2020 Packers first round pick: Jordan Love, QB

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We might have 3-4 more years of Rogers, but he is in decline. I do not see this as a win now move by Gute. I see it as damage control for a year or 2. Get Love ready and he will be good. We just need him to be good as soon as he can be. I think the injury residuals on Rogers results in compromised play. He is not the same as he was 2 years ago. Since he hurt his leg in an opening game 2 years ago, he has struggled. He is still better than most, but our team has relied upon him to cover all of our weaknesses.He just isnt going to play at that level consistently in the future. Surgeries are hard to come back from 100%. We need Love to be good as soon as he can be.

Unless Love bombs out, we have a maximum of 3 years of Rodgers left. The more likely option is 2 more years, imo.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We might have 3-4 more years of Rogers, but he is in decline. I do not see this as a win now move by Gute. I see it as damage control for a year or 2. Get Love ready and he will be good. We just need him to be good as soon as he can be. I think the injury residuals on Rogers results in compromised play. He is not the same as he was 2 years ago. Since he hurt his leg in an opening game 2 years ago, he has struggled. He is still better than most, but our team has relied upon him to cover all of our weaknesses.He just isnt going to play at that level consistently in the future. Surgeries are hard to come back from 100%. We need Love to be good as soon as he can be.
Absolutly true....Love selection is a look ahead....decisions made on Rodgers contract locked them together until 2023
There are two questions that obviously come to mind:
Timing of QB selection... was it a year or two too early?
Is Love the optimal selection?

We will see

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quarterback is very difficult to study. I don't really understand all the nuances of the position or claim to be able to scout QB prospects with any sort of sophistication. Most fans who "scout" QB, assess results, not process*. It's easy to assess results-- anyone can watch a play and see what happened. Knowing what it should all look like from snap to whistle is what I think requires eyes more attuned than mine.

So with that said, this a scouting report that Cheesehead TV got a hold of. It's done by a scouting service that the NFL hires to provide additional input on draftable prospects. I don't know if it's from Blesto, but Blesto is one example of such a scouting service.

I highly recommend the reading.

*As an aside, this is why PFF is so often way off from the NFL when it comes to prospects-- they track results, not process. An NFL scout wants to figure out what a player can do and decide if it will translate to the NFL successfully; PFF largely wants to look at what players did and rank them highly if the results were good in college without necessarily understanding or considering the translation of those results.

If anybody hasn't, this is a really cool glimpse into an actual scouting report.

These kinds of reports put Matt Miller, TDN, and the likes to shame.

Definitely read it, and see what they're looking at.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly ILB and DT weren't improved at all in my opinion. Martinez was durable and played almost all the games possible. He looked very good against Seattle in the playoffs when we dominated the LoS. Against the Niners, he looked like **** because the Niners controlled the line and decimated us. We could have had Ray Lewis back there and he wouldn't performed either. Outside of Clark, we have a bunch of backup DL'ers. Our front office did no favors at all to the interior spine of our defense compared to last year.

I would have loved a WR if one dropped to us, but we needed to take one of those DT's that were available or ILB Patrick Queen. Kirksey might be better than Martinez, but his injury record over the past two years is why he isn't on the Browns right now. If he gets injured or misses any significant time, we will be drastically worse at the ILB position. Hopefully we won't have to deal with this, but if we do we will struggle worse than last year.

So while we possibly improved running the ball... if we fall behind or get into a shootout, we haven't prepared for that with this draft or offseason. Run defense is equal to last year or could be significantly worse if we have injuries. Our offense hasn't improved from last year and if Rodgers goes down... we are screwed with Love as QB because we have no outside weapons for him either. At least right now, Rodgers and Adams can take over a game... Rodgers gets injured and we will look the same as when Kizer played if not worse.

The Love pick could work out amazingly, but right now I'd bet a lot more that it won't work out and we threw away the last few opportunities we had with ARod as our QB. Unfortunately, a 13-3 team and NFCCG participant that had weaknesses exposed heading into the offseason and then not addressing those weaknesses are going to be worse the following year. We were closer to the Super Bowl before the offseason started than we are now.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly ILB and DT weren't improved at all in my opinion. Martinez was durable and played almost all the games possible. He looked very good against Seattle in the playoffs when we dominated the LoS. Against the Niners, he looked like **** because the Niners controlled the line and decimated us. We could have had Ray Lewis back there and he wouldn't performed either. Outside of Clark, we have a bunch of backup DL'ers. Our front office did no favors at all to the interior spine of our defense compared to last year.

I would have loved a WR if one dropped to us, but we needed to take one of those DT's that were available or ILB Patrick Queen. Kirksey might be better than Martinez, but his injury record over the past two years is why he isn't on the Browns right now. If he gets injured or misses any significant time, we will be drastically worse at the ILB position. Hopefully we won't have to deal with this, but if we do we will struggle worse than last year.

So while we possibly improved running the ball... if we fall behind or get into a shootout, we haven't prepared for that with this draft or offseason. Run defense is equal to last year or could be significantly worse if we have injuries. Our offense hasn't improved from last year and if Rodgers goes down... we are screwed with Love as QB because we have no outside weapons for him either. At least right now, Rodgers and Adams can take over a game... Rodgers gets injured and we will look the same as when Kizer played if not worse.

The Love pick could work out amazingly, but right now I'd bet a lot more that it won't work out and we threw away the last few opportunities we had with ARod as our QB. Unfortunately, a 13-3 team and NFCCG participant that had weaknesses exposed heading into the offseason and then not addressing those weaknesses are going to be worse the following year. We were closer to the Super Bowl before the offseason started than we are now.
Accurate analysis with no wild emotion on either side of the apparent argument.
The “win now” attitude is not in the current regimes mindset which is what it is... and even if it was there is probably too much ground and holes to fill to truly compete with the upper echelon teams....13-3 was really not reality
On the flip side it’s probably better to reload than rebuild so we don’t have to live for years in an ugly place at the bottom of the standings
I’m not sold on the run first philosophy and believe we jumped the gun a year or two early on selecting ARs replacement

Reaction score
Disagree
Downgrade at linebacker
Last year a tackling machine that never missed a snap... his point of attack capability was terrible (Which is the reason he’s not back) but the dude was always there and could tackle
This year we have reclaims and don’t knows
And our LBs were awful last year!!!

Massive drop at RT.....Bulaga was a perennial all pro....one of the best in the business.....boardline HOF if it was not for his injuries
Replaced by journeyman Wagner....not even close.

WR is a question but if you think we got better with a CFL guy, a worn out Funchess , and I pray the ****** guys from the past few years miraculously emerge as Rice and Moss .....ok....(snicker). A few have shown flashes of hope but opposing DCoords don’t need to concern themselves after doubling up on Adams

D Line is thin past the Smiths and beast Clarke....hoping Gary will emerge

Hope Stoneberger can step up as well as Tonyun....after that who knows

Secondary should continue to mature and improve....solid

RB same/ditto

Pre draft / post FA we are appreciably weaker
Martinez was a tackling machine.. but that’s only 1 aspect of his position that he graded A. The other aspects of his position bring his overall grade to a C+/B- GB didn’t need to pay a guy 10M to play at that level. You’ve overstated his total package and he’s not here for a reason.

1. You didn’t answer my question. What OT at #30 in this draft is an immediate upgrade over Bulaga?

2. Now after you answer that question (which you conveniently ignored).. Which RT at pick #30 would be an immediate day 1 marked improvement over our current veteran starter, Wagner?

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez was a tackling machine.. but that’s only 1 aspect of his position that he graded A. The other aspects of his position bring his overall grade to a C+/B- GB didn’t need to pay a guy 10M to play at that level. You’ve overstated his total package and he’s not here for a reason.

1. You didn’t answer my question. What OT at #30 in this draft is an immediate upgrade over Bulaga?

2. Now after you answer that question (which you conveniently ignored).. Which RT at pick #30 would be an immediate day 1 marked improvement over our current veteran starter, Wagner?
I didnt insinuate any solutions just observations regarding apparent improvements and regressions across positions....read the post rather than forcing an attack for goodness sake.
Given the fact we have allot of good pieces, we got close last year , we have a HOF QB still really good... the idea to win now is one philosophy to take which is focused on drafting hopefully immediate impact players at positions of need
In no particular order the three biggest holes were / are:
LB
RT
WR

Whether via draft or free agency don’t matter.
Sequence would be based on best available at the time of the pick and if neccesary bundle to move up to grab “gotta haves”
Not sure of personal but Queen and Shanault would have probably been my 1st and 2nd with what ever the best RT was there in the third

Reaction score
I didnt insinuate any solutions just observations regarding apparent improvements and regressions across positions.
Thats fine. That seems to be a theme quite often in here lately. Offer constant criticism but have no solutions whatsoever. At least you admit you don’t have any.

Last edited:

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats fine. That seems to be a theme quite often in here lately. Offer constant criticism but have no solutions whatsoever. At least you admit you don’t have any.
Incorrect...my initial post (if you’d bother to read it and comprehend it) were observstions only.....read the secondary response after your bluster where I’ve offered a fairly straight forward approach to understand what my position going forward would be
I didn’t admit to anything....please take the time to read and think before retorting...
Now that the draft ship had sailed it would be advisable to do what we can to plug holes with castoffs, selective trades, and do allot of hoping that existing players step up and that’s AR still has any fire to continue

Last edited:
Reaction score
Incorrect...my initial post (if you’d bother to read it and comprehend it) were observstions only.....read the secondary response after your bluster where I’ve offered a fairly straight forward approach to understand what my position going forward would be
I didn’t admit to anything....please take the time to read and think before retorting...
Now that the draft ship had sailed it would be advisable to do what we can to plug holes with castoffs, selective trades, and do allot of hoping that existing players step up and that’s AR still has any fire to continue
This thread is about Jordan Love or at least pick #30 and how it was used. Your (and others) ability to turn that into an option at whining and complaining about every other position group shows how your way to express that displeasure is nothing more than broad, unfocused surface contamination.

btw. Don’t answer that question (I asked twice) about how you would use the Love pick at #26/#30 to fix the OT position you diverted to and complained about. I’m no longer interested in your desperate attempt to defend your attack on our entire roster. Just please, if nothing else, can you stick remotely to thread. If nothing else, just say the word LOVE somewhere in your post, even if it’s out of context. :tup:

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread is about Jordan Love or at least pick #30 and how it was used. Your (and others) ability to turn that into an option at whining and complaining about every other position group shows how your way to express that displeasure is nothing more than broad, unfocused surface contamination.

btw. Don’t answer that question (I asked twice) about how you would use the Love pick at #26/#30 to fix the OT position you diverted to and complained about. I’m no longer interested in your desperate attempt to defend your attack on our entire roster. Just please, if nothing else, can you stick remotely to thread. If nothing else, just say the word LOVE somewhere in your post, even if it’s out of context. :tup:
It would be preferable if you actually read what I initially said on this post... it was pretty straight forward and offered what my takes on what I thought was a more positive direction based my beliefs versus what the ultimate direction the team took

Reaction score
It would be preferable if you actually read what I initially said on this post... it was pretty straight forward and offered what my takes on what I thought was a more positive direction based my beliefs versus what the ultimate direction the team took
I took the Liberty of tracking down your original post at your request..and included it fir your convenience..
So here we find ourselves with a disgruntled QB with regressing skills, many holes in a roster in key positions, and a team in SF that will dominate for the next 2-3 years despite what we do.
This is a 10-6 or 9-7 team scratching in the NFCN....we are not going to compete with the big boys inside the Rodgers window....PERIOD
So....here is idea
Trade AR to SF.... they now can take a real run at KC now.....get Aiuk back in return
SF sends Garrapolo to NE who needs a WB and Belicheck likes
NE sends their 2nd rounder to GB to balance the trade
GB uses picks in 2nd round on WR and OT
GB signs Cam Newton at a much lower price to bridge Love
Packers win because they start reloading and remove the toxicity
SF gets a HOF to take a run now
NE wins with getting back A QB who they never should have lost
I’ll respectfully ask a third time..
What pick at #62 would you have used at OT to upgrade or keep Bulaga’s position from any regression? As you complained about earlier. Both in your post#484 and your post #488 just as examples of your professed “observations”

This was your recommendation in post #484 (obviously you can’t have BOTH WR and OT so I’ll assume that was a typo). Let’s pick RT so we don’t have any regression there.
Which guy would you select at RT at #62?

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I took the Liberty of tracking down your original post at your request..

What pick at #62 would you have used at OT to upgrade or keep Bulaga’s position from any regression? As you complained about earlier. Both in your post#484 and your post #488 just as examples of your “observations”

do you really think the 3rd time will be a charm? :)

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I took the Liberty of tracking down your original post at your request..and included it fir your convenience..

What pick at #62 would you have used at OT to upgrade or keep Bulaga’s position from any regression? As you complained about earlier. Both in your post#484 and your post #488 just as examples of your professed “observations”

This was your recommendation in post #484 (obviously you can’t have BOTH WR and OT so I’ll assume that was a typo). Let’s pick RT so we don’t have any regression there.
I would have picked best player at position available in the following order:
LB
WR
OT
Package any of our 4 picks down or other assets if a real target is just out of reach
My memory is not sharpened on the OTs available in Rd 3
Queen
Shanault
Best OT

Or make a move in a trade outside draft
Make sense?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LB
WR
OT
Package any of our 4 picks down or other assets if a real target is just out of reach
Queen
Shanault
Best OT

Make sense?

Queen would not have been there at #30
Laviska was gone before 62...

Try again.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Love bombs out, we have a maximum of 3 years of Rodgers left. The more likely option is 2 more years, imo.
And IF Love does pan out, we all don’t have to suffer a bout of anxiety when/if #12 gets hurt. In the past, when Rodgers went down, the season was over.

I don’t expect Love to be a magician. I DO expect him to be way, way better than past back ups.

I still think Gluten could have waited a year or two on this. But I trust he knows what he’s doing. Truth is, we likely won’t know for a number of years.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LB
WR
OT
Queen
Shanault
Best OT

Make sense?
Makes sense to me. And the pain in this draft is that they could have drafted Queen. He went to Baltimore. They know how to pick ILBs in Baltimore.

But yeah your draft order roughly coincides with where I thought they’d go. Going into the season with Wagner instead of Bulaga is risky. I didn’t think they should renew Bulaga. I did think they’d get OT help early in the draft.

Alas, not to be. Now we wait.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes sense to me. And the pain in this draft is that they could have drafted Queen. He went to Baltimore. They know how to pick ILBs in Baltimore.

But yeah your draft order roughly coincides with where I thought they’d go. Going into the season with Wagner instead of Bulaga is risky. I didn’t think they should renew Bulaga. I did think they’d get OT help early in the draft.

Alas, not to be. Now we wait.
Yes you are correct
Bulaga’s market ask, age, and injury history made him almost impossible to keep BUT if you want to function, key elements must become priorities by immediate need....in this case not QBs or RB’s

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IF Rodgers should go down with an injury, I certainly expect Love to be a vast improvement over prior back ups. In a worst-case situation (Rodgers injured), I’d expect Love to come in and at least, at least play .500 ball until #12 returns.

That said, I hope we never get a chance to find out, if you take my meaning.

And yeah, this thread is about Love. At 21 pages, it’s bound to wander a bit, but shouldn’t.

Staff online

Latest posts