2020 Packers first round pick: Jordan Love, QB

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m fine with this selection as long as Gutey keeps the throttle down (I’d prefer he burn 1 future draft pick in day 2 and move up again)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

good verses bad arguments.
Interesting clip.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mindblowing pick. I cant understand why they traded up for him. That makes the pick odder than he normally is.
Love is really talented and I can see why they pick him but I am not a fan of this. Packers were one game away from the SB and could have attacked one of the bigger needs directly in the 1st and they go for a back-up. The length of him being a back-up is minimum 2 years and maybe he will never play for the Packers.
This is such a weird draft to go bpa all of a sudden.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I will say this, had Gute drafted an OL or DT or pretty much any other position than QB, we would all be sleeping now.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I'm definitely not a fan of the Love pick, in fact I hate it just like I did the year we took Rodgers, when we had Favre. Breaking things down, I can justify why they did this, whether I want to give them the benefit of the doubt or not. Anytime you have a regime change, (new coach, GM) the potential for drafting a QB to have"your guy" happens more often than not. In fact there were rumors of taking Drew Lock last year with our 2nd pick in the 1st rd. Looking at this year, what if there is no college or NFL season because of covid-19...who next year would be eligible for the draft, will it be cancelled? Nobody playing games would completely mess things up for the 2021 season. If that happens, would Aaron contemplate retiring? Aaron is 36 and will turn 37 this year, regardless how many years he has left, he's reaching the end, and his play has shown it the past couple years. Aaron has had numerous injuries, and when he has gotten hurt, the season was lost, because aside for Matt Flynn, we never had a guy to take over. Making an investment in a 1st rd QB might be for the best thing for the organization, long-term. Maybe, just maybe, drafting Love will light a fire under Aaron, and get him playing like the old Aaron (he has always played with a chip on his shoulder, maybe he needs a bigger chip?) With all that being said, nobody can convince me tonight that this was the right pick, not tomorrow or the next day either. Overall, I feel robbed of the 1st day of the draft, and Gute better knock the rest of the draft out of the park.

Reaction score
Mindblowing pick. I cant understand why they traded up for him. That makes the pick odder than he normally is.
Love is really talented and I can see why they pick him but I am not a fan of this. Packers were one game away from the SB and could have attacked one of the bigger needs directly in the 1st and they go for a back-up. The length of him being a back-up is minimum 2 years and maybe he will never play for the Packers.
This is such a weird draft to go bpa all of a sudden.
I actually believe this next part. No player left at #26 or #30 in this draft is the difference in between winning a SB unless it’s a QB.
Secondly.GB has lots of options to improve this team more in the next 8 selections, Trading up again, Snatching players off Waivers, trade deals. Don’t count us out just yet.

PS. I feel a whole lot better if #12 gets injured again. Thanks Gutey. I value having a solid backup QB more than most though. I’ve seen some try to use a Kizer comparison. That’s laughable. Kizer went #52 overall and Love is much better than Kizer was. The only better overall QB athlete than Love is maybe Herbert in this draft. Love is bigger and stronger than “young” Rodgers and more well rounded than a Kizer was.

I see a little “young Favre” gunslinger arm (id like to hear Bretts opinion actually) If they can refine his occasional poor decisions watch out. This is the ideal QB room for that weakness. Can’t wait to see him develop in preseason. BPA and QB = Win

Last edited:

felix145

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might be the worst pick that could have happened.

You have HOF QB under a long contract, he is still very good and he is coming from a 13-3 season ending in the championship game. He is getting older, so he needs more weapons.
If you don't like whats there at #30 you trade down, but you just don't trade up to pick a QB, who probably won't play a season till his rookie contract is over. I don't understand this at all.

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers GM Brian Gutekunst on what the Jordan Love pick means for Aaron Rodgers: "We’ve got the best quarterback in the NFL and we plan to have him for a while” on Love being Rodgers’ eventual replacement: “I don’t think you can put that on him right now”

I mean......... wot?

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Packers GM Brian Gutekunst on what the Jordan Love pick means for Aaron Rodgers: "We’ve got the best quarterback in the NFL and we plan to have him for a while” on Love being Rodgers’ eventual replacement: “I don’t think you can put that on him right now”

I mean......... wot?

Gute has to know the optics of this draft pick. If hes not going to be an successor to Rodgers then why trade up and get him?

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come off the ledge people! I keep hearing the the Pack was just one game short of the Super Bowl last season. That is true but we were in no way a Super Bowl caliber team. Even with one of the top WRs or LBs available in that spot we weren't likely to be there this year either. I have seen a number of mock drafts by some of the "experts" that had us taking Love in the last couple of weeks. I am excited that we got him. He was being compared to Mahomes for his ability to effortlessly get the ball out. I would have loved one of the top WRs to still be available or Murry but when I saw that GB had traded up I figured it would be either Queen or Love. I have to give our front office/coaching staff credit for taking a team with many weaknesses as far as they did last year.
Go Pack! Go!
One other thing. This sounds a lot like the complaining when we took Rodgers in '05. Most of the fans on the Packers forum were livid then too. It will be years before we have any idea if this was a good move or not.

What? I agree we weren't on San Fran's level last year but to act like we couldn't possibly make Super Bowl adding a solid receiver either via FA or draft is crap.

Different situation, we weren't the same team that had a god awful defense in 04 that got embarrassed by Minnesota in the WC game. Some luck went our way last year but you have to be good to go 13-3 and make the NFCCG. Favre also contemplated retirement during that offseason. Rodgers has clearly stated he wants to play until his 40s. And the blueprint to win a SB in recent years is to win with a low payed qb (Russell Wilson, Mahomes, Wentz/Foles, even Brady on paycuts). What's the point in waiting to start Love in year 4 and pay him 15 mil per year? I feel bad Love is in this situation, he shouldn't be.

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute has to know the optics of this draft pick. If hes not going to be an successor to Rodgers then why trade up and get him?

It just basically makes the pick even worse post selection. Idk what that comment is even supposed to do for people lol.. "Aaron is gonna be our QB for awhile".. "Don't put that pressure on Jordan Love to be his successor"... Like, what?!

Reaction score
That’s actually easy. It take balls to go after BPA and not be concerned with us fans perspective (ask Ron Wolf about that)
He’s the best impact athlete available at #26 by far and some gave him a top #10 overall grade. Which other position is more important at #26 AND was ever mentioned top #10? (Actually top #6) Not even close.
I knew Gute was looking from pick #21 because that’s where the value started and it’s been his past MO. He confirmed that he actually started at #20 in post interview which isn’t some secret.
Gute puts a formula value on position strength mixed with rating to attain its overall value but he won’t divulge that info in interview because he knows its superior. In short, he can’t fully explain his teams draft decision without simultaneously jeopardizing their philosophy. The same reason why you never show your cards if you win the pot by everyone folding as you keep raising (bluff or not)

Last edited:

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute already used a former first round pick to get Deshon Kizer. Well Gute's qb judgment there sucked. Might as well have kept Kizer around because Love is cut out of the same cloth. If Gute was serious about winning he would've picked somebody that could help the team.

Funny you should mention Kizer... Just watched a film breakdown where they compared Love to Kizer. Gary last year and now this really have me scratching my head... I think it's starting to bleed. Maybe I should stop.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Interesting reactions by AJ Hawk and Pat McAfee on the pick

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`m just sitting here shaking my head. What the hell is up with you guys ? You`re writing the guy off before he even starts, you complain that the coaching staff have screwed us over with this signing. How about giving the coach a chance to do his thing ? We`re not going to win a superbowl in the near future and we all know it. Sometimes I despair of our fan base. TRY SUPPORTING THE COACH ! and let`s see what happens. It`s HIS *** on the line, not yours !

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
First skill position player picked by the Packers in the 1st round since Aaron Rodgers in 2005.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I`m just sitting here shaking my head. What the hell is up with you guys ? You`re writing the guy off before he even starts, you complain that the coaching staff have screwed us over with this signing. How about giving the coach a chance to do his thing ? We`re not going to win a superbowl in the near future and we all know it. Sometimes I despair of our fan base. TRY SUPPORTING THE COACH ! and let`s see what happens. It`s HIS *** on the line, not yours !

Just speaking for myself, but I have no issues with Jordan Love the player, he may end up being a decent QB. What I have a problem with is the fact that the Packers probably had 21 positions of greater need for the next 1-2 years. The Packers were a 13-3 team last year, that most thought just needed to fix a few areas to contend for a Super Bowl, QB being probably the lowest on that list.

Where this pick makes sense, is if the Packers know something about Rodgers future that we don't. Will this light a fire under Rodgers? I think more in a negative than a positive way.

LOL at this Tweet:

@AdamSchefter
And so former Packers’ HC Mike McCarthy gets a first-round WR in his first draft with the Cowboys. And Aaron Rodgers doesn’t get a first-round WR or RB for the 15th straight year. Packers get his successor instead.

Reaction score
Question. Does anyone really believe #12 plays three more years without ever missing some significant time? Not even to mention QBs retire, have career ending injuries, season ending injuries, contract disputes, etc.. etc.. (See Luck, Smith)
Also Aaron Rodgers contract “out” is really the year after next at $17M

Do we want Tim Boyle leading the charge? Do we just give up? Do we draft a QB at pick #32 and start him that season? Do we pay a veteran backup
5-10M? What’s the future alternative plan for an IRinjury? A 6th rounder? Grab a UDFA? Go Dolphins and tank.
I was initially being sarcastic but what’s the plan for life after Rodgers or in case of injury?

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don’t like the pick... but I’ll wait til the draft is over before I completely pass judgement. If memory serves me... Nick Collins was our second round pick the year we took Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Question. Does anyone really believe #12 plays three more years without ever missing some significant time? Not even to mention QBs retire, have career ending injuries, season ending injuries, contract disputes, etc.. etc.. (See Luck, Smith)
Also Aaron Rodgers contract “out” is really the year after next at $17M

Do we want Tim Boyle leading the charge? Do we just give up? Do we draft a QB at pick #32 and start him that season? Do we pay a veteran backup
5-10M? What’s the future alternative plan for an IRinjury? A 6th rounder? Grab a UDFA? Go Dolphins and tank.

You may remember, I am all about having a solid backup QB on a contending team, but a veteran QB with NFL game experience. I don't think a rookie is probably the guy I would call a solid backup, not for a Super Bowl contender. Nor do I use a first round pick after a 13-3 season, when #12 is your QB, even on a potential backup/future starting QB. How many years did it take Rodgers/Favre to develop? So sure, now we have a guy that is probably a bit better than Boyle would be in 2020, but I wouldn't call this a move to secure a solid backup for 2020 and maybe not even 2021.

I really have to conclude that either the Packers know something is up with Rodgers and he is out the door voluntarily or involuntarily in less than "playing into his 40's" as he has said. If that isn't the case, than Jordan Love had to be viewed as the second coming of Mahomes and they couldn't resist the value that they will eventually get out of him in a trade or as a future starter.

Reaction score
You may remember, I am all about having a solid backup QB on a contending team, but a veteran QB with NFL game experience. I don't think a rookie is probably the guy I would call a solid backup, not for a Super Bowl contender. Nor do I use a first round pick after a 13-3 season, when #12 is your QB, even on a potential backup/future starting QB. How many years did it take Rodgers/Favre to develop? So sure, now we have a guy that is probably a bit better than Boyle would be in 2020, but I wouldn't call this a move to secure a solid backup for 2020 and maybe not even 2021.

I really have to conclude that either the Packers know something is up with Rodgers and he is out the door voluntarily or involuntarily in less than "playing into his 40's" as he has said. If that isn't the case, than Jordan Love had to be viewed as the second coming of Mahomes and they couldn't resist the value that they will eventually get out of him in a trade or as a future starter.
I think you hit it. But first we both know at pick #26 (Or #30) is NOT going to change the dynamics and push us into a SB. We’re at least 3.13462 dominant players away from that either way.
Secondly, the draft isn’t over (being sarcastic but everyone’s acting like it is)
Third, the draft isn’t the only measure used to acquire players even if it was over.
Fourth, we’ve got one of the better QB
minded teams in the NFL and if they say Love is pretty solid (or can be relatively quickly) I’m on board with that thinking. Don’t think they didn’t tear his tape apart before parting with #26. Some saw a top #10 selection who took a minor step backwards, partly due to an array of conditions not all his fault and slid perfectly into our laps.

That’s not even getting into an entire debate about what the alternative veteran backup QB is going to cost.

I’m quite sure Gutey and his entire team were excited about this move for its relatively minor risk and that makes me feel much better

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i was surprised...but then I really wasn't. Gute just sees their situation for what it is. they're stuck between a rock and a hard place...and the cap is only making it tighter. the SB window was nailed shut by SF, Rodgers is trending in the wrong direction, he doesn't like the system, and MLF can't do anything about it. I've got a feeling the 2020 season may be Rodgers last in GB. they'll save a little bit of money but more importantly it will truly be MLF's locker room and Gute's team.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts