2022 Draft Players To Watch Discussion Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
However to pretend we need a WR1, WR2 and WR3 is just something I cannot acknowledge as valid.

Don't worry I'm not saying don't go get a WR - I 100% would and expect minimum one, maybe two picked with our first 4 picks and perhaps a trade up scenario for sure is more likely especially IF Gute only has one or two he prefers to not allow to go elsewhere.
I think long range thinking we do need WR1-4. This year, I don't expect any rookie we get will play like a #1 WR. Maybe in year 2 or 3. So that leaves you with Cobb, Lazard and Rodgers to fill in the rest. Or you sign a guy like Julio Jones/AJ Green for a cheap 1 year deal, he plays your #1, Cobb and Rodgers split time in the slot and Lazard is your other outside guy. When you want Lazard inside, you bring in one of the rookies (I assume 2 rookies will be drafted/make 53). I see a WR room looking something like Julio Jones, Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, Olave and Pierce.

Then next year, you have those 2 rookies, Rodgers and maybe Lazard to hopefully form your 1-4.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think long range thinking we do need WR1-4. This year, I don't expect any rookie we get will play like a #1 WR. Maybe in year 2 or 3. So that leaves you with Cobb, Lazard and Rodgers to fill in the rest. Or you sign a guy like Julio Jones/AJ Green for a cheap 1 year deal, he plays your #1, Cobb and Rodgers split time in the slot and Lazard is your other outside guy. When you want Lazard inside, you bring in one of the rookies (I assume 2 rookies will be drafted/make 53). I see a WR room looking something like Julio Jones, Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, Olave and Pierce.

Then next year, you have those 2 rookies, Rodgers and maybe Lazard to hopefully form your 1-4.

Disagree.

Lazard is a #3 right now without question in my mind. His quality reps, snaps and production when called on + his blocking has him locked there and is going to be VERY tough to unseat. At best you may have someone battle to be the 3B/3A with him. Personally, outside of Julio - I don't see a WR in FA that I'd pick up (Fuller - suspension & OBJ - injured) that I have more confidence in producing than Lazard, and if he does I fully expect him to be extended.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Disagree.

Lazard is a #3 right now without question in my mind. His quality reps, snaps and production when called on + his blocking has him locked there and is going to be VERY tough to unseat. At best you may have someone battle to be the 3B/3A with him. Personally, outside of Julio - I don't see a WR in FA that I'd pick up (Fuller - suspension & OBJ - injured) that I have more confidence in producing than Lazard, and if he does I fully expect him to be extended.
You might want to reread what I said, I was giving Lazard credit for being a #2 this year. lol

I think Lazard is just fine, I am talking about next season and if they can or can't justify paying him. Now if they can work out a reasonable 2-3 year deal, I think he is a valuable guy. Next year I was planning on no Julio, no Cobb and Amari is the wild card. If your 2 second year WR's are playing well, you have a great problem if Amari is too.

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha, I didn't mean that like we literally need to go out and grab 3 WRs in this draft, but rather just to emphasis how big of a need it is for me...
Like, you're up with Pick 22. Have you already filled your need at WR (no, lol)? Is a guy you like available? Then get him.
Now it's pick 28. Between pick 22 and free agency/trades/etc, do you feel like you've met your need at WR? Yes? Well, I kinda doubt that, but okay. Go BPA then, or take who you like at OL, DL, edge, etc. If no...is a guy you like available? Then go and get him, too.
Now we're into the second round. Between pick 22, 28, free agency, trades, or some combination of all of the above, some draft-maneuvering/trading, etc...have you sufficiently met your needs at WR? If yes...great to hear. Now start to address your other needs. If no...it might be time to try and move up from 53 to ensure you get that taken care of.

And so on and so forth.

So I'm not saying that we have to go out and get 3 WRs with our first 4 picks or anything like that, but basically like...when it comes time for you to pick (or make a trade up/down, etc), Question Number One that HAS to be answered each and every time you're up - it HAS to be "Have I already sufficiently met my team's needs at WR yet?" - and if the answer is "no" then you better have a really, really good reason for taking someone else, lol.

But I do generally agree with the sentiment that we have both a short- and long-term need at the position, too. Lazard is a solid option but Cobb and Lewis' careers are winding down, Amari is a big question mark at the moment, and the rest of the receiving core largely looks like a handful of JAGs at the moment (no offense meant of course) who I wouldn't really count for much in long-term plans at this moment. Of course that's more of a big-picture concern and maybe something to address next year and/or in the coming years, but we certainly could use just about all the immediate help we could get, too.

(As an aside, I think this is probably a good example for why it's still prudent to spend draft capital on a position that you may be well-stocked at presently, but that's probably a discussion for another day)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
(As an aside, I think this is probably a good example for why it's still prudent to spend draft capital on a position that you may be well-stocked at presently, but that's probably a discussion for another day)
You always want to keep an eye on the roster for next year and beyond when drafting. I really don't like drafts where you are forced into finding a starter. I prefer drafts where you are looking for next years and beyond starters. If the draft was today and most of the top FA WR's were gone, the Packers would absolutely have to take need over best player and probably attempt to find 1-2 starting WR's in the first 2 rounds. If they can at least get a decent FA WR signed, that need is toned down a bit and if a top 10 non-WR falls to them at 22, the Packers probably can feel comfortable grabbing him and use the 28th pick on WR or if the top guys are gone, use both 2nd rounders on the 2nd wave of receivers.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You always want to keep an eye on the roster for next year and beyond when drafting. I really don't like drafts where you are forced into finding a starter. I prefer drafts where you are looking for next years and beyond starters. If the draft was today and most of the top FA WR's were gone, the Packers would absolutely have to take need over best player and probably attempt to find 1-2 starting WR's in the first 2 rounds. If they can at least get a decent FA WR signed, that need is toned down a bit and if a top 10 non-WR falls to them at 22, the Packers probably can feel comfortable grabbing him and use the 28th pick on WR or if the top guys are gone, use both 2nd rounders on the 2nd wave of receivers.
Pretty much this for me, although at this point I am not really very sold on any of the remaining FA options...
At this point I'd probably rather burn a second and change or perhaps even a first on a top WR in trade rather than going with FA+draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Always fun to see who the Packers visit with Pre-Draft. They get 30 private visits. Appears that they have only brought 2 guys in so far, WR Treylon Burks, Arkansas and Edge rusher Sam Williams, Ole Miss.

I really like Treylon and when you look at all 32 teams pre-draft contacts, he shows up on all 32 teams list of some kind of meeting with him.

The Packers list so far:
  • Treylon Burks, Wide Receiver, Arkansas (COM, PRI)
  • Tyler Linderbaum, Center, Iowa (COM)
  • Chris Olave, Wide Receiver, Ohio State (COM)
  • Malik Willis, Quarterback, Liberty (COM)
  • Sam Williams, Ole Miss. (COM, PRI)

ptisme

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We fell into that trap the last time the draft was suppose to be very deep in WR talent and we came out of it with zero WR's. Now here we sit with very little, other than UDFA's and a vet we cast off years ago.

Unless Gute lands a whale or 2 in free agency, the Packers would be nuts not to take at least 1 WR in their first 2 picks.
Yeah they need to take a WR with one of those picks. I meant to trade one of them

ptisme

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's my feeling, too.

I said it elsewhere but IMO there are probably 4-5 teams picking ahead of us who could all conceivably view WR as a "priority" target for them. For me, that's Atlanta, Washington, New Orleans, Philly, and maybe someone like the Jets (and you could probably make a case for the Giants and Texans too, though they might have bigger needs first). I don't know that all 4-5 (or more) will guaranteed go WR, but it seems like at the moment there are about 5ish players who are generally viewed as the consensus top 5 WRs in the draft: Wilson, London, Olave, Burks, and probably Williams (though I don't see him as a first-choice option for us at 22 simply due to availability. Maybe if we wanted to double-dip and he was available at 28 after taking one of the others at 22, I guess). And then I think you have a couple of guys like Dotson or Watson who have been "risers" and are probably viewed as on the fringe of that group, but beyond that point there aren't really many players with first-round value, IMO.

And for me if we don't take WR at 22, there's a few more teams who could certainly stand to take a WR between there and 28: Arizona, Dallas (though to be fair I believe Jerry Jones just said something yesterday to the effect of "We'll take IOL unless a CeeDee Lamb or Micah Parsons are available there), Buffalo, Tennessee, and perhaps Tampa. All that to say that if we don't take a WR at 22 it's not entirely inconceivable that all of the "First-round graded" WRs are off the board by the time we get to 28.

At that point then it probably makes most sense to trade down into a higher second round pick because again there's a lot of WR-needy teams between 28 and 53 (Detroit, Jets, Giants, Houston, Chicago, Indy, Atlanta, Cleveland, Washington, New Orleans, KC, Philly, etc - with a number of them having multiple picks in that span). So if we pass at 22 and the "first round" guys are gone at 28 and we don't trade down into a higher 2nd-rd pick then you run the risk of missing out on a lot of the "tier 2" guys, too.

All that to say that like you said - unless we really make some moves in FA or pull off a big trade I think it would pretty much be suicidal to not take a WR in the first, and for me I'd be much more comfortable with that selection coming at 22 rather than 28. I understand the idea of taking the best player available - and it may be that there is a good DL or OL prospect who falls that far - but at some point I think need has to outweigh that - and for us our need at WR is far, FAR greater (IMO) than at DL or OL or anywhere else. So much so that I'd argue that there's more value for us in taking a WR with a mid-to-late 1st-rd grade at 22 than there would be at taking a DL or OL with a higher mid-1st rd grade in that spot, really.
Yeah if that happens I’d rather trade back or take a stud that fell at a different position than reach for a guy that doesn’t belong in the first round. I think there’s a decent chance one of the top WRs will be there at 22. So many teams need CB help, QB and OT help

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah they need to take a WR with one of those picks. I meant to trade one of them
I hope if he is going to trade one of his first rounders, if is for a starting WR, that is currently on another roster. Now if he thinks that he has to trade up to get the 1 or 2 WR's that the Packers think are a lot better than any other WR, than do it.

ptisme

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope if he is going to trade one of his first rounders, if is for a starting WR, that is currently on another roster. Now if he thinks that he has to trade up to get the 1 or 2 WR's that the Packers think are a lot better than any other WR, than do it.
This is a deep draft at areas we need help: WR, DT, edge and Oline. I hope he doesn’t trade up

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is a deep draft at areas we need help: WR, DT, edge and Oline. I hope he doesn’t trade up
I'm not a big fan of trading up either, acutally prefer trading back and getting more picks. However, I have no clue what Gute's draft board looks like. I think we all can agree and no doubt Gute probably does too, the Packers need to find a starting WR in the draft. Given that, if there are only 2 guys they view as filling that need and the only way to get them is to trade up, I would be fine with it. My feeling is that there are 4-6 WR's that fill that need, so the odds are high that the Packers will have a shot at 1 or more of them with #22. If there 3 or 4 still on the board, I can see them waiting until #28 to grab one of them.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Always fun to see who the Packers visit with Pre-Draft. They get 30 private visits. Appears that they have only brought 2 guys in so far, WR Treylon Burks, Arkansas and Edge rusher Sam Williams, Ole Miss.

I really like Treylon and when you look at all 32 teams pre-draft contacts, he shows up on all 32 teams list of some kind of meeting with him.

The Packers list so far:
  • Treylon Burks, Wide Receiver, Arkansas (COM, PRI)
  • Tyler Linderbaum, Center, Iowa (COM)
  • Chris Olave, Wide Receiver, Ohio State (COM)
  • Malik Willis, Quarterback, Liberty (COM)
  • Sam Williams, Ole Miss. (COM, PRI)
It's why we have an existing thread devoted to it
https://www.packerforum.com/threads...sit-thread-30-official-ones-can-happen.84626/

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of trading up either, acutally prefer trading back and getting more picks. However, I have no clue what Gute's draft board looks like. I think we all can agree and no doubt Gute probably does too, the Packers need to find a starting WR in the draft. Given that, if there are only 2 guys they view as filling that need and the only way to get them is to trade up, I would be fine with it. My feeling is that there are 4-6 WR's that fill that need, so the odds are high that the Packers will have a shot at 1 or more of them with #22. If there 3 or 4 still on the board, I can see them waiting until #28 to grab one of them.
It wouldn’t bother me to get our WR at #22 and get that behind us. Then offer a trade back from #28 into that early Round 2 area. 2(1)-2(8)

In 2017, trading back From #29 to #33 with Cleveland netted us a #106 4(1)

I wouldn’t be opposed to doing something similar with #28 (if we stay very early Rd2) and get an extra 3rd Rounder. That’s going to be a great area to nab a TE, LB, CB, Safety etc.

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn’t bother me to get our WR at #22 and get that behind us. Then offer a trade back from #28 into that early Round 2 area. 2(1)-2(8)

I wouldn’t be opposed to doing something similar with #28 (if we stay very early Rd2) and get an extra 3rd Rounder. That’s going to be a great area to nab a TE, LB, CB, Safety etc.
That's where I'm leaning too.

Much rather get a starting-quality WR at 22 then trade back from 28 for "value" instead of taking "value" at 22 and hoping we can fill our holes at WR later on.

Reaction score
Georgias Nakobe Dean is a very intriguing late Round 1-Early 2nd Round prospect. Him and Campbell would be formidable

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Agreed. Unless a QB is there at #28 ;)

But yes, if the players available at 28 are similar to each other or don't fill a need, trade out of the first and pick up an extra pick and an early second.

I will say that in some mocks I have done, London and Olave are there at 22 and Burks is still there at 28. I think I might wet my pants if they took London or Olave with 22 and followed it up with Burks at 28.

ptisme

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I just did a pair of 4 rd mocks with this in mind. Took the receiver at 22 for both. Then traded back multiple times after that to collect multiple day 2 picks. I used the Walter Football trade value chart and involve any 2023 picks in the trades. This shows the talent we could infuse (yes, we'd need trade partners) with collecting a bevy of second rounders from different teams:
  • 22. Chris Olave WR Ohio State
  • 41. Travis JonesDT Connecticut
  • 44. Arnold Ebiketie EDGE Penn State
  • 57. Jalen Tolbert WR South Alabama
  • 59. Tyler Smith OT Tulsa
  • 89. Kingsley Enagbare EDGE South Carolina
  • 99.Nick Cross S Maryland
22. Olave WR
44. Jahan Dotson WR
53. Boye Mafe Edge Minnesota
59. Arnold Ebiketie Edge Penn State
67. Phidarian Mathis DT Alabama
78. Daniel Faalele OT Minnesota
92. Nick Cross S Maryland
132. Jelani Woods TE Maryland
140. Cade Mays OG Tennessee

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So I just did a pair of 4 rd mocks with this in mind. Took the receiver at 22 for both. Then traded back multiple times after that to collect multiple day 2 picks. I used the Walter Football trade value chart and involve any 2023 picks in the trades. This shows the talent we could infuse (yes, we'd need trade partners) with collecting a bevy of second rounders from different teams:
  • 22. Chris Olave WR Ohio State
  • 41. Travis JonesDT Connecticut
  • 44. Arnold Ebiketie EDGE Penn State
  • 57. Jalen Tolbert WR South Alabama
  • 59. Tyler Smith OT Tulsa
  • 89. Kingsley Enagbare EDGE South Carolina
  • 99.Nick Cross S Maryland
22. Olave WR
44. Jahan Dotson WR
53. Boye Mafe Edge Minnesota
59. Arnold Ebiketie Edge Penn State
67. Phidarian Mathis DT Alabama
78. Daniel Faalele OT Minnesota
92. Nick Cross S Maryland
132. Jelani Woods TE Maryland
140. Cade Mays OG Tennessee
Which simulator did you use, there are several. Do a Google search of "NFL Draft simulator" and do a bunch of different sites. You will find your results vary quite a bit and the reason for it, each site ranks the players completely differently. PFF may have updated since some of the college workouts, but for awhile they had either none or just 1 QB going before the Packers picked at #22. I really doubt that happens.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which simulator did you use, there are several. Do a Google search of "NFL Draft simulator" and do a bunch of different sites. You will find your results vary quite a bit and the reason for it, each site ranks the players completely differently. PFF may have updated since some of the college workouts, but for awhile they had either none or just 1 QB going before the Packers picked at #22. I really doubt that happens.

Which is why don’t rely on sites rankings of players - build your own. Sure too 50 or so will be similar for most part as upper guys filter themselves up but you gotta do your own beyond that otherwise you’re basically just regurgitating auto drafts by site

ptisme

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They do... Even in this one sometimes the top 3-4 WR's are gone... I used PFN for the purposes of this post because the trading just goes smooth... When Olave, Wilson and London are all gone at 22 I trade out of it unless there's a stud OT or Jordon Davis sitting there... I feel after those three I can find value with getting two WR's round two (In that case they'll need to sign a FA WR).

ptisme

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is why don’t rely on sites rankings of players - build your own. Sure too 50 or so will be similar for most part as upper guys filter themselves up but you gotta do your own beyond that otherwise you’re basically just regurgitating auto drafts by site
I agree with this... My point was just to show all the good players at multiple positions available rd 2

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You have a better handle on college guys. If I did that, I would be lying to myself that I knew more than the people who do it professionally, I don't.

I enjoy doing a bunch of simulators, I began to see where guys might fall. Between now and the draft, guys will be moving up and down boards. Always seems to be a new flavor of the day.

Latest posts