2020 Packers first round pick: Jordan Love, QB

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes you are correct
Bulaga’s market ask, age, and injury history made him almost impossible to keep BUT if you want to function, key elements must become priorities by immediate need....in this case not QBs or RB’s
Good point, especially because Rodgers can’t move around as in the past. Wagner at age 31 isn’t enough. I wonder if some of those late OL picks can play T. That said, I wouldn’t expect much out of them. But hey, Linsley was taken in the 5th round, Bak in the 4th, so who knows?

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF Rodgers should go down with an injury, I certainly expect Love to be a vast improvement over prior back ups. In a worst-case situation (Rodgers injured), I’d expect Love to come in and at least, at least play .500 ball until #12 returns.

That said, I hope we never get a chance to find out, if you take my meaning.

And yeah, this thread is about Love. At 21 pages, it’s bound to wander a bit, but shouldn’t.
Love wont be serviceable until 2021 at the earliest.....he’s a way too raw and unrefined in almost every area to be considered
They probably need him to be slotted as third on depth chart until 2022...

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Queen would not have been there at #30
Laviska was gone before 62...

Try again.
Right on both counts. Queen would have been a big upgrade to the run D. I was never crazy about Laviska. I was hoping Higgins would drop to #62. He was the first player taken in the 2nd round to the Bengals.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point, especially because Rodgers can’t move around as in the past. Wagner at age 31 isn’t enough. I wonder if some of those late OL picks can play T. That said, I wouldn’t expect much out of them. But hey, Linsley was taken in the 5th round, Bak in the 4th, so who knows?
It makes the timing and selection of the first three picks all the more bizarre

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez was a tackling machine.. but that’s only 1 aspect of his position that he graded A. The other aspects of his position bring his overall grade to a C+/B- GB didn’t need to pay a guy 10M to play at that level. You’ve overstated his total package and he’s not here for a reason.

1. You didn’t answer my question. What OT at #30 in this draft is an immediate upgrade over Bulaga?

2. Now after you answer that question (which you conveniently ignored).. Which RT at pick #30 would be an immediate day 1 marked improvement over our current veteran starter, Wagner?
Martinez was nowhere close to being worth $10 mil/year. Yeah he was a tackling machine, but lacked the speed to play sideline to sideline, a requirement for ILBs in this NFL.

When Dillon gets on the field, he may well be bigger AND faster that the ILBs chasing him. That’s the bright side on the Dillon pick.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love wont be serviceable until 2021 at the earliest.....he’s a way too raw and unrefined in almost every area to be considered
They probably need him to be slotted as third on depth chart until 2022...
Meaning the Packers have to carry 3 QBs. Not good. Let’s hope #12 stays healthy this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wagner isn't really close to Bulaga’s caliber ... some wish he is but my feeling is that he’s not

Considering the contract that the Chargers gave Bulaga and the one the Packers gave Wagner, I don't think their are very many people who would question this statement, including their new teams.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meaning the Packers have to carry 3 QBs. Not good. Let’s hope #12 stays healthy this year.
In my book this would be the case
I’m guessing Boyle or someone else will be either on roster or practice squad
In any case Love is not a viable option for at least two years which leaves us exposed

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering the contract that the Chargers gave Bulaga and the one the Packers gave Wagner, I don't think their are very many people who would question this statement, including their new teams.
Agreed.... balance economics against needs importance
Was BB “worth” want he got in an open market.... apparently so
But if the RT position turns into a turnstile and our backfield gets blown up because we chose not to contract to a key player....we should have retained him
Hence priority of position..... hence huge runs on fast receivers, mobile QBs, quick road grader tackles, hard hitting LB, lock down corners, and pass rushers
Notice....no RB’s, TE’s, or project QB’s....:)

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Expect to be drafting low for the next ? years. Quite a few years. There just aren't possible franchise QBs down there often. A lot of teams had Rodgers as a question mark. Or they just wanted to draft for that year. Love was a special case. Not so good 2019 but real reasons for it. So we took him while we could. And he will benefit from riding the bench. Trying to hit on a 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder is not a sane strategy. Happens of course but not a strategy. Selling the farm to move up is more sane. And we did not have to do that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In my book this would be the case
I’m guessing Boyle or someone else will be either on roster or practice squad
In any case Love is not a viable option for at least two years which leaves us exposed

Unless the Packers suddenly start to see something special in Boyle, I think he or someone else not named Love ends up on the PS as the #3 and the Packers will roll with Rodgers and Love. The Packers chose last season to run the risk of an injury to Rodgers with a completely green Boyle backing him up, I don't see why that line of thinking will change in 2020 just because Love is a rookie. The only thing that changes that will be if the Packers feel that Love is completely not ready to take a regular season snap and they have someone like Boyle who looks better prepared, then they will pretty much be forced into carrying 3 QB's on the 53. There is also the outside chance of Boyle or another camp QB totally impressing the Packers and they decide he is too valuable to try and get to the PS.

Reaction score
Yes you are correct
Bulaga’s market ask, age, and injury history made him almost impossible to keep BUT if you want to function, key elements must become priorities by immediate need....in this case not QBs or RB’s
It appears GB went “best talent” verses “ideal position” I actually also believe in the philosophy that you get the most talented players and build your team around them. If the talent is relatively equal then choose need (there are obviously exceptions.. where you wouldn’t select 4 of the same position group etc..)
You’re not alone though. Many people would select position need and ignore the best talent.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Unless the Packers suddenly start to see something special in Boyle, I think he or someone else not named Love ends up on the PS as the #3 and the Packers will roll with Rodgers and Love. The Packers chose last season to run the risk of an injury to Rodgers with a completely green Boyle backing him up, I don't see why that line of thinking will change in 2020 just because Love is a rookie. The only thing that changes that will be if the Packers feel that Love is completely not ready to take a regular season snap and they have someone like Boyle who looks better prepared, then they will pretty much be forced into carrying 3 QB's on the 53. There is also the outside chance of Boyle or another camp QB totally impressing the Packers and they decide he is too valuable to try and get to the PS.
Yeah I agree. While it may not be ideal to have a rookie QB start, we see it quite often at the top of the pecking order. Its not some anomaly to see a Rookie 1st rounder get early playing time anyway, even if it’s not ideal.
One thing is certain. We have our backup QB and there really shouldn’t be much need to invest resources there for 3-4 years. That’s the hope and that’s some risk offset of losing another position group in the meantime. I know it’s small consolation to those of us wanting Aiyuk or Mimms or Shenaultb, Higgins etc..

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say they keep 3 QBs but only suit up two with Boyle being the other one. Now if he can't cut it and Rodgers is out for an important length of time (depends on our record); then we may have to see Love play.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I realize that Love needs to develop before he's ready to be a starter, but I would be flat shocked if he's not QB2 and I expect that they probably only carry 2 quarterbacks. The only way I see keeping Boyle is if they really love Boyle and want to continue working with him. Maybe they think he can be a backup in Green Bay in the long term.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The interesting take on this whole drafting Love for the future and becoming a run first, run second, play action pass third team... Rodgers should be healthy the entire time and Love will NEVER see the field. Rodgers won't show Love how to become a better QB because all MLF wants Rodgers to do is handoff so that is what the tapes will show. Reading defenses??? don't need to since he only hands the ball off. Rodgers will be gone after 2 years with 50+ million dollars and we as fans better get used to some boring *** football. The Niners did well last year, but damn their games sucked to watch.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it will be nice to introduce new fans to the game off football and not fantasy stats I guess.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The interesting take on this whole drafting Love for the future and becoming a run first, run second, play action pass third team... Rodgers should be healthy the entire time and Love will NEVER see the field. Rodgers won't show Love how to become a better QB because all MLF wants Rodgers to do is handoff so that is what the tapes will show. Reading defenses??? don't need to since he only hands the ball off. Rodgers will be gone after 2 years with 50+ million dollars and we as fans better get used to some boring *** football. The Niners did well last year, but damn their games sucked to watch.

LOL...go elsewhere then. However, can we all just stop with erroneous claims and conjecture. Saying all MLF wants Rodgers to do is turn and hand off the ball is just flat out ignorant.

Jimmy G literally had nearly 4,000 yards passing....4,000. Not 3,000.....not 2,500 but 4,000.

That was 12th highest yards passing figure in the ENTIRE league.

Only 4 QBs broke 4,500

Just stop.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Haha! I actually really enjoyed watching the Niners play, except for those two games. I personally love their style of football. Lots of deception.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So going to SB sucked to watch if a niner fan?

tell you this, 98. I rather them be in SB then not

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So going to SB sucked to watch if a miner fan?

tell you this, 98. I rather them be in SB then not

Right...I found the 49ers incredible to watch. A team that controlled nearly every aspect of a game, and even did to the Chiefs for a time is nothing short of incredible.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Right...I found the 49ers incredible to watch. A team that controlled nearly every aspect of a game, and even did to the Chiefs for a time is nothing short of incredible.
All those that comment that fans shouldn’t settle for just playoffs.

tell that to the lions or browns

Members online

Latest posts