets a guy at #41 that he was considering putting a 1st round grade on.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah looking at Morgan versus Mims, Morgan had 37 starts at LT and Mims had 7. Barton projected as a G and Guyton could only play LT. Morgan was Gluten's guy and he took him. Not ****, not risky, just a solid pick.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed Krabs. Morgan is maybe there at #41. But Gluten had his eyes on him and wasn't going to risk losing him, and there weren';t any better choices IMO. He could have traded back and maybe still been able to get Morgan. But GMs know a lot more about the fine details of these guys than we do.
He didn't think so. He said they had offers to trade down, but weren't interested. Morgan was the guy he wanted at 25, and that was that, because he didn't think he'd last.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't think so. He said they had offers to trade down, but weren't interested. Morgan was the guy he wanted at 25, and that was that, because he didn't think he'd last.
I think that's right. And Barton and Guyton went right after Morgan. Looking at Morgan and his history, he was the best O linemen when Gluten picked. Good call.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have only been in the Amish contest for a few years, but it sure seems to me that E. Cooper is the highest correct pick I have seen. It seems half of the people in the if you were the GM had him at 41 also.