2020 Packers first round pick: Jordan Love, QB

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Don’t think they didn’t tear his tape apart before parting with #26. Some saw a top #10 selection who took a minor step backwards, partly due to an array of conditions not all his fault.

Agree, but this felt more like a 2021 or 2022 pick, if what most of us assumed to be the facts surrounding #12 were true. I now question those "facts" and just how long the Packers actually think that Rodgers will be their QB. This isn't like drafting a replacement for just any position or more importantly, any other player. Also, more importantly than how I feel, this has to be confusing for Rodgers if he in fact was planning on playing into his 40's as a Green Bay Packer.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i was surprised...but then I really wasn't. Gute just sees their situation for what it is. they're stuck between a rock and a hard place...and the cap is only making it tighter. the SB window was nailed shut by SF, Rodgers is trending in the wrong direction, he doesn't like the system, and MLF can't do anything about it. I've got a feeling the 2020 season may be Rodgers last in GB. they'll save a little bit of money but more importantly it will truly be MLF's locker room and Gute's team.
Couldn't agree more. This was a short AND long-term investment pick for the team when all things are considered. More draft picks and money saved for short-term, plus potential franchise quarterback and long-term extensions for current star players for long-term

Reaction score
Agree, but this felt more like a 2021 or 2022 pick, if what most of us assumed to be the facts surrounding #12 were true. I now question those "facts" and just how long the Packers actually think that Rodgers will be their QB. This isn't like drafting a replacement for just any position or more importantly, any other player. Also, more importantly than how I feel, this has to be confusing for Rodgers if he in fact was planning on playing into his 40's as a Green Bay Packer.
True. But here’s the good news. Rodgers has not played to his own standards and has no one to blame but himself for that. If he doesn’t keep sliding in performance then he has nothing to worry about. I look at it like this.. it’s a business and these are purely business decisions.
Maybe you’re right. Maybe there’s internal strife. No better way to humble someone than hire competition. I love Rodgers, but he’s not playing near MVP caliber and he needs to bring it this year.

I’m expecting GB trades up at least once more this draft (my guess is a future 2nd day selection if another player they deem strong slides)
Possibly two trades to get him a few weapons. He’s still our QB, it’s up to him now. I expect we will remain bold.

I’m exhausted. Nite nite my friends.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't like the selection of Love at all. While the move has a slim chance of working out the same way as Thompson drafting Rodgers in 2005 let's be realistic about it, that doesn't happen all that often in the first place. In addition it differs significantly from the situation 15 years ago as Rodgers hasn't hinted at retirement even once and Love wasn't considered to be a possible #1 overall pick who dropped for whatever reason.

In my opinion Love is a boom or bust prospect who is capable of making deep throws with ease but struggles with his decision making as well as when being pressured. While he put up decent numbers against Mountain West opponents he struggled against Power 5 teams throwing eight interceptions in four games against Wake Forest, Michigan State and LSU. In addition let's be aware that Love threw the most INTs of all quarterbacks in the FBS last season. While his numbers looked more impressive in 2018 you have to realize that he threw 18 of his touchdown passes in four games against BYU, Nevada-Las Vegas, New Mexico and San Jose State, teams which combined to have a 15-34 record while playing in the Mountain West conference.

I'm fully aware the Packers still have eight picks left and that it's way too early to evaluate this year's draft but on the other side there's no doubt the first rounder is the most valuable one and Gutekunst did nothing to upgrade the team for most likely at least the next two years. With the team having made the NFCCG last season I would have definitely preferred to spend the pick on another position to improve the chances of making it to the Super Bowl in 2020.

Once again, Gutekunst trading up to select Love might end up being a genius move down the road but at this point there's no reason to like it by any means in my opinion.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I understand why Gute made the move (put pressure on a declining Rodgers, prepare for a faster than we thought approaching future), I don't like it: It definitely is one or two years early.

Overall I have liked Gute, but I really don't like the trade-ups he has made so far. Both were player which, sure, are very real possibilities to be worth it, but were not of the utmost importance (Savage is very good but we could still have selected another very good S last year on our original spot).

That being said, this was the year to go fully invest in the offense around Rodgers and give him one more chance to prove he still got is when he has some actual support and a defense that bends but doesn't break. Brees and Brady have made it very far with such teams at an old age, why not give Aaron that chance?

We still desperately need a ILB and WR, a little less but still pretty desperate a OT, TE and DT and a new CB would have been nice. How are we possibly going to fill all these holes now?

Would have loved to see a trade down (or not even) and pick Josh Jones, Denzel Mims or Zach Baun, all potential differencemakers.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the pick. I will say, however, that this to me signals a "win now" mode more than a "rebuilding" mode. You don't trade up for a QB in the first unless you're pretty sure he's going to be starting for at least a year or two on his rookie deal. So we have a HOF quarterback in what looks to be his last 3 or w/e years with the team, you were just in the NFCCG, you have some excellent FA additions under contract over those next 2-3 years, some very good instant contributor draft picks from last year... to me the addition of Love gives us absolutely nothing but confusion, but it signals that we're in a "win now" mode. Definitely not a "win now" pick, but I feel it signals a "win now" mode starting. Assuming they've done their homework and Love was still worth it when they look back in a few years, then we have a few years left with Rodgers. He's not our QB into his 40's. Sad to say.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I`m just sitting here shaking my head. What the hell is up with you guys ? You`re writing the guy off before he even starts, you complain that the coaching staff have screwed us over with this signing. How about giving the coach a chance to do his thing ? We`re not going to win a superbowl in the near future and we all know it. Sometimes I despair of our fan base. TRY SUPPORTING THE COACH ! and let`s see what happens. It`s HIS *** on the line, not yours !
We want to win.that's why we are pissed. Wasting a pick on another Deshon Kizer when you have glaring holes on the roster just shows most of us fans want to win more than Gute. The more pertinent question is why do some fans always support the decisions of the front office no matter what. You have to go back to the John Hadl trade to find a worse decision.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers gave up a 4th round pick. Seems a little steep to move up 4 spots when the 3 teams in between, Seattle, Baltimore, and Tennesee will not be taking a QB. Must have thought some other team was moving up to get him. Dolphins took Tua already as well and didn't need him.

But Gute and MLF must have thought it was worth it.

I suspect Rodgers will handle the whole situation much better than Rodgers.

I feel better about the pick this morning. I have been very critical of AR last couple years and the decay in his production goes beyond the WR talent level, and still it surprised me.

Love after 2018 was seen as one of the top QB prospects before his setback this season. There are a bunch of reasons already mentioned, so I am optimistic that he will work through his issues and emerge as a very good QB.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well..... The original shock of not getting a lineman wr or I'll will fade away .... And people will start to realize there was a big hole filled here. #2 QB.
If Rodgers gets hurt(like the collar bone) , the season is now not over...
I mean last year we got real lucky none of the 3 crucial players (with no backup)didn't get hurt.

Those three are Rodgers, bahk, and Clark

I would have preferred a lineman myself...

But having a #2qb is important in the bigger picture. Step back and look at the roster. Top heavy at those positions. We need depth!!!!!!!!

And good quarterbacks aren't cheap....

isocleas2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too wanted the Packers to plug some holes (WR) and gives Rodgers a couple more years of superbowl contention.

However the realist in me sees how the team overachieved last year and is probably closer to a 9 win wildcard than they are a 13 win juggernaut. Also Rodgers has not aged nearly as well as Brady/Brees have. It's rare a qb can maintain elite play so late in their career might just be time to prepare for his end.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
If this happened to another team, I would say it is a smart decision. But as a fan, we want to win now. This reminds me of 2014 when the Patriots drafted Jimmy Garapollo in the second. I live in New England and everyone was so mad. I thought it was the smartest decision they could make. Draft their QB of the future. Then Bob Kraft decided to overrule Bill and trade him away to keep Brady another year...how did that work out?

Listen, as a fan I hate this pick, but as a football lover this is really the right decision. He is super raw, honestly reminds me of Rodgers. If the Packers have another seamless transition at QB after letting this guy learn under Rodgers for 3-4 years, this is the right decision for the Green Bay Packers. Maybe it even lights a fire under 12's *** next year.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this happened to another team, I would say it is a smart decision. But as a fan, we want to win now. This reminds me of 2014 when the Patriots drafted Jimmy Garapollo in the second. I live in New England and everyone was so mad. I thought it was the smartest decision they could make. Draft their QB of the future. Then Bob Kraft decided to overrule Bill and trade him away to keep Brady another year...how did that work out?

Listen, as a fan I hate this pick, but as a football lover this is really the right decision. He is super raw, honestly reminds me of Rodgers. If the Packers have another seamless transition at QB after letting this guy learn under Rodgers for 3-4 years, this is the right decision for the Green Bay Packers. Maybe it even lights a fire under 12's *** next year.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I'm at. Kid's only 21 years old too. Really didn't want to see a QB selection and the trade up confuses me, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I'll just somehow rationalize that our 1st round pick this year was Rashan Gary and make myself be happy with it :p

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too wanted the Packers to plug some holes (WR) and gives Rodgers a couple more years of superbowl contention.

However the realist in me sees how the team overachieved last year and is probably closer to a 9 win wildcard than they are a 13 win juggernaut. Also Rodgers has not aged nearly as well as Brady/Brees have. It's rare a qb can maintain elite play so late in their career might just be time to prepare for his end.
That being said, Rodgers can def still perform as a top 10 qb over the next 5 years, there is not a doubt in my mind. Not going after a qb this year gives us two viable picks to get a starter and get great depth at positions of need.

Sure, we would have still have had one weak position group (be it ILB, WR, RT, interior DL), but I believe we could have covered 3 of the 4 adequately and for the first time in my time as a Packer fan ('13) actually have a complete team. It's just too early to draft a QB (be it too early chronologically or too early in this particular draft) in my eyes, plain and simple.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if this coming season is cancelled. I will have to look at Love's work more tomorrow. Is is evident Gute is not just drafting for 2020. He must also feel he can get a WR tomorrow. When I saw we moved up I was sure we were going to take Queen.
I was saying that tongue in cheek, mostly :)

I was very surprised we took a QB and trying to calm myself out loud on here LOL

But really, if he's going to be great, this was a great pick. You never leave a QB that is going to be great for someone else.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hate the pick. I will say, however, that this to me signals a "win now" mode more than a "rebuilding" mode. So we have a HOF quarterback in what looks to be his last 3 or w/e years with the team, you were just in the NFCCG, you have some excellent FA additions under contract over those next 2-3 years, some very good instant contributor draft picks from last year... to me the addition of Love gives us absolutely nothing but confusion, but it signals that we're in a "win now" mode.

The Packers drafting Love in the first round signals the complete opposite of a win now mode in my opinion but a move that was made for years down the road.

Selecting a wide receiver would have been evidence for the Packers to primarily focus on 2020.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers drafting Love in the first round signals the complete opposite of a win now mode in my opinion but a move that was made for years down the road.

Selecting a wide receiver would have been evidence for the Packers to primarily focus on 2020.

I think common ground between our thinking is that this signals that they're planning for Rodgers to be done in GB in 3 or 4 years and not play into his 40's as he's expressed a desire to. Would you agree with that? I guess from there it's just a perspective thing. The Love pick itself is a pick for the future for sure, but given that I think it signals we are committing to a window of just a few years more with Rodgers, I think it signals the start of a win now period. We know we have 3 or 4 years with Rodgers left and we're moving on, so what do we do with it now? It may very well end up being that they just decide to roll with what we have for a few years until Love takes over, but mannnnn that would be depressing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop that. You're making sense. Don't you know there are homers on this site that will defend any move by the Packers brass no matter how idiotic.
I could just as easily explain it by saying many are looking at all the variables and thinking thru, one might say reasoning thru a decision they may not have seen coming rather than having strong emotional immediately following every decision like some others.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Love, but HATE the pick. Jordan is a solid human with solid NFL potential and his arm and legs are awesome.

This pick either is gonna blow this organization up slightly or Aaron just had a fire lit under him like no other. It is gonna be one of the two extremes.

Just crazy to think with Aaron's dead money and him not tradable that we did this....let alone the trade up when he was going no where till 30 unless someone else was trying to trade up.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disaster pick. Gute just sent the franchise into nuclear winter. Talk about killing the locker room. The whole team knows Gute could care less about winning for the next three seasons. This is a rebuilding pick.
And this is a ******** post. This draft is stacked with WRs and there are 6 rounds to go.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe this will work out in the end, and maybe we don't know the ultimate plan, so I don't want to crap on it too bad. It's just that it feels like we're spinning our wheels here.
kind of my feelings last night

I can understand the pick much more easily if he becomes great :)

Had to watch some videos of him this morning, and he can throw. He's not the run around, out athlete everyone around him, and toss to receivers running wide open down the field hyped up QB's we see so many times come from college. He can throw from the pocket or on the move. Eyes always downfield and his feet look very fluid and easy underneath him. that' probably is the first thing I noticed. Nothing looked forced or unnatural between feet, eyes and arm. and he can throw to covered guys and put it in a great spot for the WR.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packer's GM's as of late have just assumed that drafting late rounders for the offense is good enough. This team was ONE game away from the Super Bowl and needed a couple spot filled to get closer. Unless Funchess and ESB show mass improvement this offseason... we had a chance to get an offensive helper. We struggled against the run and had the opportunity to help that with Queen or Blacklock to help our defense. Love can help in 4 years or so.. but just doesn't make sense as of yet.

I don't think Rodgers has 4 years left in him. He is quickly approaching the same cliff that Peyton fell off when he was 39.