2020 Packers first round pick: Jordan Love, QB

Reaction score
Jimmy G literally had nearly 4,000 yards passing....4,000. Not 3,000.....not 2,500 but 4,000.
Interesting take. Because if Jimmy G can do that? Rodgers can match it with a few less resources.
Haha! I actually really enjoyed watching the Niners play, except for those two games. I personally love their style of football. Lots of deception.
Amen. I really don’t care how we get that Lombardi back in house. We saw the Offense take a small step forward in resources. We lost Graham, Bulaga and Gmo... but picked up Deguara, Dillon, Begelton, Funchess, EQ and Jace (who both had insignificant regular season time) plus Wagner and 3 capable depth OL (which is an absolute rarity compared to previous drafts).
Regardless of Bulaga’s argument.. this O is absolutely better than it was last January. That’s even if we have zero improvement in production from MVS, Lazard.

The Defense lost Martinez and Fackrell, who’s replacements are similar in strength, so that’s arguably a wash. Jurys out on Williams status. We get a better look at Raven Greene and Sullivan, of which the latter is coming on strong and rather quickly. We have lots of young players who really should be making a step in Keke, and Hollman and both of last years 1st rounders..etc.. I just don’t see us ranking any worse (relatively).

We also have much more athletic backup QB. We would’ve gotten destroyed with Boyle as our #2 had Rodgers missed any significant playing time. Boyle’s a #3 QB in double contingency situations.

Last edited:

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Brian Gutekunst foresee the future regarding AR by drafting Love? Since AR stated(from what I have read) that his current position with the team has nothing to do with the Love pick, I'm assuming he will not return.
Insert J.Love. He has a remarkable 1st year at QB, makes the play-offs in the 2nd year, and wins the SB in year 3. Oh, what a pick!!! Could this really happen 3 times for the Packers? And what happens to AR in the meantime?
It's only, "what have you done for me lately" and that applies to everyone.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Insert J.Love. He has a remarkable 1st year at QB, makes the play-offs in the 2nd year, and wins the SB in year 3. Oh, what a pick!!! Could this really happen 3 times for the Packers? And what happens to AR in the meantime?
It would be sweet to win a Super Bowl while Rodgers was still playing elsewhere in the league. But what would tick me off is if Rodgers goes somewhere else and renegotiates a very team-friendly contract with them so they could surround him with talent.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be sweet to win a Super Bowl while Rodgers was still playing elsewhere in the league. But what would tick me off is if Rodgers goes somewhere else and renegotiates a very team-friendly contract with them so they could surround him with talent.
Agreed. The situation is different, but this is Favre 2.0. These first round HOF guys, well some of them, become divas at some point. Rodgers has proved himself no different.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another week goes by and another week where we hear squat from poor picked on #12. Boo Hoo. Have some sack and come out with your demands. Is this the NFL or is it an episode of Green Bay PD Blue? Like watching a dude barricaded in his 25 million dollar palace bargaining with the cops. As we go on, we find out that very few want you and all your baggage. I'll say it again. You have as many Super Bowl wins as Doug Williams. Household name for sure. Yep, you are somethin'. Just keep telling yourself that. Hoorah.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another week goes by and another week where we hear squat from poor picked on #12. Boo Hoo. Have some sack and come out with your demands. Is this the NFL or is it an episode of Green Bay PD Blue? Like watching a dude barricaded in his 25 million dollar palace bargaining with the cops. As we go on, we find out that very few want you and all your baggage. I'll say it again. You have as many Super Bowl wins as Doug Williams. Household name for sure. Yep, you are somethin'. Just keep telling yourself that. Hoorah.
It is like a daytime soap opera. You can miss a month of episodes, come back, and nothing has changed.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just had a chance to take a good look at the Packers schedule. If the GB FO is correct and Love is not ready yet a with Rodgers 12-5 team could easily become a w/o Rodgers 5-12 team. The good news is I have 3 of those wins coming in the last 5 weeks. At that point I will be hoping for a 2-15 squad.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just had a chance to take a good look at the Packers schedule. If the GB FO is correct and Love is not ready yet a with Rodgers 12-5 team could easily become a w/o Rodgers 5-12 team. The good news is I have 3 of those wins coming in the last 5 weeks. At that point I will be hoping for a 2-15 squad.
I’ve long said if Love is in charge for id put the realistic over/under at like 6.5. This defense clicks like it could and a run game a .500 season is more than possible but again would need a top 10 on both fronts if not top 5. That’s assuming Love cannot do anything hardly. If he can be serviceable who knows….we could be a 7 win team with immense promise or a 2 win team looking at a QB in the 2022 first round.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am commenting more on how tough the schedule is than how good the Pack is at positions other than QB.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think if Love is the opening day starter we’re likely looking at either 8-9 or 9-8 record. I fully expect the defense and special teams to both be improved and I think in this scenario our running game is featured more than last year. I think we’ll have problems winning close games in the 4th quarter, expect more turnovers and I seriously doubt that Crosby will hit above 90% of his field goals.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve long said if Love is in charge for id put the realistic over/under at like 6.5. This defense clicks like it could and a run game a .500 season is more than possible but again would need a top 10 on both fronts if not top 5. That’s assuming Love cannot do anything hardly. If he can be serviceable who knows….we could be a 7 win team with immense promise or a 2 win team looking at a QB in the 2022 first round.
All of these things are possible if Rodgers doesn't play. The bigger problem is the QB draft is pretty weak next year compared to prior years. And I don't want to sit through a 2-15 season, although I would if the right guy was available. Even QBs drafted in positions 1 through 15 aren't locks. We'll see. Training Camp and PS first.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Love is guiding the Packers in 2021, I'm fine with a win or two, as long as it is with an evolving Jordan Love that by season end looks promising and a record that gets us a top 2 draft pick, coupled with the pick we get for A-Rod. A 6-11 season (or slightly better) and a #10 (or worse) pick would double suck.

Aaron Jones is a really good RB, but take away the great QB and teams will load the box and shut down Jones. Double up on Adams and you have a rookie WR and JAGS to throw too. Love might end up throwing an equal # of INT's to TD's. Our defense would have to consistently hold teams under 14 points to win games, I don't see that happening with the few changes made to it in the offseason.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love is guiding the Packers in 2021, I'm fine with a win or two, as long as it is with an evolving Jordan Love that by season end looks promising and a record that gets us a top 2 draft pick, coupled with the pick we get for A-Rod. A 6-11 season (or slightly better) and a #10 (or worse) pick would double suck.

Aaron Jones is a really good RB, but take away the great QB and teams will load the box and shut down Jones. Double up on Adams and you have a rookie WR and JAGS to throw too. Love might end up throwing an equal # of INT's to TD's. Our defense would have to consistently hold teams under 14 points to win games, I don't see that happening with the few changes made to it in the offseason.
Good observations. If Love does start and the team can only win 2 games, then it would be time to unload Love and hope a franchise guy os sitting at #2. The upcoming draft class is weak for QBs, and I'd rather have Love succeed than fail, so hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Even the guys picked in the top 5 struggle at QB in the NFL. The game is just played so much faster. If Love starts, and the other personnel changes Gluten made (including the draft) pan out, I'd be happy with a 6 or 7 win season and consistent improvement from Love.

If they draft Rodgers this year (and more likely it would;d be after the season), then maybe we can package some picks and get the BPA, ideally an ILB!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good observations. If Love does start and the team can only win 2 games, then it would be time to unload Love and hope a franchise guy os sitting at #2.

If they draft Rodgers this year (and more likely it would;d be after the season), then maybe we can package some picks and get the BPA, ideally an ILB!
Not necessarily on Love. I don't expect Love to just step in and be an All Pro QB in what basically would be his rookie season. I don't think its a matter of how many games the Packers win, it would be how Love looks from Game #1 to Game #17. Obviously, if he is a complete Train wreck, then you start thinking about drafting his replacement, but I don't think the Packers FO or coaches are even thinking about that. I think we see the typical rookie QB learning curve in play and hopefully by game 17, people are saying "Gute might have found a good one here." My point was that I just don't expect the offense to be that great if Love is running it in 2021. That should mean far less wins than what most might expect and I would rather have a great hear of progress, with few wins and high picks in every round of the draft as a result.

I think your last statement you meant to say "trade" Rodgers ;) But yes, the 2022 draft could see the Packers with 2 top 10 picks in the first round, if things work out the way I think they might if Rodgers sits.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not necessarily on Love. I don't expect Love to just step in and be an All Pro QB in what basically would be his rookie season. I don't think its a matter of how many games the Packers win, it would be how Love looks from Game #1 to Game #17. Obviously, if he is a complete Train wreck, then you start thinking about drafting his replacement, but I don't think the Packers FO or coaches are even thinking about that. I think we see the typical rookie QB learning curve in play and hopefully by game 17, people are saying "Gute might have found a good one here." My point was that I just don't expect the offense to be that great if Love is running it in 2021. That should mean far less wins than what most might expect and I would rather have a great hear of progress, with few wins and high picks in every round of the draft as a result.

I think your last statement you meant to say "trade" Rodgers ;) But yes, the 2022 draft could see the Packers with 2 top 10 picks in the first round, if things work out the way I think they might if Rodgers sits.
First of all, yeah I did mean trade. And I agree - if it is Love starting against the Saints, let's see how he does. The Packers have a fair amount of talent, and hopefully that makes it easier. If he works out, well that would be the perfect scenario, along with getting some picks for Rodgers. And I'd be ok with a losing season as long as the possibility is there.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we got our first look of actual in season game play that matters in the 2022 season from Love last night - albeit in a game many felt was done when he entered.

All of us have heard the folks praising Love this offseason and into preseason. Rodgers said Love was much improved this year...others have cited he looks like an entirely different QB in his process, footwork and arm motion (albeit small aspects, there wasn't a big overhaul). There was the very recent Clubhouse live interview with DeVondre Campbell who interrupted Leavitt to say "He's a starting quarterback" and "He's better than a lot of starting quarterbacks."

Many of us are very SKEPTICAL of course and while Sunday night doesn't automatically christen him a starter in the NFL - only the ignorant Love haters will ignore the fact Love did about everything you could hope a QB subbed in a losing game would do for your team.

The man went 6/9 for 113 yards and a TD. One of his three incompletions wasn't even his fault as he hit Aaron Jones perfectly on a timed route but Aaron straight dropped the thing. Another of his passes was on a 3rd down trying to hero ball the thing into the endzone knowing we needed to do something...if it hadn't been the situation it was he doesn't throw that ball I don't think.

His QBR was 94.1 and his rating was 146.8

VERY SMALL sample size, but a VERY GOOD sampling.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we got our first look of actual in season game play that matters in the 2022 season from Love last night - albeit in a game many felt was done when he entered.

All of us have heard the folks praising Love this offseason and into preseason. Rodgers said Love was much improved this year...others have cited he looks like an entirely different QB in his process, footwork and arm motion (albeit small aspects, there wasn't a big overhaul). There was the very recent Clubhouse live interview with DeVondre Campbell who interrupted Leavitt to say "He's a starting quarterback" and "He's better than a lot of starting quarterbacks."

Many of us are very SKEPTICAL of course and while Sunday night doesn't automatically christen him a starter in the NFL - only the ignorant Love haters will ignore the fact Love did about everything you could hope a QB subbed in a losing game would do for your team.

The man went 6/9 for 113 yards and a TD. One of his three incompletions wasn't even his fault as he hit Aaron Jones perfectly on a timed route but Aaron straight dropped the thing. Another of his passes was on a 3rd down trying to hero ball the thing into the endzone knowing we needed to do something...if it hadn't been the situation it was he doesn't throw that ball I don't think.

I'm a Love skeptic, but he had a great night, with no notice on a hostile field against arguably the best team in the NFC. He passed that test with flying colors.

Now with Rodgers probably out for the year, or rather he should be, to heal - it's time to let Love show what he's got in these last five games. Pride is at stake for this whole team. He'll be under a lot of pressure, not just to perform well, but to win. This is about winning. Give him his chance.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a Love skeptic, but he had a great night, with no notice on a hostile field against arguably the best team in the NFC. He passed that test with flying colors.

Now with Rodgers probably out for the year, or rather he should be, to heal - it's time to let Love show what he's got in these last five games. Pride is at stake for this whole team. He'll be under a lot of pressure, not just to perform well, but to win. This is about winning. Give him his chance.
If Love does indeed start next week and beyond it will be interesting to see who rallies around him and provides all in support. If I were GM i'd be watching very closely for signs of non-support from individuals. Those would become cap cuts for the off season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I will push back only some to the "but to win" portion. We are home vs Bears, home vs Rams, away at Dolphins, home vs Vikings and home vs Lions.

Say you told me Love is starting ALL of those. Personally I expect losses vs Vikings and Dolphins most likely a win vs Bears and I see the Rams and Lions as coin flips. I would want to see him do well more than win, but I would hope we could win 2 or 3.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will push back only some to the "but to win" portion. We are home vs Bears, home vs Rams, away at Dolphins, home vs Vikings and home vs Lions.

Say you told me Love is starting ALL of those. Personally I expect losses vs Vikings and Dolphins most likely a win vs Bears and I see the Rams and Lions as coin flips. I would want to see him do well more than win, but I would hope we could win 2 or 3.
That's reasonable, 2 or 3 wins out of the next 5. And maybe a surprise against the Dolphins or Vikes. The Lions won't be an easy out either. And overall, just solid QB play by Love. He has the same WRs Rodgers had, so 2 or 3 wins would be great.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Yes, very small sample size, but I liked what I saw and as you pointed out, it was consistent with what we have heard over and over from different sources in Green Bay.

All that said, I doubt it changes the opinions of all those who still thing Love was a terrible pick and will never be a good QB.

I hope we get to see Love play the entire game against the Bears. We know Rodgers can do, its time to start putting Love to the full test in these final 5 games.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, very small sample size, but I liked what I saw and as you pointed out, it was consistent with what we have heard over and over from different sources in Green Bay.

All that said, I doubt it changes the opinions of all those who still thing Love was a terrible pick and will never be a good QB.

I hope we get to see Love play the entire game against the Bears. We know Rodgers can do, its time to start putting Love to the full test in these final 5 games.
I admit I'm a Love skeptic, but with the playoffs lost and Rodgers needing time to heal, it's a great opportunity to see what Love can do. This is still a team with a lot of talent and a lot of pride. Love would do well to pick up 2 or 3 wins, but mostly, just play solid QB. For the fans, it will make the last five games interesting.

And in fairness Love inherits the same spotty WR group Rodgers had, although Watson is starting to look very good. Anyway gotta keep that in mind in evaluating how Love performs. I'm looking forward to it.

Members online

Latest posts