2022 Draft Players To Watch Discussion Thread

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta discuss quite possibly the most unique weapon and player in this entire draft class: Marcus Jones of Houston.

His measurables known are: 5'8' 185lbs

Positions he plays: slot cornerback, premium returner and even some WR play because of his playmaking skills once the ball is in his hands.

Honestly, this cat is such a unique and "dynamite" big play guy that I could see him slipping up into the middle to early second round for a team that takes the gamble on the massive splash plays he can produce once the ball is in his possession. Nine return touchdowns is insane, and over three years he's only been credited with one "muff". If he was 5'11' or had a height that started with a 6 I'm telling this dude would have his name in discussions for first round....fact is he simply is small, despite his play being anything BUT that. Reminds me of the Honeybadger Mathieu in how he attacks players, loves hitting and shies away from not one single man....his coverage mirroring skills are excellent and it is only on jump balls which he struggles because of course you only can elevate so high when you start where he does.

I see a slot man with excellent coverage skills for sure, especially when dealing with shorter playmaking slot WRs lined across from him...and a guy that with his pick can swing the pendulum on special teams arguably more than any other single player you could draft in the 2022 draft.

Most folks admit he is one of the toughest players to predict because tons of his traits say 2nd round he will go...other traits argue 4th round.....I'm firmly in the camp that if he is there when we pick in the 3rd and I weigh our IMMENSE issues on special teams, depleted roster of CBs if we haven't picked one prior - Marcus Jones is the name I would have the HARDEST time NOT writing down for my pick.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Officially christening CB Zyon McCollum of Sam Houston State my this year's Robert Rochell - that tiny school guy that many don't view as worth a pick prior to the 6th at earliest...that I think will hear his name earlier than the half way point of Day 3 than after and perhaps early in the rounds that day. Rochell was from Central Arkansas, and went in the 4th round at pick 131 to the Rams...and won a Super Bowl his rookie year, produced 1 INT and a PFF overall grade of 61.9 which is VERY RESPECTFUL (Stokes for reference ovr PFF was 66.3).

I fully admit Zyon was not on my radar with some early mocks (Picked him in the 7th round) in one mock...but as I scouted him more, watched some tape - I strongly believe no matter if a mock engine has him there that he will last that long.

6'3' or 6'4' depending the source and 195lbs - The size of this dude checks all the boxes you want from an outside CB at the NFL level....especially because it doesn't seem to come with a significant hindrance at all to the speed he produces as he is confirmed to have already run sub 4.4.

In coverage his size of course mixed with his ball skills (13 INTs in college) offer excellent problems for jump balls or fade tosses by the opposition. His hips and footwork appear to adjust quickly enough that he should be able to do well wherever a team lines him up or what type of receiver he is up against.

Tackling, the kid produced and some have said watching him makes you think back to the glory days of the Legion of Boom in Seattle with Sherman and Browner...

Yes, this smaller school gem has all the uncoachables - speed, height, accelleration, hips and a willingness to hit....what is coachable appears to already be quite good, with growth of course there to be had in footwork, recognition and disguises.

Don't be shocked one bit this kid is gone by the closure of the 5th round...or if you see Green Bay call his name with one of our 4th rounders. We have a surefire need at CB, especially if Douglas isn't resigned (or King even to a lesser degree)...adding a guy that instantly would be our CB3 behind Jaire and Eric with time to mature and grow before tasked with CB1 or CB2 roles could be dynamite.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A Day 2/Early Day 3 interior offensive lineman I have circled twice to target is Dohnovan West from Arizona State. Jenkins is hurt and Patrick is most likely not coming back, that means we have lost our second and third best center options behind Myers. West is a junior starting center from Arizona State that also has experience swinging inside to the guard positions with success. His hand strength and schematic awareness of diagnosis blocking assignments at center are excellent and only serve as a bonus when at guard. Easily could become a starting guard in the NFL, but I envision him in that Lucas Patrick role very much - battling for a starting guard assignment while being the designated #2 center on the team as well.

Keep an eye on West, if Turner stays and Yosh is back as a ERFA as we all expect, an interior swing lineman before or around the midpoint in the draft makes a lot of sense, arguably more than a tackle given the right personnel scenarios as described.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a sneaky pick for our end of First Round slot we presently hold. It isn't **** or a pick many are talking about but does cover a need and goes with a young (Junior) talent that is expected to produce a solid RAS score.

Daxton Hill S out of Michigan. Yes, he projects to be a starting Free Safety in the league but he can and does drop into the slot/coverage spot. Depending what happens with Rasul/King/Sullivan all hitting free agency there is a good need there to be the team's #3 CB, but also Safety play dipped just slightly and no one knows how long Amos will be here or if Savage after a slightly down year continues to grow or has he stalled out. Hill immediately can cover the slot role while also providing solidified depth at the Safety position.

He is a solidly built frame at 6'0' but only just over 190lbs. Depending what a team envisions his use could see him quickly push 200lbs and I don't think it would sacrifice much. One thing to keep an eye out on is this cats leeping ability....entering college he touted one of the best verticals and many wonder just how high he will push the vertical at the combine - he very well may set the top mark this year.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hill sounds like he would give GB flexibility & depth in the D backfield...but regardless of how good the back 5 is IF the D line & LB's struggle it doesn't matter how good the Safeties are. I think Gute needs to find a solid Safety in rounds 4-7, not our 1st. That needs to be an OLB if both Smiths are gone OR a starting caliber DL to pair with Clark, IMHO.

A very close 2nd priority is WR.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hill sounds like he would give GB flexibility & depth in the D backfield...but regardless of how good the back 5 is IF the D line & LB's struggle it doesn't matter how good the Safeties are. I think Gute needs to find a solid Safety in rounds 4-7, not our 1st. That needs to be an OLB if both Smiths are gone OR a starting caliber DL to pair with Clark, IMHO.

A very close 2nd priority is WR.

All depends what we do with Preston. Garvin has grown each of the last two years, Preston and Gary would be your clear top two and then a guy like Rivers (that many thought had earned #3 role) and others would battle for depth behind them. I LOVE the idea of taking a stand up edge guy (OLB) and often times find myself looking their way more than any position in the first round. However, no other position on the defensive side of the ball is as depleted as the DBs, cornerbacks especially (literally have Jaire and Stokes and then fresh draft pick that struggled in SJC and Ento who cannot get off the practice squad).

Lot of dominoes left to fall however before I'd christen a pure need chart done heading into the draft but only brought up Hill here as he appears to be a Gutey type guy being very athletic, young and can play a couple different roles in the secondary.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't know. preston has a history of alternating up and down years. he just had an up year and i'd almost be willing to put money on next year being a not-so-great year. i think we can find better uses for the money.
Preston has been solid all the time here, solely because he dipped in sacks the one year folks get critical of him.

I don’t want to see him gone at all, if we do it the defense will suffer a lot especially as z is gone too

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero interest in getting rid of Preston this year. That’s the wrong Smith to Cut

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero interest in getting rid of Preston this year. That’s the wrong Smith to Cut

He won’t be the first for sure, it is just a matter of if they do both or not. I don’t believe they will cut Preston.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm looking at his entire career, not just one year.

I had to read back as I was certain I didn't speak to one year either, I meant his time here in Green Bay - three seasons as of now, I'd expect soon to be four.

His sack production dipped in 2020 season for sure, and that was coupled with Gary taking on a larger role with a healthy Z, but he still was not bad that year. This year his sack totals were still beneath what many want - but I argue he was one of the pillars of that defense's success, truly consistent anchor.

He isn't an ELITE level guy, but is well above average at his position - don't expect double digit sacks from him year in and year out personally - Gary may get to that point player profile wise though.

Either way it doesn't matter much because I strongly expect he will be here in 2022 - Z won't be but Preston will be.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's get this back on track with another guy I love for mid rounds. WR Romeo Doubs out of Nevada, stands just shy of 6'2' (listed as such usually) and at 204 lbs he has a solid enough frame injuries are not a major concern, but Lord have mercy does he not have a burst and acceleration with that body that should easily assist him at the next level in getting open in more ways than depending just on his fast speeds (should run sub 4.4 or close). His 2021 statline was impressive with Strong throwing to him at 80 receptions, 1,109 yards and 11tds (average YPC was 13.9).

For a guy with immense foot burst, Nevada never really let him showcase that on east west routes but more stretch the field type routes...so the ability should be there and when he was asked Senior Bowl week he exihibited the ability of having a larger route tree than perhaps you might think watching his in season highlights. It is this which makes me feel he has a better chance to succeed in the NFL than our last comparison to him which is MVS. MVS had no route tree ability other than out run folks...Doubs can and has gotten open in manners other than run past a guy.

His lone nock according to some is body catches when in a crowd too much which does lead to some concentration/catch form issues in drops. Not a massive issues and honestly I am concerned less than many. Personally to me he is that immediate #3 level type guy possibly with a high ceiling potential....so while he isn't going to blow the gates down as the #2 opposite Adams if Adams is tagged, Doubs to me has a quicker chance to reach #2 than MVS had when he was a rookie

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who will the Packers get? How will they use draft picks? I like going through those scenarios. I even like trading picks, and doing mock drafts letting the computer pick for everyone except the Packers. It's a lot of fun, and you can see how well your picks rank against others.

I've made some very good decisions, and some bad ones in drafting, but I have yet to crack the big board. I've come fairly close, but no cigar.

Give it a try and put your results on this thread. It gives you all the options on players, and even helps rate them.

First Pick Drafting

My best Packer god score: 56,614

Here's one I did now, to show how it lays out.

Your score is: 55910 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:

Round 2 Pick 5 (HOU): Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State (A)
Round 3 Pick 5 (NYJ): Alex Wright, DE/OLB, UAB (A+)
Round 3 Pick 16 (HOU): Boye Mafe, DE/OLB, Minnesota (A+)
Round 4 Pick 3 (CAR): Alec Lindstrom, C/OG, Boston College (A)
Round 4 Pick 6 (NYJ): Charlie Kolar, TE, Iowa State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 32: Bryan Cook, FS/SS, Cincinnati (A+)
Round 4 Pick 34 (COMP): Henry To'o To'o, ILB/OLB, Alabama (A+)
Round 5 Pick 1 (CAR): Dameon Pierce, RB, Florida (A+)
Round 5 Pick 6 (CAR): Abraham Lucas, OT, Washington State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 20 (NYJ): Jaxson Kirkland, OT, Washington (A+)
Round 5 Pick 32: Matt Hankins, CB, Iowa (A+)
Round 7 Pick 7: Damarion Williams, CB, Houston (A+)
Round 7 Pick 32: Jordan Stout, P, Penn State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 38 (COMP): Dante Stills, DT, West Virginia (A)

Your Future Picks:
2023 Round 1 Pick
2024 Round 1 Pick

How You Matched Up:
1. Green Bay Packers - 55910
2. Jacksonville Jaguars - 55275
3. Baltimore Ravens - 55009
4. Kansas City Chiefs - 54107
5. Los Angeles Rams - 53595
6. Philadelphia Eagles - 53272
7. Cleveland Browns - 53168
8. Denver Broncos - 52589
9. Buffalo Bills - 52532
10. Houston Texans - 52134
11. Los Angeles Chargers - 51754
12. Cincinnati Bengals - 51545
13. Miami Dolphins - 51526
14. Indianapolis Colts - 51299
15. New York Giants - 51004
16. Atlanta Falcons - 50862
17. New Orleans Saints - 50786
18. Minnesota Vikings - 50492
19. Detroit Lions - 50454
20. Las Vegas Raiders - 50169
21. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 49837
22. New York Jets - 49780
23. Seattle Seahawks - 49771
24. San Francisco 49ers - 49505
25. Tennessee Titans - 48357
26. Dallas Cowboys - 47882
27. Chicago Bears - 47835
28. Washington Football Team - 47598
29. Arizona Cardinals - 46611
30. Carolina Panthers - 45377
31. New England Patriots - 45244
32. Pittsburgh Steelers - 45216

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Anyone else not very impressed with Drake Landon? Maybe I am missing something, but I feel like he is a WR of the NFL past. May work in some more traditional old school offenses, but I cannot see him fitting in schematically with most of the modern offenses out there.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
A day 3 prospect I really love is Zonovan Knight. He is not an elusive back, you like to watch on tape. But the kid has insane north to south speed off of counters and dives. He also brings value in the return game. I imagine he is going to go off at the combine and begin to climb. That north to south speed will obviously translate well in the 40 and the kid is built like a brick house so I expect him to impress scouts/coaches by his size.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else not very impressed with Drake Landon? Maybe I am missing something, but I feel like he is a WR of the NFL past. May work in some more traditional old school offenses, but I cannot see him fitting in schematically with most of the modern offenses out there.

The only aspect of him to nock is he isn’t very fast. Dude high points the ball, has exceptional hands and uses them better than most. Savvy route runner that should get better. I 100% love London in Green Bay and MLF to play with….that said I love Olave better for sure in our system.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's my favorite player in this year's draft:

OT Bernhard Raimann, Central Michigan

I don't know a whole lot about him but it would be pretty cool if the first Austrian player to ever be drafted ended up with the Packers :)

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my favorite player in this year's draft:

OT Bernhard Raimann, Central Michigan

I don't know a whole lot about him but it would be pretty cool if the first Austrian player to ever be drafted ended up with the Packers :)

Ooo...let's discuss Raimann since he got brought...quite the athletic background BUT not on the OL. Initially Raimann came to Central Michigan as a tight end prospect (also wresting and track/field too) who weighed only 230lbs. He actually spent the first two seasons at CM as a tight end, but as his frame bulked some and the strength with it the election to move him to OL happened and the dude has excelled at the tackle position despite being new to it. Now weighing in at over 300lbs on his 6'7' frame, he still moves like an oversized TE with his quick feet and hips which help him mirror against pass rush packages he faces. His ability to cover ground is a run blocking weapon which will catch many an OC's eyes when they watch his tape...all of this is why many are so high on his two or three year projection. The catch with him is just being so new to the position, despite excelling it is how early do you take a guy that if pressed into the starting job will still be learning perhaps more than a few other prospects that are ready now, but don't seem to have as high of a ceiling as Raimann.

I have him ranked after Faalele personally, which in my books has him outside the top five tackle prospects but he is securely in a fight for the 6th spot with the likes of Nicholas Petit-frere and Rasheed Walker whom I have right there too.

IMO Raimann is a top 70 or so prospect I fully expect to be gone before the end of the second round or first 5-10 picks in the third. He is that good.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like S Nick Cross from Maryland. He is a guy I would consider with the 3rd round pick.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like S Nick Cross from Maryland. He is a guy I would consider with the 3rd round pick.

Cross is one hundred percent a guy to watch for us to nab in the 3rd. Excellent range, doesn't have the natural ball skills Savage had coming out but plays the ball as well IMO...but is a differently built animal weight over 20 pounds more basically vs when Savage came out and is two inches taller. I'm very curious to see what Cross can deliver in the forty, vert and cones. He may very well push himself up too high to be an option end of 3rd for us.