2020 Packers first round pick: Jordan Love, QB

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn’t Gute wanting to win with his coach and his Qb. He never would have given Rodgers a contract like that if it was his plan to replace him with his own guy.

If this is going to a great QB, then it’s not a bad pick. It remains to be seen. And 1 pick does not make an entire draft.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You win games and championships with quarterbacks in the NFL. While this pick surprised me too, I think that it’s pretty smart for the future. There are still a lot of good WRs out there. Gute does need to hit on his next few picks, but I have no reason not to trust him yet.

If this kid is the next QB of the future, we will all be swallowing crow. My only gripe is that we moved up to get him. I would have been happier if he fell to us at #30.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love looked fantastic in 2018 and didnt play quite as well in 2019. Had a new coaching staff so maybe that explains it.

He has the potential to be an excellent player.
They said on TV that last year his O line was a mess.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is not about rebuilding. It is about keeping it going.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You win games and championships with quarterbacks in the NFL. While this pick surprised me too, I think that it’s pretty smart for the future. There are still a lot of good WRs out there. Gute does need to hit on his next few picks, but I have no reason not to trust him yet.

If this kid is the next QB of the future, we will all be swallowing crow. My only gripe is that we moved up to get him. I would have been happier if he fell to us at #30.
I don’t care that they threw away a fourth to move up... I’m just disappointed that they didn’t get a decent player that can help now.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute already used a former first round pick to get Deshon Kizer. Well Gute's qb judgment there sucked. Might as well have kept Kizer around because Love is cut out of the same cloth. If Gute was serious about winning he would've picked somebody that could help the team.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One aspect to this is, what if 2020 football never happens? Then you are talking about a 2 year layoff for a QB that is older, no 2021 draft probably (or at least drafting guys that you have to look at 2019 tape on). Then that gives Love 2 years to learn.

At some point Rodgers had to move on. After this last season, if he continued to regress like last year, that window was probably after 2021.

Yes, the pick was a gamble and doesn't help in the short term, but one has to admit there are cracks/signs forming around Rodgers that the end is coming up quicker than maybe we think.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packer's GM's as of late have just assumed that drafting late rounders for the offense is good enough. This team was ONE game away from the Super Bowl and needed a couple spot filled to get closer. Unless Funchess and ESB show mass improvement this offseason... we had a chance to get an offensive helper. We struggled against the run and had the opportunity to help that with Queen or Blacklock to help our defense. Love can help in 4 years or so.. but just doesn't make sense as of yet.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they made this trade tomorrow with perhaps the Lions, I would get it. But it was not until the Lions tomorrow at 3 did I think another QB would be taken. Miami, Seattle, Ravens, KC, Titans, Bengals, Colts...none of them were going QB. 5th round option available tomorrow. But to trade up with no one ahead at the moment of thinking QB. I am sure teams would be inquiring to move up and make a move on him. But I just have a hardtime right now digesting this pick. There are so many more pressing needs glaring you in the face than a QB. Queen on the board. TJ Watt all over again.

I tend to lean pro-Gute, but this makes you wonder. I really hate this pick right now. He was high on Kizer too, they had considered drafting him. Is this guy a lousy evaluator of QB's?

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn’t Gute wanting to win with his coach and his Qb. He never would have given Rodgers a contract like that if it was his plan to replace him with his own guy.

If this is going to a great QB, then it’s not a bad pick. It remains to be seen. And 1 pick does not make an entire draft.

Except it was two picks

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is not about rebuilding. It is about keeping it going.
Disagree. He does nothing to help the team unless you think a backup qb is so important that you leave glaring holes all over the roster. Next year, Love will ride the pines while the defense continues to get manhandled in the running game and Rodgers has noone to throw the ball to.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rashan Gary at 12 was bad. This is worse.

Just a horrible pick. I'm done with this team. F you Gutey.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love is not a bad player... he could be a star, but my disappointment is that we were one game away from the Super Bowl and had some glaring holes that we could have picked someone that would have started to fill those holes.

Queen at ILB
Blacklock at DT
Josh Jones at OT
Mims at WR

Any of those would have made this team have a better chance at getting to the SB than Love does.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a joke...

Love is the first skill-position player the Packers have picked in the first round since they took Rodgers in 2005, and his selection ends the longest active such first-round drought in the NFL.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year, I predicted the Packers run defense was going to be a mess given the lack of talent on the dl. Sure looks like the wasted first round pick sets them up for another season where teams can run the ball down their throat. Yeh they can add some "depth" later in this draft but that won't make a difference.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know that I agree with it being a rebuilding pick.

I know nothing of the kid really but if you think a qb is going to be great, it’s the most important position on the field. Hard to leave him there for your competition.

besides, this year is cancelled, Trade Rodgers next year for a couple firsts and it looks smart :)

I don’t know, just trying to make myself feel better about a trade up for a QB

I don't know if this coming season is cancelled. I will have to look at Love's work more tomorrow. Is is evident Gute is not just drafting for 2020. He must also feel he can get a WR tomorrow. When I saw we moved up I was sure we were going to take Queen.