2020 Packers first round pick: Jordan Love, QB

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love is not a bad player... he could be a star, but my disappointment is that we were one game away from the Super Bowl and had some glaring holes that we could have picked someone that would have started to fill those holes.

Queen at ILB
Blacklock at DT
Josh Jones at OT
Mims at WR

Any of those would have made this team have a better chance at getting to the SB than Love does.
Stop that. You're making sense. Don't you know there are homers on this site that will defend any move by the Packers brass no matter how idiotic.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now there sure as hell will be tension in that room if Rodgers doesn"t demand a trade which he should do since Gute is rebuilding and couldn't care less about winning. I thought picking Gary at 12 was a disaster. This is worse.

Didn't someone ask AR several weeks ago how he would feel if we drafted a QB and he said he would treat this kid a lot better than Favre treated him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Scouting notes on Love. Kind of like Rodgers, I have to trust they know what they are doing, but damn....so many other needs!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I would love to think that this is just a precursor to a day 2 blockbuster trade with a team like Indy, but I know better. Gute is clearly in Love (pun intended) with this kid.

The free agency moves make even more sense now. Acquired a LB, WR, and stop gap RT so that those positions were tended to.

I think Jordan Love was the 1st round plan all along. They were going to acquire him come hell or high water.

They freakin MOVED UP to get him.

I’m shocked. But in hindsight, there were so many warning signs that we brushed off.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love looked fantastic in 2018 and didnt play quite as well in 2019. Had a new coaching staff so maybe that explains it.

He has the potential to be an excellent player.

Evidently in 2019 he lost his collegiate HC and several players at Utah State so his play suffered this past season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree. He does nothing to help the team unless you think a backup qb is so important that you leave glaring holes all over the roster. Next year, Love will ride the pines while the defense continues to get manhandled in the running game and Rodgers has noone to throw the ball to.
The Pack has been around since the 20s. I have been a fan for a long time myself. Would prefer not to go through the 50s and the 70s and 80s again. (I was not a real big fan in the 50's). I disagree with you in that you should have a little bit longer outlook when it comes to The Packers. When I say "keeping it going" I mean for another decade and more. Hopefully, that will be the case.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score

This is my reaction to this pick.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree. He does nothing to help the team unless you think a backup qb is so important that you leave glaring holes all over the roster. Next year, Love will ride the pines while the defense continues to get manhandled in the running game and Rodgers has noone to throw the ball to.

Well, if we want to make lemonade out of lemons I'd rather have Love behind AR than Boyle right now...

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to think that this is just a precursor to a day 2 blockbuster trade with a team like Indy, but I know better. Gute is clearly in Love (pun intended) with this kid.

The free agency moves make even more sense now. Acquired a LB, WR, and stop gap RT so that those positions were tended to.

I think Jordan Love was the 1st round plan all along. They were going to acquire him come hell or high water.

They freakin MOVED UP to get him.

I’m shocked. But in hindsight, there were so many warning signs that we brushed off.

We didn't move up all that much and lost a 4th. :unsure:

U.P. Packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come off the ledge people! I keep hearing the the Pack was just one game short of the Super Bowl last season. That is true but we were in no way a Super Bowl caliber team. Even with one of the top WRs or LBs available in that spot we weren't likely to be there this year either. I have seen a number of mock drafts by some of the "experts" that had us taking Love in the last couple of weeks. I am excited that we got him. He was being compared to Mahomes for his ability to effortlessly get the ball out. I would have loved one of the top WRs to still be available or Murry but when I saw that GB had traded up I figured it would be either Queen or Love. I have to give our front office/coaching staff credit for taking a team with many weaknesses as far as they did last year.
Go Pack! Go!
One other thing. This sounds a lot like the complaining when we took Rodgers in '05. Most of the fans on the Packers forum were livid then too. It will be years before we have any idea if this was a good move or not.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still shocked at this pick... To me it only makes sense if Gute thinks he can get great value with the rest of his picks or if he has a trade worked out that blows us away.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amazing that our GM's
Come off the ledge people! I keep hearing the the Pack was just one game short of the Super Bowl last season. That is true but we were in no way a Super Bowl caliber team. Even with one of the top WRs or LBs available in that spot we weren't likely to be there this year either. I have seen a number of mock drafts by some of the "experts" that had us taking Love in the last couple of weeks. I am excited that we got him. He was being compared to Mahomes for his ability to effortlessly get the ball out. I would have loved one of the top WRs to still be available or Murry but when I saw that GB had traded up I figured it would be either Queen or Love. I have to give our front office/coaching staff credit for taking a team with many weaknesses as far as they did last year.
Go Pack! Go!
One other thing. This sounds a lot like the complaining when we took Rodgers in '05. Most of the fans on the Packers forum were livid then too. It will be years before we have any idea if this was a good move or not.

We were 13-3 last year and with basically TWO major weaknesses that need to be resolved. We had an opportunity to start fixing those two weaknesses and instead drafted a player that might never play here. Love could become our Jimmy G if Rodgers is able to play to age 40-42. This draft could still get the job done to improve this team... but this pick has started the rebuild mode instead of the win-now mode that we as fans deserve.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute wants to win the SB with his own coach AND his own QB.

Sad a GM's ego gets in the way of a team that just made the NFC Championship game. This isn't the team that got slapped around by Minnesota in 04, this team is a piece or 2 away from being in the big game. Hope I'm wrong, but **** off Gute.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's not a popular pick, and it certainly isn't the one I would've liked for us to draft, but relax you guys. We still have plenty of picks. My only complaint is that we traded up to get him.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its only surprising they moved up to get him but I guess Indy was trying to trade up for him so Gute decided a 4th was worth it. Liked him going into the draft though as an option at 30 so a 4th isn't the end of the world

I'm kinda shocked the sheer number of posters who have admittedly said they don't know a whole lot about him. He was regarded as being one of the absolutely most talented QBs in draft but was extremely raw, had a huge boom or bust ratio and was going to need a few years of grooming no matter where he went. The Patriots were consistently linked to him along with one other team pre draft..... Oh yeah the PACKERS.

Seriously if you knew nothing or little about this kid why even comment on draft picks? You're obviously not following the players a team has been linked to

I'll give Gute credit. (and I've been harsher on Gutes ability to draft then most here). This picks took freaking balls. If he booms we have a 3rd strait MVP QB and Gute has a job till he gets dementia. If he bust he'll make Hundley look like a pro bowler and Gute is out of a job and won't be touched by a NFL front office. There's no real in between

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With instant gratification being all the rage nowadays I can certainly understand the disappointment with this pick. I can't say anything bad about that because its pretty much where I come down on it. like pretty much every play called during a game this could turn out to be a genius move...if it works out. Of course a lot has to happen over the next 10 years for that to be the case. It could turn out great but the downside is what could have been in the meantime. Of course that's something we will never know so I am not going to waste any of my time complaining about it. The pick was made and like anything else I have no control over what's done is done. I would have preferred another pick (Queen) but in 10 or 12 years, when we have our 3rd consecutive HOF QB and several more Lombardi Trophies, I'll be right there with everyone else proclaiming that I was behind the pick from the very beginning.

I won't play the "he would have been there at..." game because the truth is there is no way of knowing if it is true. There was a lot of love for Love (yeah I went there... sue me) in this draft but everyone knew he he would need a couple years to develop. I could very easily see the Patriots or the Colts moving up ahead of us at #30 to get him. Its exactly the kind of move I would have expected from Bill Belichick so in that respect I give Gute credit for identifying his man and going up to get him.

The bottom line is that while these 3 days are a nice diversion the NFL and I dare say even the Packers are not first and foremost on my mind right now. I admit my very first reaction was "he traded up for a QB!!! What a waste" but I'm pretty much over it. Life will go on...I hope.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Its only surprising they moved up to get him but I guess Indy was trying to trade up for him so Gute decided a 4th was worth it. Liked him going into the draft though as an option at 30 so a 4th isn't the end of the world

I'm kinda shocked the sheer number of posters who have admittedly said they don't know a whole lot about him. He was regarded as being one of the absolutely most talented QBs in draft but was extremely raw, had a huge boom or bust ratio and was going to need a few years of grooming no matter where he went. The Patriots were consistently linked to him along with one other team pre draft..... Oh yeah the PACKERS.

Seriously if you knew nothing or little about this kid why even comment on draft picks? You're obviously not following the players a team has been linked to

I'll give Gute credit. (and I've been harsher on Gutes ability to draft then most here). This picks took freaking balls. If he booms we have a 3rd strait MVP QB and Gute has a job till he gets dementia. If he bust he'll make Hundley look like a pro bowler and Gute is out of a job and won't be touched by a NFL front office. There's no real in between
If Belichick really wanted him, he was right there at 23. I’m not buying the Patriots hype.

You are definitely right about one thing. Gute’s got a set on him. That’s why I’ve called him grape fruit Gute in the past.

He better damn well hope he’s right. Because if not, it’s quite possible we’ve blown two first rounders in consecutive years. Jury still out on Gary.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does sound like it. It's like Gute is wanting to put his own team together, put his mark on it. It also makes for an insurance policy. There were a lot of posts this year about our backup QB being inadequate. And Rodgers has been banged up a lot in the past few years.

How long are rookie contracts for these days? It will probably expire before we get any real use out of him, barring some disaster.

Reaction score
I’m fine with this selection as long as Gutey keeps the peddle down (I’d prefer he burn 1 future draft pick in day 2 and move up again)

good verses bad arguments.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe this will work out in the end, and maybe we don't know the ultimate plan, so I don't want to crap on it too bad. It's just that it feels like we're spinning our wheels here.

U.P. Packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does sound like it. It's like Gute is wanting to put his own team together, put his mark on it. It also makes for an insurance policy. There were a lot of posts this year about our backup QB being inadequate. And Rodgers has been banged up a lot in the past few years.

How long are rookie contracts for these days? It will probably expire before we get any real use out of him, barring some disaster.

1st round picks usually get 4 years + 1 yr club option.

Members online

Latest posts