2020 Packers 3rd round pick: Josiah Deguara, TE

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
My Amish mock is not going well LoL
I’m headed for another shutout year. It took me a long time to get even a loose handle on Thompson and I’m starting to see similarities in draft philosophy with Gutekunst which makes sense.
Just thankful we’ve now got what is going to be our 3rd consecutive hall of fame QB in the house.
I know a lot of people were assuming it would be a few disastrous years of total rebuild after Rodgers.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Talk about never giving up on a play. His energy and relentless effort will be infectious, hopefully.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Deguara.

He's a perfect fit for the offense, and he allows us to run the same personnel in different packages.

I expect we'll see a lot of creativity this next season, and a lot of Aaron Jones in the slot.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lance Zierlein gave him a 6th Round Grade. Honestly I thought we could find him as an UDFA but 6th would be ok to secure him.

For a guy to jump a whole 3 rounds? I dunno....This guy better post 650+ yards of total offense by Year 2 with that kind of vote of confidence.

Yeah I'm not against the player. I actually think he'll be pretty good as the hback. And think this eliminates the FB in gb or maybe upgrades or modernizes the FB position in GB.

But had they no traded above a ghost to get Love. They could of certainly got deguara in the 4th round and realistically probably the 5th or 6th. I just don't think the rest of the league values the hback/fb like the Packers. And nobody wants a 6-2 te that's just not big enough for the position of you're talking traditional 2 way guy or even a move guy. 6-4 is kind of the minimum. You saw it Smith go to Vikings last year but you saw Thad moss go undrafted this year...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not against the player. I actually think he'll be pretty good as the hback. And think this eliminates the FB in gb or maybe upgrades or modernizes the FB position in GB.

But had they no traded above a ghost to get Love. They could of certainly got deguara in the 4th round and realistically probably the 5th or 6th. I just don't think the rest of the league values the hback/fb like the Packers. And nobody wants a 6-2 te that's just not big enough for the position of you're talking traditional 2 way guy or even a move guy. 6-4 is kind of the minimum. You saw it Smith go to Vikings last year but you saw Thad moss go undrafted this year...

That's a big assumption and one that I would argue is obviously incorrect.

Deguara's closest comp in the draft is Dalton Keene. They were slotted together in most projections and slated for a similar h-back role in the NFL. After the Packers took Deguara at #94, the Patriots traded up for Keene at #101.

Given that, I don't see why we should assume that Deguara would have lasted until #136, much less the 5th or 6th round. I certainly would have thought that before the draft, but the way it unfolded indicated that the league and the media were not on the same page with these prospects.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thrown by the term H back. Is an H back essentially a slot?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I was OK with Jordan Love as I thought that was a smart selection, pumped about AJ Dillion as he was one of my favorite RBs in this class, I absolutely hate this pick in the third round.
I thought there were better TEs on the table and I know there were better OTs. This pick I cannot get on board with.

Is Dalton Keene and/or Adam Trautman better? Those were the 2 TEs taken in the 3rd round after Deguara. I'm sincerely asking because I don't know. Matt Peart was the lone OL taken in the 3rd after we picked.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a big assumption and one that I would argue is obviously incorrect.

Deguara's closest comp in the draft is Dalton Keene. They were slotted together in most projections and slated for a similar h-back role in the NFL. After the Packers took Deguara at #94, the Patriots traded up for Keene at #101.

Given that, I don't see why we should assume that Deguara would have lasted until #136, much less the 5th or 6th round. I certainly would have thought that before the draft, but the way it unfolded indicated that the league and the media were not on the same page with these prospects.

So you're assuming the Patriots would of taken deguara. But when gute reached for him belichik panicked and traded up to get their 2nd option and the only other hback left in the draft? Or maybe the Patriots wanted Keene all along. I'd agree well never know if he would of been there at 136. But for you to use the words "obviously incorrect" is like you said obviously incorrect, no way to ever know.

Bottom line is not many teams have a use for a 6-2 te or even use a fullback so the chances of another team taking degaura was somewhat unlikely not impossible.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Dalton Keene and/or Adam Trautman better? Those were the 2 TEs taken in the 3rd round after Deguara. I'm sincerely asking because I don't know. Matt Peart was the lone OL taken in the 3rd after we picked.

Peart is gonna be a starter at ot.

Deguara may be better for mlf scheme than Trautman or Keene but that's not the question the question is whether degaura could have been drafted later on.

It seems as though mlf fell in love with a few of these guys no pun intended. I've heard that about Jordan Love and degaura. I'd guess it's true about an Dillion as well. If degaura is kind of a delanie walker which I think he is then it's pretty clear that aj Dillion is kind of like a Henry.

Well see how good mlf is as a talent evaluator

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So you're assuming the Patriots would of taken deguara. But when gute reached for him belichik panicked and traded up to get their 2nd option and the only other hback left in the draft? Or maybe the Patriots wanted Keene all along. I'd agree well never know if he would of been there at 136. But for you to use the words "obviously incorrect" is like you said obviously incorrect, no way to ever know.

Bottom line is not many teams have a use for a 6-2 te or even use a fullback so the chances of another team taking degaura was somewhat unlikely not impossible.

I'm assuming that the league was higher on these guys than the media. Because they are very similar prospects who project to a similar role and were slotted to go in the same area of the draft. And they both went in the 3rd round. I'm not saying anything about the Pats panicking or anything like that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I was thrown by the term H back. Is an H back essentially a slot?

Tight ends have different designations according to role.

A "Y" is an in-line blocker who can handle play-side responsibilities.

A "U" is an in-line blocker who can handle back-side responsibilities.

An "F" is a flex receiver who plays a lot in the slot.

An "H" is a move blocker or wing who can lead block.

Obviously a lot of guys can do more than one of these, but the league uses them to refer to primary roles.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm assuming that the league was higher on these guys than the media. Because they are very similar prospects who project to a similar role and were slotted to go in the same area of the draft. And they both went in the 3rd round. I'm not saying anything about the Pats panicking or anything like that.

Yes exactly they project to a similar role that not many teams have a place for in 2020 NFL. Thus, those two players had a limited market as far as teams that even see what they do well, as valuable enough, to dedicate a roster spot to that type of prospect.

And actually Keene is far more of a traditional te prospect. He's 6-4 253 compared to 6-2 242. Keene definitely has in line as well as move, hback potential while also providing the traditional size advantage that an athletic te brings.

But anyways we disagree I think he was gonna be there for awhile due to his limited market as relatively scheme specific player and you think somebody was gonna trade up to get him

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yes exactly they project to a similar role that not many teams have a place for in 2020 NFL. Thus, those two players had a limited market as far as teams that even see what they do well, as valuable enough, to dedicate a roster spot to that type of prospect.

And actually Keene is far more of a traditional te prospect. He's 6-4 253 compared to 6-2 242. Keene definitely has in line as well as move, hback potential while also providing the traditional size advantage that an athletic te brings.

But anyways we disagree I think he was gonna be there for awhile due to his limited market as relatively scheme specific player and you think somebody was gonna trade up to get him

No, you're putting words in my mouth.

I think the league liked him and Keene more than the media. That's all.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, you're putting words in my mouth.

I think the league liked him and Keene more than the media. That's all.

Ok how about this... All we know for sure is that one team liked deguara in the 3rd round.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ok how about this... All we know for sure is that one team liked deguara in the 3rd round.

Yep, that's all we know for certain. We don't know that he would have lasted into the 4th or 5th, and we don't know that he wouldn't have. And we will never know. I just think the evidence suggests that he would not have.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Kyle Juszczyk has obviously been mentioned as the clear comp for Deguara's projection. And I think that's a good one, as they're similar in size and athletic profile. But another guy who really thrived, mostly as an H-Back, and who LaFleur worked with is Delanie Walker. He's the high end of the spectrum for what you can expect out of this type of player.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Kyle Juszczyk has obviously been mentioned as the clear comp for Deguara's projection.

I've heard that quite a bit... If he is, ask a 49ers fan if Juszczyk would be worth spending a 3rd rd pick on...I bet the consensus would be a resounding yes.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who has the receptions record at Cinci?

Travis Kelce
Brent Celek
Josiah Deguara

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Merely for reference as to what he did in college compared to two excellent TEs from the Bearcats also:

Yards Receiving:
Celek - 1135
Deguara - 1117
Kelce - 875

Receptions:
Deguara - 92
Celek - 91
Kelce - 59

TDs:
Celek - 14
Deguara - 13 (1 rushing)
Kelce - 12 (2 rushing)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s some good company

Now whether it translates to NFL or not no one knows but 100% worth recognizing his prowess coming in from a program with two other recent Pro-Bowl caliber guys for sure.

Members online

Latest posts